What positional group is our best?

NYJ1

Before this offseason, I think the answer to that question was obvious. Mac seemingly had tunnel vision and wanted DL in every draft. Thank God that's over with is all I can say.

Imo, the best units on the team now, at least through 2021, would be DL, OL, or WR? Which unit do you think is our strongest? I'm not so sure it's DL anymore. DL is pretty strong and that's by design.

OL, however with the signing of Morgan , appears to be a top half of the league unit? With the exception of the Guard spots, you could say every potential Tackle had periods better than average play. Don't know if consistency is there, but only time will tell.

WR, remains to be seen how good they'll be but there's no doubt there's talent there. The most unproven is Mims and Moore. Mims played so little that you could say this is still his rookie season. Corey Davis is a proven commodity. Moore looks to be a superstar.

So I ask you what unit would you present as our strongest?

• Upvote 1

Not to be a broken record but until we see how some of these other groups come together it has to be the DLine.  It was the strongest going into the offseason and then added our most expensive FA (Lawson) and solid vets like Rankins and Curry.  QW is probably the best player on the team and guys like JFM and Foley are very good, young and have upside.

I'm not even sure what other groups might be in the running for the best unit.  I think there's a ton of potential but a lot of things have to happen for both the WR group and OL to even enter the conversation.  If Mims breaks out, Davis simply plays the same as he did in Tennessee, and Moore is as special as some people think then the WR group could really be up there I guess.  IMO, it will all hinge on Mims.

• Upvote 3

TE by a long shot. Actually, I think some fans are making too much of the TE depth chart. I think, for where the Jets are in the rebuild, that the current TEs are fine and that it is not a priority to upgrade at the expense of draft assets or cap money right now.  I don't want any more old expensive players on the downside of their careers at this point.  

• Upvote 1

i think it's hard to say.  imo dline doesn't seem to require the same degree of synchronization that an oline needs.  the oline needs to be so much more aware of th blocking schemes for the play.  the dline moves towards the play as it develops.  there are some stunts where dline players will take different gaps and all but it's all about pushing and maintaining position.  so i tink the oline at least will be the best once they all learn to play as a unit.

It's still DL which according to Moving the Chains podcast (that I tend to hold as about as unbiased as can be) has the Jets DL ranked about even with the DLs for the whole of the AFC East division which they put as slight better than middle of the pack (10-15 range). 

OL and WR here were bottom of the league two years ago. Talking about them as potentially the strongest position groups on the team is quite the testament to Joe D. It’s still the DL, imo, but the offense has a chance to pass the defense here for the first time since we thought Chad Pennington was a FQB. 

• Upvote 2