Which scenario do you prefer to see?

jgb

Offense versus defense  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which scenario do you prefer for 2021?

• Jets top 8 ranked offense, bottom 5 ranked defense
    • Offense and defense both ranked 16 or 17
    • Jets #1 overall defense, #20 offense

I'd prefer if there was a top 8 offense, middle of the pack defense as an option.  

Think theres more to it than a better defense but the offense sucks and the opposite.  

But have to say, a poll with 3 choices actually gets to the point, like this one did.  Where the usual JN poll with 15+ choices and the votes split all over the place tells you nothing.

• Upvote 1

I voted for offense. Enough playing not to lose. I want a creative, explosive offense. A top 8 offense would result from an o-line rebuild being complete, a franchise QB in the making, and skills positions set for a few years. Next year, with 2 1sts and 2 2nds, go get the new parts for your defense. 

• Sympathy 2

Top 8 offense, bottom 5 defense.

Every team in the top 8 on offense (scoring offense that is) made the playoffs last year. The final four in the conference title games (including the Super Bowl champ) were 1,2,3 and 6 in scoring offense.

Last year we were 32. If we went from 32 to top 8 in scoring offense in one year it means Zach Wilson is the truth and we're a lock to be competitive for the foreseeable future.

That's infinitely more important that any defensive stat. Douglas has used three first round picks and two second round picks on offense so far. If that pays off with a good offense, we can trust him to fix the defense whenever.

• Upvote 4

The league has adjusted, changed, and created rules to cater to the offense as much as possible over the years and the league is now all about offense.  It's been a minute but forgive me, I want to root for an good and exciting g offensive team.

• Upvote 2

Voted for top 8 offense. I can live with taking a hit on defense because there’s still some pieces to be added there......but having a top 8 offense says that the Kids are coming in and producing right out the gate! We would have enough picks and money next year to build up the defense...esp the secondary 

• Upvote 2

What I want to see depends on how things play out. If the offense ends up 20th overall but Zach looks great and the rookies look solid but some injuries and growing pains skew the overall offensive stats to not look great while the defense absolutely dominates I'm fine with that. If the Defense is ranked bottom 5 but its mainly because of our atrocious CB play an some unfortunate injuries upfront while the Offense is dominant, I'm ok with that as well. 

In general, obviously you want the offense to do well because, well, Zach Wilson.  

I don't think anybody wants to be middle of the pack. Its just not very exciting to see. Although that might just be where we end up. 

Hmmmm. Wow thats really tough. I feel like I'd be more concerned with the D being really bad since that's still where most of our talent is concentrated and (arguably) our best 4-5 players on the team are on defense. Not to mention our HC specialty being defense. I think if we managed an offense in the top 3rd of the league, (for me) the positive of that would definitely be overshadowed if our D was bottom of the league. In that scenario, I could (and likely would) make the argument that it's a completely new D and we just don't have the players that fit yet. But I'd be worried and very disappointed. 

If the O was bad, it would be much less of a shock for me. New D or not, I do have some expectations for that side of the ball between QWill, Mosley, and Lawson. On offense, in comparison, I don't have expectations at all - I have hope. As in; I hope Zach can show we made the right pick. I hope the oline gels quickly. I hope our young playmakers shine. I hope the new scheme looks promising, etc, etc

• Upvote 1