Vote for Zach Wilson for Rookie of the Week

Jetsbb

8 hours ago, Pac said:

The rotund one is correct.  Zach needs to make those routine throws and make better decisions to get whatever ribbon they give you for RoOKie oF teH WeAk.

What he did Sunday was the equivalent of a long drive champion in golf.  You'll hit some awesome looking hero shots and get some props but you can't actually win in the PGA.

Not saying he'll never get there but lets slow down..  he was the worst QB in football hands down through 3 weeks that finally had a good game.  Lets see if we can get 2 in a row.

If you get lucky, you may get a glimpse of that lost girlfriend again

Hes the worst QB in football hands down?  LOL

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, The Crusher said:

No they weren’t. You can throw a long deep accurate pass from the pocket and hit your receiver in stride and 80% of starting QBs in NFL do it .

That pass Zach threw was amazing and that’s not something every QB could do and even fewer could do it consistently. Kid evaded pressure,  literally ran for his life, directed his #1 receirver and threw an absolute needle threader 60 yards in the air. 6O yards in the air! Definition   of hero ball! Not sure your need to downplay it honestly, but you do you. 

Side note, after seeing that, kid can probabley throw a Hail Mary from his own twenty to the end zone! Wow, what a future once Saleh and LaFjeur help him clean up the mundane. 

Meh, this is all a little overblown w/ the "very little QB's can make that throw" stuff.   I see college kids throw similar bombs every Saturday.  Jets fans just arent used to see throws like this but I'd say 75% of the QB's in the league can make that throw/play.  We're getting a little carried away with this stuff.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, this is all a little overblown w/ the "very little QB's can make that throw stuff".   I see college kids throw similar bombs every Saturday.  Jets fans just arent used to see throws like this but I'd say 75% of the QB's in the league can make that throw/play.  We're getting a little carried away with this stuff.  

75% you say? 
LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, this is all a little overblown w/ the "very little QB's can make that throw stuff".   I see college kids throw similar bombs every Saturday.  Jets fans just arent used to see throws like this but I'd say 75% of the QB's in the league can make that throw/play.  We're getting a little carried away with this stuff.  

Now sweet one. Throwing a ball 60 yards in the air on a rope with tight coverage hitting the receiver in between the numbers is pretty sweet. Honestly not sure how many pros can make that throw consistently considering most of them struggle to throw a Hail Mary into the endzone at that range. Yet,  Byron  Leftwich and Jeff George certainly could  and both were crappy NFL QB’s. 

College players? Hmmmm, not sure on that one either. Considering like 5 rookie QBs have ever tossed two 50 yard plus passes in the NFL during their rookie season you might be reaching there.

But we knew the kid could do that, it’s exactly what he did at BYU. It’s why he was the second pick of the draft and we are having this conversation. It’s the accuracy on the passes from the pocket and the ability to make the throws he must at a high enough rate to not need a miracle finish to win. That’s the thing for me. Kid should have put the game away on the out to Davis period!

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ooooo look at Mahomes roll out and direct traffic and then throw an absolute dime, 60 yards in the air for a TD at the critical moment of the game.  

Why cant we ever get one of those, when will the Jets get one????

Happens and then some Jets fans want us to stop getting carried away, that was hero ball.  I'd rather see Mac Jones play Pennington ball and throw 3 yard passes and lose a game.  

Makes sense to me

Passst, it’s Hero ball when Mahommes does it too. He has just done it at a high enough rate to deserve the hero worship he gets. Zach may do that as well one day, but for now making the routine throws from the pocket when he needs to is the priority.

Also! You guys acting like Hero Ball as a totally negative thing is hilarious. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed.  The ball traveled 56 yards in the air, that’s not some freakish feat.   Nice play, but hardly rare to see in college or pro ball. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In the Jet game Mac threw for 186 yards in his only win.  

Otherwise he put up 16, 13 and 17 points all in losses.

We need to stop pretending like this Mac Jones is some type of Wunderkind.  

I didn’t realize I was doing that. Thought I was clear that he’s a low ceiling player probably at his potential on a team that’s protecting him.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I didn’t realize I was doing that. Thought I was clear that he’s a low ceiling player probably at his potential on a team that’s protecting him.

Not everything is about you, you know :-)

Seriously, I didn't mean to reference you there.  Just overall, like NFL commentators and former QB's claiming he would be the #1 pick if the draft was done over again.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

ZW was 21 of 34 (with two bad drops and a WR slipping)

We're talking around like the two big ones were the only completions all day.

He made 19 routine throws and 2 spectacular ones.  We love the routine throws around here - somehow ZW doesn't get credit for the 20 because he made 2 great ones.  

Why so many Jet fans can't accept their QB had a good game is strange.

Get that and it’s certainly the best game he had. But, he missed two throws at the end to put it away and put the game in the hands of fate. Nobody is saying he didn’t have a good game. The point is he needs to put games  away when he has the chance, he simply didn’t. It’s ok he’s a rookie on a All rookie team for the most part. But, I think the fans like myself have the right to be weary of what we saw. That was a good game. Some of this boatd is acting like it’s a game where he arrived and to not join the circle jerk is a burn able at the stake offense. Personally I don’t. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

100%. For the little I've watched so far, because of work on Sundays, I have not seen any sort of accuracy or touch on the throws that are supposed to be some of his strengths. I get he's under duress the first couple of games, but I need to see him clean that up soon. I like the progress of getting out of the pocket and throwing ropes downfield, but he's got to also get much better on what's open as well. We didn't see that lack of decision making in training camp. This will bug me if we took what was his strength and made him hesitant... 

The accuracy is a concern, all leads back to his fundamentals.  He's just out of whack in the pocket, doesnt look comfortable in those situations and his footwork is jacked.  Unless it's a 3 step drop, first read and the ball is out, he's been money in those situations.  It's when it calls for a longer drop back or having to work through progressions, that's when the accuracy issues come out because he's not doing a good job of resetting and squaring up and delivering the ball on time.  Short, high, behind receivers.  Needs to do a better job of throwing guys open, etc.  All that said, he's a baby, plenty of time to get better.  I really hope he/they take the bye week to get him focused on fundamentals.  If he's able to work those bad habits out, whoa, look out! 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  The ball traveled 56 yards in the air, that’s not some freakish feat.   Nice play, but hardly rare to see in college or pro ball. 

I think part of it is the ease in which it looks.  Just seems very natural and effortless.  Moreover, the one to Davis, he was literally on the run.  

Kind of thing that makes you believe it's something he'll be able to do regularly.  

Additionally, I would be interested to see how fast it got there, I get the sense - his 56 yards is getting there a lot faster than those college kids you reference.  Didn't have a tremendous loft on it.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not everything is about you, you know :-)

Seriously, I didn't mean to reference you there.  Just overall, like NFL commentators and former QB's claiming he would be the #1 pick if the draft was done over again.

I Pay extra attention when it’s you Fido. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Passst, it’s Hero ball when Mahommes does it too. He has just done it at a high enough rate to deserve the hero worship he gets. Zach may do that as well one day, but for now making the routine throws from the pocket when he needs to is the priority.

Also! You guys acting like Hero Ball as a totally negative thing is hilarious. 

Actually it’s not.  It’s a great throw by a great QB when Mahomes does it.  
Mahomes had a thread when he made a throw like that in his first preseason game.  
Hero ball.  New take of 2021.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It's when it calls for a longer drop back or having to work through progressions, that's when the accuracy issues come out because he's not doing a good job of resetting and squaring up and delivering the ball on time.  ! 

I suspect that's mostly because he has the worst OL in the NFL....who far too often don't just get beat but simply allow free rushers without even being touched.

His internal clock has to be super fast under those circumstances. 

This past week he had a bit of time, not a lot but some and I can only think of two times where a guy ran free at him (which is two too many, but they're getting better) and he looked MUCH better in the pocket.  Went through his progressions and his footwork looked better than it did in week 1, where his footwork was mostly solid - before the beatings started.

Weeks 2 and 3 his footwork was a mess, no doubt.  But again, based on last week it seems he was able to get his footwork back, mostly, on track and made a lot of clean throws from the pocket.  Can it be better, of course...But I'm seeing progress and right now that's all we can be looking for from a rookie QB thrown into the mess that the NYJ are right now.

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually it’s not.  It’s a great throw by a great QB when Mahomes does it.  
Mahomes had a thread when he made a throw like that in his first preseason game.  
Hero ball.  New take of 2021.  

Thank you, didn’t realize. Was I first person to say it? Nice! 

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Now sweet one. Throwing a ball 60 yards in the air on a rope with tight coverage hitting the receiver in between the numbers is pretty sweet. Honestly not sure how many pros can make that throw consistently considering most of them struggle to throw a Hail Mary into the endzone at that range. Yet,  Byron  Leftwich and Jeff George certainly could  and both were crappy NFL QB’s. 

College players? Hmmmm, not sure on that one either. Considering like 5 rookie QBs have ever tossed two 50 yard plus passes in the NFL during their rookie season you might be reaching there.

But we knew the kid could do that, it’s exactly what he did at BYU. It’s why he was the second pick of the draft and we are having this conversation. It’s the accuracy on the passes from the pocket and the ability to make the throws he must at a high enough rate to not need a miracle finish to win. That’s the thing for me. Kid should have put the game away on the out to Davis period!

I just told JetNut 85% of the league can make that play but I'm bad at math.  Someone do it for me.  The easiest way to do this is to talk about who cant and the only guys who cant do what Zach did Sunday are Brady, Jones, Cousins, Bridgewater, Mills.  Rest of the league?  No problem. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's made plenty of them.  Tape the games, if you want to get an accurate depiction of his performance.

He's made more than few very pretty touch passes throughout the 4 games.

He wasn't hesitant at all last week either.

I was only able to watch the first Qtr, and saw him miss a bunch of throws that he should have made. Not saying he doesn't have good touch, it's just not his strength right now, and we didn't see much of that type of miss in training camp.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I suspect that's mostly because he has the worst OL in the NFL....who far too often don't just get beat but simply allow free rushers without even being touched.

His internal clock has to be super fast under those circumstances. 

This past week he had a bit of time, not a lot but some and I can only think of two times where a guy ran free at him (which is two too many, but they're getting better) and he looked MUCH better in the pocket.  Went through his progressions and his footwork looked better than it did in week 1, where his footwork was mostly solid - before the beatings started.

Weeks 2 and 3 his footwork was a mess, no doubt.  But again, based on last week it seems he was able to get his footwork back, mostly, on track and made a lot of clean throws from the pocket.  Can it be better, of course...But I'm seeing progress and right now that's all we can be looking for from a rookie QB thrown into the mess that the NYJ are right now.

Meh, it's ugly in clean pockets too but like I said, it's week 4, he's a baby with plenty of room to grow.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

85% couldn’t roll out and avoid the sack.  85% can’t throw an accurate dime 60 yards.  Combine the two

Easily.  Without a shadow of a doubt, 85% of the league makes that play.

It's ok Jet Nut, it's not an insult on Zach.  I'm glad we're part of the 85% and you should be too! 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I just told JetNut 85% of the league can make that play but I'm bad at math.  Someone do it for me.  The easiest way to do this is to talk about who cant and the only guys who cant do what Zach did Sunday are Brady, Jones, Cousins, Bridgewater, Mills.  Rest of the league?  No problem. 

Are we talking about the 60 yard rope or the missed routine passes? Threads moving quick, fat kid struggling to keep up.