Boomer Esiason on Zach Wilson

maury77

22 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

That's the way it should be but I want an answer on QB as soon as possible. He's the #2 OA pick and he should play or the Jets should move on.

I don't think Zach could win an honest QB competition against any mid to top tier backup QB.

Sounds like you already have your answer.

• Upvote 3

Boomer is acting like this team is talented at every position other than QB….Zach is not giving up 30 points every game on D. He is not the reason we aren’t winning. When you give up 30 points a game and you can’t run the ball can’t force turnovers…your asking the kid to put the team in his back and make it better…that’s ALOT to ask from a rookie QB. Your asking him to win a shootout every game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Wow. That's pretty brutal stuff that definitely seems like it's coming from defensive players in the locker room.

There is no evidence that this is even happening. If it was the beat writers would be all over it. This is just speculation and trolling by Boomer and of course Jets fans believe every word.

The Media trolling of Jets fans continues….Good job security.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wasn't sure if I should post this but I have a gut feeling this is the week Zach surprises everyone with a breakout game.  Basically, everyone is down on him (including me) so it would be the perfect week for him to surprise us all.  

You just ruined it. It was happening and then you went ahead and put your post count above the team. 

Now he'll have 5 picks. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s brutal. Boomer is a Jets fluffer normally and for him to say that Zach Wilson gives the team *no chance of winning* and that he shouldn’t be playing, that’s as harsh as Boomer will get. 

He came on WSCR a month ago and said the exact same thing about Justin Fields.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

You just ruined it. It was happening and then you went ahead and put your post count above the team. 

Now he'll have 5 picks. 

That would mean a huge improvement in his accuracy!  Didn't we hear the reason he threw no INTs last week was because "his accuracy was so bad that not even the defenders could get near his passes".  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That would mean a huge improvement in his accuracy!  Didn't we hear the reason he threw no INTs last week was because "his accuracy was so bad that not even the defenders could get near his passes".  

You joke, but Zach's major improvement since earlier in the season is the reduction in turnovers. He had 7 picks in his first three career starts and has 4 total since then. 

But I guess the Devil asked for his passing accuracy in return. 

:(

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wasn't sure if I should post this but I have a gut feeling this is the week Zach surprises everyone with a breakout game.  Basically, everyone is down on him (including me) so it would be the perfect week for him to surprise us all.  

That’s the thing though.  This is about the exact point in his rookie season that Darnold gave us false hope.  Wilson having a nice or even great game against Miami would very likely just be another one of these to this fanbase:

charlie brown lucy GIF by Maudit

It would actually be better in some ways for Wilson to continue to suck so we have a firm grasp of what we have in the kid.  I’m not interested in false hope.

49 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You joke, but Zach's major improvement since earlier in the season is the reduction in turnovers. He had 7 picks in his first three career starts and has 4 total since then. 

Spiking the ball into the turf certainly is one method to reducing turnovers.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He's clearly playing smarter football.  

He's making better decisions and getting rid of the ball faster, seems to be more in rhythm with the offense...It's great to see.  Even the INT's he has thrown since those first three weeks - are mainly due to off target passes and not misreads or forced throws.  

That was the big concern for most people (well, for me at least) Making routine swing passes and 10 yard down-n-ins in stride was never anything I was concerned about. But here we are! 

If he can figure out the whatever F is going on his head, honestly he can take a big leap very quickly...

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's clearly playing smarter football.  

He's making better decisions and getting rid of the ball faster, seems to be more in rhythm with the offense...It's great to see.  Even the INT's he has thrown since those first three weeks - are mainly due to off target passes and not misreads or forced throws.  

That was the big concern for most people (well, for me at least) Making routine swing passes and 10 yard down-n-ins in stride was never anything I was concerned about. But here we are! 

If he can figure out the whatever F is going on his head, honestly he can take a big leap very quickly...

I seriously can’t understand how you can say “he’s clearly playing smarter football” and “it’s great to see” the decisions he’s making. You’re seeing things nobody else is seeing.

I can understand rooting and feeling wanting the kid to turn it around, but posts like this one you just left are borderline delusional at this point.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I seriously can’t understand how you can say “he’s clearly playing smarter football” and “it’s great to see” the decisions he’s making.

I can understand rooting and feeling wanting the kid to turn it around, but posts like this one you just left are borderline delusional at this point.

His decision making has been fine since he returned from injury. His problem has been terrible accuracy. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I seriously can’t understand how you can say “he’s clearly playing smarter football” and “it’s great to see” the decisions he’s making. You’re seeing things nobody else is seeing.

And this is how I know you're a fan dug in to one position and unwilling to see the things he's doing well.

Go rewatch weeks 1-3 -

Then go and watch the past three weeks.  

You'll see a QB, throwing the ball away when he should, you'll see a QB checking down when he should, you'll see him not forcing the ball deep when it's not there, you'll see a QB not throwing into double coverage when it's not there...ALL of those things were major issues those first three weeks - I'm sure you wrote many posts destroying him for it...

His time of release in the Eagles game was the fastest of his career and substantially better than anything we saw from him earlier.

Can he speed up his reads? Sure - Can he still make better decisions? Sure - and he has to....but he's gotten much better - it's night and day from where he was....

Zach's problem right now is accuracy.  and it's wildly off - far too often....

In other words, he's getting the ball out - faster, to the right receiver - more often - but he's just not putting the ball where it needs to be.  

You want to argue with that - call me delusional for that...I say good for you, but I won't respond any longer - cause we're just not seeing things the same way and it's pointless...

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Last week, was the first week he didnt throw an INT a game all season and lets be real, he's lucky he didnt but I digress, he was turnover free which is nice to see.  That said, I dont think anyone was expecting 2-4 picks a game to be the norm, at least, I hope not.  I'd like to see him go a couple of games without turning it over before we say he's made a "major improvement".  A pick a game, is not good.  Especially when you dont throw TD's to make up for it.

Just now, JiFapono said:

Last week, was the first week he didnt throw an INT a game all season and lets be real, he's lucky he didnt but I digress, he was turnover free which is nice to see.  That said, I dont think anyone was expecting 2-4 picks a game to be the norm, at least, I hope not.  I'd like to see him go a couple of games without turning it over before we say he's made a "major improvement".  A pick a game, is not good.  Especially when you dont throw TD's to make up for it.

The turnovers have improved. "Major" is in the eye of the beholder. 

He threw 7 of his 11 interceptions in his first 3 career starts. He's thrown 4 in his last 6 starts. And a lot of rookie QBs over the years have struggled with picks. I never worry too much about picks with rookie QBs.

I'm much more worried about his accuracy issues than his interceptions. 

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The turnovers have improved. "Major" is in the eye of the beholder. 

He threw 7 of his 11 interceptions in his first 3 career starts. He's thrown 4 in his last 6 starts. And a lot of rookie QBs over the years have struggled with picks. I never worry too much about picks with rookie QBs.

I'm much more worried about his accuracy issues than his interceptions. 

Come'on, 4 out of the last 6 starts?  I'd say we're lucky another full game of New England isnt part of the equation.  He had 10 attempts before going out of the game.  In full starts?  Last week was the first one without a turnover and as you said, it was also arguably the worst he's looked since that 4-pick game vs. NE.  45% comp. is his lowest of the year.  He was atrocious. 

Celebrating him not throwing multiple picks a game is weird but fair, I guess, he's made progress.  Personally, I'd still like to see him at least go back-to-back games without a turnover before I get excited, especially considering he was trash the first time he didnt turn it over.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Come'on, 4 out of the last 6 starts?  I'd say we're lucky another full game of New England isnt part of the equation.  He had 10 attempts before going out of the game.  In full starts?  Last week was the first one without a turnover and as you said, it was also arguably the worst he's looked since that 4-pick game vs. NE.  45% comp. is his lowest of the year.  He was atrocious. 

Celebrating him not throwing multiple picks a game is weird but I fair, I guess, he's made progress.  Personally, I'd still like to see him at least go back-to-back games without a turnover before I get excited, especially considering he was trash the first time he didnt turn it over.

No one is “celebrating” anything. It’s just data. His interceptions have gone down appreciably. 

and it’s really 4 picks in his last 5 full games OR 4 picks in his last 21 quarters of play, however you prefer to look at it. The trend is the same. 

edit: 21

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

No one is “celebrating” anything. It’s just data. His interceptions have gone down appreciably. 

and it’s really 4 picks in his last 5 full games OR 4 picks in his last 24 quarters of play, however you prefer to look at it. The trend is the same. 

I agree. When you watch it you can tell he is making the correct read most of the time. And he looks more comfortable within the offense. 

The mind numbing problem though, is that even when he makes the correct read, the passes are off by a few inches. The short throws are also atrocious and it's a mystery to me. Is it mechanics, yips, overthinking? Hopefully he gets that squared away. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

and it’s really 4 picks in his last 5 full games OR 4 picks in his last 21 quarters of play, however you prefer to look at it. The trend is the same. 

Forgive me, when I saw you say that it is a "major improvement", I interpreted that as you are celebrating the data, but my point is, 2-4 picks a game was not sustainable so it's a silly data point to get excited about because he is still throwing a pick a game.  Thats the trend.  1 game without throwing a pick is nice but not a trend.  And I'd like to see a trend but the funny thing is, I really dont mind picks.  It happens, it's the NFL but you have to throw TD's to make up for it and unfortunately, that's not the case with Zach so it's even more important we see a trend of him not turning the ball over each game.

20 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Celebrating him not throwing multiple picks a game is weird but fair, I guess, he's made progress.  Personally, I'd still like to see him at least go back-to-back games without a turnover before I get excited, especially considering he was trash the first time he didnt turn it over.

I’d argue his completion percentage was actually inflated  because before the two garbage time drives his completion percentage was around 38% and he had thrown for only 95 yards.   His game was actually uglier than those final stats.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

but my point is, 2-4 picks a game was not sustainable so it's a silly data point to get excited about because he is still throwing a pick a game.  Thats the trend.  1 game without throwing a pick is nice but not a trend. 

Not quite. Since the Falcons game, he is throwing less than one pick per game. (whether you include the second NE game or not) He's thrown two interceptions since the first quarter in London against the Falcons. That's two interceptions in the last 17 quarters of play (4.25 games). 

Just now, sec101row23 said:

I’d argue his completion percentage was actually inflated  because before the two garbage time drives his completion percentage was around 38% and he had thrown for only 95 yards.   His game was actually uglier than those final stats.  

Definitely. 

Last week was his second worst game of the season, IMO. He was considerably worse than his final stats. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

The mind numbing problem though, is that even when he makes the correct read, the passes are off by a few inches. The short throws are also atrocious and it's a mystery to me. Is it mechanics, yips, overthinking? Hopefully he gets that squared away. 

This is the big issue. If he doesn't fix this, he won't make it to the end of next season here

Just now, slimjasi said:

Not quite. Since the Falcons game, he is throwing less than one pick per game. (whether you include the second NE game or not) He's thrown two interceptions since the first quarter in London against the Falcons. That's two interceptions in the last 17 quarters of play (4.25 games). 

What are you doing?  What are you arguing?  Are you arguing facts with me?  I'm very confused.  I dont know what you're making up or what this had to do with what I said but I will say it for the last time and maybe it will help?  I dont know, you're confusing me.

Last Sunday, was the first game that Zach Wilson started and finished in which he did not throw an interception.  That is a verifiable fact.  Your "not quite" is totally irrelevant to that fact. 

Just now, JiFapono said:

What are you doing?  What are you arguing?  Are you arguing facts with me?  I'm very confused.  I dont know what you're making up or what this had to do with what I said but I will say it for the last time and maybe it will help?  I dont know, you're confusing me.

Last Sunday, was the first game that Zach Wilson started and finished in which he did not throw an interception.  That is a verifiable fact.  Your "not quite" is totally irrelevant to that fact. 

LOL - What are you doing? 

I pointed out that Wilson's interceptions have dropped appreciably in recent weeks - you then got mad about it. lol

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

My "not quite" was in response to this: "so it's a silly data point to get excited about because he is still throwing a pick a game.  Thats the trend"

As I alluded to with data, that statement wasn't true. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

LOL - What are you doing? 

I pointed out that Wilson's interceptions have dropped appreciably in recent weeks - you then got mad about it. lol

Mad? No.  Confused. Yes. I told you something that is fact, and you proceed to say, "not quite" and started talking about something different.  It made no sense, so I clarified for you because I love you and it was a little concerning.