Texans fire David Culley: Potential Jets draft implication.

JTJet

30 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Best scenario for the Jets would be the Jaguars taking a left tackle to protect Lawrence, and the Texans taking a QB. That would let one of the top pass rushers drop to the Jets at 4. 

Doubtful it happens though. 

Why would Houston take a QB? Mills was excellent and this could be a precursor to hiring Flores and keeping Watson though the NFL should prevent that.

18 hours ago, doitny said:

there not drafting a QB. Mills was pretty good. lets hope they take an OL so we can get a good Edge.

From my unprofessional eye ,watching video clips of players, reading Tankathon, Walters, PFF, ect., Im starting to think Hamilton is the pick at #4 or a slight trade down. There seems to be a decent amount of edge rushers to take if Hutch and Thibs are gone (and if Karlaftis doesn't grade out).  Seems to be talent at Edge at 10 and even possibly in round 2. Ideally I'd love to see (if no trades) #4 S Hamilton, #10 LB Nakobe Dean, #36 TE Trey McBride, and at #40 Edge Kingsley Enagbare/Jermaine Johnson/ best available edge.

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

From my unprofessional eye ,watching video clips of players, reading Tankathon, Walters, PFF, ect., Im starting to think Hamilton is the pick at #4 or a slight trade down. There seems to be a decent amount of edge rushers to take if Hutch and Thibs are gone (and if Karlaftis doesn't grade out).  Seems to be talent at Edge at 10 and even possibly in round 2. Ideally I'd love to see (if no trades) #4 S Hamilton, #10 LB Nakobe Dean, #36 TE Trey McBride, and at #40 Edge Kingsley Enagbare/Jermaine Johnson/ best available edge.

i think it depends on if we get a top WR in FA. if we dont i can see #10 being a WR and if thats the case #4 has to be an Edge.

WR is the most important skill position next to QB. we have a chance to get the best or at worst the 2nd best in the draft. i dont know how we pass that up. and i dont see any top WRs who are still young enough for another contract come play with the #32 QB in the league. Wilson has to show he can put up big passing numbers before we get top skill WRs and TEs in FA.

and as safety goes i am very upset they didn't bring Nas back to play it. apparently, his conversion to LB didn't work out. he played ST the whole year. and now that Quincy Williams is here and played well and we play alot of nickel with 2 LBs i don't see where he fits in at LB. he should have been playing safety once he lost the LB job to QW.

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

i think it depends on if we get a top WR in FA. if we dont i can see #10 being a WR and if thats the case #4 has to be an Edge.

WR is the most important skill position next to QB. we have a chance to get the best or at worst the 2nd best in the draft. i dont know how we pass that up. and i dont see any top WRs who are still young enough for another contract come play with the #32 QB in the league. Wilson has to show he can put up big passing numbers before we get top skill WRs and TEs in FA.

and as safety goes i am very upset they didn't bring Nas back to play it. apparently, his conversion to LB didn't work out. he played ST the whole year. and now that Quincy Williams is here and played well and we play alot of nickel with 2 LBs i don't see where he fits in at LB. he should have been playing safety once he lost the LB job to QW.

I would not be against taking a Wr at #10. Anything to support Zach Wilson. I just haven't fell head over heels about any of the top 10 Wrs (yet) at #10. I think we have a great piece in place with Alijah Moore and while Corey Davis had his ups and downs I am willing to give him another chance as one of our reliable Wrs. Berios is an absolute find off the Pats practice squad (not enough credit given to GM and coaches for his development). i think Berrios can have a major role next season at Wr as opposed to this season where he didnt get in until injury.. The rest is up for grabs and like you mentioned, a #10 Wr would also fit in perfectly. Just who? And are they worthy of being chosen at #10.

I am also starting to lean towards the idea of something mentioned in a previous thread that by improving the defense we are indeed supporting Zach. Too many times our defense struggled to get off the field and ate up time of possession and playing from behind.

I am likely to change my thoughts on this as more information is presented in the combine/senior bowl/ect

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sackdance said:

I think Flores can and will do better than this scenario. 

The Dolphins made a big mistake. 

Agreed. It’s strange, I would think they have a candidate but who knows. I know it’s the Dolphins but that’s  a serious blow to the team, potential FA’s and potential coaches. I am all for dysfunction in Sea world.

22 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Culley didn't deserve to get fired. He did a solid job with the dysfunctional hand that he was dealt.

I hope he got a decent contract and can enjoy his HC salary for a few years.

Edit: Just checked - the Texans gave Culley a FIVE YEAR deal.

He can retire and still get paid his HC salary by Houston for the next 4 years. Not bad.

My understanding is that only two years were guaranteed.

I suspect he was always a stop gap and had very little chance of lasting more than a year.

Jeez - 
All this leverage Watson has - does he get to pick the HC so he stays in Houston, does he get to input on the draft, or does he bolt to Miami?  The freakin' dude should probably be in jail...

Cannot wait to see where his aircraft carrier anchor of a salary ends up

...here is a recent image if Watson enjoying his time away from football.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

918f288ef8f315ea8bb96ea1b631f60f.jpg