Draft Review 2022

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I think you are wrong overall, but of course have a right to your opinion, which I do respect. It's true that Thib and Hutchinson are not in the same tier with Chase, Garrett, or the Bosas. Neal and Ikwonu (and perhaps Cross) are all better than Andrew Thomas, probably Becton, and Wills too. Neal is at least as good as Sewell. There's no Ja'mar Chase in the WR group, but there are a number of excellent prospects, such as Wilson, Olave, Burks, Williams, that match up well with Jeudy, Smith, or Ruggs. You're not going to find the amazingly even level of quality of the 2020 draft -- that was historic, but this group matches well with 2021. LB doesn't have a Parsons, but again it's deep in quality. TE is better than the last few years, although no Pitts. It's just a different dynamic, not necessarily worse. I'd hope the Jets can trade back a couple of spots because the value will be better and they will pick up a second or third, which is gold. Overall, I like this draft. Past the #4 pick, it's good for the Jets.

I do not think any of the wrs your quoted match up with smith or waddle or jeudy.

I am dubious if the oline are as good as sewel or slater

no lbs close to parsons

No wr cloe to chase and others are suspect

No one, even sauce is as good as surtain

Jaeln phillips picked like 18 last year would probably be the best pass rusher from this year.

No TE close to pitts

Now regarding the jets, the top players are either in non premium positions or in a positions we are not likely to draft (oline).  I'll say that Douglas will show a ton of guts if he picks ekonwu or neal.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do not think any of the wrs your quoted match up with smith or waddle or jeudy.

no lbs close to parsons

Jaeln phillips picked like 18 last year would probably be the best pass rusher from this year.

No TE close to pitts

Now regarding the jets, the top players are either in non premium positions or in a positions we are not likely to draft (oline).  I'll say that Douglas will show a ton of guts if he picks ekonwu or neal.

Take outliers like Pitts, Chase, Bosa  or Parsons out of the equation and I think there's not a lot of difference. Youre picking elite standouts, which they are. But that doesn't represent the overall draft class. We'll see, but I don't see a lot of daylight between Wilson/Olave and Jeudy/Smith. Slater has been better than advertised; Sewell less. That's the way every draft plays out. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Take outliers like Pitts, Chase, Bosa  or Parsons out of the equation and I think there's not a lot of difference. Youre picking elite standouts, which they are. But that doesn't represent the overall draft class. We'll see, but I don't see a lot of daylight between Wilson/Olave and Jeudy/Smith. Slater has been better than advertised; Sewell less. That's the way every draft plays out. 

Yeah some of these guys will be pretty good but I see some real blah potential as well.  The jets just have to draft the good ones.

• Upvote 1

Such a fun month ahead. Enjoyed the Clayton essay, agree on the need to come away with insurance at tackle...I like the top tackles. You may get your wish, the Jets have shown an interest in Cross, maybe he's the pick at 10 if they go edge at 4 and Drake London is gone. The Drake London fans might be disappointed, it may depend on Malik Willis or another qb being drafted early pushing down choices to the Jets at 10. I'd like to see them trade down from 10, if the Eagles want to move up.

I'd love the Jets to grab either of the Georgia tackles Wyatt or Davis if we traded down a few spots from 10 but it's not happening.

Not sure about Thibs. Obviously talented but veteran film watchers say he takes plays off, doesn't play to the whistle on every down, not that great a bend.  Chad Reuter of the NFL mocks Trayvon Walker as the Jets pick No.4 pick with Thibs falling to 8. Someone else has Walker going 1 to the Jags with Malik Willis going to the Lions and Sauce the pick at 4.  Thibs will likely be there at 4, will the Jets pass on him?

Tony Pauline hears the same as Reuter is mocking, that Trayvon Walker is going 1.

You liked Mac Jones last year, right?  I don't remember your warning on our second-banana qb pick...but I laughed. The jury's out on boy wonder but Tom Shane has your back. If Mekhi Becton is penciled in to protect his blind side, with no legitimate alternative if Becton goes down...I would not bet on Wilson staying healthy under center through 17 games.

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Fair .. but agree to disagree on thibs. He scares the sh*t out of me. Seems like the type that will dominate in his own terms ... like during a contract year ... and unless he is on KC or TB take a lot of plays off.

For me

Hutch
Ekownu
London
Thibs
Wilson

In that order.

Neal after a gap.

no offense but London @ 3... LOL 

51 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Walker had 3 sacks last year. He is not a pass rusher.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He had 6 sacks last year. He wasn't asked to rush the passer most of the time. It's not an attacking style defense. It's an assignment based defense. They moved him around. Even dropped him into coverage. NFL  teams understand that and think that if he stays at end in the NFL and refines his pass rushing skills, he's going to give any offense a really hard time. That's why he's become a top 5 pick.. Carl Lawson had 6 sacks his last year with the Bengals. He had a bunch of pressures though. We were glad to get him. It isn't just about sacks.

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2022 at 6:58 AM, clayton163v said:

Cross is Brick.  Same guy.  He reminds me of the Giants Andrew Thomas.  A dancing bear.  These guys never fail.  Cross just needs to add some strength and he will be a dominant blocker for a decade.  While I love Ekwonu and Neal, Cross is a much better fit for a wide zone scheme. 

If Cross truly is Brick, I'd be okay taking him at #4.  Basically a cornerstone piece for a decade who helped us to 2 AFC CGs, despite a below average QB.

6 hours ago, genot said:

He had 6 sacks last year. He wasn't asked to rush the passer most of the time. It's not an attacking style defense. It's an assignment based defense. They moved him around. Even dropped him into coverage. NFL  teams understand that and think that if he stays at end in the NFL and refines his pass rushing skills, he's going to give any offense a really hard time. That's why he's become a top 5 pick.. Carl Lawson had 6 sacks his last year with the Bengals. He had a bunch of pressures though. We were glad to get him. It isn't just about sacks.

My mistake (and poor memory).  But only 9.5 sacks total over three years seems to me to reveal that he is not much of a pass-rusher.  I think his outstanding workout numbers are making him look better than he is.  We need a pass-rusher.

26 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

My mistake (and poor memory).  But only 9.5 sacks total over three years seems to me to reveal that he is not much of a pass-rusher.  I think his outstanding workout numbers are making him look better than he is.  We need a pass-rusher.

He was a defensive tackle up until last year. They moved him to end last year, and on his own shed 15lbs so he could get quicker. He's raw as a pass rusher. To me he can't miss, once he learns how to set up Offensive Tackles, ND uses his hands better.He has more upside than any d-lineman in the draft. Comes from a great program too. Let's not forget that.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

And, one more point. I could be, dead wrong.

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2022 at 7:08 AM, T0mShane said:

GIF by Silent Rival

On 3/26/2022 at 7:12 AM, The Crusher said:

Maybe this is the year that when better teams add better players they become worse. Slow and steady wins the race? 

On 3/26/2022 at 7:17 AM, T0mShane said:

It is, as they say, a process.

On 3/26/2022 at 7:23 AM, Dunnie said:

...e6044e00eb390ce4285a0adfd2b66952.gif

On 3/26/2022 at 7:29 AM, faba said:

Nice postitive attitude by the author-sounds like Tom Shane

Thibs was not impressed in games at Oregon I watched I could be wrong but pass on him

On 3/26/2022 at 7:35 AM, Larz said:

CC12519D-8953-4599-92BA-3FB645A6B5C5.gif

Fellas.  I am not as down on the Jets chances as your responses suggest.  But we are not one player away.  Free agency filled some holes and the GM went for the biscuit with Hill.  We have to make this draft count.  It is unlikely that the Jets will ever have five picks in the top 111 ever again.  We must choose high floor players who were identified by the national scouts when they were in high school.  Ideally when they were freshman.  Believe it or not, there is a powerful relationship between the five star recruits and the top picks in the NFL draft.  It is a billion dollar business and there are no secrets.  

• Sympathy 1

Fellas.  I am not as down on the Jets chances as your responses suggest.  But we are not one player away.  Free agency filled some holes and the GM went for the biscuit with Hill.  We have to make this draft count.  It is unlikely that the Jets will ever have five picks in the top 111 ever again.  We must choose high floor players who were identified by the national scouts when they were in high school.  Ideally when they were freshman.  Believe it or not, there is a powerful relationship between the five star recruits and the top picks in the NFL draft.  It is a billion dollar business and there are no secrets.  

We have to hope there are some uncovered gems in this batch of talent this year

Most pundits are saying no-one in the draft is a difference maker.

I'd love to see that corollary study. Seriously.

Guess we are about to find out.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:14 AM, More Cowbell said:

Can someone send me the cliff notes?

#4 - Thibs or Hutch.  If not there, take on the card trade offer.  If not there - Cross.  If not,there - Ekwonu. 

#10 - Cross, Ekwonu, Neil.  If not there, trade back repeatedly until you get the last of the five first round WRs (London, Wilson, Williams, Olave and Burks).

#35 + #38 - If we get the tackle at 10, trade up and take the last wideout.  Do not overpay., there are others in the third round.  DO NOT USE #35 or #38 on a WR, RB, TE,  LB or S.  It is too early.  Take them later, there will be there.  At 35 and 38 we must focus on EDGE.  They will all be gone by the time we pick in the third.  Oh, me might get the dregs like Pashel (small school) or Sanders (awful combine that  was at odds with his film).  Personally I want one of the good ones. 

#111 - If all went well above (2 Edge, OL, WR), then Linebacker.  We will get a STUID.  Instant team changer.  Guys like Muma and Walker will be there.  That is a whole round later due to the depth.  Gotta do it.

When trading, acquire 5th rounds picks as throw ins to every trade back.  Use them to grab two free safeties (they are better prospects than the guys we have and they will be there.  Mondo deep class.  Just like linebacker.   Feed shamelessly in the fifth.  I can name 10 guys who would make our team who are going to be available.  THe Jets will not need to make room for them.  They will do that in training camp.  They are simply better prospects than our  depth.

We cannot splurge on everything.  We have to make rational choices based on what is available.  Safety and Linebacker are so deep, it is weird to choose them early. 

Two things to remember.  The second banana OTs and the second banana WRs will be gone at the end of the third.  One might last to our 4th, but I would not count on it.   By pick 100, both will be gone.  When they are gone, they are gone.   Worse, there are a very limited number of tackles who can help us.  Our high third should nail one, but it might not.  If we reach for Petit-Freire or Salyer at #35 or #38, I will vomit.  

If Joe gets pinched (no trades and he does not like the board), pick a linebacker.  Deepest class ever.

If you want to know WHY, you will have too read the post.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:58 AM, Dunnie said:

Fair .. but agree to disagree on thibs. He scares the sh*t out of me. Seems like the type that will dominate in his own terms ... like during a contract year ... and unless he is on KC or TB take a lot of plays off.

For me

Hutch
Ekownu
London
Thibs
Wilson

In that order.

Neal after a gap.

I do  not get the Thibs dislike.  Personally (I am not attacking you), I try to refrain from judging football talent myself.  I try to focus on what the experts say.  Right now my view is based on the pre-season stuff from Ourlads and the combine.  When the draft guide comes out, I will have more to say.  But Thibs is the blue chip pick.  Ourlads loves him and they are the first to complain about character or players who rested on their laurels in college.  Truly.  I have learned to take their conservative nature into account (everyone has a bias, Ourlads is no different).  When they say a prospect is clean, he really is clean. 

On 3/26/2022 at 9:19 AM, Hael said:

This whole draft is basically filled to the brim with safeties, right tackles, centers, TEs and WR2s and DE2s.  Very few elite difference makers, instead we get the worlds deepest draft for depth.

The entire top 5 are problematic as prospects.  Ekwonu (imo) is the best of the bunch by a very large margin, but even that guy needs to be in the right system. 

As for what we should take....  Well if trading down is out (b/c lets face it, the entire NFL wants to trade out of the top 10)..  Then I'm likely taking one of those OTs first.  Its not sexy, but we are talking about BPA and thats what those are.  It likely will piss of the entire fan base, but we can definitely flip Becton or Fant for quite a good amount of compensation (a good player/high draft picks etc).

I think thats the play, over risking stupid money on headcases like Thib, suboptimal positions (like safety) or low ceiling WRs.

I am not sure that is true about the EDGE and Linebackers in this draft.  I see historic depth in both spots.  The 2d round edge guys go in the first in most drafts.  Otherwise we are in tight agreement.  I too like Ekwonu I just  think Cross is a better fit.  But I understand the argument.  I happily grab either one.

Again, I try not to judge players myself.  I buy a professional guide and read it cover to cover.  But you are so  right about the depth.  The difference between top Safeties like Brisker and 5th rounders like McKinney, Corker and Monday is slim indeed.  Some of the starting linebackers will be STUNNED to see how late they are drafted.  There are NINE bona fide difference makers and 12 more who  make our team. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, FidelioJet said:

I appreciate you taking the time to write this out but, unfortunately, I disagree with almost all of the key points.

We shouldn't take OL early - would be a terrible use of resources - considering what's gone into the position already and holes everywhere else

We absolutely need a #1 WR. Even if you believe we're not ready to win - why would we not want a #1 WR?

The QB we drafted last year wasn't a "second banana"  - not even close really.  Comments like this show a biased perspective

it's okay to fill out the roster with veteran FA role players.  We play youth everywhere..

Thanks for reading the first few paragraphs.  Had you read the actual post, you would  know I believe the Jets must come away with one of the top five WRs.  Hmmm.

As for our "magical pony" at QB, I have no agenda.  Ourlads gave him a mid first round grade.  He is a good prospect.  Not worth the #2 pick and he did not stand out enough to prefer him over the others.  Ourlads saw right through him.  Is this not our QB?

2021 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about ZACH WILSON: BYU, 6021 214 4.75. Junior entry, three-year starter, Draper, UT. Showed flashes in both 2018 and 2019, but truly broke onto the national scene in 2020 as he led BYU to an 11-1 record. Wilson is a new age quarterback who is becoming increasingly popular. Lacks traditional drop back and throwing mechanics, but has the ability to make off-schedule throws with different arm angles appear natural and easy. He is accurate and rarely turned the ball over. With that said, he was 2-4 against top 25 teams and this year’s schedule against non-power five programs lacked featured NFL talent. He is going to be a boom or bust, one that really only had one very strong season in a year where Covid- 19 impacted a lot of it. Best suited for a year of backup duty before being given the keys to the bus. High level arm talent on all levels. Has a quick, smooth, but violent release that shoots the ball out in a hurry. Tough as nails, will not be deterred by hits. Excellent deep ball placement. Maintains accuracy on the move. Can go through reads on time, won’t delay but also won’t rush. Has a solid internal clock in the pocket. Can see pressure coming from his blind side, understands how to diagnose blitz-intentions pre-snap and will seamlessly adjust. Brave and courageous when it comes to decision making. Truly trusts his arm talent. Can adjust trajectory from any arm angle no matter where his base is. One of the few quarterbacks who maintains accuracy at all times. Plays in a spread formation where the plays are signaled in. Rarely takes a snap under center. Poised with pinpoint accuracy and a sudden release from the pocket. Sidesteps rush. A good athlete who can run for positive yards when needed. Will stay in the pocket until the last second trying to extend the play. Has made several clutch passes over his career but has not always looked textbook doing so. Will throw the ball across his body and off one foot. Can hit the backside curl between the receiver’s numbers. Sees the field even when he’s under duress. Hangs in the pocket and moves up as needed. Instinctively moves away from the rush and extends the play. Arm is good enough to make plays in the red zone when the window of opportunity is small. Can gun the ball into spots with a flick of a wrist. Tough kid who will make a flat foot throw with a defender in his face and complete the pass. Eyes always down the field. If you Google off-platform throws, you see Patrick Mahomes and next to him is Zach Wilson. The BYU passer uses his tight ends as security blankets. He hits them in the flat, seams, and check downs. Generally makes good decisions when and when not to throw the ball away. Reportedly passed all the Combine physical rechecks on his shoulders, but it still is a concern for long term durability. The gunslinger had surgery in 2019 to repair a torn left shoulder labrum. He also had surgery in his right throwing shoulder in high school. In addition he missed four games in 2019 with thumb surgery and four games in 2018. Footwork gets lazy at times. Needs to consistently hammer away at proper lower body mechanics. Fringe discipline across the board when it comes to technique and ball handling. Too much splash play approach in his game. Needs to take what the defense gives him. 2020 stats: 247/ 336, 3692 yds, 73.5%, 33 TD, 3 INT, 254 yd rushing, 10 TD, 196.43 QB rating. First round. (A-30 5/8, H-9 1/2, SS-NA, VJ-NA).

They ranked him 14th.

Personally, I am beginning to think that Zach is either uncoachable, arrogant or lazy.  I can find no other explanation for his failure to properly set his feet when throwing from the pocket or on screen passes.  If it does not improve, the Jets will enjoy better results with Mike White or Flacco.  Not that it would be good for the team.  I AM NOT ADVOCATING IT.  But we would get better results.  It's that bad.  All good QBs set their feet in the pocket.  Even Mahomes.

This is pop-warner stuff.  I will not accept anymore bizarre flat footed passes that get guys walloped.  I do not think the coach will either.  Lets face it.  Zach was not badly hurt last season.  He was getting guys hurt and he got  benched.   He should have sat the whole season and learned the job.   I group him with Becton.  The sky is the limit, but this is the year to demonstrate professional dedication to your craft.  Zach has serious problems and he needs to come to camp with those resolved.   I differ from many on the board.  If we have another lousy season but Zach sets his feet and moves the chains.  I will not throw rocks at  him.  Results vary.  But he must set his feet or his career will look like Sam Darnolds.  And that is the way it is.

On 3/26/2022 at 10:25 AM, varjet said:

The gist of this thread, which is a good one, is that the play in this draft is BPA.

That is why JD’s conservatism on the WR position in FA is so frustrating.  In the NFL today, you do need to buy/overpay for wins.   Unfortunately this year we are overpaying Mosley $10mm, but there is nothing we can do about it.  

The game is not over yet, but the Jets need to overpay a WR so ZW has more weapons, and then JD can draft the BPA for the long term.  Our WR room, and LBs, are not enough to win more than 5 games this year.  Given Fant and Becton, that could very much be a WR.  Brandin Cooks, Lockett, etc.  If he can make that happen, his entire draft opens up for him.  Then he can try trading down.  If Malik Willis lasts to 4, I can see a team wanting to trade up for him.  Even if the comp is not that great, it could still be worth the extra picks in this draft.  8 or more draft picks could make this team and displace guys on the current roster.  

We are not that far apart.  I just think there is room for two new WRs.  I would draft them.  It's a good class.  Nice early depth.  But it does crap out by 100.  Truly.

As for veteran FA, I would make offers when the class starts to thin out.  I would wait for OBJ to make his move (not here) and then make bargain offers as the deadly game of musical chairs begins its annual dwindle of landing spots for veteran players.   Joe has been careful.  I love the refusal to make Trumaine Johnson commitments. 

On 3/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, Beerfish said:

This is a bad draft and almost all comparables I see with existing drafted players i like the drafted players better.

We are hoping 2nd class players with big ? fall to us in the top 10.  This is not good.  I hope I am wrong about this class but I see from busts to just okay players all over the place with the highest rated guys.

I agree with the Leprechaun.   But I do think I understand your frustration.  None of the offensive skill players are worthy of the top 10 picks.  There, I said it.  This drives some guys on the board nuts but it does not change the reality.   The five WRs are mid to late 1st round types.  There is no TE worthy of a 1st and the running backs are many and enticing.  

On 3/26/2022 at 11:46 AM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I think you are wrong overall, but of course have a right to your opinion, which I do respect. It's true that Thib and Hutchinson are not in the same tier with Chase, Garrett, or the Bosas. Neal and Ikwonu (and perhaps Cross) are all better than Andrew Thomas, probably Becton, and Wills too. Neal is at least as good as Sewell. There's no Ja'mar Chase in the WR group, but there are a number of excellent prospects, such as Wilson, Olave, Burks, Williams, that match up well with Jeudy, Smith, or Ruggs. You're not going to find the amazingly even level of quality of the 2020 draft -- that was historic, but this group matches well with 2021. LB doesn't have a Parsons, but again it's deep in quality. TE is better than the last few years, although no Pitts. It's just a different dynamic, not necessarily worse. I'd hope the Jets can trade back a couple of spots because the value will be better and they will pick up a second or third, which is gold. Overall, I like this draft. Past the #4 pick, it's good for the Jets.

I think you are both right.  It is just nobody is worth the top 10 picks - draft over draft - except the top two edges and the top three tackles.  It is harsh, but it is so. 

I want to trade back from #10 and perhaps #35 & #38 if nobody falls to us.  Gotta pile up the 5th round picks.  What do you guys think about the deep classes?  Surely they will easily beat out our starters and bench guys for spots on the team.  If our #1 goes down, I want a draft pick coming into the game.  Not the next guy from the waiver wire.  Do you see it different?

On 3/26/2022 at 1:18 PM, Beerfish said:

no lbs close to parsons

No TE close to pitts

Pretty high bar Beerfish?  I think Ekwonu is similar to Slater.  I agree that Sewell is better than Cross or Neil but it is splitting hairs.  These are top players.  The WRs will be a mixed bag.  But I see all of them helping their club and winning a starting job.   And the depth through 100 is excellent for WR.  OT is fraught with peril.  Around 100, the few second banana LT prospects will be gone and there are only a few.  If we do not get an OT early, we may end up taking Salyer at 68 over Muma or Harris.  I would cry. 

As for Parsons, he is an odd guy.  More edge than LB.  The pure LBS in this draft are excellent.  No?  Draft over draft, this class smokes any I have seen before.  There are so many seasoned guys who lit up the combine. 

Pass rushers vary a lot.  I find some high picks stink and some work out.  What I know it is rare to find a pass rusher past the 2d round.  It is rare.  You have to pay or they are gone. 

30 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Thanks for reading the first few paragraphs.  Had you read the actual post, you would  know I believe the Jets must come away with one of the top five WRs.  Hmmm.

As for our "magical pony" at QB, I have no agenda.  Ourlads gave him a mid first round grade.  He is a good prospect.  Not worth the #2 pick and he did not stand out enough to prefer him over the others.  Ourlads saw right through him.  Is this not our QB?

2021 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about ZACH WILSON: BYU, 6021 214 4.75. Junior entry, three-year starter, Draper, UT. Showed flashes in both 2018 and 2019, but truly broke onto the national scene in 2020 as he led BYU to an 11-1 record. Wilson is a new age quarterback who is becoming increasingly popular. Lacks traditional drop back and throwing mechanics, but has the ability to make off-schedule throws with different arm angles appear natural and easy. He is accurate and rarely turned the ball over. With that said, he was 2-4 against top 25 teams and this year’s schedule against non-power five programs lacked featured NFL talent. He is going to be a boom or bust, one that really only had one very strong season in a year where Covid- 19 impacted a lot of it. Best suited for a year of backup duty before being given the keys to the bus. High level arm talent on all levels. Has a quick, smooth, but violent release that shoots the ball out in a hurry. Tough as nails, will not be deterred by hits. Excellent deep ball placement. Maintains accuracy on the move. Can go through reads on time, won’t delay but also won’t rush. Has a solid internal clock in the pocket. Can see pressure coming from his blind side, understands how to diagnose blitz-intentions pre-snap and will seamlessly adjust. Brave and courageous when it comes to decision making. Truly trusts his arm talent. Can adjust trajectory from any arm angle no matter where his base is. One of the few quarterbacks who maintains accuracy at all times. Plays in a spread formation where the plays are signaled in. Rarely takes a snap under center. Poised with pinpoint accuracy and a sudden release from the pocket. Sidesteps rush. A good athlete who can run for positive yards when needed. Will stay in the pocket until the last second trying to extend the play. Has made several clutch passes over his career but has not always looked textbook doing so. Will throw the ball across his body and off one foot. Can hit the backside curl between the receiver’s numbers. Sees the field even when he’s under duress. Hangs in the pocket and moves up as needed. Instinctively moves away from the rush and extends the play. Arm is good enough to make plays in the red zone when the window of opportunity is small. Can gun the ball into spots with a flick of a wrist. Tough kid who will make a flat foot throw with a defender in his face and complete the pass. Eyes always down the field. If you Google off-platform throws, you see Patrick Mahomes and next to him is Zach Wilson. The BYU passer uses his tight ends as security blankets. He hits them in the flat, seams, and check downs. Generally makes good decisions when and when not to throw the ball away. Reportedly passed all the Combine physical rechecks on his shoulders, but it still is a concern for long term durability. The gunslinger had surgery in 2019 to repair a torn left shoulder labrum. He also had surgery in his right throwing shoulder in high school. In addition he missed four games in 2019 with thumb surgery and four games in 2018. Footwork gets lazy at times. Needs to consistently hammer away at proper lower body mechanics. Fringe discipline across the board when it comes to technique and ball handling. Too much splash play approach in his game. Needs to take what the defense gives him. 2020 stats: 247/ 336, 3692 yds, 73.5%, 33 TD, 3 INT, 254 yd rushing, 10 TD, 196.43 QB rating. First round. (A-30 5/8, H-9 1/2, SS-NA, VJ-NA).

They ranked him 14th.

Personally, I am beginning to think that Zach is either uncoachable, arrogant or lazy.  I can find no other explanation for his failure to properly set his feet when throwing from the pocket or on screen passes.  If it does not improve, the Jets will enjoy better results with Mike White or Flacco.  Not that it would be good for the team.  I AM NOT ADVOCATING IT.  But we would get better results.  It's that bad.  All good QBs set their feet in the pocket.  Even Mahomes.

This is pop-warner stuff.  I will not accept anymore bizarre flat footed passes that get guys walloped.  I do not think the coach will either.  Lets face it.  Zach was not badly hurt last season.  He was getting guys hurt and he got  benched.   He should have sat the whole season and learned the job.   I group him with Becton.  The sky is the limit, but this is the year to demonstrate professional dedication to your craft.  Zach has serious problems and he needs to come to camp with those resolved.   I differ from many on the board.  If we have another lousy season but Zach sets his feet and moves the chains.  I will not throw rocks at  him.  Results vary.  But he must set his feet or his career will look like Sam Darnolds.  And that is the way it is.

Wow...this is even worse.