Draft Review 2022

Well.  It is that time of year again.  While the ourlads draft guide is not yet out, I have spent enough time reading and fooling around with the mock draft sites to form some opinions on this year’s draft.  I again urge you guys to get your own copy of the guide.  That way we can have a common frame of reference regarding where players rank and which ones are a good fit for us.  It is the only professional guide out there.  Well worth the 25 bucks.  They are usually right.

From where I stand there are only five players worthy of the #4 pick.  Thibs, Hutch, Cross, Ekwonu and Neal.  And in that order.  Let’s talk about Thibs.  The man gives an interview where he appears well groomed, well dressed and articulate.   In an attempt to credit his school he wrongly slimed Alabama.  A dumb comment.  Then he leaves the combine early like nearly everybody else because of the nutso schedule.  Yet guys on this board and the pundit class knock him down due to THAT?  Has everyone lost their minds?  This was the number one recruit nationwide.  He panned out.  He has NOTHING left to prove.  He is the obvious number one pick and would have gone in the top five in last year’s vaunted draft.  Have you seen his numbers?   Cripes.

Hutch is only elite because his three cone drill overcame concerns over his iffy production and alligator arms.  I love his hand fighting style.  The Bosas have proven effective with that style.  Like the Bosas, he is a tough run stuffer.  Thibs is excellent forcing plays back inside.  Hutch sets a hard edge.  As pass rushers, there is no comparison.  Thibs is the bendy long armed prototype.   Do I like the other edge rushers?  Yes.  I like them all.  But not at #4.  No way.  They all have flaws.  And there are so many of them that only an idiot would take one at #4.

Cross is Brick.  Same guy.  He reminds me of the Giants Andrew Thomas.  A dancing bear.  These guys never fail.  Cross just needs to add some strength and he will be a dominant blocker for a decade.  While I love Ekwonu and Neal, Cross is a much better fit for a wide zone scheme.  Ekwonu might pan out but Neal would be a right tackle or guard for us.  Yet the way I read this draft, that is it for the elite players.  Let’s hope that Thibs or Hutch falls to 4.  Simple as that.  If they are not there, we HAVE to take the tackle.  If somebody offers us an on the card trade WE MUST TAKE IT.  If we can move inside #10 and still get a tackle, then great.  Otherwise we must make the best move for the long term development of the team.  That means building inside out.  That means the tackle.

As for the argument that we need a number one receiver, I remind my fellow Jet fans – as I did last year – that we are not ready to contend for anything.  The coming season is a lost cause.  Once again we will be inserting rookies and that means losses as they get whelped.  Because we picked richly last year, we did not fill holes and we spent last season giving extensive playing time to non-future players like Tyler Kroft, Keelan Cole, Crowder, Van Roten, DelShawn Phillips and every single safety besides Ashton Davis.  And I am being kind fellas.    

We are not good enough as an organization to hand extensive playing time to guys off the street.  Every single snap devoted to those waiver wire guys stole from our team’s future.  We wasted the #2 pick on a second banana QB – there were FIVE OF THEM, traded precious 3ds in a deep draft and turned down the Hershel Walker trade.  Last season collapsed the moment the plan met reality.  Please, not again.  Build the team inside out and make the picks count.  This draft is packed with what we need.  Packed.  We could position ourselves for a run next season.  This is how.

After the first five guys, this draft’s depth asserts itself and is deep where we need it to be deep.  At WR, there are five players,  London (is he Mike Evans?), Garret Wilson (looks like Jerry Jeudy), Jamison Williams (sure fire top five pick pre-injury), Olave (my favorite – it is all there and Garret Wilson could not beat him out).  Olave started four years.  Finally there is Burks who I confess is the best fit for the Jets.  He is a lot like Deebo Samuel.  I rank these guys as typical mid to late first round picks that can be found in most drafts.  None are top five guys except Williams and he has an ACL.  It is obvious to me that the Jets need to come away with one.  While I have a preference, I am old enough to know that any will do.  Nobody knows which is the star.  All we can do is estimate their value.  If we trade back from 10 to say, 20 and pile up the picks.  We are sure to get one.  If not, it is still OK as long as WE GET PAID. 

What, you wonder, should we do if we get Thibs/Hutch and the top tackles are there are #10?  We take the tackle stupid.  Do not be foolish.  If this happens the Jets should move up from #35 and grab one of the wideouts.  We must try but we cannot overpay.  I like many other WRs, but they are not in the same class or have character concerns (Pickens).  You can always move up but you have to pay.  That is our lot this year.  Let’s assume we trade back and get our wideout.  Then what?  We take edge.  The draft is LOADED.  LOADED. 

Walker, Ojabo, Karlafis, Johnson, Mafe, Ebiketie, Bonitto, Jackson Enagbare, Thomas, Leal, Paschal.  Every single one of these players is going to be GONE by the 64th pick.  Oh, one or two might fall but I would not count on it.  Personally, I like Mafe, Ebiketie and Leal but all are worthy.  Moreover, in most drafts all are gone by the end of the first round.  The depth this year is just freaky.  Gotta feed fellas.  Gotta feed.  If we do not get Thibs or Hutch, then we must get two.  But that is not the best position class.  That is the Linebackers.  But the edges will be gone quick so we must pick one in the second.  I would trade back.  While I have a preference, if I get paid then I do not care which two I get.  Really.  I would also zone in on Zach Carter later who fits us to a T (well worth a 5th).  Now, are these guys long term starters?  No.  But ALL edges are expensive.  Never are they not.  We have to pay.  Please check all dreams of other positions in the second.  You can get them later.  You are not going to get an edge later.  Nope.  Not these edges. 

So, what if we get Thibs/Hutch, a wideout and an edge (or two if we traded back)?  Then we must try to get either Raimann, Penning, Linderbaum, Johnson or Green.  We do need to add an OL.  While I know we need a tackle the difference in quality dictates that we get one of these guys.  If we cannot, then plug the hole with a later round guy and try again next year.  But we cannot go into the season with Fant and Becton and a late round prayer and call it a plan.  Just stupid.  We will end up hurling snaps at God knows who.

So suppose we get it all.  Thibs, a tackle at 10 and one of the WRs with a trade back up.  The other 2d nabs an edge.  Then what do we do in the 3d?  We take a LINEBACKER.  In fact, if we can pile up the picks we should take two early.  Best class of linebackers I have ever seen.  Not just my opinion either.  Before the combine, some had said it was deep but after the combine everybody knew it.  The numbers do not lie.  This is not last year.  These are starters.  How many?  I count 21 guys who make our team and they can be had well into the 5th. Lloyd, Dean, Walker, Harris, Tindall, Anderson, Muma, Rodriguez, Chenel, Clark, Smith, Hansford, Bernard, Asamoah, McClain, Domann, Jackson, Beavers, McFadden and Moon.  I like Sanborn too.  We must take two.  They will make the team.  Most would start.  Some of the run and chase guys like Bernard, Moon and Domann can be had cheap.  The top nine guys would change our team.  Last year we gave TONS of snaps to now former Jets.  Let’s get some prospects on the team please.

A word about running back, safety and tight end.  Yes, we should add each of these positions.  But there is no way on God’s green earth that we should take any of them early.  Why?  The depth.  There will be fine prospects for each position in the 5th round.  No reason to rush.  There are six excellent prospects at tight end.  McBride, Ducich, Wydermyer, Ruckert, Likely, and Otten.  If we do not get fed, there are plenty of other guys including Yeboah.  We have signed two veterans.  Only McBride would invade their snaps this season.  Oh yeah.  McBride.  You folks who want to die on that hill realize that when you target a player you – by definition – overdraft him.  Now, will a good team target him?  Yeah.  I think he goes in the middle of the second.  But we are not a good team.  We cannot target players.  We can only take the best guy and target spots in the draft. 

Running back?  I want Hall, Spiller, Pierce, Walker, Robinson, Cook, White and Strong.  I will take him in the 5th.  He will be gone you say?  Not all of them say I.  If so, too bad.  We are 5-12.  We will make do. 

Safety?  Talk about the big mistake waiting to happen.  There are a lot of early safeties and they can all help us.  All will start.  But we SUCK!  We cannot afford to do that.  The 5th round is going to yield Taylor Britt, Mckinley, Weatherford, Sterling, Pola Mao, Corker, Monday, Butler and Woods.  But they will be gone you say?  Not all of them say I.  All are FREE SAFETIES.  ALL are far better than anything we have behind Mr Glass Joyner and Ashton Davis.  And the new barracuda is a two-down strong safety.  Need I remind you that we wasted virtually an entire season’s worth of snaps on a bunch of nobodies?  Some prospects please.  No more snaps to the waiver wire.  Please.

What about corner says you?  Says I, why does anybody want to cut MC2 or Echols?  When we signed a corner, that’s what a draft pick will mean.  Insanity says I.  As it is, Dunn is done.

What about DI, says you?  Says I, there are two worthy guys in the first and an inside out guy in the second - Leal.  Otherwise it is a lousy class.  Mostly run stuffers and we need penetrators.  There are better players at other positions throughout the draft.  I hope we skip it.

Another thing, if we get skunked in the first at WR or OL we MUST get our plan B by pick 100.  The last wideouts who can help us will disappear around 100.  Yes, there are many.  But they disappear at the end of the third.  Same with the versatile OL guys.  After 100 the only OL help is guard/center only types.  Great for depth.  I love some of them.  But if we get injuries, I hope you like the sight of AVT at tackle.  I do not.   

This is why we must trade back a bit so we can hurl hopes at a Petit Friere (one of the only fallback options for LT).  He will cost around pick 75 and might get overdrafted.  I am warning you.  Once they are gone, they are gone.  We simply must have a bona fide option at OT and let the three of them fight it out.  Fant is unsigned for next year, Becton has played nine games in two years and there is no depth.

So what is the ideal draft?  Thibs/Hutch at 4.  Any other result disappoints.  If not, a tackle.   Trade back at 10 unless a tackle is there and we got Thibs/Hutch at 4.   Keep trading back until there is one WR left and then draft him.  TAKE RISKS THAT WE WILL GET SKUNKED.  It is OK as long as we get paid because THEN we can always add more.   

If we get the edge and tackle, then move up for the WR.  Then move back from 38 until we take another edge.  Then look for linebackers.  When in doubt, take a linebacker.  Whenever we trade back, we need to pick up 5th round picks.  We are going to need them.  Best round in this draft in terms of value.  Picks 140-180 will produce the depth we need to add.  There is obvious room for two linebackers, two edges, two OL, two WR, two safeties and a tight end and running back.  I can cut the players to make room.  So can you.  We’re not very good.   Try it.  That is 12 picks and we only have nine.  Gotta trade back!  Do not pick rich.  Be bargain shoppers.  The guys are there and this is the draft.

I will discuss players after I get the guide.  See you.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

That was a long post by the OP. I am sure he said lots of good stuff. 

I love the draft! 

Hopefully Green Bay will win the bid to host the draft in 2024. D.C. and Detroit are the other two finalists for 2024. Yeah, it's going to be in Green Bay.

The Packers have 11 picks. Stay tuned for some trades. Gute and Douglas may be on the phone a lot on draft night. What? You don't want to part with that #4 pick? That's ok, not a good year to be that high anyhow.

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

Well.  It is that time of year again.  While the ourlads draft guide is not yet out, I have spent enough time reading and fooling around with the mock draft sites to form some opinions on this year’s draft.  I again urge you guys to get your own copy of the guide.  That way we can have a common frame of reference regarding where players rank and which ones are a good fit for us.  It is the only professional guide out there.  Well worth the 25 bucks.  They are usually right.

From where I stand there are only five players worthy of the #4 pick.  Thibs, Hutch, Cross, Ekwonu and Neal.  And in that order.  Let’s talk about Thibs.  The man gives an interview where he appears well groomed, well dressed and articulate.   In an attempt to credit his school he wrongly slimed Alabama.  A dumb comment.  Then he leaves the combine early like nearly everybody else because of the nutso schedule.  Yet guys on this board and the pundit class knock him down due to THAT?  Has everyone lost their minds?  This was the number one recruit nationwide.  He panned out.  He has NOTHING left to prove.  He is the obvious number one pick and would have gone in the top five in last year’s vaunted draft.  Have you seen his numbers?   Cripes.

Hutch is only elite because his three cone drill overcame concerns over his iffy production and alligator arms.  I love his hand fighting style.  The Bosas have proven effective with that style.  Like the Bosas, he is a tough run stuffer.  Thibs is excellent forcing plays back inside.  Hutch sets a hard edge.  As pass rushers, there is no comparison.  Thibs is the bendy long armed prototype.   Do I like the other edge rushers?  Yes.  I like them all.  But not at #4.  No way.  They all have flaws.  And there are so many of them that only an idiot would take one at #4.

Cross is Brick.  Same guy.  He reminds me of the Giants Andrew Thomas.  A dancing bear.  These guys never fail.  Cross just needs to add some strength and he will be a dominant blocker for a decade.  While I love Ekwonu and Neal, Cross is a much better fit for a wide zone scheme.  Ekwonu might pan out but Neal would be a right tackle or guard for us.  Yet the way I read this draft, that is it for the elite players.  Let’s hope that Thibs or Hutch falls to 4.  Simple as that.  If they are not there, we HAVE to take the tackle.  If somebody offers us an on the card trade WE MUST TAKE IT.  If we can move inside #10 and still get a tackle, then great.  Otherwise we must make the best move for the long term development of the team.  That means building inside out.  That means the tackle.

As for the argument that we need a number one receiver, I remind my fellow Jet fans – as I did last year – that we are not ready to contend for anything.  The coming season is a lost cause.  Once again we will be inserting rookies and that means losses as they get whelped.  Because we picked richly last year, we did not fill holes and we spent last season giving extensive playing time to non-future players like Tyler Kroft, Keelan Cole, Crowder, Van Roten, DelShawn Phillips and every single safety besides Ashton Davis.  And I am being kind fellas.    

We are not good enough as an organization to hand extensive playing time to guys off the street.  Every single snap devoted to those waiver wire guys stole from our team’s future.  We wasted the #2 pick on a second banana QB – there were FIVE OF THEM, traded precious 3ds in a deep draft and turned down the Hershel Walker trade.  Last season collapsed the moment the plan met reality.  Please, not again.  Build the team inside out and make the picks count.  This draft is packed with what we need.  Packed.  We could position ourselves for a run next season.  This is how.

After the first five guys, this draft’s depth asserts itself and is deep where we need it to be deep.  At WR, there are five players,  London (is he Mike Evans?), Garret Wilson (looks like Jerry Jeudy), Jamison Williams (sure fire top five pick pre-injury), Olave (my favorite – it is all there and Garret Wilson could not beat him out).  Olave started four years.  Finally there is Burks who I confess is the best fit for the Jets.  He is a lot like Deebo Samuel.  I rank these guys as typical mid to late first round picks that can be found in most drafts.  None are top five guys except Williams and he has an ACL.  It is obvious to me that the Jets need to come away with one.  While I have a preference, I am old enough to know that any will do.  Nobody knows which is the star.  All we can do is estimate their value.  If we trade back from 10 to say, 20 and pile up the picks.  We are sure to get one.  If not, it is still OK as long as WE GET PAID. 

What, you wonder, should we do if we get Thibs/Hutch and the top tackles are there are #10?  We take the tackle stupid.  Do not be foolish.  If this happens the Jets should move up from #35 and grab one of the wideouts.  We must try but we cannot overpay.  I like many other WRs, but they are not in the same class or have character concerns (Pickens).  You can always move up but you have to pay.  That is our lot this year.  Let’s assume we trade back and get our wideout.  Then what?  We take edge.  The draft is LOADED.  LOADED. 

Walker, Ojabo, Karlafis, Johnson, Mafe, Ebiketie, Bonitto, Jackson Enagbare, Thomas, Leal, Paschal.  Every single one of these players is going to be GONE by the 64th pick.  Oh, one or two might fall but I would not count on it.  Personally, I like Mafe, Ebiketie and Leal but all are worthy.  Moreover, in most drafts all are gone by the end of the first round.  The depth this year is just freaky.  Gotta feed fellas.  Gotta feed.  If we do not get Thibs or Hutch, then we must get two.  But that is not the best position class.  That is the Linebackers.  But the edges will be gone quick so we must pick one in the second.  I would trade back.  While I have a preference, if I get paid then I do not care which two I get.  Really.  I would also zone in on Zach Carter later who fits us to a T (well worth a 5th).  Now, are these guys long term starters?  No.  But ALL edges are expensive.  Never are they not.  We have to pay.  Please check all dreams of other positions in the second.  You can get them later.  You are not going to get an edge later.  Nope.  Not these edges. 

So, what if we get Thibs/Hutch, a wideout and an edge (or two if we traded back)?  Then we must try to get either Raimann, Penning, Linderbaum, Johnson or Green.  We do need to add an OL.  While I know we need a tackle the difference in quality dictates that we get one of these guys.  If we cannot, then plug the hole with a later round guy and try again next year.  But we cannot go into the season with Fant and Becton and a late round prayer and call it a plan.  Just stupid.  We will end up hurling snaps at God knows who.

So suppose we get it all.  Thibs, a tackle at 10 and one of the WRs with a trade back up.  The other 2d nabs an edge.  Then what do we do in the 3d?  We take a LINEBACKER.  In fact, if we can pile up the picks we should take two early.  Best class of linebackers I have ever seen.  Not just my opinion either.  Before the combine, some had said it was deep but after the combine everybody knew it.  The numbers do not lie.  This is not last year.  These are starters.  How many?  I count 21 guys who make our team and they can be had well into the 5th. Lloyd, Dean, Walker, Harris, Tindall, Anderson, Muma, Rodriguez, Chenel, Clark, Smith, Hansford, Bernard, Asamoah, McClain, Domann, Jackson, Beavers, McFadden and Moon.  I like Sanborn too.  We must take two.  They will make the team.  Most would start.  Some of the run and chase guys like Bernard, Moon and Domann can be had cheap.  The top nine guys would change our team.  Last year we gave TONS of snaps to now former Jets.  Let’s get some prospects on the team please.

A word about running back, safety and tight end.  Yes, we should add each of these positions.  But there is no way on God’s green earth that we should take any of them early.  Why?  The depth.  There will be fine prospects for each position in the 5th round.  No reason to rush.  There are six excellent prospects at tight end.  McBride, Ducich, Wydermyer, Ruckert, Likely, and Otten.  If we do not get fed, there are plenty of other guys including Yeboah.  We have signed two veterans.  Only McBride would invade their snaps this season.  Oh yeah.  McBride.  You folks who want to die on that hill realize that when you target a player you – by definition – overdraft him.  Now, will a good team target him?  Yeah.  I think he goes in the middle of the second.  But we are not a good team.  We cannot target players.  We can only take the best guy and target spots in the draft. 

Running back?  I want Hall, Spiller, Pierce, Walker, Robinson, Cook, White and Strong.  I will take him in the 5th.  He will be gone you say?  Not all of them say I.  If so, too bad.  We are 5-12.  We will make do. 

Safety?  Talk about the big mistake waiting to happen.  There are a lot of early safeties and they can all help us.  All will start.  But we SUCK!  We cannot afford to do that.  The 5th round is going to yield Taylor Britt, Mckinley, Weatherford, Sterling, Pola Mao, Corker, Monday, Butler and Woods.  But they will be gone you say?  Not all of them say I.  All are FREE SAFETIES.  ALL are far better than anything we have behind Mr Glass Joyner and Ashton Davis.  And the new barracuda is a two-down strong safety.  Need I remind you that we wasted virtually an entire season’s worth of snaps on a bunch of nobodies?  Some prospects please.  No more snaps to the waiver wire.  Please.

What about corner says you?  Says I, why does anybody want to cut MC2 or Echols?  When we signed a corner, that’s what a draft pick will mean.  Insanity says I.  As it is, Dunn is done.

What about DI, says you?  Says I, there are two worthy guys in the first and an inside out guy in the second - Leal.  Otherwise it is a lousy class.  Mostly run stuffers and we need penetrators.  There are better players at other positions throughout the draft.  I hope we skip it.

Another thing, if we get skunked in the first at WR or OL we MUST get our plan B by pick 100.  The last wideouts who can help us will disappear around 100.  Yes, there are many.  But they disappear at the end of the third.  Same with the versatile OL guys.  After 100 the only OL help is guard/center only types.  Great for depth.  I love some of them.  But if we get injuries, I hope you like the sight of AVT at tackle.  I do not.   

This is why we must trade back a bit so we can hurl hopes at a Petit Friere (one of the only fallback options for LT).  He will cost around pick 75 and might get overdrafted.  I am warning you.  Once they are gone, they are gone.  We simply must have a bona fide option at OT and let the three of them fight it out.  Fant is unsigned for next year, Becton has played nine games in two years and there is no depth.

So what is the ideal draft?  Thibs/Hutch at 4.  Any other result disappoints.  If not, a tackle.   Trade back at 10 unless a tackle is there and we got Thibs/Hutch at 4.   Keep trading back until there is one WR left and then draft him.  TAKE RISKS THAT WE WILL GET SKUNKED.  It is OK as long as we get paid because THEN we can always add more.   

If we get the edge and tackle, then move up for the WR.  Then move back from 38 until we take another edge.  Then look for linebackers.  When in doubt, take a linebacker.  Whenever we trade back, we need to pick up 5th round picks.  We are going to need them.  Best round in this draft in terms of value.  Picks 140-180 will produce the depth we need to add.  There is obvious room for two linebackers, two edges, two OL, two WR, two safeties and a tight end and running back.  I can cut the players to make room.  So can you.  We’re not very good.   Try it.  That is 12 picks and we only have nine.  Gotta trade back!  Do not pick rich.  Be bargain shoppers.  The guys are there and this is the draft.

Can someone send me the cliff notes?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

1234550596_giphy(1).gif.bb26c75ca9f3153452c947e853529d69.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Fair .. but agree to disagree on thibs. He scares the sh*t out of me. Seems like the type that will dominate in his own terms ... like during a contract year ... and unless he is on KC or TB take a lot of plays off.

For me

Hutch
Ekownu
London
Thibs
Wilson

In that order.

Neal after a gap.

To me there are 4 defensive ends that I would consider, either at #4, #10, or a in a trade down. Hutch, Walker, Johnson, and Karafitis.  They are 4 down players. You'll get stout run defense and a pass rush from all of them. 
That is a real sweet way to look at edge.

But dont you have to look at impact too and factor it in ?

This whole draft is basically filled to the brim with safeties, right tackles, centers, TEs and WR2s and DE2s.  Very few elite difference makers, instead we get the worlds deepest draft for depth.

The entire top 5 are problematic as prospects.  Ekwonu (imo) is the best of the bunch by a very large margin, but even that guy needs to be in the right system. 

As for what we should take....  Well if trading down is out (b/c lets face it, the entire NFL wants to trade out of the top 10)..  Then I'm likely taking one of those OTs first.  Its not sexy, but we are talking about BPA and thats what those are.  It likely will piss of the entire fan base, but we can definitely flip Becton or Fant for quite a good amount of compensation (a good player/high draft picks etc).

I think thats the play, over risking stupid money on headcases like Thib, suboptimal positions (like safety) or low ceiling WRs.

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2022 at 6:58 AM, clayton163v said:

I appreciate you taking the time to write this out but, unfortunately, I disagree with almost all of the key points.

We shouldn't take OL early - would be a terrible use of resources - considering what's gone into the position already and holes everywhere else

We absolutely need a #1 WR. Even if you believe we're not ready to win - why would we not want a #1 WR?

The QB we drafted last year wasn't a "second banana"  - not even close really.  Comments like this show a biased perspective

it's okay to fill out the roster with veteran FA role players.  We play youth everywhere..

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

That is a real sweet way to look at edge.

But dont you have to look at impact too and factor it in ?

I did. I think those 4 players with Hutch #1, give us the best chance to improve our d-line. Run and pass defense. We have Bryce Huff as a situational pass rusher. Maybe we can double dip, and find someone similar in the middle rounds

The gist of this thread, which is a good one, is that the play in this draft is BPA.

That is why JD’s conservatism on the WR position in FA is so frustrating.  In the NFL today, you do need to buy/overpay for wins.   Unfortunately this year we are overpaying Mosley $10mm, but there is nothing we can do about it.  

The game is not over yet, but the Jets need to overpay a WR so ZW has more weapons, and then JD can draft the BPA for the long term.  Our WR room, and LBs, are not enough to win more than 5 games this year.  Given Fant and Becton, that could very much be a WR.  Brandin Cooks, Lockett, etc.  If he can make that happen, his entire draft opens up for him.  Then he can try trading down.  If Malik Willis lasts to 4, I can see a team wanting to trade up for him.  Even if the comp is not that great, it could still be worth the extra picks in this draft.  8 or more draft picks could make this team and displace guys on the current roster.  

• Upvote 2

This is a bad draft and almost all comparables I see with existing drafted players i like the drafted players better.

We are hoping 2nd class players with big ? fall to us in the top 10.  This is not good.  I hope I am wrong about this class but I see from busts to just okay players all over the place with the highest rated guys.

Douglas has to take Thibs if he's there #4!  He's the one we need and I doubt even with all the chatter he makes it to 4.  After that, we can trade down and get the best WR or god forbid Sauce is there at #10, that would be incredible!  Right now I'm leaning Sauce and WR with first two picks based on how I think the board falls and lack of trade down partner.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This is a bad draft and almost all comparables I see with existing drafted players i like the drafted players better.

We are hoping 2nd class players with big ? fall to us in the top 10.  This is not good.  I hope I am wrong about this class but I see from busts to just okay players all over the place with the highest rated guys.

I think you are wrong overall, but of course have a right to your opinion, which I do respect. It's true that Thib and Hutchinson are not in the same tier with Chase, Garrett, or the Bosas. Neal and Ikwonu (and perhaps Cross) are all better than Andrew Thomas, probably Becton, and Wills too. Neal is at least as good as Sewell. There's no Ja'mar Chase in the WR group, but there are a number of excellent prospects, such as Wilson, Olave, Burks, Williams, that match up well with Jeudy, Smith, or Ruggs. You're not going to find the amazingly even level of quality of the 2020 draft -- that was historic, but this group matches well with 2021. LB doesn't have a Parsons, but again it's deep in quality. TE is better than the last few years, although no Pitts. It's just a different dynamic, not necessarily worse. I'd hope the Jets can trade back a couple of spots because the value will be better and they will pick up a second or third, which is gold. Overall, I like this draft. Past the #4 pick, it's good for the Jets.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The gist of this thread, which is a good one, is that the play in this draft is BPA.

That is why JD’s conservatism on the WR position in FA is so frustrating.  In the NFL today, you do need to buy/overpay for wins.   Unfortunately this year we are overpaying Mosley $10mm, but there is nothing we can do about it. 

I know, he should have at least tried to trade for a WR or something.

• Haha 2

The OP is right that the Jets still need OL help, but I hope that, if the Edge JD wants is not there at #4, that he can trade back.  Trade even out of the top 9 with that pick.  Hopefully a team gets antsy for a QB.  The recent CBS mock had two teams trading up for QB.

OT is real thin for the Jets at this time (no way can thy just pencil in Becton to start and assume that he will stay healthy), but I hope JD can wait until the 2nd round to get a young swing tackle. Maybe sign a JAG vet to help with depth there.  Edge, WR, and OT are very big needs.  TE is less so b/c of the free agents signed.

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

Douglas has to take Thibs if he's there #4!  He's the one we need and I doubt even with all the chatter he makes it to 4.  After that, we can trade down and get the best WR or god forbid Sauce is there at #10, that would be incredible!  Right now I'm leaning Sauce and WR with first two picks based on how I think the board falls and lack of trade down partner.

I want them to draft Thibodeaux so I can start the timer on how fast Jets fans decide he’s a huge bust and he responds by voluntarily going on IR to free up time to market his cryptocurrency. 

• Upvote 1