'Der's WR McLaurin will Not Participate in OTA's

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Going by Schefter's "accepted" deal report. 

Basically, Schefter made it sound like the Jets and Chiefs agreed to terms but Hill didn't want to play here and his agent got Miami involved and the rest is history. 

I'll be honest, I wouldn't believe that report, after seeing what Miami ultimately paid.  Who knows, we didn't get him.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Deebo, AJ, and Terry are all not participating.

Still hoping we can acquire either AJ or Terry.

JD should hang a sign out front that says "#35, #38, Denzel Mims on a rookie contract.  First to offer their WR1 gets 'em."  Then see if 9er's, 'Ders, Titan'er's show up!

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you say so.

Mims is (as of right now) effectively valueless, he's a throw-in to sweeten the pot, nothing more.

So a #1 and say a 4th rounder is "too much" for a #1 WR?

Lol, ok. :rolleyes:

I don't think it'll happen, and we'll just draft one (or worse, not draft one and just be weak at WR again).  But for a guy like McLaurin, every bit as good as the bigger names folks have been wanting to toss multiple #1's at, for a 1st and 4th and a bust, seems like a good deal to me. 

I think I'd target him over any of the other vets right now. The problem with that offer is that Mims is worth nothing right now.  I would think/hope one of the early 2s plus a 4 would be enough. If there is a bidding war, I'd give up the 10 and a later pick. I'm not sure he's as good as you think he is, but I'd rather have him than AJB or Cooper and maybe Metcalf.  Not as many red flags and he hasn't played with a real QB yet.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I have never seen the Islanders referred to as the Ders.  Isles, yes.  Or for this season, the Disappointments.  But not the Ders.

I've heard of them referred to as the "Gorton's Fisherman" before, but never the Ders.

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So you'd lose out on him over.....Captain Morgan/Perine/Clark, or his long-shot equivalent in the 4th?

Look at our history, we don't do well in the fourth, Carter (RB) being the only decent 4th rounder I see since.....Bilal Powel, maybe, in 2011?

Great example of how many fans over-value mid or late round picks.  After about the 3rd, they're all a low-odds crapshoot, of little value 9 times out of 10.  Carter, nice.  The ten years before Carter, lol, not a decent player taken.

The 10th, mid round and Mims. Im doing that trade and not thinking twice.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I love the idea of calling the Commanders the 'Ders.  A ridiculous nickname for a ridiculous team name.  I feel for fans of that team though.  That awful owner (they've been terrible during almost his entire tenure) plus now an awful team name.  I actually kind of liked the WFT name.  They never should've changed it.  That franchise had a lot of great history but have been garbage for a long time now.  It feels like they might be able to dig themselves out but it's not going to be so easy without a QB.

I'd like Duhs even better. 

5 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Ah. I have no idea, not a hockey fan. Just remember hearing some of the Jets guys call them that when they went to the games. 

With that said...agreed, go get McLaurin. Right now.

I’m also not a hockey fan, but this sounds like something a Ranger fan might call them. If so, good for them! 

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I have a hunch that we'd be better off drafting our own guy rather than selling the farm to trade for someone else's player and then paying a fortune to re-sign the guy.  

If it was so easy, no one would be showing interest in trading for these guys, and no one would be extending them at these sky-high contracts. 

The truth is, while they can be found in most drafts, it's not so easy to pick the right one. A couple years ago, in a strong WR class, Denver went WR-WR with their first two picks and both suck so far (as does the third one they took towards the end). 0 for 3 in that WR class. Maybe Jeudy will turn around with an obvious QB upgrade this year, but he's been a huge disappointment considering his hype.

Plus the Jets won't have any other cap money tied into the WR position; if they pick up a veteran then, assuming he's not part of the trade, Davis is probably as good as gone, effectively shaving $10MM off the new WR's net cost.

I'd rather have them hit paydirt on a rookie, too. Just saying it's easier said than done. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

...but he will attend them, because he's a leader and stuff.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/adam-schefter-puts-terry-mclaurin-in-group-of-3rd-year-wrs-not-participating-in-otas-but-he-will-be-there-today/ar-AAWkcTW?ocid=uxbndlbing

If JD is smart, and as good a trader as he we think, he's on the phone today with the 'Ders to get McLaurin to NY.

This is the reliable, drama-free, productive leader rock that a young Zach Wilson needs, and he's ready to be our #1 WR today, right now.  No risk, no waiting.

Doubt it happens, word on the street is McLaurin sorta wants to stay a 'Der, but the 'Der's ownership is well know for screwing up FA situations just like this.

He'd be a heck of an Asset, McLaurin/Moore/Davis/Berrios?  Sign me up.

Offer #10 this year, Denzel Mims, and a 2023 mid-rounder, and I think the Der's do it.  All would depend on us paying McLaurina long-term deal when he arrives, of course.

he is a stud. Bonafide.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If it was so easy, no one would be showing interest in trading for these guys, and no one would be extending them at these sky-high contracts. 

The truth is, while they can be found in most drafts, it's not so easy to pick the right one. A couple years ago, in a strong WR class, Denver went WR-WR with their first two picks and both suck so far (as does the third one they took towards the end). 0 for 3 in that WR class. Maybe Jeudy will turn around with an obvious QB upgrade this year, but he's been a huge disappointment considering his hype.

Plus the Jets won't have any other cap money tied into the WR position; if they pick up a veteran then, assuming he's not part of the trade, Davis is probably as good as gone, effectively shaving $10MM off the new WR's net cost.

I'd rather have them hit paydirt on a rookie, too. Just saying it's easier said than done. 

in starting to not be able to remember when I disagreed with you another spot on post . Wtf is going on here. 

• Haha 1