'Der's WR McLaurin will Not Participate in OTA's

Just now, Warfish said:

No, they're the "Isles", or at least they were always the "Isles" when I lived in NY.

At no time in my life have I ever heard anyone call them the "Ders".

Ah. I have no idea, not a hockey fan. Just remember hearing some of the Jets guys call them that when they went to the games. 

With that said...agreed, go get McLaurin. Right now.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Deebo, AJ, and Terry are all not participating.

Still hoping we can acquire either AJ or Terry.

Three more second or third round guys the Jets are interested in.  What do you say we just go out and find our own???  And each of them had at least 800 yards as a rookie.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

...but he will attend them, because he's a leader and stuff.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/adam-schefter-puts-terry-mclaurin-in-group-of-3rd-year-wrs-not-participating-in-otas-but-he-will-be-there-today/ar-AAWkcTW?ocid=uxbndlbing

If JD is smart, and as good a trader as he we think, he's on the phone today with the 'Ders to get McLaurin to NY.

This is the reliable, drama-free, productive leader rock that a young Zach Wilson needs, and he's ready to be our #1 WR today, right now.  No risk, no waiting.

Doubt it happens, word on the street is McLaurin sorta wants to stay a 'Der, but the 'Der's ownership is well know for screwing up FA situations just like this.

He'd be a heck of an Asset, McLaurin/Moore/Davis/Berrios?  Sign me up.

Offer #10 this year, Denzel Mims, and a 2023 mid-rounder, and I think the Der's do it.  All would depend on us paying McLaurina long-term deal when he arrives, of course.

Ouch that seems like too high a price to pay IMHO. 

16 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Ouch that seems like too high a price to pay IMHO. 

I have a hunch that we'd be better off drafting our own guy rather than selling the farm to trade for someone else's player and then paying a fortune to re-sign the guy.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Three more second or third round guys the Jets are interested in.  What do you say we just go out and find our own???  And each of them had at least 800 yards as a rookie.

I'd say if our draft picks turned into sure things, I'd definitely do it. However, looking at the history of the league, that doesn't seem to be the case. Our history specifically, is even worse than the collective league's history. 

So, no.

• Upvote 1

I love the idea of calling the Commanders the 'Ders.  A ridiculous nickname for a ridiculous team name.  I feel for fans of that team though.  That awful owner (they've been terrible during almost his entire tenure) plus now an awful team name.  I actually kind of liked the WFT name.  They never should've changed it.  That franchise had a lot of great history but have been garbage for a long time now.  It feels like they might be able to dig themselves out but it's not going to be so easy without a QB.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I love the idea of calling the Commanders the 'Ders.  A ridiculous nickname for a ridiculous team name.  I feel for fans of that team though.  That awful owner (they've been terrible during almost his entire tenure) plus now an awful team name.  I actually kind of liked the WFT name.  They never should've changed it.  That franchise had a lot of great history but have been garbage for a long time now.  It feels like they might be able to dig themselves out but it's not going to be so easy without a QB.

I'm partial to calling them the Commandos myself

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/adam-schefter-puts-terry-mclaurin-in-group-of-3rd-year-wrs-not-participating-in-otas-but-he-will-be-there-today/ar-AAWkcTW?ocid=uxbndlbing

If JD is smart, and as good a trader as he we think, he's on the phone today with the 'Ders to get McLaurin to NY.

This is the reliable, drama-free, productive leader rock that a young Zach Wilson needs, and he's ready to be our #1 WR today, right now.  No risk, no waiting.

Doubt it happens, word on the street is McLaurin sorta wants to stay a 'Der, but the 'Der's ownership is well know for screwing up FA situations just like this.

Offer #10 this year, Denzel Mims, and a 2023 mid-rounder, and I think the Der's do it.  All would depend on us paying McLaurina long-term deal when he arrives, of course.

That is too much to give up for McLaurin.

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Aren't the Islanders the Ders? Whatchu doin?

40 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ask @Lith .... he'll have the answer to this!

I have never seen the Islanders referred to as the Ders.  Isles, yes.  Or for this season, the Disappointments.  But not the Ders.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That is too much to give up for McLaurin.

If you say so.

Mims is (as of right now) effectively valueless, he's a throw-in to sweeten the pot, nothing more.

So a #1 and say a 4th rounder is "too much" for a #1 WR?

Lol, ok. :rolleyes:

I don't think it'll happen, and we'll just draft one (or worse, not draft one and just be weak at WR again).  But for a guy like McLaurin, every bit as good as the bigger names folks have been wanting to toss multiple #1's at, for a 1st and 4th and a bust, seems like a good deal to me. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

'Ders.

Is that a thing? If so.. it shouldn't be

"Commies" is a thing that shouldn't be.  

'Ders is just fine, lol.

But most folks down here (so far) seem to just be using the whole name, Commanders. 

At least so far.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Whats a Der? Is it not Cer?

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Whats a Der? Is it not Cer?

Commanders.

Hence 'Ders.

I refuse to join with the nitwits who think calling them "Commies" or "I'm gonna call them the Redskins, hurr durr" is the height of wit.

Coms, meh.  Manders, meh. 

'Ders perfectly encapsulates the abject and utter stupidity of Dan Snyder in four letters.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you say so.

Mims is (as of right now) effectively valueless, he's a throw-in to sweeten the pot, nothing more.

So a #1 and say a 4th rounder is "too much" for a #1 WR?

Lol, ok. :rolleyes:

I don't think it'll happen, and we'll just draft one (or worse, not draft one and just be weak at WR again).  But for a guy like McLaurin, every bit as good as the bigger names folks have been wanting to toss multiple #1's at, for a 1st and 4th and a bust, seems like a good deal to me. 

Multiple 1s would be reckless for any WR. 

I would do 10 overall and Mims, no questions asked. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Multiple 1s would be reckless for any WR. 

I would do 10 overall and Mims, no questions asked. 

So you'd lose out on him over.....Captain Morgan/Perine/Clark, or his long-shot equivalent in the 4th?

Look at our history, we don't do well in the fourth, Carter (RB) being the only decent 4th rounder I see since.....Bilal Powel, maybe, in 2011?

Great example of how many fans over-value mid or late round picks.  After about the 3rd, they're all a low-odds crapshoot, of little value 9 times out of 10.  Carter, nice.  The ten years before Carter, lol, not a decent player taken.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

So you'd lose out on him over.....Captain Morgan/Perine/Clark, or his long-shot equivalent in the 4th?

Look at our history, we don't do well in the fourth, Carter (RB) being the only decent 4th rounder I see since.....Bilal Powel, maybe, in 2011?

Nah, I could be talked into throwing in a 4th. 

Just saying that multiple 1s would be reckless. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Nah, I could be talked into throwing in a 4th. 

Just saying that multiple 1s would be reckless. 

Agreed on the multiple 1's, but that would be what we'd have to pay for the true big name types.

McLaurin has big name potential, but himself isn't a big name.  He'd come cheaper, and be a better leader than most of the big name types.

Just now, Warfish said:

Agreed on the multiple 1's, but that would be what we'd have to pay for the true big name types.

McLaurin has big name potential, but himself isn't a big name.  He'd come cheaper, and be a better leader than most of the big name types.

It sounds like we could have gotten Hill without giving up a first round pick

I suspect Metcalf would cost more. 

McLaurin looks like a terrific player to me, so I'd be in. I'd be surprised if they actually traded him though (same for all of these guys, unfortunately)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It sounds like we could have gotten Hill without giving up a first round pick

Does it?

The Phins gave up:  "Included among the compensation for Hill is the No. 29 overall selection in this year's draft, in addition to a second- and fourth-rounder in 2022 and a fourth- and sixth-rounder in 2023, per Rapoport."

Hard to see how the Jets were getting Hill without including a #1 realistically.  Our #1 (#10) is worth alot more than the Phins #29, so we'd have to give up less extra.  Like I said, a 4th in 2023 and Mims.  

I suspect Metcalf would cost more. 

Agreed.  I feel like Seattle would demand more, especially from JD given how he fleeced them for Adams.

McLaurin looks like a terrific player to me, so I'd be in. I'd be surprised if they actually traded him though (same for all of these guys, unfortunately)

Sadly, I agree.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Does it?

The Phins gave up:  "Included among the compensation for Hill is the No. 29 overall selection in this year's draft, in addition to a second- and fourth-rounder in 2022 and a fourth- and sixth-rounder in 2023, per Rapoport."

Hard to see how the Jets were getting Hill without including a #1 realistically.  Our #1 (#10) is worth alot more than the Phins #29, so we'd have to give up less extra.  Like I said, a 4th in 2023 and Mims.  

Agreed.  I feel like Seattle would demand more, especially from JD given how he fleeced them for Adams.

Sadly, I agree.  

Going by Schefter's "accepted" deal report. 

Basically, Schefter made it sound like the Jets and Chiefs agreed to terms but Hill didn't want to play here and his agent got Miami involved and the rest is history.