Is Hall the Jets' top dawg so far?

I mean, the Jets supposedly had Hall as the 18th ranked player on their board and saw it fit to move up for him at the top of the 2nd round.

He SHOULD be the top guy in the backfield.

Carter is a nice complimentary back in the mold of a dude like Powell. But he shouldn’t be getting the bulk of the carries.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You don't use the 36th overall on a running back if you don't plan on fully exploiting his rookie contract. The reason people still go high on RB is because you get a playmaker for four years on the cheap but probably little beyond that because it's unlikely you plan on paying the guy. There's no easing period with this stuff. Hall will be #1. 

They asked about the last 2 - 1sts.   I think the 5th year option was why.  

5 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t mean to imply that there will be designed QB runs this year, but I do believe that he’ll be instructed to tuck & run on passing downs if there’s nothing there. He averaged 14 yards rushing a game last year. I think that number is over 20 this year, with him approaching 300 yards on the season. He has the ability, and a five yard scramble beats an incomplete. 

Tampa went into zone because they said they watched the Jags tape and they didn’t want Zach to run.   At this point Zach’s better against the Zone, so if they can run teams out of man without Zach taking hits, I think they will.  Low passing yards but a win… yeah I’ll take that some weeks lol.  

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I am much higher on Carter than many here. I think they are 1A and 1B. They will try and keep both fresh and healthy. Most wanted us to skip RB in the draft and now people are advocating Carter get like 30% of the snaps.

I love MCarter the RB.  He’s a weapon.   His size and injuries guaranteed a new RB would be added, but I expect him to be productive.  

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Tampa went into zone because they said they watched the Jags tape and they didn’t want Zach to run.   At this point Zach’s better against the Zone, so if they can run teams out of man without Zach taking hits, I think they will.  Low passing yards but a win… yeah I’ll take that some weeks lol.

Wow, really good point on Zach in zone vs. man, and the advantages to the QB to run in man coverage situations. Man coverage will open up running room underneath, and that’s something I could see LaFluer building into his play designs. So not only some general coaching like, “if nothing’s there in 2.5 seconds, run.” But have it as part of the play design as in, “if nothing’s open, this is where you should be able to run.” 

But yeah, this is what I’m talking about. A take what they give you philosophy. For the folks who think I mean that to mean Zach will be a game manager, no. Take what they give you includes taking that 50 yard shot downfield if it’s there. That’s why they’re practicing those plays, too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I dont have a crystal ball or any inside info, I'm just kind of just using logic and what I've seen out of the system in San Fran while Lil Mikey was there.  The year they went 13-3, went to the Super Bowl, and were 2nd overall in scoring offense, they had 3 backs carrying the ball.  Coleman and Mostert both carried the ball 137 times, Matt Breida carried 123 times.  

Mannnnn we've had this debate before, where you were in opposition to the idea of a true committee being the end result here, and you countered me by saying that SF only appeared to be a committee because of injuries. 

Did you do that just because it was me trying to make the point?  lol.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Breece Hall wasn’t just the #1 RB in this year’s class, he’s a special prospect. His RAS ranked #7 out of 1624 RB from 1987 to 2022. And he has the college production to go with those numbers. I like MC1, too, but he’s the #2 RB now. They’re gonna ride Hall. 

As for Garrett and Moore, I’d say they’re much more close as far as prospects go. There was talk that if Elijah Moore was in the 2021 draft he could’ve been the first WR off the board. 

image.png

I like hearing this.  I was surprised by the pick at the time.  I thought JD could've waited until the 4th round for a RB.  But I hope Breece proves me wrong.

EDIT: He's a great receiver out of the backfield too.  I wonder how much that factored into JD wanting him.  He gives ZW another security blanket (in addition to the 3 TEs that JD added).

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I like hearing this.  I was surprised by the pick at the time.  I thought JD could've waited until the 4th round for a RB.  But I hope Breece proves me wrong.

He could have indeed waited until the 4th for a pretty good RB.  I suppose he elected to burn a high pick because everyone in the org thinks Hall can be special, and the return on investment (even if he's only here for 4 years and doesn't get an extension) would be worth it. 

That excites me.  We haven't had a RB to truly get excited about on this team in a long time.  I've gotten used to having RB's who can merely take what the OL gives them and little more.

• Upvote 1

35 years a jets fan I don't ever recall having a conversation like this.  Sincerely!!! Others may have names dialed up but I don't. 

I remember the constant "who's less bad" to start conversations. 

That's not this though. MC is a legit RB1 by many rosters and we're talking about him as RB2 because hall might be that good. 

If this is what 1st world problems feel like then sign me up. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mannnnn we've had this debate before, where you were in opposition to the idea of a true committee being the end result here, and you countered me by saying that SF only appeared to be a committee because of injuries. 

Did you do that just because it was me trying to make the point?  lol.

The goalposts move to support whatever the Jets — one of the worse-run franchises in sport  — is doing at that moment.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

The goalposts move to support whatever the Jets — one of the worse-run franchises in sport  — is doing at that moment.

JiF isn't a homer though.  He just says I'm dumb and so anything I say must be wrong even if he at one time would have agreed with it, lol.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JiF isn't a homer though.  He just says I'm dumb and so anything I say must be wrong even if he at one time would have agreed with it, lol.

There’s plenty of posters who reflexivity go against whatever I say no matter how brilliant just ‘cause.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, slats said:

Breece Hall wasn’t just the #1 RB in this year’s class, he’s a special prospect. His RAS ranked #7 out of 1624 RB from 1987 to 2022. And he has the college production to go with those numbers. I like MC1, too, but he’s the #2 RB now. They’re gonna ride Hall. 

As for Garrett and Moore, I’d say they’re much more close as far as prospects go. There was talk that if Elijah Moore was in the 2021 draft he could’ve been the first WR off the board. 

image.png

At most, maybe Moore would have gone #2, but I highly doubt he'd have gone over Chase in the 2021 draft. 

Breece Hall has a legit shot to be an OROY candidate if the OL lives up to its potential - he’s an instant impact starter at his position. Carter is awesome and a great locker room guy, but I do think RB2 is his spot and he will excel in that change of pace role. Nothing wrong with that - we loved Leon Washington. It’ll also keep him healthy

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, PorP said:

I'm with this whole post.. except maybe the mims/  Wilson part.  The other battle i'm excited to see play out is Conklin / CJ.

I think there is truth to draft position opinion which makes this interesting though.  If this question was E Moore vs Garrett,  I doubt many would be on the Garrett WR1 bandwagon without anything resembling a real practice. 

So what makes this convo different for Hall / MC? 

In my opinion the difference between the two position battles is Carter had a decent rookie season and is respected for his efforts.

We are not totally sure on where Mims stands but the public opinion is generally negative.

22 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Breece Hall has a legit shot to be an OROY candidate if the OL lives up to its potential - he’s an instant impact starter at his position. Carter is awesome and a great locker room guy, but I do think RB2 is his spot and he will excel in that change of pace role. Nothing wrong with that - we loved Leon Washington. It’ll also keep him healthy

I agree