A Required Change to Help Zach: Jets Rushing Game

Warfish

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The stat was that they trailed at some point in 22 straight games. Never went wire to wire with a lead in a game.

yea it finally occurred to me a 3:30 this morning so I sat down at the computer here and went game to game in the boxscores and yes, TS, that is exactly it.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Where are you getting these stats?

1st & 10 at NYJ 15
(14:56 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Br.Hall up the middle to NYJ 17 for 2 yards (Z.Carter; L.Wilson).

1st & 10 at NYJ 40
(13:13 - 2nd) Br.Hall right tackle to NYJ 39 for -1 yards (V.Bell).

1st & 10 at NYJ 38
(7:26 - 2nd) Mi.Carter left end to NYJ 36 for -2 yards (M.Hilton, D.Reader).

2nd & 10 at NYJ 25
(5:22 - 2nd) Br.Hall left guard to NYJ 27 for 2 yards (T.Hendrickson; C.Sample).

1st & 10 at NYJ 19
(3:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Br.Hall up the middle to NYJ 24 for 5 yards (B.Hill). CIN-D.Reader was injured during the play.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401437740

Unless I'm missing something those are our running stats in the 2nd quarter. In the first quarter in we had 6 carries for 16 yards. I am retarded so it's possible I'm missing something tbf.

Isn't it amazing, since Thomas Jones was the RB it seems like the Jets MOST OF THE TIME, will only bust out runs anywhere from minus yards to 2 yards? We're talking about 4 head coaches and regimes and it's the same results

I'm for letting Zach draw up and call the plays.  I want to see deep drops and bombs away.   Kid has the arm and the release.  Drop back fast and deep and let it go down the field.  Go total gunslinger and establish yourself as someone who is unafraid and everything else will fall into place.  If Zach is the guy they drafted release the Kraken.   Zach has to stop thinking.  He's a good dude who studies hard but he's not smart or a quick processor.  He has a great arm and release.  Stop trying to make him think and use his brain.  Let him dictate with what he actually has.  

Zach should be watching a lot of film.  Namath and Marino film.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Where are you seeing this YPC from?  I keep seeing people saying that we're not effective running the ball in the first half but that's just not accurate at all.  I've broken this down by play.  So it makes no sense unless the YPC include sacks and any of those end arounds that were stopped for a loss?  Because it doenst add up otherwise.

First and foremost, Hall has only 4 rushing attempts in the 1st quarter, which is mind blowing but a fact.  And yes, he's only averaging 2.3 per w/ those 4, 1st quarter attempts but **** sake....lol...that's not a sample size.  Meanwhile, Carter has 11 and he's averaging 4.5 ypc in the 1st quarter.  In the 2nd quarter, Hall jumps up to a whopping, 5.4 ypc and Carter a 4.7.  That's not ineffective running.  It's in fact, quite effective. 

They're just not running the F'ing ball.  They have 23 first half carries vs. 61 first half passes, with the corpse of Joe Flacco.  It's ******* mind boggling stupid and it speaks directly to the false narrative that a. they're not running the ball well in the first half and b. the ypc has been accumulated because the D is on their heels defending the pass.  It's 100% play calling, it has not been dictated by the score and it's ******* stupid 

(9:29 - 1st) (Shotgun) Mi.Carter right guard to NYJ 32 for 2 yards (S.Hubbard)

8:56 - 1st) Mi.Carter up the middle to NYJ 40 for 8 yards (C.Awuzie

(6:31 - 1st) Br.Hall right guard to CIN 30 for 3 yards (A.Davis-Gaither; L.Wilson)

(3:09 - 1st) Mi.Carter right end pushed ob at CIN 23 for 4 yards (M.Hilton).

(2:36 - 1st) Mi.Carter up the middle to CIN 22 for 1 yard (D.Reader, M.Hilton).

14:56 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Br.Hall up the middle to NYJ 17 for 2 yards (Z.Carter; L.Wilson

(13:13 - 2nd) Br.Hall right tackle to NYJ 39 for -1 yards (V.Bell).

(7:26 - 2nd) Mi.Carter left end to NYJ 36 for -2 yards (M.Hilton, D.Reader).

(5:22 - 2nd) Br.Hall left guard to NYJ 27 for 2 yards (T.Hendrickson; C.Sample

3:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Br.Hall up the middle to NYJ 24 for 5 yards (B.Hill). CIN-D.Reader was injured during the play.

1st half. Carter 5-13 2.6 YPC       Hall 5-11 2.2 YPC

1st qt down 14-6.....  7 pass 4 runs. 5 it you count Berrios -2 yards. they tried to early, but we got down quick

1st possession of the 2nd qt. 6 passes 2 runs. Flacco got sacked twice in a row making it 2nd and 16 and 3rd and 21. cant run on those downs.

2nd pos 3 Pass 1 Run. Flacco pass for a 1st down. then carter runs for -2 making it 2nd and 12.down 17-6 we passed 2 more times. the game makes up what you should call

3rd possession 2 pass 1 run. Hall 2 yard run.

now with 3 mins left its 18 passes and 10 runs .down 20-6. how many times you want to run while we are trying to get points before the half? 10 passes 1 run. in the last 3 mins.

the run sucked in the 1st half and the 2nd half we were down too much to go crazy with it. i think Cin played the pass more in the 2nd half knowing we had to throw to win the game and gave up a nice run or 2. you know Garbage time doesnt mean for just QBs.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Biggs said:

I'm for letting Zach draw up and call the plays.  I want to see deep drops and bombs away.   Kid has the arm and the release.  Drop back fast and deep and let it go down the field.  Go total gunslinger and establish yourself as someone who is unafraid and everything else will fall into place.  If Zach is the guy they drafted release the Kraken.   Zach has to stop thinking.  He's a good dude who studies hard but he's not smart or a quick processor.  He has a great arm and release.  Stop trying to make him think and use his brain.  Let him dictate with what he actually has.  

On 9/27/2022 at 8:40 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

When you draft a QB at # 2 overall, you do so for him to lead the way, not have to lean on the running game like a crutch.  And Wilson isn't built to be a game manager, either.

Might be nice for the defense to get a stop on their first series, too.  

Yup.  The running game needs to be there to keep the defense honest, but with a talent like Zach - the game should be run through the air.  

The game plan should be about constant pressure on the D. Making them have to guard the sidelines, deep routes, shorts, slants etc.  

Thats what we have in Zach if he can put it together.  

11 hours ago, Biggs said:

yeah he should also be in shotgun most of the time and he can even drop steps after that on passing downs and put a lot of space between him an LOS (since McTurnstile and Laken will be getting abused) at least he will see whatever is coming.  Plus they could run screens and delayed hand off from that and create lots of space.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, Warfish said:

I was with my good friend @slats in the expectation that the 2022 NY Jets would lean into their rushing attack, especially early in the season, to help support Zach Wilson.

Instead, Zach has been out with injury again, and we had Joe "Venus de Milo" Flacco, playing the run-and-shoot behind a shoddy and already injury ridden O-line.

As of right now, the Jets are #1 in the NFL in pass attempts.

And we are 30th in rush attempts, 26th in rushing yards (which may drop further after tonight's game).

This is mind-bogglingly backwards.

Of note, the Jets are actually 15th in the NFL in rushing yards-per-attempt at 4.4, pretty decent.

Breece Hall is at 4.4, and Michael Carter is at a very nice 5.3.

With Zach coming back, and the O-line showing nothing to warrant faith in pass protection so far, the Jets MUST run the ball on Sunday vs. the Steelers.

Fall behind, run it.  Start fast, run it.  We must run it, and keep running it.  We must establish the run as part of our core personality, with the duel threat of Hall and Carter.

I want to see each get 20 carries Sunday, not <20 total for the game.

Look, my view on Zach is well known, but we absolutely must do what we can to support the kid.  And part of that is not expecting him to throw 50+ times in his first game back.

If Zach takes more than 38 attempts, the Coaching staff have failed him.

We're 1-2, Zach is just getting back, the time is now to help both Zach and the O-line, by rushing more.  Get those TE blockers in there too, and overpower the Steelers line.  This will help open up the field for Moore/Wilson, and support play action, screens and rollouts to keep Zach safer when he does pass.

The Steelers are currently 31st in the NFL for rushing attempts against, and 28th in rushing yards allowed!!!  THIS IS THE TIME.

Do what's right, we invested in Hall and Carter to support Zach and provide a dominant clock-slaughtering running game.

Now is the time to put it in place.  It helps the Jets, it'll help Zach.

Great sentiment, I think anyone will agree. especially since alot of this offense is predicated off play action and a strong run game.  I am going to take this a step further and not just call for an emphasis on the run game, but more of an emphasis in a verticle run game more so than a horizontal one.  Let me explain. 

Well established now that the offensive line is in a rough spot.  We are on our 3rd string LT and 2nd/3rd string RT.  

With that understood the ability to run an outside zone scheme is compromised when you do not have tackles that can stretch the end and maintain outside leverage.  Instead I would lean on our two guards to make plays on inside zone, power, counter and trap plays allowing hall and carter to hit their respective holes aggressively then make reads at the second level.  Outside zone is all about patience and letting the defense create holes with their pursuit, this line with its issues at the Tackle spot cannot hold up long enough for defenses to get out of alignment or miss their gaps.  Instead relying on their guards and center to work up to backers on inside zone, or pulling to kick out EMOLS will help the tackles out and give fast decisive lanes to the backs.  

Thats my two cents. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:29 AM, SoFlaJets said:

Isn't it amazing, since Thomas Jones was the RB it seems like the Jets MOST OF THE TIME, will only bust out runs anywhere from minus yards to 2 yards? We're talking about 4 head coaches and regimes and it's the same results

Am I the only one who, when I read SoFlaJets name in my head, starts hearing Bowie's "Suffragette City" in their heads.

SoFlaJet, Suffragette.....

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Am I the only one who, when I read SoFlaJets name in my head, starts hearing Bowie's "Suffragette City" in their heads.

SoFlaJet, Suffragette.....

I really should change my screename anyway Fish, I haven't lived in south Florida since November 2018-we love it here in Raleigh

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I really should change my screename anyway Fish, I haven't lived in south Florida since November 2018-we love it here in Raleigh

Well, pro and con, pro it may rep a place you love (ReleighJet maybe?) but con, everyone knows you as SoFlaJet, no one will know it's you with a name change.

Either way, just know I wasn't making fun, just the oddity if how I think some days, sitting here reading your post humming a Bowie tune, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

See folks, THIS, this right here, is when I REALLY enjoy being "right on the internet".

Because damn right was I right.

Running game dominated today, saved what would/could have been an embarrassing loss to a 3rd string QB into a huge win.

And while we're at it, I was 100% right about Breece Hall, this kid is special, is likely going to continue to be special barring injury, and was absolutely worth that 2nd round pick.  

So yeah, I DO like being "right on the internet", just not the way some of your seem to think, lol.

GO JETS!!!  The Phish have been SQUISHED!!!

happy-dancing.gif&ehk=opLHoVXo4ee9mXSszl

• Upvote 3