A Required Change to Help Zach: Jets Rushing Game

Warfish

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm not sure I agree.  We've been down 7 or 11 or even 14, I wouldn't call that "way behind" in a way that means we dump the running game.

If we wait to run till we have a lead, we may not be doing any running this season, lol.

That's what I would call a BIG lead Fish, when the Jets can only score with Greg the Leg kicks

• Haha 1

FULLY agree.

But, lets say we lose.  How many Jet fans will be calling for JD's head?  JD isn't the coach.  We should be calling for the Lafleur and Saleh's heads.  

YES!  We are in week 4 and we are down to signing practice squad guys on LT.  sh*t happens.  But JD has put together 1/2 a decent line, solid RB's, solid TE's, and we actually have DEPTH at WR.  This isn't on him.  This is on the coaching staff not putting together successful game plans.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

This fool of a head coach who is so cool and all the players really like him because he's like one of the boys man has never led in a game yet-20 games and counting and the Jets under the wooden Indian have played all 20 games from behind

Saleh has won games so he must’ve led in games…

4 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

they said it on the game broadcast on Sunday so I will check this out to see if they were wrong or you are wrong

I looked further and they also scored first against Tampa Bay last year 7-0. I edited my other post to add that.

They said something about a 20 game streak of being behind now I went back and looked and Joe is right so then I thought maybe they meant in September but that streak stands at "only" 11 games. I Wonder if they meant they came out after halftime behind 20 in a row...back to the NFL History site...

5 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

They said something about a 20 game streak of being behind now I went back and looked and Joe is right so then I thought maybe they meant in September but that streak stands at "only" 11 games. I Wonder if they meant they came out after halftime behind 20 in a row...back to the NFL History site...

Nope, we were up 17-10 over Tampa at the half last year.

1 minute ago, SoFlaJets said:

It's not that either because they went into halftime up against The Bucs last year-it had to be a mistake that they reported during the game-if somebody has the video maybe they can tell us what they were talking about

Beat me by a second on this post! ?

16 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Did anybody else hear the announcers saying something about a 20 game streak that the Jets owned? I know I heard it and I know it wasn't a good streak to have.

Isn't it what you were saying? Saleh has never scored first in a game as HC. I haven’t looked into it myself 

the game dictates how much we can run. if you forget we avg 2 YPC in the 1st half vs the Bengals. it wasnt working. they finished with nice YPC but thats when they were playing for the pass.

my guess is Pitt will load the box and force Zach to beat them in the air. i dont expect this heavy running attack. and if they try to force it when it isnt working or running on 3rd and 5 and coming up a yard short they should all be fired. including Zach

• Sympathy 1

My favorite game plans are those that don't establish the run or the pass. Plays that come out one after the other like a well-oiled machine and the defense has no clue what the play will be. And us fans don't know for sure either. Pass??? Nope, end around for 20. Run on 3rd and 1? Nope. Pass down the seam for 30. Just a series of nice, successful runs and passes, passes and runs, coming at any time from any formation, and with the talent to make 90% of the runs and passes connect.

A completely balanced offense.

I get the whole "Establish the run early, control the ball, get Carter and Breece into a rhythm. Then, when the D moves safties up to stuff the run, toss the rock over their heads. BUT now your game plan has an identity. Something our offense is known for. You're going to open the game by establishing the run with our 2 superstars. But what you've done is give every DC all the inside info they need to shut us down.

Identity = Predictability

Where no identity = Un-Predictable

Be unpredictable (but good at what we do)

• Upvote 1

This idea that all the problems with the offense can be solved by handing off the ball was outdated 30 years ago 

It only makes sense if the qb is a legitimate threat to run himself like Lamar or Jalen or even Josh Allen 

The numbers of 7 blockers vs 8 or 9 defenders are just never going to square up 

The Jets have to throw because other teams stack the box. Teams are daring the Jets qbs to beat them through the air and that only seems to happen in garbage time 

• Sympathy 1

OK I figured it out. The "20 games in a row" that the announcer was referring to was this: at some point in the previous 20 games in a row, the New York Jets at some point in every one of those games, was playing from behind. The last time they played a game where they led throughout, was December 20, 2020 against the Rams, when they actually played a full game ahead of the opposition. The idea that this might be the case occurred to me during one of my hourly every hour on the half hour trips to the outhouse on the back edge of the property.2138685914_ScreenShot2022-09-28at3_57_02AM.thumb.jpg.bbcb506fcd272c32adb56435a54290c0.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

This idea that all the problems with the offense can be solved by handing off the ball was outdated 30 years ago 

It only makes sense if the qb is a legitimate threat to run himself like Lamar or Jalen or even Josh Allen 

The numbers of 7 blockers vs 8 or 9 defenders are just never going to square up 

The Jets have to throw because other teams stack the box. Teams are daring the Jets qbs to beat them through the air and that only seems to happen in garbage time 

No one seems to be in agreement here or is coming up with a viable solution. There has to be a middle ground approach that’s going to work and satisfies the masses. How about we just alternate the run and pass. One play run….next pass….next run…next pass. The Steelers will never see that coming. 

On 9/26/2022 at 9:48 PM, LionelRichie said:

Lol, now we’re begging for the ground and pound.   When that was the philosophy everyone wanted to throw the ball to be ‘modern’. 

I agree with the OP but I am very mindful of those criticisms of Rex and Bowles and that they ran too much!

Oh Boy….. Alas it is the Life of a Jets Fan! :) 

8 hours ago, doitny said:

the game dictates how much we can run. if you forget we avg 2 YPC in the 1st half vs the Bengals. it wasnt working. they finished with nice YPC but thats when they were playing for the pass.

my guess is Pitt will load the box and force Zach to beat them in the air. i dont expect this heavy running attack. and if they try to force it when it isnt working or running on 3rd and 5 and coming up a yard short they should all be fired. including Zach

Where are you seeing this YPC from?  I keep seeing people saying that we're not effective running the ball in the first half but that's just not accurate at all.  I've broken this down by play.  So it makes no sense unless the YPC include sacks and any of those end arounds that were stopped for a loss?  Because it doenst add up otherwise.

First and foremost, Hall has only 4 rushing attempts in the 1st quarter, which is mind blowing but a fact.  And yes, he's only averaging 2.3 per w/ those 4, 1st quarter attempts but **** sake....lol...that's not a sample size.  Meanwhile, Carter has 11 and he's averaging 4.5 ypc in the 1st quarter.  In the 2nd quarter, Hall jumps up to a whopping, 5.4 ypc and Carter a 4.7.  That's not ineffective running.  It's in fact, quite effective. 

They're just not running the F'ing ball.  They have 23 first half carries vs. 61 first half passes, with the corpse of Joe Flacco.  It's ******* mind boggling stupid and it speaks directly to the false narrative that a. they're not running the ball well in the first half and b. the ypc has been accumulated because the D is on their heels defending the pass.  It's 100% play calling, it has not been dictated by the score and it's ******* stupid 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

By the time the Jets were 20-6 down our running game had consisted of 9 carries for 15 yards.

Where are you guys finding these "stats"?   On the very first drive, Carter carried it twice for 10 yards, Hall carried it once for 3 yards, and then on the very next drive, Carter had a 5 yard carry.  I'm bad at the maths but that's more than 15.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Where are you seeing this YPC from?  I keep seeing people saying that we're not effective running the ball in the first half but that's just not accurate at all.  I've broken this down by play.  So it makes no sense unless the YPC include sacks and any of those end arounds that were stopped for a loss?  Because it doenst add up otherwise.

First and foremost, Hall has only 4 rushing attempts in the 1st quarter, which is mind blowing but a fact.  And yes, he's only averaging 2.3 per w/ those 4, 1st quarter attempts but **** sake....lol...that's not a sample size.  Meanwhile, Carter has 11 and he's averaging 4.5 ypc in the 1st quarter.  In the 2nd quarter, Hall jumps up to a whopping, 5.4 ypc and Carter a 4.7.  That's not ineffective running.  It's in fact, quite effective. 

Where are you getting these stats?

1st & 10 at NYJ 15
(14:56 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Br.Hall up the middle to NYJ 17 for 2 yards (Z.Carter; L.Wilson).

1st & 10 at NYJ 40
(13:13 - 2nd) Br.Hall right tackle to NYJ 39 for -1 yards (V.Bell).

1st & 10 at NYJ 38
(7:26 - 2nd) Mi.Carter left end to NYJ 36 for -2 yards (M.Hilton, D.Reader).

2nd & 10 at NYJ 25
(5:22 - 2nd) Br.Hall left guard to NYJ 27 for 2 yards (T.Hendrickson; C.Sample).

1st & 10 at NYJ 19
(3:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Br.Hall up the middle to NYJ 24 for 5 yards (B.Hill). CIN-D.Reader was injured during the play.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401437740

Unless I'm missing something those are our running stats in the 2nd quarter. In the first quarter in we had 6 carries for 16 yards. I am retarded so it's possible I'm missing something tbf.

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Where are you getting these stats?

1st & 10 at NYJ 15
(14:56 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Br.Hall up the middle to NYJ 17 for 2 yards (Z.Carter; L.Wilson).

1st & 10 at NYJ 40
(13:13 - 2nd) Br.Hall right tackle to NYJ 39 for -1 yards (V.Bell).

1st & 10 at NYJ 38
(7:26 - 2nd) Mi.Carter left end to NYJ 36 for -2 yards (M.Hilton, D.Reader).

2nd & 10 at NYJ 25
(5:22 - 2nd) Br.Hall left guard to NYJ 27 for 2 yards (T.Hendrickson; C.Sample).

1st & 10 at NYJ 19
(3:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) Br.Hall up the middle to NYJ 24 for 5 yards (B.Hill). CIN-D.Reader was injured during the play.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401437740

Unless I'm missing something those are our running stats in the 2nd quarter. In the first quarter in we had 6 carries for 16 yards. I am retarded so it's possible I'm missing something tbf.

1st quarter - Carter had 4 carries for 15 yards, Hall had 1 for 3.  So sure, not a mind blowing ypc but for **** sake.  5 runs?  You're going to have some short sort ones and no gains if you're committing to the run but 5 carries is not enough for anyone to get into any type of rhythm or establish any type of run threat/play action, etc.

I guess it wasnt that much more than you originally quoted but still that # had to include loss on sacks and the end around because after this, Hall had 2 more carries for, one for 2 yards, the other for 5, on 1st down, and then threw the ball for the rest of the half.  It's just a very unhealthy balance either way.