Game Observation (NE)

Great post!  

Without question that JFM penalty was the dagger that cost us this game. I also think the penalty was ill advised, the flag shouldn't have been thrown. JFM probably could have held up a little better, but the real issue is that kind of action happens all the time, QB gets rid of the ball a split second before defender that is going 100% at the QB is trying to make a play.

If the refs called that type of play consistently all the time, then it's on JFM, but I've seen much worse happen, and it happened in that game on Sunday against ZW, and nothing was called. That is infuriating. 

It would have been 17-3 at half time, and we probably win the game.

• Upvote 4

Nice write up, man.

Mosley penalty was utter nonsense.

JFM was a ticky tacky call but they do call those, especially for the Pats.

Pats D did a good job taking away the run and Wilson botched way too many passes. Way too many. There was a pass to Conklin on the first drive or two where hes wide open and zach sailed it. Clean pocket too. 

Just too many bad passes.

And, ugh, specials.

Thank you for taking the time to do this write up.

21 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Zach Wilson will never have my respect as long as his first instinct is to run backwards at this first sign of trouble. Does he ever step up in the pocket? Ever? Even Mac Jones showed this ability, and he moves like my grandmother (who passed away years ago).

I will never understand why he does this... I don't understand why the coaches allow him to do this. I get you've got good instincts to escape the pocket, but run forward. I've stopped yelling at the TV in the last 5 years, however I found myself screaming at the TV when I constantly see him do that. He infuriates me because he has talent, but he doesn't know how to use it yet. There was a poll thread about the QB position, and I'm inclined to say, draft one every year until we find the right guy.

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Brissett got slammed several times late last night in the first half nothing called.  Cincy is the super bowl runner up and they get the benefit of the flags.

I saw the same thing… no flag on those plays

5 minutes ago, LSJF said:

I saw the same thing… no flag on those plays

i actually listened to beningo yesterday, he said the same thing about the jfm call.  he acknowledged that guys like BB will get those calls, and that teams like the jets are irrelevant until they win those types of games.  that's how the nfl is, so when it's burrow and the bengals vs an irrelevant browns team (that traded for watson, even worse), the browns and jets do not get those calls.

13 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I will never understand why he does this... I don't understand why the coaches allow him to do this. I get you've got good instincts to escape the pocket, but run forward. I've stopped yelling at the TV in the last 5 years, however I found myself screaming at the TV when I constantly see him do that. He infuriates me because he has talent, but he doesn't know how to use it yet. There was a poll thread about the QB position, and I'm inclined to say, draft one every year until we find the right guy.

3. The D had too many missed tackles and too often a short pass would yield too much YAC (I do like the NE plays, they run a short (3-5 yards) and deeper (7-8) routes - the deeper route blocks for the short route which often yielded a 1st.

Drives me crazy that NE engages their blocks early on every swing/sideline pass. Never gets called. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

They made Mac Jones look pedestrian?  Mac Jones is the poster boy for pedestrian.

I honestly would rather that Wilson took more sacks.  Hang in there and let a few rip.  Stop running around like a moron.  I do not see that as a "great job scrambling."  Evade the rush with purpose.  Either to throw it down field or to run for a gain.  He seems like he thinks we get points for the most time spent on a play.  

I don't blame them for not downing that punt.  Hardee was clearly held IMO. 

It was nice to see that Mims runs like it is the last play of his career.  Moore should take note. 

I assume the D started looking worse based on TOP.  Even when they were winning big at the start the TOP was well in the Pats favor IIRC.  

They need at least one tackle back.  That should stabilize things and hopefully Robinson will fit in better with some more practice time.  The Pats can be tough against the run, but YIKES.  They were bad and 10 targets to backs and only 4 receptions?  Not good.  Some of that is the line getting blown up.  Some the fact that Robinson and Johnson are not the best receivers and some that Wilson seems to carelessly flip the ball around instead of throwing it to the backs with purpose.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

So, this will probably not be as thorough or objective as KRL, but here it goes:

Good:

1. The defense had a great 1st half (except for the stupid penalty) and held the Pats to one touchdown. They made Mac Jones look pedestrian most of the game.

2. Mims had a couple of great plays and didn't have a penalty - hopefully he will be working himself up the depth chart

3. Limited penalties (but the ones we had just devastated us) - The Pats were total bullies the whole game; they were bumping Jets, two players went to the sidelines after the LEGAl hit on Mac Jones - Jets didn't bite.

4. Conklin looked good; when was the last time we had a TE that played that hard. I wouldn't say dominant but that was more on Zach and the O

5. Except for the mistakes (see below), ZW showed some good plays; this does NOT excuse his mistakes, but it shows that while he has a long way to go, there is still promise there (hopefully); the long pass to Mims was a thing of beauty especially after with the scramble. He had some other top notch throws. Some of the scrambling he did to escape the constant pressure was amazing. I think he was only sacked once.

Bad:

1. Zach is still not setting his feet and a few passes are sailing on him. Sometimes he needs to do that, but he needs to set his feet more often and he can't let it sail like that in normal coverage and in the middle of the field; that was 1 of his INTs.

2. The OL; Zach was under pressure the entire game. If not for his scrambling he would have been sacked a lot. No QB can excel with this kind of pressure - I am NOT making excuses for Zach's performance.

3. The D had too many missed tackles and too often a short pass would yield too much YAC (I do like the NE plays, they run a short (3-5 yards) and deeper (7-8) routes - the deeper route blocks for the short route which often yielded a 1st).

4. Special Teams - shanked punt, failure to down a punt, missed FG.

5. Elijah Moore - I did not watch every play, but I felt every time a they showed down field, it seemed that Moore was either blanketed or he had fallen down. If you are going to whine about no targets, you should step up a bit.

Ugly:

1. The cheap shot on Mac Jones by JFM which pretty much cost us the game. Not only did it cost us a TD and allowed a Pats FG, but it took the wind out of the entire team. We could have been coming out at halftime up 17-3 and have put the Pats O under pressure - that would have allowed the D to pin their ears back; it would have also taken a lot of pressure off of ZW. JFM should be benched or traded. This is not the first time he has done this.

2. ZW did a great job scrambling, but he can't keep throwing up these prayer throws. I counted 4 stupid throws - he was fortunate that it only led to 2 (or 3 if you include the sailing INT) INTs. I know it sucks to keep throwing the ball away, but hey. In reverse, on 4th down late in the game, he should have thrown that ball higher to give it a chance at the TD; an INT on 4th down in the other team's EZ is just the same as an incomplete. He has to play smarter.

Officiating:

I think the officials blew a few calls. The personal foul on Mosley was clearly wrong. They also missed a PI, arm bar, against Berrios on that first drive in the second half. They also missed the late hit on GW; his knee was down, but the Pats player picked him up by the leg and threw him down. Otherwise, I thought they did okay. First few penalties were against Pats.

Conclusion - SOJs NOT

The loss was painful, but while the team still beat themselves, it wasn't a typical SOJ loss. The SOJ teams in the past would have been blown out in the second half. Also, the team never quit. The D held the Pats to one TD. And while it was a long shot, we were still in the game at the start of the 4th quarter.

Why we lost? Well the bad and the ugly above is a good start. We also didn't get any breaks: The Mosley almost INT and the Mac Jones fumble that bounced right to the Pats. The real problem, IMO, is that in other close games and comebacks, the Jets won because at least two out of the three aspects of the game were rolling. For the Cleveland it was all three in the last 1:30, but mostly the O and the ST (only successful on-side kick this year I think I heard); for GB it was ST and D. This game it was only the D.

In the end this team is good but has had too many critical players go down and it was playing against a team and HC that always has their number. Even with all of that, the loss (okay maybe garbage TD) was only 5 points. The team is good, but it isn't going to beat every team. Hopefully, we will get either Fant or Max back either next week or after the bye.

it was a weak penalty on JFM but why did he even need to do that push?  it's idiotic and it's already cost us points before.

do you hear him talk, he doesn't even care about it.  he got paid, he doesn't care what happens to the team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsRay said:

Great post!  

Without question that JFM penalty was the dagger that cost us this game. I also think the penalty was ill advised, the flag shouldn't have been thrown. JFM probably could have held up a little better, but the real issue is that kind of action happens all the time, QB gets rid of the ball a split second before defender that is going 100% at the QB is trying to make a play.

If the refs called that type of play consistently all the time, then it's on JFM, but I've seen much worse happen, and it happened in that game on Sunday against ZW, and nothing was called. That is infuriating. 

this is nothing like those split second plays.  the throw was done and JFM thought he could be a bully and give Mac a shove.  I think it definitely cost us the game.  might even cost us going to the playoffs.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

Looking back I think what makes me fume most aside from Zach is the fact they threw a flag on JFM but didn't throw a flag when GW was clearly down and the Patriot picked him up of the ground and threw him down.

Also, if you look back, Zuerlin was run into on his missed field goal attempt. No call.

At this point everything should be reviewable, there are sooooo many missed calls or calls that don't get called down the middle that its getting ridiculous. And the flag on Mosley for hitting Mac was a joke, he was a runner at that point, diving for a first down, not a qb sliding to give himself up.

It was a BS call on JFM.  The refs should not be throwing a flag on close calls like that -- and it wasn't even a hard hit -- when the supposed late hit has zero impact on the throw AND when there's an INT.  Wiping away INTs and pick-sixes because of ticky-tack penalties is just wrong and the NFL should not be allowing these calls to influence games the way they have been.  Pats fans can keep saying how it was the right call -- whatever, you shouldn't get to WIN the game because of it.

And, yes, I'm still fuming about it.

• Upvote 1

When I first saw it, I thought the penalty was tacky-tacky too. When I rewatched without the adrenaline of watching live, I think it was a reasonable call. It was both a little on the late side, and he did launch himself - both are not allowed. JFM needs to learn the rules and know he is going to get called, or he needs to be traded/cut. Maybe it doesn't get called against other teams, but JFM has to know better. Still pissed at him.

The Wilson non-call really pissed me off; maybe the player and the official didn't see that he was down, but GW had clearly given up and he was thrown down after the whistle. More importantly, grabbing the leg like that and throwing him down could have caused a significant injury.

• Upvote 1

Nice write up.

The JFM penalty was a killer.

Rewatched the game a couple of times now.

We’ve all seen the breakdown of Zach versus pressure and without pressure for his career. But what is becoming more obvious is Zach’s decision making in the pocket versus outside the pocket regardless of pressure is not good.

Versus NE ( by my count)

In the pocket (some of which were pressured). 103.4 Rating, 62% CMP%, 285 Yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT

Out of the pocket (some of it was just him thinking there was pressure): 11.8 Rating, 17% CMP%, 70 Yards, 0 TD and 1 INT

It’s great that he can escape the pocket. But his decision making outside the pocket is awful. I dont mind the comp% because a lot of those are throwaways. He would be much better off just running and sliding for even 3-5 yards. The two completions were to players wide open but they were great throws. One was a cross body throw to Conklin for a first down. The second was a roll out to the right and bomb to G Wilson who ran an out/up.

His outside the pocket decision making killed the team. The two INTs and not taking the easy running yards when available are inexcusable.

This could have been his breakout game.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They made Mac Jones look pedestrian?  Mac Jones is the poster boy for pedestrian.

I honestly would rather that Wilson took more sacks.  Hang in there and let a few rip.  Stop running around like a moron.  I do not see that as a "great job scrambling."  Evade the rush with purpose.  Either to throw it down field or to run for a gain.  He seems like he thinks we get points for the most time spent on a play.  

I don't blame them for not downing that punt.  Hardee was clearly held IMO. 

It was nice to see that Mims runs like it is the last play of his career.  Moore should take note. 

I assume the D started looking worse based on TOP.  Even when they were winning big at the start the TOP was well in the Pats favor IIRC.  

They need at least one tackle back.  That should stabilize things and hopefully Robinson will fit in better with some more practice time.  The Pats can be tough against the run, but YIKES.  They were bad and 10 targets to backs and only 4 receptions?  Not good.  Some of that is the line getting blown up.  Some the fact that Robinson and Johnson are not the best receivers and some that Wilson seems to carelessly flip the ball around instead of throwing it to the backs with purpose.

I agree; I was never on the Mac Jones bandwagon like many here (and around the league). We should have had a second INT against him. We should have gotten the fumble recovery. But, I thought the D did a reasonable job.

Yep, accept on 4th down at the end of the game, he CANNOT keep throwing the damn ball up like that; throwing it out of bounds is better than a sack. If he just sits there, he is going to take a beating and I don't want that. There were times when 3 or 4 players are back there. If he doesn't have time to get rid of the ball, he will get killed. Scrambling is one of his strengths - can't turn him into a pocket passer when he can leave the pocket. If there is only one rusher getting through he can rollout and throw - like he did on that bomb to Mims.

Also, some teams struggle against others. Pats used to lose to Dolphins even when they sucked; last night Cleveland embarrassed a much better Cincy team. Hopefully after the break, we kick the Pats butt!

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

So, this will probably not be as thorough or objective as KRL, but here it goes:

Good:

1. The defense had a great 1st half (except for the stupid penalty) and held the Pats to one touchdown. They made Mac Jones look pedestrian most of the game.

2. Mims had a couple of great plays and didn't have a penalty - hopefully he will be working himself up the depth chart

3. Limited penalties (but the ones we had just devastated us) - The Pats were total bullies the whole game; they were bumping Jets, two players went to the sidelines after the LEGAl hit on Mac Jones - Jets didn't bite.

4. Conklin looked good; when was the last time we had a TE that played that hard. I wouldn't say dominant but that was more on Zach and the O

5. Except for the mistakes (see below), ZW showed some good plays; this does NOT excuse his mistakes, but it shows that while he has a long way to go, there is still promise there (hopefully); the long pass to Mims was a thing of beauty especially after with the scramble. He had some other top notch throws. Some of the scrambling he did to escape the constant pressure was amazing. I think he was only sacked once.

Bad:

1. Zach is still not setting his feet and a few passes are sailing on him. Sometimes he needs to do that, but he needs to set his feet more often and he can't let it sail like that in normal coverage and in the middle of the field; that was 1 of his INTs.

2. The OL; Zach was under pressure the entire game. If not for his scrambling he would have been sacked a lot. No QB can excel with this kind of pressure - I am NOT making excuses for Zach's performance.

3. The D had too many missed tackles and too often a short pass would yield too much YAC (I do like the NE plays, they run a short (3-5 yards) and deeper (7-8) routes - the deeper route blocks for the short route which often yielded a 1st).

5. Elijah Moore - I did not watch every play, but I felt every time a they showed down field, it seemed that Moore was either blanketed or he had fallen down. If you are going to whine about no targets, you should step up a bit.

Ugly:

1. The cheap shot on Mac Jones by JFM which pretty much cost us the game. Not only did it cost us a TD and allowed a Pats FG, but it took the wind out of the entire team. We could have been coming out at halftime up 17-3 and have put the Pats O under pressure - that would have allowed the D to pin their ears back; it would have also taken a lot of pressure off of ZW. JFM should be benched or traded. This is not the first time he has done this.

2. ZW did a great job scrambling, but he can't keep throwing up these prayer throws. I counted 4 stupid throws - he was fortunate that it only led to 2 (or 3 if you include the sailing INT) INTs. I know it sucks to keep throwing the ball away, but hey. In reverse, on 4th down late in the game, he should have thrown that ball higher to give it a chance at the TD; an INT on 4th down in the other team's EZ is just the same as an incomplete. He has to play smarter.

Officiating:

I think the officials blew a few calls. The personal foul on Mosley was clearly wrong. They also missed a PI, arm bar, against Berrios on that first drive in the second half. They also missed the late hit on GW; his knee was down, but the Pats player picked him up by the leg and threw him down. Otherwise, I thought they did okay. First few penalties were against Pats.

Conclusion - SOJs NOT

The loss was painful, but while the team still beat themselves, it wasn't a typical SOJ loss. The SOJ teams in the past would have been blown out in the second half. Also, the team never quit. The D held the Pats to one TD. And while it was a long shot, we were still in the game at the start of the 4th quarter.

Why we lost? Well the bad and the ugly above is a good start. We also didn't get any breaks: The Mosley almost INT and the Mac Jones fumble that bounced right to the Pats. The real problem, IMO, is that in other close games and comebacks, the Jets won because at least two out of the three aspects of the game were rolling. For the Cleveland it was all three in the last 1:30, but mostly the O and the ST (only successful on-side kick this year I think I heard); for GB it was ST and D. This game it was only the D.

In the end this team is good but has had too many critical players go down and it was playing against a team and HC that always has their number. Even with all of that, the loss (okay maybe garbage TD) was only 5 points. The team is good, but it isn't going to beat every team. Hopefully, we will get either Fant or Max back either next week or after the bye.

This is exactly the game I watched.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Great post!  

Just in case you missed it.  Same game. One “penalty”.

• Upvote 1

Take off the green glasses, the JFM penalty was well deserved.  He took two full steps after the ball was gone and then hit the QB.  It was a mind numbingly idiotic play which changed the entire trajectory of the game.  That doesn't change the fact that Zach is indecisive, rarely steps up in the pocket and has shown no ability to scan the field quickly.

A couple of things that had me yelling at the teevee like an unhinged lunatic last Sunday:

1) how do the Pats constantly get away with engaging in blocks downfield on passing plays before the ball is caught? 

2) why are Jeff Smith and Braxton Berrios on the field so much? I like Berrios but with Davis out you need to get Moore on the field.

3) Zach. It’s all be covered. The mechanics are worrying. His instincts seem just as bad. You can’t see your WRs when you’re bailing out of the pocket and spinning backwards at the slightest sense of pressure. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Good:

Bad:

Ugly:

Officiating:

Conclusion - SOJs NOT

Nice balanced post but not sure I agree with last paragraph. IMO we were clearly a better team than NE but Zach and our STs killed us. As bad as the loss is the Jets players will come away with renewed confidence that they are better than the Pats. And the Jets play well on the road.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Good:

Bad:

Ugly:

Officiating:

Conclusion - SOJs NOT

mostly agree with your assessment.  but i think it was a soj game.  the patsies came out in the second half and bullied them even more than usual.  wilson lost his composure and didn't do what he needed to win.  and i'm not quite sure if la fleur made the right adjustments at the half.  15 run attempts?  this team needs 25-30 per game to be successful and even if they don't get many long gainers, the running tires out the other team's defense.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Nice balanced post but not sure I agree with last paragraph. IMO we were clearly a better team than NE but Zach and our STs killed us. As bad as the loss is the Jets players will come away with renewed confidence that they are better than the Pats. And the Jets play well on the road.

We were outreached and we did everything wrong and still was in the game. IMO, the JFM roughing call cost us the game more than ZW or ST. In fact, if we come out up 17-3 - D can pin back their ears more and ZW would not have to try and play hero ball.  In the NFL the better team doesn't alway win. But, I appreciate your comments - thanks.