Jets closer to Eagles OT Runyan

kelly

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the jets have adrian jones who will play LT.

I've said it several times already on this board,and I will continue to until the draft:

You do not pass on a talent like D'Brickashaw Ferguson because you have a JAG like Adrian Jones.

I've said it several times already on this board,and I will continue to until the draft:

You do not pass on a talent like D'Brickashaw Ferguson because you have a JAG like Adrian Jones.

Absolutely and Runyan is old. As much as he can help us now Ferguson is a long-term solution. Signing Runyan and drafting Ferguson would give us some flexibility which would be nice. We also wouldn't have to throw Ferguson into the starting lineup right away even though you would like to being that he will be a top 5 pick.

Runyans contract is a question mark as of now also and we don't know the level of commitment(if we have actually agreed ot a contract) we have to him. I would think a 33 year old RT is not exactly what a team in the rebuilding stage is looking for long term.

What about the 4 other VERY GOOD LT's?

None of the tackles in this draft are in the same league as D'Brick. I have no problem trading down and passing on him as long as we get true value for the #4 pick. I don't want to pass on a franchise LT just because we've got an average tackle already and can get another one later in the draft.

You can pray one of them is still there at 29 but its not certain.

You could also trade down... I'm not against trading down but it does seem like your passing up the best player available and a guy who is from Long Island to boot... He would be a hometown hero the type of player who would love to play here his whole career possibly?

Jones is a RFA after 2006. We can still keep him as an adequate, semi-reasonably priced backup LT/RT for 2007 for $1.5M (or a first rounder if someone wants him badly enough).

Brick and Runyan would make a VERY nice pair of bookends. Brick plays at his appropriate position for the next 8-10 years. In 2-3 years, if Runyan really starts to age badly, we'll insert someone else. But finding a late-round fatass to play RT, and grooming him over a 2-year span, is far easier than finding the same for LT. Not to mention if we're still in good cap shape we can always find another veteran RT at that time, much like we're getting Runyan now.

Get Runyan. Get Brick. If Katnik is our guy then we don't need to think about OL until rd 4 or later (and that would be for depth anyway), and we can concentrate on LB's for the 3-4, a nasty playmaker at TE, a QB in rd 2 or 3, a speedy WR, or a stud CB. Lots of options.

I hate to burst everyones bubble but Jetstv is a more credible source than the soruce of this rumor.

Um, we're still in the run - it's a true rumor!

Jets turn focus to fixing lines

Thursday, March 23, 2006 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets' ability to sign veteran free-agent right tackle Jon Runyan -- talks have heated up -- will go a long way toward determining what they'll do in next month's NFL draft.

With the acquisition of quarterback Patrick Ramsey, the Jets seem to have turned their attention to upgrading the offensive and defensive lines.

Should they sign Runyan, who visited yesterday and took a physical, or another veteran offensive tackle, the Jets are expected to target North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, who would be the heir apparent to John Abraham.

If the Jets don't sign a veteran offensive tackle, they'll likely eye Virginia left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the No. 4 pick in the draft.

Despite rampant speculation, it doesn't appear the Jets will try to package their two first-round picks (fourth and 29th) to try to move up to select USC quarterback Matt Leinart. They've also cooled on Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler.

The Jets, who are in a retooling mode, have eight draft picks (not counting compensatory picks) and $8.3 million in new salary cap room with the trade of Abraham.

"We have three picks in the top 35," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said in a conference call. "If an opportunity came along, we'd evaluate that opportunity. But we're happy where we're sitting. It's an excellent opportunity to infuse three good young players onto the roster."

Tannenbaum, however, left his options open. "I won't rule anything in or anything out," he said.

The GM also defended the trade of Abraham to Atlanta, saying the team did well in getting a first-round pick (29th overall). He added the Jets would've kept Abraham if it couldn't get the right deal and said the club simply wasn't prepared to give the player a long-term deal.

"We did what was in the best interest of the team," Tannenbaum said.

Privately, the Jets weren't convinced that Abraham's injury history -- and off-the-field issues -- were behind him and it didn't want to take the risk of signing him to a long-term deal. "If they're living in the past, they're living in the past," Abraham said in a conference call. "That (his DWI arrest) was three years ago."

Asked if he was bitter, Abraham said, "No. Because it ended with me being in Atlanta. I can't hold grudges. I'm happy." Abraham said he never spoke with new coach Eric Mangini and didn't speak to Tannenbaum until yesterday.

Note: Tannenbaum said the Jets have 100 percent participation in the off-season program, which started on Monday. ... Jets TE Chris Baker visited Seattle yesterday.

© 2006 The Star Ledger© 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved

Um, we're still in the run - it's a true rumor!

John Runyan was on the radio and said he recieved no offer from the NY Jets and this was 4pm this afternoon.

The Rumor is the jets have signed him....yet he admitted he hasn't got an offer yet.

So....the Poster with the "inside source" has no source....just a craving for attention.

Are posters that lonely the they have to put up every freaken rumor that pertains to the Jets? These same guys leave no stone unturned going from board to board...you guys get your rocks off with this ****? More often than not, you're wrong...it borders on el sicko than passion for your team...there are no prizes given out for beating other fans to the punch.

These same posters like to get in your face with their opinions...flip flop as the year progresses and I'm sorry, but they have lost all credibility with me. Get a freaken life because all you have is an opinion, same as any other fan and guess what, usually at the end of the season, your predictions are more wrong than even Mel Kiper.

It's entertainment, but just don't get in my face with your opinions unless you're getting paid by the Jets front office and even then, the last several years have been downright laughable.

It's the same posters that were on the Matt Schaub bandwagon...all of a sudden because of some highlight reel, these same guys have become Ramsay ass wipes....:baby:

Are posters that lonely the they have to put up every freaken rumor that pertains to the Jets? These same guys leave no stone unturned going from board to board...you guys get your rocks off with this ****? More often than not, you're wrong...it borders on el sicko than passion for your team...there are no prizes given out for beating other fans to the punch.

These same posters like to get in your face with their opinions...flip flop as the year progresses and I'm sorry, but they have lost all credibility with me. Get a freaken life because all you have is an opinion, same as any other fan and guess what, usually at the end of the season, your predictions are more wrong than even Mel Kiper.

It's entertainment, but just don't get in my face with your opinions unless you're getting paid by the Jets front office and even then, the last several years have been downright laughable.

It's the same posters that were on the Matt Schaub bandwagon...all of a sudden because of some highlight reel, these same guys have become Ramsay ass wipes....:baby:

You know my feelings on this. What makes a person go from board

to board and post a similar topic on each board every day?

Is it because he needs the exposure to see his name? Is this the

only social life he has? Is it necessary to rrespond to every thread

that's posted?

Its pathetic. That's the only word for it.

You know my feelings on this. What makes a person go from board

to board and post a similar topic on each board every day?

Is it because he needs the exposure to see his name? Is this the

only social life he has? Is it necessary to rrespond to every thread

that's posted?

Its pathetic. That's the only word for it.

And it's the other thing Senior...the constant drilling of the same topic over and over to try and get one's point across...like it really matters when the dust has settled...one of these days these type of posters will wake up and realize that they're just a fan...just like everyone else. They're only important little scrubs in their own little minds. Sad when you really think abou it.

What are you old guys babbling about,lol. A message board is here to talk to other jets fans about stuff. During the offseason the same topics get discussed to death.

Nothing to go swallow a cup of draino over. Sure some guys like to have their ego stroked....but that doesn't make them bad people.

What are you old guys babbling about,lol. A message board is here to talk to other jets fans about stuff. During the offseason the same topics get discussed to death.

Nothing to go swallow a cup of draino over. Sure some guys like to have their ego stroked....but that doesn't make them bad people.

Hey Smizzy, whats all this stroking talk going on here? Did I miss something?

Archived