This Just Isn't A Playoff Worthy Team

SoFlaJets

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Actually, watching other games is what makes me understand what people are capable of at the QB position. It has been a stark contrast from Jets QB play for a decade at least. Watching Bengals-Bucs right now. I haven't seen either QB make a single of the Wilsony failure plays that he makes routinely, multiple times per game. I haven't seen any of their receivers just thrown their hands up in exasperation either.

So your point is Zach Wilson, right now, isn't as good as Tom Brady and Joe Burrow?

For sure, I agree.

But I saw Jared Goff threw a few balls wide and a couple at people's feet.  It's the game.  Zach's hasn't been good.  I'm not saying he has - he hasn't.

But he was fine today.  He had a rough 3rd quarter - no doubt. 

But he came up big when he was asked to late in the game.  And I think that's worthy of just an acknowledgement.    He made plays today.

I know the cool kids on JetNation won't like you admit that, but it is the truth.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

So your point is Zach Wilson, right now, isn't as good as Tom Brady and Joe Burrow?

For sure, I agree.

But I saw Jared Goff threw a few balls wide and a couple at people's feet.  It's the game.  Zach's hasn't been good.  I'm not saying he has - he hasn't.

But he came up big when he was asked to late in the game.  And I think that's worthy of just an acknowledgement.    He made plays today.

I know the cool kids on JetNation won't like you admit that, but it is the truth.

If that's what you think my point is, I don't know what else to say to you. Maybe eat more fish?

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

For sure, I agree.

A QB that can only complete 51% of his passes isn't good enough to be a starter in the NFL

I think I said this in another thread about the missing piece a few weeks ago, but today it was that much more clear: I truly believe the difference between being a 7-7 team as we are today and a championship caliber team is the offensive line.

I don’t like making declarative/hypothetical statements like this, but if we had Detroit’s offensive line I think we would be a 12-2 football team right now.

• Upvote 4

Sad thing is.....I would bet my bottom dollar this WOULD be a playoff team without all the injuries we sustained.  I know sour grapes and all but we're assessing whether this team at present is a playoff caliber team, and while I agree it's not at this point, I'm not sure the question has as much meaning when you consider the injuries

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sometime I really feel like when you Zach Wilson - it's like you forget to watch other teams.  

QB's take sacks, QB's miss open receivers, QB's go 3 and out, QB's throw INT's.   It's a streaky game.  

I'm not saying Zach Wilson is the answer - I don't believe he is right now.  But his performance today was fine.  

Locker room turmoil?

This is my take as well.  At this stage of his development, Zach is a complementary player.  He's not going to take over a game and win it, which is what a FQB is able to do.  Sure he got a few breaks - that lollipop to Carter was a gift from Santa.  But I don't think he lost us the game either.  This game boils down to a lack of support from the OL (50 yds rushing), another ST breakdown, and some bizarre coaching (clock management/MLF play calling)

• Upvote 2

There 32 NFL teams each worth $3 billion+ that want to take 14 playoff spots.

When the Jets were starting in the hole that they were, and they blew picks like Becton, Mims and Zach Wilson, it is hard to make the playoffs.   

The Jets have been competitive because of JD’s other great moves, but the bad ones are dragging the team down. 

Another solid draft and FA this offseason should result in a better Jets team.  I agree that JD has to keep investing in the OL until he creates a dominant unit.  

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

I agree we've had control of our own destiny for the past 3 weeks and we can't just win. I'm not worrying anymore about all the other turd teams losing....means nothing when you're losing yourself.

This is where I am also.

i keep seeing guys post “if we run the table…” We’ve lost 4 of 5 and Zach Wilson is going to be playing QB the rest of this season.

disapprove seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

We've been in every game for the last 10. This team is right on the cusp. 

I don’t know. This is a collapse on par with the Coslet/Carroll eras. December traditionally was the month of horrors for the Jets before things got even as bad as they have been over the last decade. It feels like things are going backwards again. The Vikings loss was crushing.  The QB situation is still in flux. Still no elite edge guy. Offensive line isn’t good. Their best player on offense is coming off a torn ACL. It still comes down to the QB and the Jets are still in no man’s land. If possible you have to consider giving Lamar the bag.

I don’t know. This is a collapse on par with the Coslet/Carroll eras. December traditionally was the month of horrors for the Jets before things got even as bad as they have been over the last decade. It feels like things are going backwards again. The Vikings loss was crushing.  The QB situation is still in flux. Still no elite edge guy. Offensive line isn’t good. Their best player on offense is coming off a torn ACL. It still comes down to the QB and the Jets are still in no man’s land. If possible you have to consider giving Lamar the bag.
Want no part of Lamar .. would set this team back a decade while we watch him try to run behind this line ???

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah they started out hot and got ahead of schedule. Suddenly you’re in a playoff race. But then too many injuries to irreplaceable guys like AVT & Breece and it just went sideways. Team is fighting, though. But tough to overcome a lack of talent and experience in December. 

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

What about QBs that don't pass the ball barely at all ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Maybe somebody can explain this response to my previous statement for me because I don't understand the question or who he's referring to.

14 hours ago, football guy said:

I think I said this in another thread about the missing piece a few weeks ago, but today it was that much more clear: I truly believe the difference between being a 7-7 team as we are today and a championship caliber team is the offensive line.

I don’t like making declarative/hypothetical statements like this, but if we had Detroit’s offensive line I think we would be a 12-2 football team right now.

agreed, it all starts with the fatties up front as we used to say

1 minute ago, VJphillyfan said:

We’ve been a year away 12 years in a row

I really think they need to straighten out the playing and practice surfaces they work on. If it's grass at Florham Park then it should be the exact same at East Rutherford. If it's that fake crap that's causing so many non-contact catastrophes then they need to change things up. The amount of injuries this year just seems like an inordinate amount. Also, the training staff should be looked at, someone isn't doing something right some where. 

15 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

we lost because of our uniforms 

If you follow Woody Johnson you'd tend to believe that is a factor since he's more concerned with the fashion statement of the day than the turf or the idea of ever allowing Joe Flacco to set foot on a playing field again with a competent body dressed in street clothes

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wilson is poor but they lost two games with white at QB, I agree with your assessment.  Good, playoff teams over come some spotty QB play. 

The Jets gave up the kick return and had the lead late.  Whatever though all the ills of the team all of them are on Wilson it seems.

They lost 2 games with White.  You do understand that good, playoff teams lose games, right?  Their last 3 games have been close against playoff caliber teams.

The issue is that we lost 2 games to NE, not a playoff caliber team, SOLELY because of Zach.  Those 2 games are the biggest problems of the season by far.  Not a kick return there or a fumble here.  Those things still happen to good teams.  Zach's QB play has not been "spotty", it has been damaging.

5 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

They lost 2 games with White.  You do understand that good, playoff teams lose games, right?  Their last 3 games have been close against playoff caliber teams.

The issue is that we lost 2 games to NE, not a playoff caliber team, SOLELY because of Zach.  Those 2 games are the biggest problems of the season by far.  Not a kick return there or a fumble here.  Those things still happen to good teams.  Zach's QB play has not been "spotty", it has been damaging.

and we could have won both of those games we lost games with Wilson that we SHOULD have won-big difference. Yesterday's QB play just isn't a good enough standard for a starting NFL QB. Wilson gives away 3-5 series' a game when he plays in his typical weekly funk. His 3rd quarter numbers 2-11 32 YDS 0 1 INT, The Jets aren't good enough to forfeit whole quarters because of inept play at quarterback

• Upvote 1

Minus QB I don't think the problem on the team is the roster as much as it is coaching. Sure, there are some pieces to swap out and players like Mosley who are good for killing the team with a couple bad plays most games. Almost every team has a few players who could go for an upgrade. 

IMO the team underperforms the quality of the roster in part due to lacking good QB play most games this season but because of the way the team is coached and kinda the system itself. You take out the star players and the team looks terrible. E.g. once AVT went out the OL looked terrible. How does your RG make a night and day difference to the entire OL? QW is out so the DL becomes invisible? Hall went down and seeing the offense score two TDs a game is a rare occurrence? The rest of the roster isn't this bad. It's not 2014. 

It seems like there are bonehead decisions by the coaching staff almost every game, the team rarely seems committed to play at full intensity for an entire game and the offense has not been great across three different QBs. This team will not be a serious competitor as long as the athleticism of a handful of players has to bail out coaching decisions. I'm starting to get concerned that the good players on the team aren't going to want to stick around to play on a team with no solid QB and coaching problems that leaves the team at a .500 ceiling.