For everyone calling for Jimmy G/Rodgers/Carr/other big name vet...

On 12/18/2022 at 9:01 PM, Beerfish said:

I'd be surprised if they were able to dump wilson this off season even if they want to. 

The next three games need to be a White audition.  Try and resign White but if he wants too much, see ya.

No matter what even if they stay with white and wilson they need to bring in a legit competitor, not joe flacco.

And can we see Streveler? Damn guy was magic in pre-season. I know, I know … Canada, future UPS driver, etc. What if he balls out and leaves defenses in disarray?! The Disheveler!  To heck with The Chandalier, Milfeasance, and The Statue … Streveler is comin’ at you! 

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2022 at 9:27 PM, carlito1171 said:

Fanbase would grow to love Minshew if given the chance and he fits this offense very well....he's the more mobile, fancy steakhouse version of Mike White, but honestly speaking there's not gonna be a lot of options if any for the Jets to land a top 15 QB....

I think a Garapolo or Minshew would make us a solid playoff team.  I'd keep White as the backup and Zach as the 3rd and inactive unles or until he really looks like a better option than White.  Dead cap on Wilson is $20MM otherwise.

Draft a solid big #2 receiver and a solid middle linebacker and we will be fine  Continue to strengthen the o-line and get a good punter.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

I think a Garapolo or Minshew would make us a solid playoff team.  I'd keep White as the backup and Zach as the 3rd and inactive unles or until he really looks like a better option than White.  Dead cap on Wilson is $20MM otherwise.

Draft a solid big #2 receiver and a solid middle linebacker and we will be fine  Continue to strengthen the o-line and get a good punter.

Filthy hater you 

On 12/20/2022 at 9:36 PM, Jetluv58 said:

And can we see Streveler? Damn guy was magic in pre-season. I know, I know … Canada, future UPS driver, etc. What if he balls out and leaves defenses in disarray?! The Disheveler!  To heck with The Chandalier, Milfeasance, and The Statue … Streveler is comin’ at you! 

You saw Saleh’s comments about how the team needs to stick up for BYU. No chance in hell he risks yet another nobody outperforming headband.

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not hard.

Derek Carr is demonstrably better than Mike White. He has over 35K passing yards, over 200 TDs and a better than 2:1 TD/INT ratio and rarely misses a game. Carr threw for nearly 5K last year with Ruggs as his #1 WR. Mike White has started 6 games, got injured in three and has less than 2k yards, 8 TDs and 10 INTs.

Carr is far and away the better option from a pure football pov. If you want to argue the value of trade & cap space, that's a different discussion but to say it's not clear Carr is better is beyond silly. I mean c'mon.

Carr makes us a legit superbowl contender w/AVT, Becton & Hall coming back.

Raiders have to cut carr for cap reasons as mcdaniels has sold owners on rebuild. We get him as UFA,  keep picks

On 12/21/2022 at 8:26 PM, Flashlite80 said:

Garoppolo?

How could any Jets fan, knowing our long and tortured history of devastating injuries (particularly at QB), be interested in Garoppolo? He shouldn't even be a consideration, IMO (especially given how much money he will command on the open market). 

Guess what? If our QB1-QB3 is Garoppolo/White/Wilsion - there is a very decent chance you are staring at Wilson again by week 10. 

No more injury prone QBs. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mo Lew said:

Step 1: Ask Sean Payton who he wants at QB

Step 2: Do everything possible to acquire said QB

Step 3: Hire Sean Payton

I guarantee this simple 3 step approach will yield benefits that have been foreign to Jets fans for the past decade.  

Payton and Parcells are still tight. I'm sure once Payton even asks about working with Woodrow Sean wouldn't even pick up his phone call.

On 12/20/2022 at 3:36 PM, Jetluv58 said:

Streveler looks like a homeless man’s Ray Lucas.  He was better than Zach Wilson but that’s a very low bar

2 hours ago, TommyT said:

I am fine never drafting a qb again. 

I mean hey, the Chiefs kinda did that for a long while and it worked out OK:

• Steve DeBerg
  • Dave Krieg
  • Joe Montana
  • Steve Bono
  • Rich Gannon
  • Elvis Grbac
  • Trent Green
  • Matt Cassel
  • Alex Smith

Just gotta be ready to go get your Mahomes, via trade-up if necessary, when the opportunity presents itself.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean hey, the Chiefs kinda did that for a long while and it worked out OK:

• Steve DeBerg
  • Dave Krieg
  • Joe Montana
  • Steve Bono
  • Rich Gannon
  • Elvis Grbac
  • Trent Green
  • Matt Cassel
  • Alex Smith

Just gotta be ready to go get your Mahomes, via trade-up if necessary, when the opportunity presents itself.

As long as we don’t draft Jaren Hall.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Tannehill could also be an option. I banged the table for him as Darnold bust insurance when he shook free from Miami. He’s older now and has faded some but still is a competent stopgap who can preside over a run-first team with a good D.

I don't know what the problem is with him this year, if it's even just any one thing. I haven't looked up specific #s but I think earlier in the season it was noted their OL gets a lot of penalties (imagine if all our Thursday night false starts were the weekly norm). Plus they're in a weak division, figuring they can get in with a ground game and defense; after that they can tailor more to each opponent. But this year Tannehill had been getting as many attempts per game as a pre-benched (first '22 benching lol) ZW. Plus they dumped his stud WR for a rookie (Burks is plenty talented, I'm sure, but he is a rookie, and this is a playoff team without enough else + Woods isn't [yet] the same player he was pre-injury). They spent so much on others he became a casualty, which was foolish; cut someone else loose instead.

With the GM change, there's a decent chance they go in a different direction at QB and make him expendable. Henry's great but historically speaking, he's about to hit the RB career wall so they won't be able to tailor an offense around him for much longer, and will be a 30 yr old FA after the 2023 season.

But 4 games in 12 without throwing a TD pass is something to look into why. He'll also be 35 himself next season. Not old-old, but who knows if he's already got some physical limitations, compared to just a couple years ago, and Ten knows what they're doing in hiding him more this season. They took a shot on Malik Willis on day 2 in April, but holy hell they hid him even more than the Jets hid ZW, seemingly not without reason. RT is not without significant injury history himself, but until this year he hadn't missed a game for Ten.

So the new GM may look to spend some of their AJ Brown non-spendings + cut ties with Tannehill (remove his $27MM salary), and parlay that into a move for someone else instead. They've got major cap rooms with the roster as-is.

I've no desire the Jets pay big for Garoppolo. None at all. If they're going to pay big, then pay big, but don't pay big for a guy with a 50-50 chance of missing 10+ games & isn't all that impressive when he's on the field anyway. Playing fully through November makes 2022 one of his more durable seasons. I find it preposterous, the very thought of paying this injury-prone game manager anywhere near $30MM per, let alone with 2-3 seasons guaranteed. My ceiling for him would be guaranteeing only 1 yr at $20MM, figuring he'll miss enough games that re-signing Mike White or another viable starter will also be necessary, so if he can do better elsewhere that's fine with me.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I've no desire the Jets pay big for Garoppolo. None at all. If they're going to pay big, then pay big, but don't pay big for a guy with a 50-50 chance of missing 10+ games & isn't all that impressive when he's on the field anyway. Playing fully through November makes 2022 one of his more durable seasons. I find it preposterous, the very thought of paying this injury-prone game manager anywhere near $30MM per, let alone with 2-3 seasons guaranteed. My ceiling for him would be guaranteeing only 1 yr at $20MM, figuring he'll miss enough games that re-signing Mike White or another viable starter will also be necessary, so if he can do better elsewhere that's fine with me

This. 

Heck, I'm not even convinced Jimmy G is better than MW.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Tannehill could also be an option. I banged the table for him as Darnold bust insurance when he shook free from Miami. He’s older now and has faded some but still is a competent stopgap who can preside over a run-first team with a good D.

The one thing we have to keep in mind is that JD and Saleh know they could be on the hot seat if this team doesn't both improve and get to the playoffs next year.  Tannehill feels like a half-arsed swing at QB, considering their jobs could be on the line.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The one thing we have to keep in mind is that JD and Saleh know they could be on the hot seat if this team doesn't both improve and get to the playoffs next year.  Tannehill feels like a half-arsed swing at QB, considering their jobs could be on the line.

I hear that but the problem also comes down to who is truly available…

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This. 

Heck, I'm not even convinced Jimmy G is better than MW.

Sadly he's been more durable, though in fairness their durability was about on par when JG first got started.

1. Even with NE, when they needed him to start the first month during TB's suspension, he got injured in his 2nd start (remember when they had to go to rookie Brissett for the last 2.5 of those 4 games)?
  2. Then he goes to SF and misses the season until the last 5 games -- the famous 5-0 run, but then you look at the schedule. 
  3. Then injured week 3 of the following season.
  4. Then plays one whole season, and they go to the SB (but hardly because of his 100 passing yards/game in the playoffs to get there).
  5. Then another injury year, where he doesn't start & finish a whole game past October.
  6. Then another full season, again QBing 2 playoff wins - again while throwing very little - before collapsing in the 4th quarter of the NFCCG, taking 2 delay of game penalties & throwing a late pick to seal the loss, when they did need him to pass to win it.
  7. Then this year, playing solid game-manager ball after Lance went on IR, and predictably goes on IR himself 4 pass attempts into December. 

It's just by dumb luck the 49ers season wasn't ruined by another JG injury, with 3rd string Mr. Irrelevant rookie becoming an instant baller.

He gets a lot of brainfarts, too (late close-game picks; delays of game; taking 3rd/4th down sacks). We're just tolerant of it because it's not happening for the Jets.

But the injury history alone is a disqualifier for anywhere near the $30MM/yr some here think he's going to get. I'd be shocked if he got that myself. No doubt he's a better QB than Wilson, but that's not enough. Any team that goes with him will still need another starter-level QB. Better than White? I'd be able to judge that better if White could stay on the field for 3 straight games.

• Post of the Week 1