Douglas/FO v Saleh/LaFleur over benching Zach Wilson(?)

T0mShane

Just now, slimjasi said:

Ok, maybe you are right. I think you might be jumping the gun a little bit. We’ll find out soon enough 

Lmao 

his mother told you all you need to know, the Jets actions tell you all you need to know, Zach Wilson teammates actions tell you all you need to know.

But hey I’m the one jumping the gun, I thought that’s called reading the room. 

Just now, Coquito said:

No, it wasn't. It really shouldn't have come down to that. Are you blaming him for the loss, because of that?

I'd like to know why Flacco couldn't play against the Lions but he's 2nd string on Sunday. I'd like to know who's decision that was. 

I am blaming him for not being able to manage the clock. The fact he hired a time management coach and this happened is even more pathetic. 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

We don't need the medial guys with their suppositions to know clearly what is going on and what is going to happen.  We all have our eyes and ears and for most of us, we have good sense that isn't overcome with fanboy compulsions.

Eyes and ears conclude that Zach Wilson is the worst QB the Jets have drafted in the first round.  Not only has his play been awful, but there has been no improvement.  None.  

Eyes, ears and sound reasoning tell us all ZW is done regardless of the coach-speak we are going to hear until he's off the roster.

He's done until he's not. And he's only really done once he's off the roster. 

Right now he is an expensive mistake but it also makes no financial sense to eat the dead money and cut him. It just doesn't. He is still 23 and clearly has talent.

It's simple. The Jets will sit him. Have him practice. And go after a legit vet who can take them on a playoff run. 

This is simple. White is a FA. Flacco is a FA. Strev is Strev. He will probably be PS fodder again. They have no other commitments to the QB position and can shop in FA for a guy they like. There ARE a number of options. I think JD understands the severity of this need on the roster and will be willing to give up some draft capital if a trade becomes available. Fans may not love the guy we end up with. It may be Brissett (I would actually not mind that). We may end up over-paying for Carr or Jimmy G (I would also not mind that). Maybe we swing a trade for Tannenhill and restructure his deal. I don't know. But all of those are upgrades over MW and definitely, definitely, Zach.   

10 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Lmao 

his mother told you all you need to know, the Jets actions tell you all you need to know, Zach Wilson teammates actions tell you all you need to know.

But hey I’m the one jumping the gun, I thought that’s called reading the room. 

Again, we’ll find out soon enough. I think he could certainly be gone, but it remains to be seen. We can agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Coquito said:

My only concern with JD going forward is what motivates all his decisions, self preservation or what is in the best interests of the future of the Jets? I realize they are not always mutually exclusive but I am concerned, because he has some major decisions to make.

^Agreed.  He should reach out to @kevinc855 for advice.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Whose decision was it to rely on Becton? If there’s any truth to this then I think it’s obvious they may not be on the same page. We’re still holding onto the crappy punter too.

Perhaps all of them.  HEAVEN forbid that they might know something inside the building that the media are not privy to, which means we the fans would know nothing about.

The CS and FO might have all actually believed Becton was a) healthy and b) ready to perform this year when he went down again.  

Something tells me they will NOT be counting on him next season, and we will be spending some money on the OL in the off-season and investing some draft capital as well. 

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He's done until he's not. And he's only really done once he's off the roster. 

Right now he is an expensive mistake but it also makes no financial sense to eat the dead money and cut him. It just doesn't. He is still 23 and clearly has talent.

It's simple. The Jets will sit him. Have him practice. And go after a legit vet who can take them on a playoff run. 

This is simple. White is a FA. Flacco is a FA. Strev is Strev. He will probably be PS fodder again. They have no other commitments to the QB position and can shop in FA for a guy they like. There ARE a number of options. I think JD understands the severity of this need on the roster and will be willing to give up some draft capital if a trade becomes available. Fans may not love the guy we end up with. It may be Brissett (I would actually not mind that). We may end up over-paying for Carr or Jimmy G (I would also not mind that). Maybe we swing a trade for Tannenhill and restructure his deal. I don't know. But all of those are upgrades over MW and definitely, definitely, Zach.   

Agree on all counts.  He is done, but unless they get a compelling offer for him, they will keep him on the roster.  Also agree with the FA's you listed above.  All better than ZW and White.

I am also eyeing a guy they may want to draft.  Check out Tanner McKee.  He will probably be a late first round or early second round.  Lots of tools but probably needs a season on the bench. 

46 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree on all counts.  He is done, but unless they get a compelling offer for him, they will keep him on the roster.  Also agree with the FA's you listed above.  All better than ZW and White.

I am also eyeing a guy they may want to draft.  Check out Tanner McKee.  He will probably be a late first round or early second round.  Lots of tools but probably needs a season on the bench. 

My view on the Jets drafting a QB early (or at all) is three fold. 

1. JD will draft the BAP at an area of need. If that is a QB (clear area of need), then he will take him. And when I say BAP I mean on THEIR chart. 

2. Whether the Jets consider a QB in the draft will depend on what they do in FA to address the position. Do they trade for/sign a young QB hoping for hitting on his upside (including MW)? Do they sign a much older vet at the tail end of his career? How much will the QB cost? Because the Jets can’t have too much money invested at the QB position with Zach + vet QB + potentially early round rookie. It would just be too much. 

3. What do the Jets do to address other positions of need in FA. If we are going into the draft with a clear hole at OT and have signed a vet QB, I’m heavily leaning towards a plug and play OT. Etc., etc. 

I realize this is pretty self evident but I’m not really delving into QB prospects until I have an idea of what the Jets plan to do in FA. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

My view on the Jets drafting a QB early (or at all) is three fold. 

1. JD will draft the BAP at an area of need. If that is a QB (clear area of need), then he will take him. And when I say BAP I mean on THEIR chart. 

2. Whether the Jets consider a QB in the draft will depend on what they do in FA to address the position. Do they trade for/sign a young QB hoping for hitting on his upside (including MW)? Do they sign a much older vet at the tail end of his career? How much will the QB cost? Because the Jets can’t have too much money invested at the QB position with Zach + vet QB + potentially early round rookie. It would just be too much. 

3. What do the Jets do to address other positions of need in FA. If we are going into the draft with a clear hole at OT and have signed a vet QB, I’m heavily leaning towards a plug and play OT. Etc., etc. 

I realize this is pretty self evident but I’m not really delving into QB prospects until I have an idea of what the Jets plan to do in FA. 

Yes, yes and yes.  Regardless, since JD may very well end up drafting a QB, I like to start kicking the tires on the QB draft prospects right now. 

I'm not sure now how many fans realize just how badly the ZW pick has damaged the Jets ascendency.  Along with the awful performance that we have all seen, it has also cast a shadow on JD, Saleh and LeFleur.  Pundits are already talking about LeFleur as if he is already fired.

All of the Jets offensive problems have been a direct result of the QB position.  All of them.

Either JD deals the Jets an Ace at the QB spot during the off season, or you can look forward to another disaippointing season in 2023 and another failed regime.  No way does the JD/Saleh regime make it into 2024 if the 2023 starting QB does not perform well.  

The QB spot was EVERYTHING in 2022 and it was a mess.  

The QB spot will be EVERYTHING in 2023.  If it is another disaster, there wont be a 2024 for those responsible.

Joe Douglas knows football. He knows talent when he sees it even if he is going to get some picks wrong at times like with Zach. With that said, I don't understand why he would resist pulling Zach Wilson and not wanting Zach being a bust with the Jets to be on his resume. It is what it is. There is no real alternative. He's not good. You can't hide him and make him good. All you can do is hide him and buy yourself more time until you eventually get fired.

Joe D should understand that and realize his best protection is to make a quick pivot and move on. Make Zach Wilson a thing of the past. Having Mike White prove he can play helps as well since he was a Joe D signing as well. Why attach yourself to the Zach Wilson sinking ship? Unless he still somehow thinks Zach can be fixed. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

As I wrote a couple of days ago, don’t be shocked if Wilson is still on the team next year as QB2 or QB3. 

The only reason Douglas traded Darnold was because he fell in love with Wilson’s upside during the draft process. I personally doubt that the Jets will cut Wilson and I could see Douglas putting a significant price on Wilson in any trade. Unless Wilson’s camp demands a trade (also unlikely, IMO), I think there is a non-negligible chance that Wilson is here 

Again, not crazy to think they PS him all 2023 and dare somebody desperate for a QB,  presumably later in the season,  to sign Wilson and take the contract. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Joe Douglas knows football. He knows talent when he sees it even if he is going to get some picks wrong at times like with Zach. With that said, I don't understand why he would resist pulling Zach Wilson and not wanting Zach being a bust with the Jets to be on his resume. It is what it is. There is no real alternative. He's not good. You can't hide him and make him good. All you can do is hide him and buy yourself more time until you eventually get fired.

Joe D should understand that and realize his best protection is to make a quick pivot and move on. Make Zach Wilson a thing of the past. Having Mike White prove he can play helps as well since he was a Joe D signing as well. Why attach yourself to the Zach Wilson sinking ship? Unless he still somehow thinks Zach can be fixed. 

He can easily redeem himself by upgrading the offensive line and grabbing a prospect QB in the later rounds, unless one falls into his lap in the 2nd round. You can't give up on kids coming out of college because of one bad mistake. 3rd string QB's matter.

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The QB spot will be EVERYTHING in 2023.  If it is another disaster, there wont be a 2024 for those responsible.

Which is why JD will bring in a proven vet. 

“I'm not sure now how many fans realize just how badly the ZW pick has damaged the Jets ascendency.  Along with the awful performance that we have all seen, it has also cast a shadow on JD, Saleh and LeFleur.  Pundits are already talking about LeFleur as if he is already fired.”

I mean. It’s hard to take this seriously. Yes, the Zach pick hurts. Yes, it’s a bad look. But JD knocked his last draft out the park and the Jets won more games than anyone expected. Pundits will talk and jump all over the Jets if they don’t make the playoffs. Who knows what Woody will do, but if he is smart he will stay the course with JD and this coaching staff. 
Assuming this team can stay healthy next year and JD brings in a solid vet QB along with majority of the core, there is no reason to think this is not a playoff team in 2023. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

and JD brings in a solid vet QB along with majority of the core, there is no reason to think this is not a playoff team in 2023. 

That is a big IF.  QB is so valued, few if any teams will ever part with a good one.  More often than not, you are buying another team's problem. 

My preferred course of action is to bring in an affordable but decent vet to play the spot until a newly drafted QB like Tanner McKee is ready to go.  Big money FA's like Garoppplo may not be able to stay on the field and Carr never seems to come through when it is needed the most.  

Anyway you slice it, it is daunting.

I say do good scouting and find the right guy late in the first round and let them give him all the time he needs on the bench while an affordable FA plays game manager.  Perhaps even Mike White depending on what we see the next two weeks.  

• Upvote 2

So with all of the fire Saleh  and JD talk who do we bring in? I don’t think Sean Payton would even consider working for WJ. The players all say how they love playing for RS. If you think we are the NFL’s whipping boy now, just think of the media firestorm that would ensue if that happened. The Jets would be ripped constantly and be the laughing stock for years to come, no coach in there right mind would come here after firing a guy like RS after 2 years.

We are finally getting players that want to come to the Jets, that would end. I can’t think of any respectable coach besides another first timer.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

So with all of the fire Saleh  and JD talk who do we bring in? I don’t think Sean Payton would even consider working for WJ. The players all say how they love playing for RS. If you think we are the NFL’s whipping boy now, just think of the media firestorm that would ensue if that happened. The Jets would be ripped constantly and be the laughing stock for years to come, no coach in there right mind would come here after firing a guy like RS after 2 years.

We are finally getting players that want to come to the Jets, that would end. I can’t think of any respectable coach besides another first timer.  

with a decent QB, the fire Saleh, LeFleur and JD talk will vanish quickly.  The Jets are a very nice team being badly held back by an awful QB situation. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Coquito said:

He can easily redeem himself by upgrading the offensive line and grabbing a prospect QB in the later rounds, unless one falls into his lap in the 2nd round. You can't give up on kids coming out of college because of one bad mistake. 3rd string QB's matter.

I appreciate your sentiment but calling the Jets history of drafting quarterbacks "one bad mistake" has to be one of the great understatements of all time.  Actually made me chuckle.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

I appreciate your sentiment but calling the Jets history of drafting quarterbacks "one bad mistake" has to be one of the great understatements of all time.  Actually made me chuckle.  

I hear ya, but I was specifically commenting on Joe Douglass' career.