Douglas/FO v Saleh/LaFleur over benching Zach Wilson(?)

T0mShane

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

Just as an outsider looking in I had the vibe that they were really hand in hand with each other. Both sides have their input and they discuss everything. 

It’s possible that there is friction, but they seem very close and are willing to disagree but ultimately come to a meeting point. 

Whose decision was it to rely on Becton? If there’s any truth to this then I think it’s obvious they may not be on the same page. We’re still holding onto the crappy punter too.

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think there is any doubt there’s friction. The play to potentially land an Adam Peters (Saleh’s guy) could be on the table. (Purely speculative) Similar to the Gase Maccagnan situation. 

Why would Woody favor Saleh in a power struggle? Douglas is much better at his job than Saleh is at his.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Most recent Cimini pod has Cimini putting the brakes on Glazer’s reporting that Zach is on his way out. Very interesting and heretofore unrevealed nugget that Douglas was the one who resisted benching Zach Wilson after Pats Disaster II, and it’ll be Douglas making the call as to whether Zach stays or goes this offseason. Cimini surmises that Douglas and his scouts don’t want that Josh Rosen-like black mark on their resumés, but Saleh and LaFleur want him out. 

Interesting side by side with Rosenblatt’s note that, when they benched Zach Wilson in the third quarter of the Jags game, Zach took the field with the offensive huddle, the boos rained down, and then they pulled Zach and made him jog off the field to cheers. If anyone was at the game, was that the sequence of events? If so, harsh, but you would presume intentional. Shades of Rex Ryan trying to make Antonio Allen play corner to teach Idzik a lesson for not signing DRC. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flight-deck-with-rich-cimini/id1466085257?i=1000591411127

FO and CS getting off the same page over a struggling player leading to both their firings….

Where have I seen this story before ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Interesting side by side with Rosenblatt’s note that, when they benched Zach Wilson in the third quarter of the Jags game, Zach took the field with the offensive huddle, the boos rained down, and then they pulled Zach and made him jog off the field to cheers. If anyone was at the game, was that the sequence of events? 

Yes, it was

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I appreciate that. But what has Saleh shown as a head coach, to suggest he should win any potential power struggle? 

Generally the team plays hard. The defense competes. Aside from the timeout debacle I think in games he’s decent. Overall I just don’t see the progress from a roster construction standpoint to trust Douglas to keep going. Wilson and Becton were absolutely brutal draft picks. A further dive into the day 2 and 3 picks isn’t pretty either. Zuniga over Highsmith? How? The punter is atrocious. Mims is a total bust. Too many bad picks that could have easily been avoided. 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Most recent Cimini pod has Cimini putting the brakes on Glazer’s reporting that Zach is on his way out. Very interesting and heretofore unrevealed nugget that Douglas was the one who resisted benching Zach Wilson after Pats Disaster II, and it’ll be Douglas making the call as to whether Zach stays or goes this offseason. Cimini surmises that Douglas and his scouts don’t want that Josh Rosen-like black mark on their resumés, but Saleh and LaFleur want him out. 

Interesting side by side with Rosenblatt’s note that, when they benched Zach Wilson in the third quarter of the Jags game, Zach took the field with the offensive huddle, the boos rained down, and then they pulled Zach and made him jog off the field to cheers. If anyone was at the game, was that the sequence of events? If so, harsh, but you would presume intentional. Shades of Rex Ryan trying to make Antonio Allen play corner to teach Idzik a lesson for not signing DRC. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flight-deck-with-rich-cimini/id1466085257?i=1000591411127

Like I've been saying, the front office has been behind Zach Wilson playing the last 2 weeks when everyone knew he was the worst option. The front office may have sabotaged the season in order to not look like idiots. There are 32 GM positions. If a guy thinks his job is on the line he's going to do whatever it takes to save it regardless of the team winning. I don't know why that's hard to believe. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Generally the team plays hard. The defense competes. Aside from the timeout debacle I think in games he’s decent. Overall I just don’t see the progress from a roster construction standpoint to trust Douglas to keep going. Wilson and Becton were absolutely brutal draft picks. A further dive into the day 2 and 3 picks isn’t pretty either. Zuniga over Highsmith? How? The punter is atrocious. Mims is a total bust. Too many bad picks that could have easily been avoided. 

Look at the rest of the league. It’s impossible to hit on even 75% of picks. If you are around 55% then you are doing fantastic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Like I've been saying, the front office has been behind Zach Wilson playing the last 2 weeks when everyone knew he was the worst option. The front office may have sabotaged the season in order to not look like idiots. There are 32 GM positions. If a guy thinks his job is on the line he's going to do whatever it takes to save it regardless of the team winning. I don't know why that's hard to believe. 

How exactly was the season sabotaged? Mike White was put in after New England, he got run over by a truck. Mike White is cleared to play, he is playing. What did you want them to do? Play Joe Flacco? I'm going to assume that's your answer. How did that go last time out? At least we had a chance to win the Detroit game.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Generally the team plays hard. The defense competes. Aside from the timeout debacle I think in games he’s decent. Overall I just don’t see the progress from a roster r construction standpoint to trust Douglas to keep going. Wilson and Becton were absolutely brutal draft picks. 

Is the defense good because of coaching, or is it a reflection of the talent on the roster? Increasingly, I think it's the latter. The Jets should have a top 5 defense. 

The offense is misfiring. Wilson and Becton should not have been picked when they were, but has Saleh managed to maximize their potential. Has Saleh maximised Mims and Moore? All these first and second round picks and Saleh doesn't know what to do with them. 

That's Saleh's problem, he doesn't seem to be able to work with 'difficult' players that need to be coached up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1