The QB The Jets Should Draft In 2023

I have been speaking about this in a few threads, but I think now this needs a thread of its own. 

The QB spot for the Jets is EVERYTHING now.  

Here is the QB the Jets should draft in 2023.  Stanford's Tanner McKee.

Since, Stroud, Young and Levis will all be gone by pick 7, and I don't expect the Jets brass to trade up, McKee makes the most sense.

They can trade down lower in the first round, garner some extra picks to shore up other positions and take McKee who will probably be available at the bottom of round one.

McKee has very good size, a strong arm and excellent intangibles,  Best of all he would be an ideal for LeFleur's system.  McKee is outstanding with timing and ball placement.  Although not a running QB by any stretch of the imagination, he has clean footwork and can negotiate the pocket under pressure.   I'd describe him as the ideal QB to run a west coast offense like LeFleur's. 

Get acquainted with Stanford's Tanner McKee

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tanner-McKee-QB-Stanford

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tanner-mckee-qb-stanford-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tanner-mckee-4aaa60a3-9f50-488b-b12f-b5dc3b2da216/

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/tannermckee

This is *MY* first round draft pick for the Jets after a trade down.  If my guess is correct, other people will learn what I already know and the Jets may not even want to chance trading out of 13th and just take him there.  

Is JD listening ???

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Our immediate future at QB does not reside in the draft.

22 years of dreaming about draft QB's for our rookie coaches, 22 years of mostly abject failure.

Over that span not a single attempt to really address the position with an established, veteran, already-proven-levels-of-performance Veteran QB.

JAG's, yes.  One year laughable experiments, sure.  But not one time trying to REALLY fill the role via a Free Agent/Trade for a Veteran with an actual resume at the Pro level.

It's time to stop going all or nothing, and time to fill the job with a Vet.  Not a McCown or a Fitz, a real Vet with a future, but a history of actual production and performance.

If we draft one, do it in the mid-rounds for several years from now.  

Or, we can keep engaging in the insanity of doing the same thing over and over, draft another young bust high in the draft, rush him to start since we've got nothing else, then fire Saleh at end of 23' when he disappoints because of the QB, and have this new drafted QB be "not the new Coach's guy" in 2024, repeating the cycle all over again...

Nothing wrong with drafting QB's so long as you draft the right one.  I was against the Wilson pick and called him a DO NOT DRAFT.

Now, I'm showing you the right one.

Opportunity is knocking.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I doubt if any rookie qb is going to get this team into the playoffs.  He’d have to be the reincarnation of joe willie and even he didn’t start from day one. I think they do need to draft a qb but they don’t have the luxury of using a first rounder, yet.

Hard to know for sure how long it will take McKee to be able to get on the field in the pro game.  It may be right away, after a few games or after an entire season.

I am considering sustained success for years.  Not one a one and done playoff run.

McKee is a golden opportunity, 

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Nothing wrong with drafting QB's so long as you draft the right one.  I was against the Wilson pick and called him a DO NOT DRAFT.

Now, I'm showing you the right one.

Opportunity is knocking.

I was against drafting Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Darnold and Wilson, and I'm telling you, it's time to go with a Veteran.

While past regimes failure don't inform current regime decisions, this GM has already failed spectacularly once.

The safer, smarter route is not some dumbass kid again, but a proven Pro.

-----------------------------------

Also, in what Universe does THIS sound like a good idea for us in the first round?

McKee has the arm to make nearly all of the throws, and he has enough ability in the pocket to set a foundation for his growth. But before he can reach his ceiling as a potential starter, he needs to further refine his mechanics, and turn his mental game from a gray area to a strength — because he doesn’t have the athleticism to compensate.

Early on, McKee projects as a solid backup. And in 2-3 years, he could go on to become a solid spot-starter and potentially an above-average starter at his maximum ceiling. But as a pocket passer without elite processing ability, he’ll be relatively reliant on his surroundings and coaching to reach that ceiling.

Not a great arm, not a great brain, not an athlete at all, and reliant on great coaching and not close to ready to start in the NFL for several years?  Genius!

• Post of the Week 1

Really not looking for a QB anywhere near the first 3 rounds, tbh.  You want to take a kid like Clayton Tune in the 5th or something I can live with that, but this overall thesis of this draft needs to be strengthening the OL, and ideally walking away with either a quality LB or FS, or both.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I was against drafting Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Darnold and Wilson, and I'm telling you, it's time to go with a Veteran.

While past regimes failure don't inform current regime decisions, this GM has already failed spectacularly once.

Please watch a few games that McKee played in or at least watch 20 minutes of highlights.  After that, explain why you would reject my assessment and recommendation. 

I see a lot of Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning in his game.  

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree on a lot but am worried seeing this approach backfire on the Colts and Broncos (we'll see on the Browns).

A few questions:

1. Do you believe this team can win with an average to above average starting vet (not elite)?

2. How do you acquire your vet QB?  It goes without saying an elite vet would need to come via a trade ..

3. Who are a couple names you're looking at?  For example, a good article I read argued that Carr & Jimmy G are both in the very good range (10-15).  Same with Cousins who is not available.  I'm not sure who would be in the average range that is available.

4. How about addign both a vet and drafting a high floor w/ potential QB in round 2 or 3?  

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Please watch a few games that McKee played in or at least watch 20 minutes of highlights.  After that, explain why you would reject my assessment and recommendation. 

Already did, read the post again (I added some stuff, might have crossed as you were replying).

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

From https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tanner-mckee-qb-stanford-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

McKee has the arm to make nearly all of the throws, and he has enough ability in the pocket to set a foundation for his growth. But before he can reach his ceiling as a potential starter, he needs to further refine his mechanics, and turn his mental game from a gray area to a strength — because he doesn’t have the athleticism to compensate.

Early on, McKee projects as a solid backup. And in 2-3 years, he could go on to become a solid spot-starter and potentially an above-average starter at his maximum ceiling. But as a pocket passer without elite processing ability, he’ll be relatively reliant on his surroundings and coaching to reach that ceiling.

That is not the description of a future Peyton Manning, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Agree on a lot but am worried seeing this approach backfire on the Colts and Broncos (we'll see on the Browns).

A few questions:

1. Do you believe this team can win with an average to above average starting vet (not elite)?

A sure-thing Super Bowl?  Probably not.

Get to the playoffs and then get to them again?  Yes, absolutely.

2. How do you acquire your vet QB?  It goes without saying an elite vet would need to come via a trade ..

That, and which veteran to get, will be the topic of our offseason before 2023.

3. Who are a couple names you're looking at?  For example, a good article I read argued that Carr & Jimmy G are both in the very good range (10-15).  Same with Cousins who is not available.  I'm not sure who would be in the average range that is available.

Carr, Minshew, Mayfield are all options I'd consider.  There are several others other posters like.

Just not Tom Brady, please, dear god please no.....

4. How about addign both a vet and drafting a high floor w/ potential QB in round 2 or 3?  

100% fine.  Vet starts the next few years, the mid-rounder (more like 3rd-4th IMO) sits and learns, probably (the way things look to be going) with Zach as the #2 for at least a year as well....

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I doubt if any rookie qb is going to get this team into the playoffs.  He’d have to be the reincarnation of joe willie and even he didn’t start from day one. I think they do need to draft a qb but they don’t have the luxury of using a first rounder, yet.

Or he could just be Brock Purdy 

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Already did, read the post again (I added some stuff, might have crossed as you were replying).

From https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tanner-mckee-qb-stanford-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

That is not the description of a future Peyton Manning, lol.

I don't agree at all.  He is a very good passer.  This is a poor take from this guy.  Let's not worry so much about getting another running back.  Breece Hall should be back on site by game 4 or so. The QB throws the ball.  

Other pundits are describing him with more praise that the reviewer you cited, 

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/where-tanner-mckee-ranks-among-nfl-the-top-quarterbacks-in-the-2023-nfl-draft-class#:~:text=Their draft expert Mike Renner,Will Levis%2C and CJ Stroud.

• Sympathy 1

We're taking a prospect with a 4th or later round grade from almost all outlets with a backend first..... you guys are getting really desperate.

You want this mope in the 3rd fine reach there. I'll still hate it but at least we wouldn't be burning a top 50 pick.

• Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

23 year old Mormon who spent two years in Brazil and opted out of Sunday practices in deference to his faith. Threw for 13 touchdowns, 8 INTs for a 3-9 Stanford team. 

All true.  And so is his ability to pass the ball along with outstanding intangibles.  Darn frustrating.  People here are still clinging to Wilson who most of us knew was a bad pick, and now a good prospect is well within reach and is being rejected.  Unreal.  

27 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I actually read a few stories on him before last season I think it was but gist of the stories were that the coaches were really high on him and they thought he will make it to NFL and do well.

I never followed up though and watched him.

Was planning to though.

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Other pundits are describing him with more praise that the reviewer you cited,

That you yourself cited.  It was from one of your own OP links, lol.

And you want this guy at #13 overall?

In the real world, this kid may not even get drafted by the time the draft rolls around, and if he does it's likely in the mid-to-late rounds.  He's no future Peyton Manning type prospect.

If you were advocating for him in like, the 5th, I could be onboard.  At #13 overall (or wherever we land), I can only lol.

2 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

We're taking a prospect with a 4th or later round grade from almost all outlets with a backend first..... you guys are getting really desperate.

You want this mope in the 3rd fine reach there. I'll still hate it but at least we wouldn't be burning a top 50 pick.

The ones giving him a 4th round grade are just playing follow the leader.  Here, you are getting a fresh unadulterated take.  

If nothing else, it is going to be enjoyable bringing these posts up over the next two seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That you yourself cited.  It was from one of your own OP links, lol.

And you want this guy at #13 overall?

In the real world, this kid may not even get drafted by the time the draft rolls around, and if he does it's likely in the mid-to-late rounds.  He's no future Peyton Manning type prospect.

If you were advocating for him in like, the 5th, I could be onboard.  At #13 overall (or wherever we land), I can only lol.

Then, we shall see... 

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

All true.  And so is his ability to pass the ball along with outstanding intangibles.  Darn frustrating.  People here are still clinging to Wilson who most of us knew was a bad pick, and now a good prospect is well within reach and is being rejected.  Unreal.  

I know McKee is getting some buzz, but that’s mostly because this QB class is a dumpster fire. The Jets can’t burn a pick on him because he, like Zach, is a west coast-y herb milquetoast from a bad program. The locker room will chew him up and spit him out. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

i don't agree at all.  Late first round early second and only because he does not run the ball up and down the field. 

Well I saw nothing impressive about him in that game. I’d bet he completed well under 60% of his passes 

We’ll see where he’s drafted, but I’d be shocked if he slid into R1 or even early R2.

15 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The ones giving him a 4th round grade are just playing follow the leader.  Here, you are getting a fresh unadulterated take.  

If nothing else, it is going to be enjoyable bringing these posts up over the next two seasons.

Unlikely but enjoy the victory lap if you're right.

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

Well I saw nothing impressive about him in that game. I’d bet he completed well under 60% of his passes 

We’ll see where he’s drafted, but I’d be shocked if he slid into R1 or even early R2.

Yep.  Nothing to do but wait and see. 

• Upvote 1