Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I scan the Packers forums once in a while.  Then I see they are still clamoring for the team to start talking to SF if the Jets don't give up their 2023 1st round pick.  The fact that SF doesn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick (in fact, their highest pick in 2023 is 99) doesn't faze them.  This really has turned into quite a spotlight on the inability of humans to process basic facts.

Its turned very spiteful on both sides.... Packers fans are happy not to get anything for Rodgers if they don't get #13 ... It seems that they don't care, because Jets NEED Rodgers so they will pay anything or nothing. So strange... They don't realize that if Rodgers makes it difficult like Favre and shows up to camp its just going to get worse... 

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

Packers and Jets need to be placed by Goodell in a room and the Jets need to give the Packers their final best offer.   GB can open up to other teams and if there's no other interest take the Jets offer..   Time to move on already...

I mean, then go ahead and let him talk to other teams. There’s nothing stopping Green Bay from doing that. If that’s what you feel needs to be done to push the Jets, do it.

I’m relatively positive the Jets are the only team willing to take Rodgers on

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm starting to allow for the possibility that this deal doesn't happen.  I believe, with no facts to back it up, that JD will not part with #13 in any scenario (unless it's a swap to #15 possibly).  Everything we've seen from him over 3 years suggests he does not overpay in trades by any significant amount, and he does not seem to panic.  I'm also starting to believe that Mark Murphy has made this a hill he wants to die on, probably knowing he has job security, and willing to let both teams lose in order not to look like he caved.  This has gone on long enough now, that any deal will create a storm of finger-pointing and judgment that neither team wants to be on the wrong end of.  If, as I am inclined to believe, GB moved the goalposts, JD is not the type of GM who will overpay to bail them out of a problem of their own making.  

Would GB be willing to actually go as far as entering TC with Rodgers on the roster?  Hard to believe a few weeks ago, but maybe their definition of winning is different from mine.  

So what happens if no deal?

I think the Jets would pick up a best-available veteran and go into TC with a competition where Zach gets a chance to show enough improvement under the new coaches and system to get the ball.  Yes, that will offend the fans (which the team should honestly give no sh-ts about), and maybe some of the players will be disappointed, but we go in with an incredibly talented roster around whoever the QB is.  Even league-average play from that position is playoff-contending.  If not, we'll do the QB reset next year but with a longer window in mind.  Maybe it's a vet like Cousins, or maybe a draft pick.  Way too early to even guess.

In any case, as excited as I was and am for Rogers to come here, I'm not of the opinion that we should overpay just because GB wants us to.  Those of you repeating "pay the 1st round pick and more because..." haven't considered, what if it's 2 first round picks.  Or 3.  There appears to be no line you wouldn't walk to in order to be right.  But there is a line, and JD is the only voice that matters in determining that.  

I'm also not inclined to call for JDs head if the deal doesn't happen because *we don't know what happened*.  Sometimes good things come from bad things.  It's time to decide if you are a fan of the team, or just in it for the 'woe is me' and the trolling.  The absolutism of some posters that the Jets had to be in the wrong, and that everyone should be fired over this is baffling to me.  If you can't root for the team without Rodgers, then....life choices.

Folks don't know JD and this FO will end up embarrassing folks and that includes Green Bay if they do something stupid. 

Because no team left is going to come in bidding for Rogers and offering more than the Jets! 

And GB is crazy if they think that Rogers is going to fall on his sword and retire and forego over $65 Million Dollars after they screwed him over!

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I scan the Packers forums once in a while.  Then I see they are still clamoring for the team to start talking to SF if the Jets don't give up their 2023 1st round pick.  The fact that SF doesn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick (in fact, their highest pick in 2023 is 99) doesn't faze them.  This really has turned into quite a spotlight on the inability of humans to process basic facts.

They are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. It’s bizarre. I’ve seen fans go as far to say they would trade him to NE for a 4th just to spite the Jets lol

• More Ugh 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

Its turned very spiteful on both sides.... Packers fans are happy not to get anything for Rodgers if they don't get #13 ... It seems that they don't care, because Jets NEED Rodgers so they will pay anything or nothing. So strange... They don't realize that if Rodgers makes it difficult like Favre and shows up to camp its just going to get worse... 

Like us, they seem split.  Some are still demanding they get a 1st this year plus more picks plus Corey Davis.  Some have said they would rather have Jermaine Johnson.  Living in their own fantasy land.  Others do seem to recognize that a 2nd from the Jets would be better than nothing plus the distraction of having a $60M lump of clay on their bench.  It's just that the ones who are in fantasy land are so far off the reservation that you have to wonder about the possible health risks of eating too much cheese.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Not a good look... means that this isn't getting done till just before draft day.

Hard to believe we’re still a month away lol. His comment about “ not where we need to be “ kinda almost sounds like he  has asked for something in return besides Rodgers, either a player or GB picks. This could be a package with multiple assets on both sides. 

I hope Albert breer or someone else puts out a piece on what went down after it all settles out. 

it definitely feels like a draft day trade at this point 

Well the Jets are where they are because they never had a legit plan B in this situation.  If you are not prepared to act on plan B then you never had that plan.

A harsh lesson that should not have had to be learned by pros, do not act like you have made a deal before you actually make a deal.  Do not assume the other side in a negotiation is going to play nice just because they have a lot of the line.

Once the Packers very easily found out that Rodgers was plan A, B, C and D for the Jets they were able to start being difficult.

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 3

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well the Jets are where they are because they never had a legit plan B in this situation.  If you are not prepared to act on plan B then you never had that plan.

A harsh lesson that should not have had to be learned by pros, do not act like you have made a deal before you actually make a deal.  Do not assume the other side in a negotiation is going to play nice just because they have a lot of the line.

Once the Packers very easily found out that Rodgers was plan A, B, C and D for the Jets they were able to start being difficult.

So we should fire Douglas and Saleh.  Got it.  Which brings up the question...what's your plan B?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

“Harsh lesson”, lol.  Yet there’s not one ounce of panic even being hinted at on 1 Jets Drive.

Nice narrative though.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

OMG, seriously your negative slant on everything is getting old. Maybe the Jets had a plan B but once Rodgers decided he wants to play for the Jets they let plan B go... You don't know and you are speculating. 

GB does seem to have shifted the goal posts but that is kinda messed up and will put a bad name on future trades with Guty if it doesn't resolve soon. Maybe in the end GB 'wins' the trade but at the same time sullies his name by negotiating in bad faith and other GMs will take notice.

53 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

For all those saying GB didn't move the goalposts. Followed by going out of his way to say Jets wouldn't negotiate in bad faith...

To me these are fairly strong statements. Seems like the rumors of there being a basic agreement in place and then GB changing it are true. Also seems that JD has let GB know what they will give and are not really moving on it

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So we should fire Douglas and Saleh.  Got it.  Which brings up the question...what's your plan B?

I've told my plan B many many times now.  The time for plan B is far past and now we have to twist in the wind until some time limit forces the packers hand one way or the other.

A deal will get done, the Jets made it a much more difficult one than it should have been because they bungled it.

Also please do not put words in my mouth I never said a word about the GM or Coaches job status.

Even the grand plan B's that that people were tossing out there as myself and other have said, are totally not realistic.  Douglas kaiboshed the lamar narrative, Stafford just got signed to an extension.

We have Rodgers and that is it.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“Harsh lesson”, lol.  Yet there’s not one ounce of panic even being hinted at on 1 Jets Drive.

Nice narrative though.  

Is it a good thing that the Jets are trotting their coach out to say wilson is #2, the gm saying they are not in on lamar and the jets still expecting to get a good deal in a trade they assumed they would make long ago?

You guys actually think this is a quality work getting a vet QB for the jets?

A deal will get done, packers will get less than they want the jets will pay more than they want.

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Is it a good thing that the Jets are trotting their coach out to say wilson is #2, the gm saying they are not in on lamar and the jets still expecting to get a good deal in a trade they assumed they would make long ago?

You guys actually think this is a quality work getting a vet QB for the jets?

A deal will get done, packers will get less than they want the jets will pay more than they want.

winning independence day GIF by IFC

22 minutes ago, Larz said:

Hard to believe we’re still a month away lol. His comment about “ not where we need to be “ kinda almost sounds like he  has asked for something in return besides Rodgers, either a player or GB picks. This could be a package with multiple assets on both sides. 

I hope Albert breer or someone else puts out a piece on what went down after it all settles out. 

it definitely feels like a draft day trade at this point 

This could drag on til August.

Murphy and “Gutey” seem like a—wipes

It probably gets done, but can’t assume anything until it happens

Douglas will look like an absolute fool if the deal isn’t done and Love tears his ACL in OTAs

GB would instantaneously start an apology tour with AR, stage the reconciliation, and Jets are screwed

GB is like the Steelers.  Too proud of a franchise to ever embrace a full fledged tank / “rebuild”.

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Douglas will look like an absolute fool if the deal isn’t done and Love tears his ACL in OTAs

GB would instantaneously start an apology tour with AR, stage the reconciliation, and Jets are screwed

GB is like the Steelers.  Too proud of a franchise to ever embrace a full fledged tank / “rebuild”.

Doubtful 

• Upvote 1

Broken thumb, ribs, covid toe - life is catching up to Aaron Rodgers
Just because he hasn't missed a start since 2017 doesn't mean he's going to play forever
Vinny T, Favre, we've seen this movie before fellas 
What movie is that? Miserable ******* Jets fan?

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If that happens, the Jets fold up shop and we win 3 or 4 games and it's a normal Jets season of misery for the fans...carry on.

48 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He was healthy enough to beat Rodgers two years in a row in the NFC championship game.  

um, no

rodgers lost to tom brady/tampa one year.  and the year he lost to SF, rodgers was 31/39, 326 yards, 2 TDs and 2 Ints while jimmy g was 6/8 for 77 yards (yes, i had to double check those stats).  but yeah, damn rodgers couldn't stop raheem mostert from rushing for 220 yards and 4 TDs...

• Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've told my plan B many many times now.  The time for plan B is far past and now we have to twist in the wind until some time limit forces the packers hand one way or the other.

A deal will get done, the Jets made it a much more difficult one than it should have been because they bungled it.

Also please do not put words in my mouth I never said a word about the GM or Coaches job status.

Even the grand plan B's that that people were tossing out there as myself and other have said, are totally not realistic.  Douglas kaiboshed the lamar narrative, Stafford just got signed to an extension.

We have Rodgers and that is it.

great, your plan B would have been gardner minshew entering 2023 as the starting QB of the jets (carr signed before the jets were allowed to even talk to rodgers who was still on his darkness retreat)

4 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

um, no

rodgers lost to tom brady/tampa one year.  and the year he lost to SF, rodgers was 31/39, 326 yards, 2 TDs and 2 Ints while jimmy g was 6/8 for 77 yards (yes, i had to double check those stats).  but yeah, damn rodgers couldn't stop raheem mostert from rushing for 220 yards and 4 TDs...

Imagine that Tampa game if they had Tee Higgins instead of Jordan Love from round 1 that year.  That was when the Packers lost him and I thought it then, when I had no dog in the fight.  They were primed for a run and the Packers bailed in April.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

what do you mean GB can open it up to other teams?  no one has stopped GB from talking with other teams.  rodgers is their player under contract.  they have the ability to trade him to any team they want.  now obviously a potential acquiring team would like to know basic stuff, like, would rodgers actually want to play for that team.

GB has had plenty of time to find alternative suitors for rodgers.  seems the jets are the only game in town.

so let's take your stance.  GB says give us your best offer and we will shop it.  joe d says i will give you a 2023 3rd rounder and a pair of used sneakers.  what's GB's next move???

I’d call hoodie and trade him for a dirty sweatshirt 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Imagine that Tampa game if they had Tee Higgins instead of Jordan Love from round 1 that year.  That was when the Packers lost him and I thought it then, when I had no dog in the fight.  They were primed for a run and the Packers bailed in April.

We debate that and I could go either way.  I was listening to PFT from prior to that draft and they were saying he was top 10 talent.   We won’t know the answer till he plays

Just now, ptisme said:

We debate that and I could go either way.  I was listening to PFT from prior to that draft and they were saying he was top 10 talent.   We won’t know the answer till he plays

I will say on draft night I was pissed

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

um, no

Zero first half points for Green Bay.  They were blown out.  All garbage time stats.  Rodgers was awful.  He was awful in the 2021 game against SF, they scored 10 points.   

He actually outplayed Brady but died with a chance to win the game.   I believe they had a first and goal from the 8 three incomplete passa and kicked a FG on 4th down and never got the ball back.

He was also outplayed by Eli in Green Bay.   He hasn't been great with the game on the line for the best player in Packer history.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We will agree to disagree on the 1st one.

As for the time issue.  For me I want to know who our QB is asap, I want him to be in the building, working on being ready for next year.  All we heard about last year re the packers bad start was rodgers not being familiar with his new wrs.

It is ideal if things get resolved earlier than later but not end of the world.  If things happen to not get resolved it is a total disaster.

is he allowed to work with the WR at the facility over the offseason?  i didn't think so.

my guess is the broken thumb also played a part.

we will never know about Carr.  We weren't even mentioned as looking into a trade for him with the raiders.  

i will start worrying (a bit) if this isn't resolved by the second day of the draft.

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is precisely why I said the GB management team is clueless and has let this get out of hand with their fan base.

In addition, while Rogers is at best a polarizing figure for many this is literally hurting the GB brand, (i) it appears that they reneging on the deal that was struck between them and the Jets and  (ii) they are treating arguably the most important player in franchise history like crap.

Very Interesting........

8 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

great, your plan B would have been gardner minshew entering 2023 as the starting QB of the jets (carr signed before the jets were allowed to even talk to rodgers who was still on his darkness retreat)

People keep talking for me.  I've stated my plan A B C numerous times.  None of them include Garner minshew.

The Jets let the packers and Rodger dawdle for as long as they wanted, other plans went out the window and now everyone is blaming the packers for the jets having only one plan.

Zero first half points for Green Bay.  They were blown out.  All garbage time stats.  Rodgers was awful.  He was awful in the 2021 game against SF, they scored 10 points.   
He actually outplayed Brady but died with a chance to win the game.   I believe they had a first and goal from the 8 three incomplete passa and kicked a FG on 4th down and never got the ball back.
He was also outplayed by Eli in Green Bay.   He hasn't been great with the game on the line for the best player in Packer history.  
21 4th quarter comebacks and 31 game winning drives in his career. Yeah, he sucks