Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

Cant find the free agency thread. So this is the next best spot.

Here’s a list of remaining free agency that the Jets should look into that wont count towards the compensatory formula.

- Leonard Floyd Edge

- Frank Clark Edge

- Calais Campbell iDL (confirmed interest)

- JJ Watt iDL

- Ezekial Elliot RB (confirmed interest)

- Leonard Fournette RB

- Odell Beckham Jr WR (confirmed interest)

- Ben Jones C (confirmed interest)

Resigning: Kwon Alexander

Possible trade targets: Deforest Buckner iDL, Deandre Hopkins WR

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

wait, make up your mind.  the Zach pick was from Woody to keep the Jetblue sponsorship alive according to you.

can't blame JD for that in that scenario.

But you will.

I have two theories on Zach

either the Jets elevated this player due to marketing reasons (and yes JD would be receiving orders from ownership on that ) 

or JD just can't evaluate QBs 

I'm not sure which one is true but neither is a good outcome 

19 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Why pay more than you have to?

The Packers have zero alternatives.

And the more premium draft capital you keep in '23 and '24, the better chance you have of actually winning it all in '23 and '24 with AR.

So you decided that we paid too much ? Based upon what ?

20 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I keep reading people say GB reneged on a deal, or moved goal posts. Can someone show me when this was actually reported?

Why is it necessary to say something we have no proof ever happened and talk about it as if it’s fact?

Perhaps you were right after all!

It looks like maybe the Jets changed the deal based on Rogers' statements surrounding retirement!

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Give Bit a break. The Jets have broken him. He used to be one of the more effusively positive fans on this board. This team can do it to you.

It would at least be nice if he was consistent with the things he criticizes.  He rarely argues in good faith.  

I agree with him that Woody is among the worst owners in pro sports.  Yet I still find myself rolling my eyes at some of the novel sh*t Bit invents to whine about.  And then he acts like some martyr when people point out the flaws in his terrible logic/arguments.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And then he acts like some martyr when people point out the flaws in his terrible logic/arguments.  

truth is I don't really care much about the logic 

I care more about the prediction and being right or wrong

For example, I said Zach sucked as a draft pick and people bashed "the logic"

But this isn't AP Calculus I don't really have to show my work. The dude in fact sucked

Aaron Rodgers is old, washed and 1 foot in retirement. He's not really that good of a player anymore. He's certainly not worth 50 mil per 

I don't have to prove The Logic. I'm staking my claim and we will see how it all ends up 

• Upvote 1

fwiw Tanny got Favre for a better price than what is being reported this deal is looking like ...
He got it in August after Favre showed up to Packer camp. I'm sure JD could get a similar deal if he waits that long but people here would have a stroke.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

But this isn't AP Calculus I don't really have to show my work. The dude in fact sucked

Aaron Rodgers is old, washed and 1 foot in retirement. He's not really that good of a player anymore. He's certainly not worth 50 mil per 

I don't have to prove The Logic. I'm staking my claim and we will see how it all ends up 

I’ve quite enjoyed bit’s transition from being Brandt to one of the nihilists. It’s a shame the rest of you take it too seriously. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

You say that now but check back in 2025 

I thought JD's whole thing was building a program, and doing things the right way 

selling it all for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is the opposite of all that 

I've already explained to you how "building the right way" also can mean attracting the right veteran QB.  Like the Rams did with Stafford and the Bucs did to get Brady.  Neither of those QBs go to those spots at an advanced age if they don't think they can win there.  Those 2 franchises steadily built up a quality roster to surround a QB and were THEN able to pluck a QB "off the QB tree".  It's not ideal but it's proven to be a viable "Plan B" when you can't draft a franchise QB of your own.

Finding a franchise QB is really, really difficult.  Short of getting one of those, you have to go the vet route.  If forced to go that route, it's at least nice to be able to bring in a quality QB who wants to win and still can.  A solid consolation prize.

But you'll of course dismiss all of this because you don't care about logic.  Only about ending up right.  

In addition @bitonti, "building the right way" sometimes requires tanking away a year, a strategy you've been firmly against.  Yet 0-16 instead of 2-14 in 2020 would have gotten the Jets Trevor Lawrence as opposed to Zach Wilson, negating us having to get a vet QB in the 1st place.

I argued for tanking at the time along with many here.  You argued against.  Throw that one in your Loss column when you have a sec.

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Said God. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In addition @bitonti, "building the right way" sometimes requires tanking away a year, a strategy you've been firmly against.  Yet 0-16 instead of 2-14 in 2020 would have gotten the Jets Trevor Lawrence as opposed to Zach Wilson, negating us having to get a vet QB in the 1st place.

I argued for tanking at the time along with many here.  You argued against.  Throw that one in your Loss column when you have a sec.

Without getting into the Weeds on whether Trevor Lawrence a southern good ole boy from Knoxville via Clemson would succeed in Sodom, i mean New York...

Player career length is three years. there's no such thing as a 3-year rebuild in the NFL where the roster churn is so high 

it's a scam on the fans - there's no such thing as rebuilding long-term there's only reloading, every year 

34 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Should have hired Doug Pederson, too.

Tanking for Trevor Lawrence was the most patently obvious move to make.

Instead we had to watch Gase, Mann, Darnold and Gore kill off the Jets' future with a meaningless win here in LA.

Then we hear for months from the insufferable blowhards like Orlovsky how ZW was the next Mahomes because of gaudy COVID numbers vs Rockland Community College and some stupid pro day throw against air.

But it is what it is.

Too late now.

we had just picked up the QB of the draft (darnold) from a few years earlier.  

it is what it is

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Without getting into the Weeds on whether Trevor Lawrence a southern good ole boy from Knoxville via Clemson would succeed in Sodom, i mean New York...

Player career length is three years. there's no such thing as a 3-year rebuild in the NFL where the roster churn is so high 

it's a scam on the fans - there's no such thing as rebuilding long-term there's only reloading, every year 

Trevor Lawrence is good.  Zach Wilson is Ryan Leaf.  Your argument is invalid and your anti-tanking approach is wrong.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Like, omg.

BTW, Brady's last pass with the Patriots was a pick-6 in a home loss. He was 42 & just finished the season with his lowest TD total since his 24-TD season in 2006 (not counting his 0 TD, 11-attempt "season" in 2008). 

That was in 2019.

In 2020, on a new team, he threw for 600 more yards, 16 more TDs, and won another Super Bowl ring -- for a team that won 7 games the prior season.

Given logic consistent with your comment - i.e. "how Tom Brady's season ended" - it seems you'd have advised Tampa that signing this old has-been was foolishness.

Tom "Ozempic Face" Brady is such an outlier it's almost not worth discussing

I mean let's just wait until round 6 and find our own Tom Brady, right? 

but if we're talking Tom Brady, that dude always took team-friendly deals, even with Tampa Bay. He was making like 18-20 per with them. Not 50.  

Aaron Rodgers on the other hand always wants every dollar possible, and will also take more money to restructure his poison pill cap hit

that's why GB has to trade him because his contract is a ticking time bomb. 

One which we're all to happy to take  

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

You say that now but check back in 2025 

I thought JD's whole thing was building a program, and doing things the right way 

selling it all for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is the opposite of all that 

the only way to really build a program is to find a legit qb. rodgers gives us what will hopefully be 2 years of legit qb play and also a chance to teach whoever his successor is how to play the position at a high level. whether that be wilson or someone else.........

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet 0-16 instead of 2-14 in 2020 would have gotten the Jets Trevor Lawrence as opposed to Zach Wilson, negating us having to get a vet QB in the 1st place.

200.gifApples and Oranges take on your part.

I still believe the switch from Urban Myers to Doug Peterson & the simplifying of the offense was a great benefit to TL improvement. 

Conversely, the Jets gave Zach a rookie OC who was not a good communicator and had a Napoleon complex. 

Looking forward to see how Rodgers and Hackett can rebuild Zach’s confidence and love of football.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trevor Lawrence is good.  Zach Wilson is Ryan Leaf.  Your argument is invalid and your anti-tanking approach is wrong.

Mike Nugent was a great place kicker in his career - he just wasn't a great place kicker here. 

Yankees fans of a certain age will remember Jeff Weaver.

Some guys are great athletes and are also be lost in NYC

there outcome where the Jets get Trevor, then get Doug Pedersen (a coach they passed on), and Trevor's awesome in New York feels farfetched

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

the only way to really build a program is to find a legit qb. rodgers gives us what will hopefully be 2 years of legit qb play and also a chance to teach whoever his successor is how to play the position at a high level. whether that be wilson or someone else.........

First off Rodgers is a terrible mentor - just awful. there's a huge history of him ******* with the backups 

Even if Zach and Rodgers are "friends" AR doesn't have any interest in helping Zach get better

but as for the rest of it, what if it's one year?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I have two theories on Zach

either the Jets elevated this player due to marketing reasons (and yes JD would be receiving orders from ownership on that ) 

or JD just can't evaluate QBs 

I'm not sure which one is true but neither is a good outcome 

well since you are nuts to think number 1, then it's gonna have to be number 2.

if that's true, then you should be all over getting the Vet QB versus another rookie.

while you have many dumb takes, the idea of getting JG over AR is a valid thought.  I might not agree with it but it's rational thinking.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Mike Nugent was a great place kicker in his career - he just wasn't a great place kicker here. 

Yankees fans of a certain age will remember Jeff Weaver.

Some guys are great athletes and are also be lost in NYC

there outcome where the Jets get Trevor, then get Doug Pedersen (a coach they passed on), and Trevor's awesome in New York feels farfetched

image.gif.feadbb39b7982e9ff377a0c33d318258.gifimage.gif.feadbb39b7982e9ff377a0c33d318258.gif

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I love the face of mental illness

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you should be all over getting the Vet QB versus another rookie.

why is it so hard to believe that a 39-year-old Rodgers is done? 

He's just not that good of a player anymore. Which falls under JD not being able to evaluate QB 

• Upvote 1