Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Like I said, you people are overvaluing this pick. 

and i think you are undervaluing the #13 pick in the draft, especially in comparison to a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd next year.  i will admit i know very little of this year's draft class, but even if there isn't a garrett wilson-like talent at 13, there will be good players, either for the jets, or for joe d to trade down and recoup additional assets.

so to me, speaking from an asset value - the #13 pick this year is worth more than the #42 and a future 2nd which could conditionally change to a 1st (assumedly based on the jets having a good season)

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

Because he's a rube 

And I'm not saying anything about all southerners or all evangelicals or whatever 

This particular person would not thrive in the northeast. 

Reading your quote by the way we seem to agree this arod or bust plan probably isn't going to work 

please elaborate on what you mean by he's a rube.  he was born in knoxville, grew up in a suburb of atlanta, and played at one of the biggest programs in the country, where he was in the national spotlight since his freshman season, appearing in the college playoffs all 3 seasons, winning it his freshman year.  he was probably in the spotlight more than any player in recent football history.

so what specifically about lawrence leads you to believe he wouldn't thrive in the northeast?   what makes him a "rube"?

as to rodgers, it depends on how you define "isn't going to work".  i think he will make the jets competitive and in the mix for the playoffs.  if it's win the super bowl or bust, then yeah, we probably won't win the super bowl.  then again, no other option would have me saying we would be super bowl favorites, short of mahomes suddenly getting traded here.  of any of the reportedly available QBs, i think rodgers gives them the best chance to compete this year and maybe next.  the life-long jets fan in me expects it to flop...because we've been beaten down over our lifetimes (i've been a jets fan since the late 70s/early 80s).  but trading for rodgers would have me feeling more upbeat about a coming jets season than any since the early rex years, and before that the parcells years.

14 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

What... You think the talent is worse then 4 years ago?

I dunno; probably? Who cares? Improving over Maccagnan is the lowest possible bar. The team lost six straight games and missed the playoffs. The quarterback Douglas picked second overall is so terrible he had to fly across the country and beg a 39-year-old not to retire so we could trade for him. He’s been dumping resources into the offensive line since he got here and it still sucks. So yeah, everything is going great

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I’d think Hackett fills the experienced description.  Calling him Rodgers lapdog is pretty silly given what they accomplished together their last 3 seasons together.  

What exactly did they accomplish together?  Lefleur set up the O and called the plays.  Look what Hackett accomplished when he was actually in charge.  

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I dunno; probably? Who cares? Improving over Maccagnan is the lowest possible bar. The team lost six straight games and missed the playoffs. The quarterback Douglas picked second overall is so terrible he had to fly across the country and beg a 39-year-old not to retire so we could trade for him. He’s been dumping resources into the offensive line since he got here and it still sucks. So yeah, everything is going great

The talent is superb.  The coaching is suspect and the locker room was out of control.  

23 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

please elaborate on what you mean by he's a rube.  he was born in knoxville, grew up in a suburb of atlanta, and played at one of the biggest programs in the country, where he was in the national spotlight since his freshman season, appearing in the college playoffs all 3 seasons, winning it his freshman year.  he was probably in the spotlight more than any player in recent football history.

so what specifically about lawrence leads you to believe he wouldn't thrive in the northeast?   what makes him a "rube"?

Cartersville GA maybe geographically close to Atlanta but it's a backward place in American history 

I'm not going to ruin max no politics rules but Google the history of cartersville ga 

And make sure you use the K button 3 times 

Clemson by the way is in the back hills of south Carolina 

And I'm not saying anything in general about people from Georgia or south Carolina. Trevor Lawrence the human is culturally a fit in Jacksonville. He's not a fit in NYC 

I don't think this is that outlandish of a statement 

Could he be great anywhere? Sure it's possible. But the homesick level for a guy like this in new jersey could also be off the charts 

Tim Tebow is a decent comp, personality wise. Guys like this visit NYC and immediately want to leave 

Some guys with southern experience like Joe willy from pa then Alabama thrive in NY. Others find it too cosmopolitan. I just don't think Trevor Lawrence would be happy here. I wouldn't pass on him but it's not like anyone perfect fit by any means 

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Well you’re all alone.  And it’s flat out ridiculous to say your have him as Kirk Cousins mediocre like.  Also to try and make a case he’s ever been mediocre.  He’s a top QB just behind Mahomes, Burrows and maybe Allen.  
The 3 years before last, when he was injured and had 0 weapons he threw for 12.4K yards, 67% comp, 111 TDs, 13 INTs, 109.2 QB rating.  Without choking in big games like Cousins is known for.  You keep telling people that he’s Cousins like.   I’ll stick he’s top 5

It's not 2017 anymore or even 2021 

Aaron rodgers is in a sharp decline 

• More Ugh 1

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The talent is superb.  The coaching is suspect and the locker room was out of control.  

Superb is an awfully big stretch. The QB, OL, pass catcher, DT, LB, and safety are all a mess to one extent or another. I do agree the coaching is a big concern.

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Cartersville GA maybe geographically close to Atlanta but it's a backward place in American history 

I'm not going to ruin max no politics rules but Google the history of cartersville ga 

And I'm not saying anything in general about people from Georgia or south Carolina. Trevor Lawrence the human is culturally a fit in Jacksonville. He's not a fit in NYC 

Could he be great anywhere? Sure it's possible. But the homesick level forget a guy like this in new jersey could also be off the charts 

NYC has settled small town people from around the globe for a couple of centuries.  Most of the people on this board had grandparents or great grand parents who came here with nothing from some of the most back water communities on the planet.  Some with no education or language skills.

The idea that Lawrence with money, fame and a strong support group couldn't find a community in the metro area and thrive is complete speculation and an insult to Lawrence and the almost unlimited communities that surround the NY/NJ area. 

The metro NY area is one of the most culturial diverse regions of the country.  Lots of different people from different backgrounds have been able to carve out a place that works for them and their families in this area and actually thrive.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

NYC has settled small town people from around the globe for a couple of centuries.  Most of the people on this board had grandparents or great grand parents who came here with nothing from some of the most back water communities on the planet.  Some with no education or language skills.

The idea that Lawrence with money, fame and a strong support group couldn't find a community in the metro area and thrive is complete speculation and an insult to Lawrence and the almost unlimited communities that surround the NY/NJ area. 

The metro NY area is one of the most culturial diverse regions of the country.  Lots of different people from different backgrounds have been able to carve out a place that works for them and their families in this area and actually thrive.

Yes that's all true but there are two types of people in this world, people who leave and people who stay 

My people are from Italy there's also a whole nation who didn't go 

Trevor Lawrence doesn’t seem that adventurous tbh. He's a stayer 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yes that's all true but there are two types of people in this world, people who leave and people who stay 

My people are from Italy there's also a whole nation who didn't go 

As a side note, I thought the low opinions of actual Italians in Italy on their Italian-American cousins was pretty funny when I was in Rome last time. 

Suffice to say they don't hold them in terribly high regard, especially and specifically on a culinarily basis, lol.

In fairness, actual Irish people hold "Irish-Americans", most of whom are now 4th or 5th generations way from Ireland, in equally low regard.  I just got back from Dublin, some funny conversation were had on that front, lol.

Seems like a theme, Europeans don't quite understand why so many Americans are so obsessed with where their great, great, great, great grandparents were from, and why American call themselves "X-Americans" when they're really just Americans at that point.

With that said, they're quite happy to take our tourist money, lol, so there is that too.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

As a side note, I thought the low opinions of actual Italians in Italy on their Italian-American cousins was pretty funny when I was in Rome last time. 

Suffice to say they don't hold them in terribly high regard, especially and specifically on a culinarily basis, lol.

Reminds me of that arc in White Lotus Season 2. Hilarious scene when they meet.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Well you’re all alone.  And it’s flat out ridiculous to say your have him as Kirk Cousins mediocre like.  Also to try and make a case he’s ever been mediocre.  He’s a top QB just behind Mahomes, Burrows and maybe Allen.  
The 3 years before last, when he was injured and had 0 weapons he threw for 12.4K yards, 67% comp, 111 TDs, 13 INTs, 109.2 QB rating.  Without choking in big games like Cousins is known for.  You keep telling people that he’s Cousins like.   I’ll stick he’s top 5

Rodgers had zero weapons last year?  That must be the reason we were so quick to sign Lazard.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In fairness, actual Irish people hold "Irish-Americans", most of whom are now 4th or 5th generations way from Ireland, in equally low regard.  I just got back from Dublin, some funny conversation were had on that front, lol.

Seems like a theme, Europeans don't quite understand why so many Americans are so obsessed with where their great, great, great, great grandparents were from, and why American call themselves "X-Americans" when they're really just Americans at that point.

With that said, they're quite happy to take our tourist money, lol, so there is that too.

Side note to your side note one of the reasons I'm such a grumpy fuk these days is that I was recently diagnosed with celiac.

Which means I basically can't eat out or with family or anywhere not my own kitchen. Food used to be a comfort to me. I used to be a huge foodie and yelp elite black and beer drinker now I basically just eat unexciting food by myself. 

Italian Americans food is very important to us it's practically how we communicate and show love. My grandma makes these tri color cookies every Xmas. I can't do anything but sit there and sip a coke 

I can't just go to the ball game and tailgate I have to plan my life out and it's exhausting. No one wants to hear this bullsh*t. And sometimes mistakes happen with the gluten and it's terrible 

So going through that has been very difficult and I no longer gaf about not hurting people feelings. I literally had to mourn who I used to be and become a different person. I used to jolly and happy now I'm a grumpy a$$hole 

All of this is to say something like 15 percent of Italians have celiac and it's supposed to be like heaven over there for people like me. So I really hope to visit Italy one day 

And when people ask "what happened" it's all because of these Italian genetics... they give and they take away... They did a study of people with long term diseases like cancer and celiac was the most stressful besides kidney failure. So I'm ruined as a person and I no longer look at a 7 win team and see an inbound super bowl 

There's no birthday cake. There's no cannoli. There's beans and rice and I root for a last place team. That's reality 

• Sympathy 7

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Side note to your side note one of the reasons I'm such a grumpy fuk these days is that I was recently diagnosed with celiac.

Which means I basically can't eat out or with family or anywhere not my own kitchen. Food used to be a comfort to me. I used to be a huge foodie and yelp elite black and beer drinker now I basically just eat unexciting food by myself. 

As a fellow foodie, I am truly sorry my friend.  That would make me rather grumpy as well, at minimum.  Best wishes to a maximum recovery/treatment for it, maybe one day you can return to the good eat'in club.  

So I really hope to visit Italy one day 

I truly hope you get the opportunity.  Rome and the Amalfi Coast was one of the best trips/times in my life.

My wife was right all along, screw buying "stuff", spend all your money on travel and experiences!  You can't take it with you, after all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

What exactly did they accomplish together?  Lefleur set up the O and called the plays.  Look what Hackett accomplished when he was actually in charge.  

I think you should look at his numbers the 3 years and 2 MVP seasons.  The Jets have had one.  Rodgers credits Hackett for his sucess

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rome and the Amalfi Coast was one of the best trips/times in my life.

Agreed! Absolutely beautiful along the coast and the food was out of this world.

Wife and I are doing the Greek Islands next year for our 25th anniversary. 

Bucket List- Tahiti and an over-water bungalow.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I think you should look at his numbers the 3 years and 2 MVP seasons.  The Jets have had one.  Rodgers credits Hackett for his sucess

Hackett didn't call the plays Lefleur did.  See if Russell Wilson credits Hackett for his success in Seattle.   Rodgers was as good or better without Hackett every being in his zip code in the past.

Crediting Hackett for his success is just another FU to the Packers.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Hackett was the genius behind that GB offense.   We looked bland without him last year.   And terrible in the RZ (one of Hacks jobs was RZ coordinator)

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Italian Americans food is very important to us it's practically how we communicate and show love. My grandma makes these tri color cookies every Xmas. I can't do anything but sit there and sip a coke 

I can't just go to the ball game and tailgate I have to plan my life out and it's exhausting. No one wants to hear this bullsh*t. And sometimes mistakes happen with the gluten and it's terrible 

So going through that has been very difficult and I no longer gaf about not hurting people feelings. I literally had to mourn who I used to be and become a different person. I used to jolly and happy now I'm a grumpy a$$hole 

All of this is to say something like 15 percent of Italians have celiac and it's supposed to be like heaven over there for people like me. So I really hope to visit Italy one day 

And when people ask "what happened" it's all because of these Italian genetics... they give and they take away... They did a study of people with long term diseases like cancer and celiac was the most stressful besides kidney failure. So I'm ruined as a person and I no longer look at a 7 win team and see an inbound super bowl 

There's no birthday cake. There's no cannoli. There's beans and rice and I root for a last place team. That's reality 

VERY sorry to hear this. My wife has Crohn's disease and has an intolerance to gluten and dairy, so I have witnessed what a limited diet can do. This sucks. Hang in there. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed! Absolutely beautiful along the coast and the food was out of this world.

That should be an amazing trip, I wish you the very best of times my friend!  Take pictures!

Here is one from my recent trip to Ireland (just got back actually):

IrishValley.thumb.jpg.0fff20854f8e47912197477a68b7aba9.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Did this in Turks and Caicos and it was nice. Oddly still Prefer staying at a luxurious resort rather than the bungalows. I can only sit on a patio over the ocean for so long. I need to have fun things to do throughout the day on a beach. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Superb is an awfully big stretch. The QB, OL, pass catcher, DT, LB, and safety are all a mess to one extent or another. I do agree the coaching is a big concern.

The biggest issues, by far, have been QB and OL. The QB situation has been a disaster for a very long time, as we are all aware. The OL through the first 6-7 games last year was average before the rampage of injuries. If we can ever figure out how to keep that unit healthy, it's not a bad unit. Still needs attention in the draft (center/tackle). 

DT, LB, and Safety are all addressable with the remaining draft capital/money we have, are not particularly difficult positions to address with mid round picks, and ultimately, are not as important. It's all about getting the QB and suring up the OL, IMO. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Could he be great anywhere? Sure it's possible. But the homesick level for a guy like this in new jersey could also be off the charts 

Tim Tebow is a decent comp, personality wise. Guys like this visit NYC and immediately want to leave 

Some guys with southern experience like Joe willy from pa then Alabama thrive in NY. Others find it too cosmopolitan. I just don't think Trevor Lawrence would be happy here. I wouldn't pass on him but it's not like anyone perfect fit by any means 

phil simms from springfield, ky and moorehead state seemed to do fine in NY

eli manning from n'awlins and ole miss seemed to do fine in NY

richard todd from birmingham, alabama seemed to do fine in NY (culturally at least - he went on to investment banking with bear stearns and JP morgan post-playing career)

and while it may be true (and may not) that lawrence would feel more at home in jacksonville, that doesn't mean that he, the actual person (as opposed to the ghosts of the places he grew up in) is uniquely unsuited to succeed in NY.  he spent 3 years as the cover boy of college football, playing on the biggest of stages.  unless you know something specific about lawrence the person, rather than the wikipedia page of where his high school and college were located, you are most certainly using stereotypes of people from the locations he grew up in to draw your conclusion about he, the person.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That should be an amazing trip, I wish you the very best of times my friend!  Take pictures!

Here is one from my recent trip to Ireland (just got back actually):

IrishValley.thumb.jpg.0fff20854f8e47912197477a68b7aba9.jpg

It actually stopped raining long enough to take a photo? This has been one of the wettest March's here in Ireland in recent times. 

Hope you were able to grab a Guinness, or two, when taking shelter from the rain. 

• Upvote 1