Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

9 hours ago, Tooooon said:

Hey all.  Just checking in to see who has more leverage in this situation.  I’ll hang up and listen.

It’s a sh*tty, annoying stalemate and both sides are annoying af. So over this boring crap. 

7 hours ago, ptisme said:

And if that’s how it’s gone down then it makes sense why gb is digging in its heals 

That would make sense.  

But note the key is not based on the market argument at its core but it does say in effect that the Jets set the market and then tried to change that market based on known facts from the beginning.

This is what GB should be letting out not the other drama stuff IMO….

Also, further in your favor is it has been leaked that people are discussing QBs like Russell Wilson and Matt Stafford as comps to Rogers. The argument goes, look what happened to those trades and it could happen to Rogers as well!

Indeed, with all due respect to those two wonderful QBs neither of those guys are in the same league as Aaron Rogers and hence they are not comparable at all.

Rogers is just special, and should be treated as a comp more with Tom Brady than those two aforementioned QBs.  The Jets full know the difference and should act accordingly……

See those are your arguments my compadre…::::now pay me my money for helping you out! :)  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

That would make sense.  

But note the key is not based on the market argument at its core but it does say in effect that the Jets set the market and then tried to change that market based on know facts from the beginning.

This is what GB should be letting out not the other drama stuff IMO

They not only changed the market but they did off a lie.   He was never 90 percent retired for all the reasons stated a million times.  That comment was calculated to trigger that change in the offer.   Further this was set up so late in the game that there were no other competitors.    It was negotiating in bad faith and explains the question: why would GB let them talk with no deal in place 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ptisme said:

They not only changed the market but they did off a lie.   He was never 90 percent retired for all the reasons stated a million times.  That comment was calculated to trigger that change in the offer.   Further this was set up so late in the game that there were no other competitors.    It was negotiating in bad faith and explains the question: why would GB let them talk with no deal in place 

Hmmmmmm powerful points!

I don’t think the Jets acted as calculated as you think  Rather I think JD understood this but that Woody did not, of course that doesn’t change the reality from your team’s perspective.  However it does explain how it happened.  

And making it more challenging now is the fact that our owner is being encouraged to be tough by the media.  This is something of a distorted lens because most of the media have a hard on for the “Aaron Rogers is difficult narrative”, which is true, but which is just not happening in this instance, and which Green Bay has fed into in this process through their own leaks!

But you still owe me my money! :)  

• Haha 1

Both teams have an incentive to value this years picks. Us for a run at a SB and GB to give Love possibly another weapon to see if he's even good. But we currently hold the picks... so we hold the cards. Difference in all this is we don't HAVE TO get rid of picks this year, we can wait. GB HAS TO trade AR. So while they think they have control... they at the end of the day, have to trade him. They just have this false narrative that another team magically will pop in and outbid us or even that AR who clearly wants to be a Jet, would even accept a trade to another team besides us. Which is never brought up. He told Lazard are very close friend of his to join us bc he's coming, he's working out with him (not with GB players). He'll retire before playing for a team not names the NYJ. GB fans think otherwise... but I think there's no way GBs FO is buying this. I think at this stage they're delaying this so it looks good on the FO part. That they didn't trade a team legend for nothing and rather quickly. They held out to try and get the best offer for him. But deep down they know they're losing this trade value wise.

I do think AR has told the Jets R-E-L-A-X... there's no reason to hurry this. He wasn't going to come to voluntary camp in 3 days likely anyway. Use those 3 valuable picks, he likely just asked if they could try and use at least 2 of them on offense to help him out. We all know we're likely going OT. And we have other needs to use 42 and/or 43 on offense like C, WR, TE.

I think post draft the league does get involved for scheduling purposes. I think that date is May 11th. So 10 days post draft. OTAs then start May 22nd for us. And while GB fans like to think our offer will go up bc future picks are valued less... make no question our offer goes down post draft.

2 things that are always true in negotiations that BIG TIME help us.

1. An asset you have that you knowingly don't want and you have to get rid of, has significant less value.

2. The buyer sets the market... not the seller.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

That would make sense.  

Also, further in your favor is it has been leaked that people are discussing QBs like Russell Wilson and Matt Stafford as comps to Rogers. The argument goes, look what happened to those trades and it could happen to Rogers as well!

Indeed, with all due respect to those two wonderful QBs neither of those guys are in the same league as Aaron Rogers and hence they are not comparable at all.

Rogers is just special, and should be treated as a comp more with Tom Brady than those two aforementioned QBs.  The Jets full know the difference and should act accordingly……

See those are your arguments my compadre…::::now pay me my money for helping you out! :)  

And to add to that Wilson, and the rest of the team were learning a completely new offense.   This offense is something Rodgers won two of the last three MVPs running with lesser talent than the jets

• Thumb Down 1

Hmmmmmm powerful points!

I don’t think the Jets acted as calculated as you think  Rather I think JD understood this but that Woody did not, of course that doesn’t change the reality from your team’s perspective.  However it does explain how it happened.  

And making it more challenging now is the fact that our owner is being encouraged to be tough by the media.  This is something of a distorted lens because most of the media have a hard on for the “Aaron Rogers is difficult narrative”, which is true, but which is just not happening in this instance, and which Green Bay has fed into in this process through their own leaks!

But you still owe me my money! :)  

I’m a broke farm boy from WI.  “You’ll get nothing and like it” lol

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Disagree .. if the Packers hardball themselves out of a reasonable deal (anything above a 4th rounder and a conditional 2024) ... The Jets will look like the grownups that ignored their screaming childs inane tantrum.

The Jets are in essebce buying Greenbay out of a collosal mistake of a contract.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Your last sentence is spot on.   That contract was a massive mistake

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Both teams have an incentive to value this years picks. Us for a run at a SB and GB to give Love possibly another weapon to see if he's even good. But we currently hold the picks... so we hold the cards. Difference in all this is we don't HAVE TO get rid of picks this year, we can wait. GB HAS TO trade AR. So while they think they have control... they at the end of the day, have to trade him. They just have this false narrative that another team magically will pop in and outbid us or even that AR who clearly wants to be a Jet, would even accept a trade to another team besides us. Which is never brought up. He told Lazard are very close friend of his to join us bc he's coming, he's working out with him (not with GB players). He'll retire before playing for a team not names the NYJ. GB fans think otherwise... but I think there's no way GBs FO is buying this. I think at this stage they're delaying this so it looks good on the FO part. That they didn't trade a team legend for nothing and rather quickly. They held out to try and get the best offer for him. But deep down they know they're losing this trade value wise.

I do think AR has told the Jets R-E-L-A-X... there's no reason to hurry this. He wasn't going to come to voluntary camp in 3 days likely anyway. Use those 3 valuable picks, he likely just asked if they could try and use at least 2 of them on offense to help him out. We all know we're likely going OT. And we have other needs to use 42 and/or 43 on offense like C, WR, TE.

I think post draft the league does get involved for scheduling purposes. I think that date is May 11th. So 10 days post draft. OTAs then start May 22nd for us. And while GB fans like to think our offer will go up bc future picks are valued less... make no question our offer goes down post draft.

2 things that are always true in negotiations that BIG TIME help us.

1. An asset you have that you knowingly don't want and you have to get rid of, has significant less value.

2. The buyer sets the market... not the seller.

I think the deal will get done but the jets don’t hold all the cards.   GB does have time on its side.   For instance what If, say, the day before the draft, the packers say: “you have until ur second rd pick to make the trade you agreed upon before we let you travel to Malibu or the trade doesn’t take place until Aug 30 and you can have him for a forth rounder”.   Would the jets risk the chemistry or would they want him in the building working with his team this summer?

1 minute ago, ptisme said:

I think the deal will get done but the jets don’t hold all the cards.   GB does have time on its side.   For instance what If, say, the day before the draft, the packers say: “you have until ur second rd pick to make the trade you agreed upon before we let you travel to Malibu or the trade doesn’t take place until Aug 30 and you can have him for a forth rounder”.   Would the jets risk the chemistry or would they want him in the building working with his team this summer?

Because every single day Rodgers is a Packer, he can get injured and they're screwed. And as it gets closer to the season starting... players ramp up there workouts, so the injury risk heightens.

They also legally can't keep him out of camp. Where it'd be a nightmare for them if he isn't gone by mandatory camps. This trade if not done pre draft/during the draft... will be done in May.

• Upvote 3

That would make sense.  

But note the key is not based on the market argument at its core but it does say in effect that the Jets set the market and then tried to change that market based on known facts from the beginning.

The "comp" for Rodgers is Favre only Rodgers situation to trade for is much worse

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, ptisme said:

The Jets just say NO, and GB will cave WAY before Aug 30

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The Jets just say NO, and GB will cave WAY before Aug 30

honest i couldnt care if rodgers came to NY on Sept 1st.

1. he doesnt need us to get in football shape

2. he knows hackett

3. he can workout with the receivers in his own time over the summer

4. he is aaron rodgers...how bad could he be

5. lets say we start 3-3 because he is "rusty"....i am ok with that if that means keeping our unprotected 2024 1st

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

honest i couldnt care if rodgers came to NY on Sept 1st.

1. he doesnt need us to get in football shape

2. he knows hackett

3. he can workout with the receivers in his own time over the summer

4. he is aaron rodgers...how bad could he be

5. lets say we start 3-3 because he is "rusty"....i am ok with that if that means keeping our unprotected 2024 1st

40 year old rusty Rodgers >>>>> anything we've had at QB since Testaverde had a decent season 68 years ago.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

Guy, let's get a few things straight. Last week it was GB that backed out of the deal and negotiated in bad faith. Stop spouting this as fact, the story changes every day depending on who's writing "the report"

Here's what we've heard. When this first began, every gb fan was convinced they were getting 2x firsts, quinnen and sauce for rodgers. Then it became just #13. Now they've accepted #13 is out and have moved on to next year's 1st. Soon they'll realize next year's 1st was never part of this. This is all gb media/ leaks trying to rile people up to win a PR war. None of this has been real. 

Finally, your point about holding him to August 30th is idiotic and you know it. So he's gonna show up to training camp and the media is gonna ask every player there, every day, "who do you prefer/want". On top of that, GB is gonna risk him getting hurt and having to pay him 60M and getting nothing back?

Let's establish 1 fact, shall we? The day before training camp starts is the final deadline. Enough with this crap that gb can sit on him or keep him out of spite. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

That would make sense.  

Not even close.  When those teams traded for Stafford & Wilson they knew they were getting multiple years.  With Rodgers we are getting 2 years tops.  Take your 2cnd round pick and move on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

my speculation...i think GB wants to get it done before Lefleur has to stand in front of his team on Monday and explain to them who the starter is. would not be shocked if its this weekend.

Green Bay's offseason program will begin on Monday, April 17, and conclude in mid-June.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

and what if joe tells the packers to get bent, calls the rams or titans and picks up stafford or tannehill for cheap, and the packers now owe rodgers $60 million for the 2023 season

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, choon328 said:

If the Packers cut Rodgers post June 1st they'll take on a $75 million dead cap hit this year. That's an extra $43 million in dead money that would get accelerated to the cap immediately. That would put them $22 million OVER the cap. They wouldn't have enough money for their draft picks. They would have to cut 4 or 5 veteran starters just to get back under the cap. 

They have NO option but to trade him. Every other option is suicide for their franchise. That's why the Jets won't blink, they know the Packers have only one option and that's to trade him. 

I am not a capologist. 

However, on Sportstrac and OTC, the scenario you outlined only happens if they cut him pre-6/1.  Cutting him post 6/1, still hurts, but it allows the Packers to defer part of the hit to next year.  You are right they would have to do some roster work, but they have two players playing on their fifth-year option.  That would solve 85% of the cap hit in cutting Aaron.  They can trade them for picks.  This would be a nuclear option.  No doubt, but it is an option.

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

How does it hurt?  Maybe when mini-camp starts, every day?  Now, before the draft? What the **** is he going to learn?  He has worked with Hackett and probably has the play book.  The Packers are going to cut him when the season starts?  Works for me.  I will keep the 2nd plus for a few weeks of acclimation.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

It is not the 'reps' he would be missing out at OTAs or even training camp.  I agree he has enough familiarity with Lazar and Hatchett to make it work.  However, he would want TC reps with Wilson to become familiar with each other, but that is not really my point.

The hurts come from having to accommodate his cap hit.    The Jets have to wait.  There is a 15+M charge they have to account for.  According to the cap tracker sites, they have over 9 million available.  They need to save 2-3M for draft picks.  My point, the Jets cannot really move forward until they trade for him.  The Jets have some contracts that can restructure/extend/cut.  It is doable, but it is waiting on Aaron and the Packers.   

36 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I am not a capologist. 

However, on Sportstrac and OTC, the scenario you outlined only happens if they cut him pre-6/1.  Cutting him post 6/1, still hurts, but it allows the Packers to defer part of the hit to next year.  You are right they would have to do some roster work, but they have two players playing on their fifth-year option.  That would solve 85% of the cap hit in cutting Aaron.  They can trade them for picks.  This would be a nuclear option.  No doubt, but it is an option.

It is not the 'reps' he would be missing out at OTAs or even training camp.  I agree he has enough familiarity with Lazar and Hatchett to make it work.  However, he would want TC reps with Wilson to become familiar with each other, but that is not really my point.

The hurts come from having to accommodate his cap hit.    The Jets have to wait.  There is a 15+M charge they have to account for.  According to the cap tracker sites, they have over 9 million available.  They need to save 2-3M for draft picks.  My point, the Jets cannot really move forward until they trade for him.  The Jets have some contracts that can restructure/extend/cut.  It is doable, but it is waiting on Aaron and the Packers.   

Right.  We are waiting for Rodgers.  That is worth a 2nd this year and something  - maybe another next.  I might even be willing to swap 1sts this year on top.  OTOH, it is not OMG WE HAVE TO DO THIS RIGHT NOW! YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT!  Honestly, **** em.  I will take my chances.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Because every single day Rodgers is a Packer, he can get injured and they're screwed. And as it gets closer to the season starting... players ramp up there workouts, so the injury risk heightens.

They also legally can't keep him out of camp. Where it'd be a nightmare for them if he isn't gone by mandatory camps. This trade if not done pre draft/during the draft... will be done in May.

All good points re risks.  It’s too bad the original agreement couldn’t have just been executed to avoid all this

2 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

and what if joe tells the packers to get bent, calls the rams or titans and picks up stafford or tannehill for cheap, and the packers now owe rodgers $60 million for the 2023 season

I’d be careful about doing that if I was the packers unless I knew of a team I could trade with.  

58 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Right.  We are waiting for Rodgers.  That is worth a 2nd this year and something  - maybe another next.  I might even be willing to swap 1sts this year on top.  OTOH, it is not OMG WE HAVE TO DO THIS RIGHT NOW! YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT!  Honestly, **** em.  I will take my chances.

I do not disagree.

17 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I’d be careful about doing that if I was the packers unless I knew of a team I could trade with.  

and therein lies the dilemma.

there doesn't appear to be another team out there willing to trade for rodgers. 

now maybe the packers could find a taker who will offer less than the jets seemingly are willing to offer.  but not sure how that is a "win" for the packers, to get less from someone else (or take on more of rodgers salary to make him palatable to another team), then they can get from the jets

4 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

now maybe the packers could find a taker who will offer less than the jets seemingly are willing to offer.  but not sure how that is a "win" for the packers, to get less from someone else (or take on more of rodgers salary to make him palatable to another team), then they can get from the jets

and that team trades him straight to the Jets for a 3rd or one of this year's 2nds and makes out while the Packers look stupid?  That is why the Jets deal for Favre was so messy and cheap.  Everybody knew he was going to the Vikings.  The Packers had to prevent that.

11 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

You would be taking far less if it was late in the game from another team.   You’d just be getting out from under the contract and walking away.  It’s not a win.   It would be something you’d do IF(notice I used the word if) you thought the other team negotiated in bad faith

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

and that team trades him straight to the Jets for a 3rd or one of this year's 2nds and makes out while the Packers look stupid?  That is why the Jets deal for Favre was so messy and cheap.  Everybody knew he was going to the Vikings.  The Packers had to prevent that.

While that’s a possibility it would be bush league and GMs generally want to be up front or no one will deal with them