Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

Here's how I would do this deal.   Keeping in mind next years picks are a round later than this year.  And keeping in mind the Jets are all in and want as much draft capitol this year to shore holes.   Trade Rodgers for the equivalent of this years 2nd and third round picks: Which is a first and second next year.   Jets keep all their picks this year and have lots of ammunition to move around the draft.  If Rodgers retires after this year Jets get a give back pick of say 3rd rounder in 2025 so they have some protection.   Jets aren't completely happy it will cost them two high picks next year but they get 4 picks in the top 112 this year and some protection in case Rodgers retires.   Packers aren't completely happy because they could use an extra high pick this year to help Love but they get two good picks next year.  Win Win.  If the Jets still had their 3rd rounder this year most of you would be happy with a 2nd and 3rd this year and a 3rd coming back if Rodgers only plays one year.   That's the equivalent of this trade but gives the jets more draft ammo this year to go on a run.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Larz said:

They have to make that decision next month   I think it’s one of the reasons the packers want to wait until June 2 , that 25 million going to come in handy 

The $25mm is payable in 2024.  I think most experts think the Packers should spread the hit across 2023 and 2024. 

Rodgers hates the Packers front office because he thinks, probably correctly, that he could have went to the Super Bowl if they drafted him a WR instead of Jordan Love.

if the Jets don’t get Rodgers, they should get Wentz, try their best, and be first in line for a QB next year.  

44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What if we got there and collapsed like the Falcons did?  I would rather not make the Super Bowl in that case.

Pack lost the SB in 98.   That was way worse for me than any NFCCG loss.   I think you're right.

5 hours ago, ptisme said:

Sammy's right.  Rodgers played his last snap with the Packers.  There's a 99.9 percent chance he's not on the team next year.  The .1 percent chance he's on the team he'd be on the bench behind Love.   Love's time is now and he'd demand a trade of this year were the status quo.

Contrary to the national media narrative (clueless), GB's leverage IS NOT keeping Rodgers this year.   THAT IS NOT AN OPTION!  Their leverage would be trading him late in the game or if another team entered the fray.

And PS, trading for Stafford is not an option either so you all need to stop suggesting it..  Google his roster bonus from last month.

Straight question.

Would you rather have a SB this year, or a great QB for the next 10 that might win you one or more SBs but no guarantees?  I think most Jets fans would take the hamburger today without hesitation.  Otherwise, what's the point of building a team?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Here's how I would do this deal.   Keeping in mind next years picks are a round later than this year.  And keeping in mind the Jets are all in and want as much draft capitol this year to shore holes.   Trade Rodgers for the equivalent of this years 2nd and third round picks: Which is a first and second next year.   Jets keep all their picks this year and have lots of ammunition to move around the draft.  If Rodgers retires after this year Jets get a give back pick of say 3rd rounder in 2025 so they have some protection.   Jets aren't completely happy it will cost them two high picks next year but they get 4 picks in the top 112 this year and some protection in case Rodgers retires.   Packers aren't completely happy because they could use an extra high pick this year to help Love but they get two good picks next year.  Win Win.  If the Jets still had their 3rd rounder this year most of you would be happy with a 2nd and 3rd this year and a 3rd coming back if Rodgers only plays one year.   That's the equivalent of this trade but gives the jets more draft ammo this year to go on a run.

I would do this trade.  I think it works for both sides.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

The $25mm is payable in 2024.  I think most experts think the Packers should spread the hit across 2023 and 2024. 

Rodgers hates the Packers front office because he thinks, probably correctly, that he could have went to the Super Bowl if they drafted him a WR instead of Jordan Love.

if the Jets don’t get Rodgers, they should get Wentz, try their best, and be first in line for a QB next year.  

GB preference is to take the whole 40 mil hit this year and get it off the books.  They have modified their cap to do so.  

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Straight question.

Would you rather have a SB this year, or a great QB for the next 10 that might win you one or more SBs but no guarantees?  I think most Jets fans would take the hamburger today without hesitation.  Otherwise, what's the point of building a team?

The Jets are apparently the only team in the NFL that thinks they are AR away from winning a SB, and are willing to pay $110mm over 4 years, plus draft picks, to make that happen.  

they are only there because they have been terrible for the last 11/12 years and want some fun before being bad again.  

it’s sad. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Straight question.

Agreed..  If you rub the genie lamp and it gives you a choice get the trophy.

9 minutes ago, GTB999 said:

I would do this trade.  I think it works for both sides.

I think this is probably the right answer all things considered, but if Rodgers gets hurt and the Jets are picking top 5 again, the franchise will take a decade to recover 

42 minutes ago, ptisme said:

If something like this is being discussed and maybe it has, trade won’t happen until after June 1st. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Oh man. Hearing that the Packers front office watched The Parent Trap last night and have hatched a new plot to keep both Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love. Those who don’t see how this will work just don’t know ball and/or Lindsay Lohan films

^^ Better source than your average Twitter insider 

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think this is probably the right answer all things considered, but if Rodgers gets hurt and the Jets are picking top 5 again, the franchise will take a decade to recover 

Yep.  But life is calculated risks.  Have to jump into the pool at some point if you want to succeed.

That being said.  I think it's a bad idea to trade for AR.  He will play 2023 like his hair is on fire and take Jets to second round of playoffs.  He has that Jordan quality where he ups his level of play when he feels slighted.  I do not think he will bring a SB to the jets.  Not worth the price.

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

On behalf of the jets, I politely decline this offer. I am, under no circumstances, giving an unconditional 1st in any year. Please proceed to trade him to next team offering an unconditional 1st. We'll pivot to stafford/tannehill + draft a developmental qb+ zach.

Thanks for the effort though.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The Jets are apparently the only team in the NFL that thinks they are AR away from winning a SB, and are willing to pay $110mm over 4 years, plus draft picks, to make that happen.  

they are only there because they have been terrible for the last 11/12 years and want some fun before being bad again.  

it’s sad. 

The Jets are a very good QB away from contending for a Super Bowl.  Certainly, winning the division and being competitive in the playoffs is a reasonable target.  At least in some of our opinions.  YMMV.

• Upvote 1

I love how you think this is a hypothetical trade that works except they have no 3rd this year and they aren't going to give up 2 2nds this year.. Maybe a 4th and a 2nd this year... But still you guys come on here making all sorts of claims yet nothing matters and Guty is going to cave on draft day... He is. Not going to pay Rodgers 100 million he is guaranteed over the next 2 years and he will be tarred and feathered if he gets nothing for him... 

It's that simple... Fans can bitch and cry all they want on what they deserve but jets are making a fairly significant offer on a contract that is terrible for GB... And only gets worse every year, unless he is kind to them and retires and gives up the extra 40 million.. 

Haha would love to see that.. We aren't going to give you the trade you want to the jets yet can you retire and give up 40 million... Thanks... 

The fact that packers fans are so dumb that they are willing to give up (2) 2nd rounders and pay Rodgers MORE money and screw the cap in 2024 just is idiotic to me... Only because they think they should get slightly more.. Not because they don't want to trade him. 

And yeah it will suck if the jets don't get Rodgers but he is not the end all.. He is what they need but there are bad options beyond Rodgers that will still make the jets a playoff team, in fact almost any other qb in the league will make the jets a playoff team... 

6 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

I love how you think this is a hypothetical trade that works except they have no 3rd this year and they aren't going to give up 2 2nds this year.. Maybe a 4th and a 2nd this year... But still you guys come on here making all sorts of claims yet nothing matters and Guty is going to cave on draft day... He is. Not going to pay Rodgers 100 million he is guaranteed over the next 2 years and he will be tarred and feathered if he gets nothing for him... 

It's that simple... Fans can bitch and cry all they want on what they deserve but jets are making a fairly significant offer on a contract that is terrible for GB... And only gets worse every year, unless he is kind to them and retires and gives up the extra 40 million.. 

Haha would love to see that.. We aren't going to give you the trade you want to the jets yet can you retire and give up 40 million... Thanks... 

The fact that packers fans are so dumb that they are willing to give up (2) 2nd rounders and pay Rodgers MORE money and screw the cap in 2024 just is idiotic to me... Only because they think they should get slightly more.. Not because they don't want to trade him. 

And yeah it will suck if the jets don't get Rodgers but he is not the end all.. He is what they need but there are bad options beyond Rodgers that will still make the jets a playoff team, in fact almost any other qb in the league will make the jets a playoff team... 

Dude, I already politely declined on our behalf...

• Haha 1

5th this year or a 4th next and GB eats money is fair

Just get out from that contract is worth it

Go find a back up buyer....we will keep the porch light one

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

On behalf of the jets, I politely decline this offer. I am, under no circumstances, giving an unconditional 1st in any year. Please proceed to trade him to next team offering an unconditional 1st. We'll pivot to stafford/tannehill + draft a developmental qb+ zach.

Thanks for the effort though.

Stafford’s contract is incredibly prohibitive to a trade. He only haa $20 million cap hit for this year, before it jumps to $49.5 million in 2024. But a trade (before June 1), with that $26 million option bonus layered in for an acquiring team to pick up or not before the third day of the league year, would give the Rams a $74 million dead money hit for 2023.

Titans will keep Tannehill.  If they draft a QB, he will sit and learn for a year rather than throw the rookie into the fire.  If they don't, then they need a QB.  

52 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Let the Boyle era begin....

3 hours ago, ptisme said:

I'd give the Packers the 7th round pick in 2025.  That's the leverage the Packers have.

Edit: I'll throw in Corey Davis since he will be cut anyway.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ve never wanted a saga to be over more than this one. At the same point. We’re so invested that there’s no point in not staying firm now.

It's going to get ugly once the draft comes and goes and the price goes up. 

Douglas is painting himself into a corner by not at least entertaining Stroud / Levis 

• Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Douglas is painting himself into a corner by not at least entertaining Stroud / Levis 

Price goes up the more GB needs him gone? Ok man.

What will occur first ??? This thread reaching 500 pages or the Aaron Rodgers deal being completed ???

My take.

Currently, neither team has to make a final move.  

I believe GB will agree to the Jets offer a day or two before the draft.  Say April 25th give or take a day.

The deal will be as follows.

Jets give a second round pick in 2023

Jets give a second round pick in 2024 that can be a 1st round pick if they make it to the AFC championship game in 2023 or the pick could be nullified if Rodgers does not play in 2024. 

If JD gives up anything more than a second round pick in 2024 without an escape clause, it will be a total rip off.  I say walk away at that point or prepare to be justifiably tarred and feathered by fans and the media

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

It’s amazing a random “bills fan” and “packers fan” seem more concerned with our QB situation then any Jets fan on this site…

hmmmmmm 

Carry on though 

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Fowler reporting GB is being Stubborn in this trade and that’s what the hold up is

Honestly it's up to them. They would only act stubborn because they know they have no other options. If they had another option, there would be no need for this charade. We'll wait. Our offer isn't changing save for the fact that, after the 2023 draft, you're only getting less from us.

6 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

It’s amazing a random “bills fan” and “packers fan” seem more concerned with our QB situation then any Jets fan on this site…

hmmmmmm 

Carry on though 

It’s bc they both saw us beat them both last year with Zach “worst starting QB in the league” Wilson and are terrified what we can do and how bad it can look for them with Rodgers a Jet.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1