Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

Just now, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

It really is tantalizing how special this could be, and how insanely close it actually is. I know some are negative but Envision a healthy #12, with one last chip on his shoulder, and a better supporting cast than last year. Wouldnt he blow that 26 Td 12 int stat line from 2022 out of the water? Now swap that production out from the putrid qb play of last year. Patriots x 2, Vikings, Lions, Dolphins, Jags all would’ve been wins. That’s a 7-10 to 13-4 jump.  

Dependent on a healthy OL, the healthy return of Breece and a solid #2 WR. If these happen, & we bring in Lazard to pair with GW, I would expect 40+ TD's

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Sure!  Let's bring in a 40 year old QB for a 1st and a 30+ year old WR for a 3rd. Should the Jets trade for 29 year old Henry too????

I have a really good VCR player in my basement. It was the best model 20 years ago.   I'll sell it to you for $300.  And I have an iPhone 6 that was the best phone on the market 7 years ago. I paid $600, but I'll give it to you for $300.  I can keep going.  The NFL is a young man's game.  40 year old QBs paired with 30+ receivers and RBs in their late 20s is a disaster waiting to happen.  

Didn’t a 43 year old qb win the Super Bowl just 2 years ago?

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Dependent on a healthy OL, the healthy return of Breece and a solid #2 WR. If these happen, & we bring in Lazard to pair with GW, I would expect 40+ TD's

I hope folks aren't expecting some veteran (i.e. costly) WR to also be brought in if we get Rodgers.

If anything, we're getting rid of the one we already have, not bringing in more/more expensive FA WR's.

If anything, I'd wager it's Wilson/Moore/Mims/2023 Draft Pick/Berrios (ugh) as our top 5 WR in 2023.  More than enough for Rodgers to make something out of.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think Rodgers at QB, instead of Zach/White/Flacco at QB, will win more games, by more points, than it would otherwise.

I think Rodgers at QB, despite his costs, should win more games than Jimmy G./Minshew/Mayfield/Trubisky/et al. over the next two seasons.

Do you not?

more than Zach, white and flacco is a real low bar.

Aaron Rodgers is declining faster than the fanbase realizes

better than the alternative? sure. But it doesn't move the needle that much 

He's not that MVP guy anymore and he won't be again 

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Credible Update:  I’ve spoken to the big man upstairs and he tells me Rodgers to the Jets is happening.  News of an upcoming flight to Florham Park to be announced later today.

I Will Survive Jesus GIF by hoppip

Any chance he gave you any insight into the college basketball games this afternoon - kind of on a bad run and could use help

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Didn’t a 43 year old qb win the Super Bowl just 2 years ago?

using that logic they shouldn't bring aboard Rodgers, they should look for a QB in round 6

Tom Brady is not a meaningful point of comparison. The dude is on every illegal PED known to man and he sells it as drinking alkaline water. 

Rodgers is 4 years younger than Brady but he looks 15 years older. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Clearly the jets see rodgers as having at least 2 pretty good years left, and they believe in the roster enough that a pretty good qb can contend for the super bowl.  It would also buy them enough time to hide ZW effectively, and justifiably, eventually letting him go while drafting another qb to groom behind Rodgers.  It’s a good plan if it works. 

Just now, bitonti said:

using that logic they shouldn't bring aboard Rodgers, they should look for a QB in round 6

Tom Brady is not a meaningful point of comparison. The dude is on every illegal PED known to man and he sells it as drinking alkaline water. 

Rodgers is 4 years younger than Brady but he looks 15 years older. 

Just out of curiosity, what would make you happy when it comes to this Jets off-season?

I love that you play the contrarian on a lot of topics, it helps the dialogue.

BUT what would you do given the available options and the salary cap?

• Upvote 3

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Clearly the jets see rodgers as having at least 2 pretty good years left, and they believe in the roster enough that a pretty good qb can contend for the super bowl.  It would also buy them enough time to hide ZW effectively, and justifiably, eventually letting him go while drafting another qb to groom behind Rodgers.  It’s a good plan if it works. 

history is full of failed free agents who teams thought  had 1 or 2 years left. Didn't Namath play for the Rams?  

side note any plan involving Zach Wilson is by definition a terrible plan 

Just now, bitonti said:

history is full of failed free agents who teams thought  had 1 or 2 years left. Didn't Namath play for the Rams?  

Namath was spent when he hit LA.  

Since the jets are stuck with ZW now, getting rodgers allows them to red shirt him until his tenure is up.

Just now, bitonti said:

True, but as of right now, it IS the bar.

Just now, bitonti said:

Perhaps.  Perhaps not. 

Guy was an MVP two years ago. 

He had a down year on a down team last year, a team he basically carried on his back (unhappily, and with a hurt finger, to be fair).

Just now, bitonti said:

What do you call moving the needle then?

Rodgers in a pretty crap year with crap support put up 65%, 3,695 yards, 26 TD and 12 INT.  

For reference Bit, that kind of season would rank as ~4th/5th best season, ALL-TIME, for a NY Jets QB.

Give that a think for a minute, and see if you think it "doesn't move the needle".

I think we've seen such horrible QB'ing, for so long, we no longer know what good QB'ing, or even just above-average QB'ing, does for a team.

Yes, Bit, it would move the needle quite a bit over what we've had.

Just now, bitonti said:

We don't need him to be an MVP.  We just need him to be above average, which (IMO) he is still capable of doing for another two years.

Problem is Bit, with guys like you and slats too, is doing nothing, chasing fourth-tier options, or doing the cheapest cap option, is never going to win us games.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

did you watch him play last year at all? you see what he did when his hand wasn't messed up and had some rook who could actually catch? Rodgers by all parties concerned think he can go. There is no doubt ont hat. He at the very least will be able to play this year and play at a high level. 

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Just out of curiosity, what would make you happy when it comes to this Jets off-season?

Yes, I'd like to hear the answer to this too.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

True, but as of right now, it IS the bar.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not. 

Guy was an MVP two years ago. 

He had a down year on a down team last year, a team he basically carried on his back (unhappily, and with a hurt finger, to be fair).

What do you call moving the needle then?

Rodgers in a pretty crap year with crap support put up 65%, 3,695 yards, 26 TD and 12 INT.  

For reference Bit, that kind of season would rank as ~4th/5th best season, ALL-TIME, for a NY Jets QB.

Give that a think for a minute, and see if you think it "doesn't move the needle".

I think we've seen such horrible QB'ing, for so long, we no longer know what good QB'ing, or even just above-average QB'ing, does for a team.

Yes, Bit, it would move the needle quite a bit over what we've had.

We don't need him to be an MVP.  We just need him to be above average, which (IMO) he is still capable of doing for another two years.

Problem is Bit, with guys like you and slats too, is doing nothing, chasing fourth-tier options, or doing the cheapest cap option, is never going to win us games.

If I’m douglas, I’m going for it all with rodgers for a few years, which buys them time to find another qb to groom while ZW rots on the bench and eventually leaves.  If the jets draft a decent successor to rodgers who takes over after a few years, ZW is in rear view and the team moves on without him. 

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

honest answer a QW extension (and bringing back his brother at LB) would make me happy. 

Well I don't know about happy but it would be a start

They are screwed at QB. That's probably not going to change this offseason.  

If it was up to me I'd trade zach yesterday (or cut him) and go back to the draft. 

whether it's neil odonnell or vinny T or farve, free agent QB all end the same way in disappointment 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Namath was spent when he hit LA.  

Since the jets are stuck with ZW now, getting rodgers allows them to red shirt him until his tenure is up.

Rodgers is spent too. 

They aren't stuck with ZW they are choosing to keep Zach there is a big difference

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I hope folks aren't expecting some veteran (i.e. costly) WR to also be brought in if we get Rodgers.

If anything, we're getting rid of the one we already have, not bringing in more/more expensive FA WR's.

If anything, I'd wager it's Wilson/Moore/Mims/2023 Draft Pick/Berrios (ugh) as our top 5 WR in 2023.  More than enough for Rodgers to make something out of.

Don't be too sure of that WF. AR will have a big say on how the offense operates here in NY. There would be no other reason for him to leave GB.

GW, as good as he is, has not worked with Rodgers. AR will want at least 1 of HIS Guys on the team. Lazard and a cheap Cobb to replace Davis & Berrios.

7 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

He wants Jimmy G - a guy who has managed to stay healthy for one complete season as a tenured starter in SF. What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

why do we assume he's going to be like he was last year? That's false hope. 

he's declining every year that means next year he will be worse than last year, most likely. 

father time is undefeated 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

He wants Jimmy G - a guy who has managed to stay healthy for one complete season as a tenured starter in SF. What could go wrong?

the same that can go wrong with Aaron Rodgers just way cheaper

for the record I don't think they'll get Jimmy G either 

it's going to be like Sam Darnold/Baker/Trubisky/Brissett level with the plan of giving Zach another run whenever the bye week is scheduled 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

honest answer a QW extension (and bringing back his brother at LB) would make me happy. 

If it was up to me I'd trade zach yesterday (or cut him) and go back to the draft. 

whether it's neil odonnell or vinny T or farve, free agent QB all end the same way in disappointment 

If Jets get Rodgers, re-sign Quinnen Williams, and keep their 13th overall pick, what do you predict the Jets record to be?

OIP.ZObLMVXbBngpzuT9Q0tHXQHaJ4?pid=ImgDe

Big fan on drafting the fifth guy this year at QB, eh?  Starting Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee in 2023 is your solution.

If so, old friend, I'm happy to write off your view on QB's right now, lol.

OIP.VzcLrUrM0HocJgPEM92hGwHaEH?pid=ImgDe

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bitonti said:

for the record I don't think they'll get Jimmy G either 

it's going to be like Sam Darnold/Baker/Trubisky/Brissett level with the plan of giving Zach another run whenever the bye week is scheduled 

I’d rather watch Stetson Bennett III run the offense.  He is better than those guys.

Just now, bitonti said:

This isn't a good argument. A lot of things can happen, but the idea is to try and guess what is most likely to happen. Which is more likely - Aaron Rodgers stays healthy enough to play a complete season or Jimmy G does?

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This isn't a good argument. A lot of things can happen, but the idea is to try and guess what is most likely to happen. Which is more likely - Aaron Rodgers stays healthy enough to play a complete season or Jimmy G does?

The ceiling scenarios in terms of quality of play are also completely different.

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Haven't read every post but what are you carrying on about?  You would have preferred Carr? 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Aaron Rodgers is going into his 19th season and played last year with a broken thumb. He's going to be 40. Clearly declining. 

Jimmy G played 11 games last year out of 17 and is 31 years old. He played 15 of 16 the year before. He's missed 7 games in the last 2 years.

They are both injury prone, either way you look at it. I grade them out as equally likely to miss time 

Rodgers is just way more expensive, in terms of draft picks given up and salary owed. 

But to reiterate, i don't think they get Jimmy G either. There are other teams sniffing around Jimmy G like the Raiders. 

The Jets are all in on Rodgers so it's a false equivalency. 

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Don't be too sure of that WF. AR will have a big say on how the offense operates here in NY. There would be no other reason for him to leave GB.

GW, as good as he is, has not worked with Rodgers. AR will want at least 1 of HIS Guys on the team. Lazard and a cheap Cobb to replace Davis & Berrios.

Cost is a thing, and we still have guys to sign.  It won't be about him not having his say, he'll have to have that say within the constraicts of his giant ass salary and our available capspace and cap ramifications.  

Just now, Pac said:

Haven't read every post but what are you carrying on about?  You would have preferred Carr? 

I don't think any of these high priced FA QBs are a good idea tbh. Teams don't solve their QB issues by throwing money at free agents. 

Best case you get Kirk Cousins level mediocrity. That's why they took Zach at 2 in the first place because FA QB are mirages 

carr included 

Just now, bitonti said:

I don't think any of these high priced FA QBs are a good idea tbh. Teams don't solve their QB issues by throwing money at free agents. 

Best case you get Kirk Cousins level mediocrity. That's why they took Zach at 2 in the first place because FA QB are mirages 

carr included 

So My Quite? 

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Idk, figure Cobb is likely to come in for like $2m. That gives you $13m to play with in the vet WR market. I think that could land a few different WRs that would only have to fulfill WR2 or WR3 duties