Lamar Jackson Requests Trade

Maxman

I don’t think there’s a team in the league who’s gonna show any real interest before the draft at this point. Teams, for the most part, either have a QB or a QB plan. Most of the QB needy teams are drafting high and likely want their own inexpensive FQB experiment rather than the very expensive Jackson. No need to throw a top five pick +1 to the Ravens. Let the draft play out, see you where stand, then perhaps consider the ‘24 and ‘25 first rounders as compensation with the idea that with LJ on the team, those picks will be much lower. It’s possible one of those high pick teams is eyeing the Edge, instead, with a post-draft plan already in place to pursue Lamar. 

There’s clearly no bidding war going on. No need to rush to overpay with a high pick this year when you can grab a cheap blue chip player, instead, then go after Jackson with future picks.  
Jackson ? You mean Lamar right ?

Yeah ... No thanks ... Play Wilson if Rodgers falls through ... Draft a QB in 2024.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

First off, the "he sat out" is bull sh*t narrative created by fans and talking heads.  His team, including coaches and teammates all said, his knee had baseball like knot on it and he was noticeably still limping.  I dont blame him for risking himself to further injury so some fan could say, yeah, that's a real tough guy only to get RGIII'd out of the league, and how do we know he wouldnt have hurt the team trying to play through?  ie; like Rodgers did.  Now, him not flying w/ the team was a little dick but clearly he hates Steve Bisciotti and as someone who worked for that man, I completely understand why.  He's scum of the earth.  And I've repeatedly said, I'll take the chance on the injury because my plan wouldnt be to expose him the way the Ravens did, it would be much more calculated.

I think Rodgers playing through injury, not telling anyone and not allowing Love to see the field at the expense of his teams success, is just as egregious and something this fan base killed Favre for when he did it to the Jets. 

I disagree that a 1 year rental of a guy who quite frankly at any point could decide to return to darkness and come out retired is a terrible fit for the Jets.  It in fact, seems like a culture killer that if doesnt pan out (it wont, Jets) will be the death pill for the regime and/or lead you directly back to Zach Wilson. 

Damn Jack Youngblood for playing with a broken leg to have a SB run.

Damn Joe Namath for playing with Shredded knees for most of his career .

Screw Willis Reed as well. 

Lamar didn't play because it took away his running ability and he knew there was no way in hell he was passing his team to victory because he downright sucks at passing the football. We can revisit every bit of Lamar Jackson as the years play on. 

• Sympathy 1

Damn Jack Youngblood for playing with a broken leg to have a SB run.
Damn Joe Namath for playing with Shredded knees for most of his career .
Screw Willis Reed as well. 
Lamar didn't play because it took away his running ability and he knew there was no way in hell he was passing his team to victory because he downright sucks at passing the football. We can revisit every bit of Lamar Jackson as the years play on. 
Please give me your address to send u a box of cigars.

Your post alone is enough .. tack on the weird no agent, mom employing, 130m guaranteed is not enough weirdness ...

I can't see how any team signs up for the Lamar Experience. And to this point so far ... The rest of the NFL seems to agree.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Rodgers fell to the packers and was a highly touted guy that was a smart play by the pack at the time. Jordan Love is not in the same zip code as Rodgers in any capacity was he even a first round projection ? Different situation totally

Rodgers fell because he was terrible in interviews.  The 49ers were the obvious team to take him.  Their GM described him as arrogant.  The Packer team that drafted Love went 13&3 the year before and the year they drafted him.  The idea that drafting another offensive player late in the first round would have had an impact on the No. 1 ranked scoring O in the NFL is an incredible second guess of one of the best managed teams in the NFL.  

They didn't lose the NFC championship game at home because they drafted Love they lost because Rodgers on first and goal from the 8 had 3 incomplete passes in a row with a chance to tie the game and their HC decided he had seen enough and kicked a FG. 

18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Lamar didn't play because it took away his running ability and he knew there was no way in hell he was passing his team to victory because he downright sucks at passing the football. 

96.7 career passer rating 

101/38 career TD/INT ratio 

63.7 career completion percentage 

7.4 career yards/attempt 

Exaggerating is one thing, but I’m not even sure what to call this. 

• Upvote 2

7.4 career yards/attempt 

Before u get all puffed up .. please check stats to Wideouts .. Lamar is capable of being accurate and successful completing passes to his TEs. When you get to the Wideouts ... In terms of production ... Ouch.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Thanks, Matt.  Never thought of it that way.  lol

idk, call my crazy but I'd rather trade for a Superstar that you could have for the next decade vs. a guy who maybe wants to play for 1 year if he feels like it.

considering your "superstar" has missed 11 games in the last 2 seasons with injuries, i'm not so sure you will have him for the next decade.

also, his play the last 2 years isn't exactly "superstar" level.  on a per game basis over the last 2 years, he averages 213 yards passing, 1.375 TDs and 0.833 Ints, which over a theoretical 17 game season is 3416 yards, 22 TDs and 13.3 Ints.  add in about 1000 yards and 3.3 TDs for rushing.  certainly good, but not sure it's superstar level worthy of a huge guaranteed contract and two 1st rounders, especially given he's only played 24 of 34 regular season games these last 2 years.

as a point of comparison, justin herbert on a 17 game season over the last 2 years would be 4,589 yards, 29 TDs, 11.7 Ints, plus another 211 yards and 1.4 TDs rushing.  and he's played 34/34 games over these last 2 seasons.  and i'd put herbert in the category just below "superstar QB," although i'd love to have a player like him as the franchise QB for the jets. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Before u get all puffed up .. please check stats to Wideouts .. Lamar is capable of being accurate and successful completing passes to his TEs. When you get to the Wideouts ... In terms of production ... Ouch.

Find me a young Jets QB who can amass a 101/38 TD/INT ratio in his first 5 seasons and I will show you a guy who can throw to his tight ends as many times as he likes :) 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

considering your "superstar" has missed 11 games in the last 2 seasons with injuries, i'm not so sure you will have him for the next decade.

also, his play the last 2 years isn't exactly "superstar" level.  on a per game basis over the last 2 years, he averages 213 yards passing, 1.375 TDs and 0.833 Ints, which over a theoretical 17 game season is 3416 yards, 22 TDs and 13.3 Ints.  add in about 1000 yards and 3.3 TDs for rushing.  certainly good, but not sure it's superstar level worthy of a huge guaranteed contract and two 1st rounders, especially given he's only played 24 of 34 regular season games these last 2 years.

as a point of comparison, justin herbert on a 17 game season over the last 2 years would be 4,589 yards, 29 TDs, 11.7 Ints, plus another 211 yards and 1.4 TDs rushing.  and he's played 34/34 games over these last 2 seasons.  and i'd put herbert in the category just below "superstar QB," although i'd love to have a player like him as the franchise QB for the jets. 

It feels like Jackson peaked in 2019. With the way he plays and the missed games it’s a huge risk to give him the whole guarantee. If he gets hurt or flames out you can’t pivot to another draft pick. With Wislon at least we know to move off.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Find me a young Jets QB who can amass a 101/38 TD/INT ratio in his first 5 seasons and I will show you a guy who can throw to his tight ends as many times as he likes :) 

what about a guy with a 33/20 TD/Int ratio over the last 2 seasons combined?

58 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You know I’ve loved Lamar since day 1. I posted in the draft forum about him back in 2017 and 2018, I picked him to win the MVP his second year, and I’ve loved everything about him since.

I would be ecstatic if we were able to get Lamar as a player. However, from a business perspective, it’s a lot. It’s not my money so I don’t care about paying him what he wants. However, where it hurts the team is the combination of the draft capital we’d have to give up and the cap space we’d have to allocate on a fully guaranteed $200m deal. Add to all of that the fact that the offense and the personnel would need to be changed to maximize his value and it’s a big ask to get any real return in year 1. And that’s all before we start taking into consideration the constant additional threat of injury due to his play style.

I still struggle with it because the allure of having one of the best players in the world (when healthy) is so enticing, but I think the right move is to pass on him right now.

I've addressed all of these "concerns" in other discussions, so I'm not going to go to deep into this but coming from a guy who loves the draft and considers himself a draftnik, I dont care about the picks at all.  JD has had 8 top 34 picks, 4 of them didnt finish the season, 1 was a rotational player and the other, he just traded for lesser picks then where he was selected.  I dont care about the picks, at all.  

The money?  I care even less about.  It's not mine.  Eventually when you have a Superstar QB, you have to pay.  Every team will deal w/ this scenario who finds a Superstar.  The cap is going up, figure it the F out.  The cap is the like the bogeyman around here, it's not that hard.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He would be perfect for the Patriots.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I've addressed all of these "concerns" in other discussions, so I'm not going to go to deep into this but coming from a guy who loves the draft and considers himself a draftnik, I dont care about the picks at all.  JD has had 8 top 34 picks, 4 of them didnt finish the season, 1 was a rotational player and the other, he just traded for lesser picks then where he was selected.  I dont care about the picks, at all.  

The money?  I care even less about.  It's not mine.  Eventually when you have a Superstar QB, you have to pay.  Every team will deal w/ this scenario who finds a Superstar.  The cap is going up, figure it the F out.  The cap is the like the bogeyman around here, it's not that hard.

so basically, you are a fan and don't care about stuff like draft picks and salary cap space to build a team

you'd make one hell of a GM...

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Rodgers fell to the packers and was a highly touted guy that was a smart play by the pack at the time. Jordan Love is not in the same zip code as Rodgers in any capacity was he even a first round projection ? Different situation totally

I think to Green Bay it’s easy to think he is. Look at the years they had from Favre to Rodgers, it would be easy to expect Love  be will live up to it if you are them. Even with nothing at all suggesting that. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Truth!

-New Orlean Saints 

28 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Rodgers fell because he was terrible in interviews.  The 49ers were the obvious team to take him.  Their GM described him as arrogant.  The Packer team that drafted Love went 13&3 the year before and the year they drafted him.  The idea that drafting another offensive player late in the first round would have had an impact on the No. 1 ranked scoring O in the NFL is an incredible second guess of one of the best managed teams in the NFL.  

They didn't lose the NFC championship game at home because they drafted Love they lost because Rodgers on first and goal from the 8 had 3 incomplete passes in a row with a chance to tie the game and their HC decided he had seen enough and kicked a FG. 

Arrogance is pretty common among great players if you haven't figured that out yet. Not all but most.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

You may have addressed the concerns but you surely didn't prove your case in any of those threads.  And I agree there is no need to repeat the counter arguments unless you've changed them significantly. As for the importance of draft picks, salary cap and guaranteed money...  these are vital to the development of the team, so Jets fans should care about that stuff.  When you say stuff like that stuff doesn't matter, then your pleas for Jackson just seem like a blind grab for Jackson and reckless as well.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My Magic 8 ball has confirmed that Lamar will wind up on the Patriots and be a thorn in our side for many years.  @JiF may or may not become a Pats fan when it happens.  The 8 ball has no answer there.  

Funny but it's pretty ridiculous and that would be a disaster for the Jets but whatever.  The only reason why I want Lamar is because it's the best thing for the Jets.  I could give 2 sh*ts about him otherwise.  I'm not sure I've ever posted a single thing about him before this all percolated.  And I've said I'm fine w/ Rodgers but in comparison to going for Lamar, it's stupid.  Pretty simple.  I'm great w/ disagreeing but there isnt much conversation to be had if it's some form of dar dar dar Lamar sucks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

7.4 career yards/attempt 

You forgot his passing yards which are bottom 1/4 of the league. You forgot when the run is taken away from him he can't throw. Most QB's these days throw for 60 + percentage rating ...Just like Most QB's in the 70's threw for 55 % . Means nothing unless the numbers are approaching 70% where the elites hang out and Lamar wants to get paid like those elites. 

You also forgot to mention that ALL of Lamar's numbers and averages have declined every single year since his MVP year.  His Rushing yards also have declined .  But its not just about stats for Lamar its the fact he's been hurt the last 2 years and missed numerous games. You also forgot his dismal playoff record of 1-3 I wont bother putting up those stellar numbers because its common knowledge they sucked. He had one game with really good stats a game in which he put up a grand total of 3 points or was it 6  vs the titans

well hell here ya go ...Playoffs 55.9  3 TD 5 INT 6.6 ypa

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You forgot his passing yards which are bottom 1/4 of the league. You forgot when the run is taken away from him he can't throw. Most QB's these days throw for 60 + percentage rating ...Just like Most QB's in the 70's threw for 55 % . Means nothing unless the numbers are approaching 70% where the elites hang out and Lamar wants to get paid like those elites. 

You also forgot to mention that ALL of Lamar's numbers and averages have declined every single year since his MVP year.  His Rushing yards also have declined .  But its not just about stats for Lamar its the fact he's been hurt the last 2 years and missed numerous games. You also forgot his dismal playoff record of 1-3 I wont bother putting up those stellar numbers because its common knowledge they sucked. He had one game with really good stats a game in which he put up a grand total of 3 points or was it 6  vs the titans

well hell here ya go ...Playoffs 55.9  3 TD 5 INT 6.6 ypa

How many points did Joe Burrow put up against the Titans in the playoffs?

Lamar throw for 240 yards per game the year before this past season. He hasn't declined every year.

As far as his rushing goes, he'd been at 67 yards a game to 63.9 to 63.7. Not a dramatic decline

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You also forgot to mention that ALL of Lamar's numbers and averages have declined every single year since his MVP year.  

This is a valid point and something I would be concerned about. Even more concerning is him not being able to finish back to back seasons with his team in a playoff run. 

I'm just pointing out that making a blanket statement such as "Lamar Jackson sucks at passing" isn't supported by data or reality. In point of fact, he's statistically an above average passer. As you point out, he's not an elite passer, but he certainly doesn't "suck" at passing. That's just silly. 

Most guys fall somewhere in between sucking and being great. 

30 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Arrogance is pretty common among great players if you haven't figured that out yet. Not all but most.  

At least we both finally agree that Rodgers is an arrogant prick and apparently has been since at least college.  

Apparently the dumb ass Packers were one of the only teams that didn't hold it against him.  Really good organization for a very long time.  That's why they picked and developed a replacement for him a year before rather than a year after they needed to. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is a valid point and something I would be concerned about. Even more concerning is him not being able to finish back to back seasons with his team in a playoff run. 

I'm just pointing out that making a blanket statement such as "Lamar Jackson sucks at passing" isn't supported by data or reality. In point of fact, he's statistically an above average passer. As you point out, he's not an elite passer, but he certainly doesn't "suck" at passing. That's just silly. 

He’s been in the bottom half of the league in passing DVOA the last 3 seasons fwiw 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Slim its really about how he passes when the run is taken away from him ...He's just not a pocket passer and IMHO he's been exposed in that regard. His run threat opens things up for him but not vs the better defenses who are good at taking that away from him. The Ravens are a pretty solid organization and if that team had a competent QB during the Flacco years and Jackson years I think they would have won Multiple SB's like as in 4 + there is a reason why they are not signing Jackson  and I would take the well run organization every time over what a player using his mother as an agent. Elite QB's are very hard to come by and lamar is not one of them yet he wants elite type money thats why the Ravens are moving on

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

I guess it’s a matter of coming around to your superstar status regarding Jackson that I currently don’t share. He’s a talented, exciting player -no doubt- but the next QB utilizing his style of play to win a championship will be the very first. Jackson has clearly demonstrated the primary issue when it comes to QBs who rush for 1000 yards a season: they get hurt, and miss games. Josh Allen is probably the first guy I’ve seen who’s been able to make something of the transition, but he’s still below average in comp%, still relies on his legs (over 700 yards the last two years), and still hasn’t reached the Super Bowl. He’s been to the playoffs four years in a row and has a 4-4 record. 

Lamar Jackson isn’t nearly as far along as a passer as Allen, and is 1-4 in the playoffs with a 55% comp, 3 TDs, and 5 ints. You can say MVP as many times as you like, but the harsh reality is that he hasn’t really come close to his MVP performance since that magical 2019 season (when they were the #1 seed and went 1 & done in the postseason). 

I get that you’re a huge fan, but no way is he worth the current asking price. He’s still more potential than sure thing. I continue to not be surprised by the lack of interest. 

• Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

How many points did Joe Burrow put up against the Titans in the playoffs?

not exactly sure what point you are trying to make here.  are you really trying to compare lamar's and burrow's respective playoff track record?

in the game vs. tenn, burrow threw for 348 yards and his team won 19-16.