Lamar Jackson Requests Trade

Maxman

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL how can anybody fault Lamar for seeking a fully guaranteed deal?

NFL players put their minds and bodies on the line for a relatively short earnings window.

Avg NFL career is 3 years.

Think about how many guys who made peanuts from 1950s and 60s etc got CTE

Meanwhile Griffey Jr. is still being paid by Seattle and Bobby Bonilla by the Mets

Nothing wrong with Lamar wanting the fully guaranteed deal.  But the NFL world has largely condemned the Browns for writing that deal.  I don't think any team now wants to follow that up by signing the next one.  Lamar may or may not be recognizing that.  The other issue is the ability of the Ravens to match an offer.  Both of those factors are suppressing the temptation for teams to reach out to him.  

Where he can go wrong is if he jumps to accusations of collusion (like some of the Twidiots out there are doing).  That will turn a tough situation into a toxic one.  I don't fault him (or any player) for not using an agent on their rookie deal.  But with $200M give or take on the line, paying 1.5%-3% to an agent doesn't seem like a bad idea.  

But it's not like he's not going to get paid plenty of cash this season even as a Franchise player so I'm having a hard team mustering up too many tears for him.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I watched Friends for the first time in about 5 years yesterday morning, and this was the episode I saw. ?

Beauty Looking GIF

That era of women wearing childrens department t-shirts and setting the thermostat to 60 was something.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They obviously wouldn't. The CBA in the NFL is very strongly in favor of the owners. 

To see any kind of change like this the NFLPA would need to strike and do so with conviction, which is difficult given the large number of players.

I'm just pointing out that "the model is better than NBA and MLB" is obviously a matter of perspective. It's certainly not a better model for the players.

I’m looking at it from a fans perspective. Either way, both parties are well compensated anyways. If load management were to creep into the NFL, it’d be a massive problem. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He was offered somewhere between 133-180 fully guaranteed.

Where is it confirmed the Ravens offered him a fully guaranteed deal?

Besides, he’s worth more than 133 for 3 

Everything in the press is about how the owners refuse to repeat the sort of fully guaranteed deal the Browns gave DW.

• More Ugh 1

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

After getting permission for courtship, the Jets have already asked for the maiden Rodgers's hand in marriage.

She's happily accepted and already pronounced it to the whole town.

Enter Rodgers' daddy, who's holding up the nuptials because he feels the dowry is inappropriately high.

Daddy's unavoidable problem, though, is the Jets have already knocked up maiden Aaron, who's going to be starting to visibly show before you know it, and is due by the start of September. 

With all the good men taken, Daddy's not going to be able to find another suitable match for his pregnant daughter, who's not only already professed her sole interest in the first marriage suitor, but anyway threatens to kill herself before agreeing to marry another. If we threaten to marry another & leave his daughter with our bastard child it'll fool no one.

So between now & the due date, this is happening; even if the dowry amount gets higher & even less appealing with each passing month.

Just toss in an extra goat and 3 sheaves of wheat and we should e good to go.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Everything in the press is about how the owners refuse to repeat the sort of fully guaranteed deal the Browns gave DW.

3 years 133 fully guaranteed is a bad deal?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Everything in the press is about how the owners don’t want to repeat the sort of fully guaranteed deal the Browns gave DW.

Based on what?

That average salary puts him at $44.3M/year.  Roughly even with Josh Allen.

image.png

Of the guys ahead of him, Mahomes is a bargain but also a WAY better QB.  The four above him are more recent deals and I suspect every one of those teams regrets them in a huge way.  Looking down, the Rams and Cowboys are also remorseful buyers.  Is Lamar better than Daniel Jones?  Probably.  That's the best argument for $45M/year.  But I would not be thrilled to see the Jets write him that deal (plus paying the draft picks).  I just don't have faith that he could perform at anywhere near his 2019 level for 3 more years.

[Edit: to be fair, LA doesn't really get to regret the Stafford deal.  They got their SB out of it.  But the bill is due now and they are going to be bad for a few years.]

• Upvote 2

It seems no team is thinking it's worth 2 firsts and a big contract to acquire him.  I tend to agree.  We just came off a season where BAL had a good team, but was starting a Journeyman backup at QB in the playoffs because of his injuries.

I don't envy the situation BAL is in.  You have a good QB, who won't sign a contract that isn't fully guaranteed for 5+ years because even that QB knows his body is liable to break down at some point and it's likely to be his last big contract even though he is still young by QB standards. 

Even without the first round picks we'd have to give up.  I would not be excited about signing Lamar to a 230m fully guaranteed contract.  Because I feel like our team would be better for a few years, with a very high likely hood of major regret with no options to get rid of the giant weight of a contract for a 2 or even 3 year span.

Lamar is a great player, but I don't think he is worth the Watson deal, because I don't even think Watson was.  I think we would all end up regretting a trade for Lamar in the end.

However, push in the press about how hard we are pursuing him so GB can get off their asses and give us our QB for next year, probably two. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The collusion thing doesn’t hold a lot of water. What specific teams should’ve come forward with two first round picks and an offer sheet designed to scare the Ravens away? How many teams have a QB vacancy, the picks, and cap flexibility at this point? The Jets are locked in on Rodgers, and aren’t deviating. Saints got Carr, Raiders got Jimmy, Bucs got Mayfield…. not many musical chairs left. Panthers, Texans, Cardinals and Colts hold the first four picks in the draft. Who’s left to collude? 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Its offensive, and he is being oppressed by the good ole boys network aka the owners

except it is inaccurate

he wasn't offered 3 yrs/$133 million

he was offered some type of 5-year contract that included $133 million fully guaranteed at signing, something like $175 million guaranteed for injury and the ability to increase it to $200 million in guaranteed money

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens-contract-kyler-murray-russell-wilson-free-agency-compare-tag

i'm sorry, but that contract is neither offensive, nor indicative of some good ole boys network holding down the man.  it's F-U money that would have set him up for the rest of his life

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

There are reports of owner level collusion against Lamar 

That seems like exactly the type of thing woody would be in favor of 

If by collusion, you mean nobody else is willing to be as idiotic as the Browns by handing out a bloated guaranteed contract, then maybe you are right.  Or maybe only the stupidest owner in football thought it was a good idea to hand out such a contract, making him the odd man out.  Then maybe you are wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

I have heard this sentiment.  It is a horrible idea.  

One it will give the three to four teams with an elite QB and even bigger advantage.  KC hemorrhages players every year.  They are in the AFC Championship five or six years running. The Patriots went to eight straight.  If the Chiefs can pay Patrick 90 cents on the dollar thus allowing them to Tyreke, the 13 teams without Burrow, Allen or Mahomes are playing to be a division round loser.

NBA is crap show due to their soft cap.    

i agree it's a bad idea but that's the only way that it might be okay for the majority of the players.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

After getting permission for courtship, the Jets have already asked for the maiden Rodgers's hand in marriage.

She's happily accepted and already pronounced it to the whole town.

Enter Rodgers' daddy, who's holding up the nuptials because he feels the dowry is inappropriately high.

Daddy's unavoidable problem, though, is the Jets have already knocked up maiden Aaron, who's going to be starting to visibly show before you know it, and is due by the start of September. 

With all the good men taken, Daddy's not going to be able to find another suitable match for his pregnant daughter, who's not only already professed her sole interest in the first marriage suitor, but anyway threatens to kill herself before agreeing to marry another. If we threaten to marry another & leave his daughter with our bastard child it'll fool no one.

So between now & the due date, this is happening; even if the dowry amount gets higher & even less appealing with each passing month.

wonderful analogy.  although i think the daddy thinks the dowry is inappropriately low

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, FactsOnly said:

changes NOTHING for his situation

teams still need to give him 5 years fully guaranteed

teams still have to give up 2 firsts

HARD PASS

So, how long can LJ take before signing his FT? Right up until Game 1? How long can he delay reporting to the team and I wonder what the fines incurred would be by % of what he’s being paid?

He can really stick it to the Ravens if he wanted. The whole season will be a wash!

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, how long can LJ take before signing his FT? Right up until Game 1? How long can he delay reporting to the team and I wonder what the fines incurred would be by % of what he’s being paid?

He can really stick it to the Ravens if he wanted. The whole season will be a wash!

I dont see that helping him either

teams are hesitant because he's always injured and reportedly sat out the playoffs to save his knee

him requesting a trade only solidifies those rumors

bad if true!

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

wonderful analogy.  although i think the daddy thinks the dowry is inappropriately low

As I always understood it, a dowry goes from bride's family to the groom's family, to compensate the latter for accepting the financial burden of caring for a woman.

Admittedly it was a minor flaw in the analogy, but I felt it was more appropriate to be correct. If it's any consolation, Aaron Rodgers isn't actually a woman either. 

• Upvote 2