DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.

29 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Let’s not forget that Hopkins played on a 4-13 which normally means that they are playing from behind and defense is playing looser coverage. And how many passes did he catch downfield (let’s say passes that travel more than 15-20 yards in the air?) I don’t know the answer to this but I’m quite sure it wasn’t many Statistics don’t tell an entire story and can be quite misleading and I’m Just curious what is your point in your comparison of QBs in regards to Hopkins and Wilson as all the QBs mentioned sucked as well as the offensive lines on both teams 

I was just pointing out that his QB's also sucked.

He had a very similar ADOT to G. Wilson in 2022.

https://www.ftnfantasy.com/air-yards?fppg=PPR&positions=WR

I agree stats don't tell the whole story. Watch some videos of his play last year. The guy still has the huge catch radius and sticky hands that made him great. If he couldn't run I doubt he'd be putting up the stats he did, even if they don't tell the whole story. It's an outrageous claim IMO.

• Upvote 1

I've paid almost no attention to this story and am not sold either way, so can someone explain to me what the rationale for not signing him is if we can get him on a team friendly deal? Or is it simply that he would demand more than a team friendly deal?

IMO, this is a WR who is better than everyone other than G Wilson on the Jets, and would provide great insurance for us if Garrett had to miss time due to injury. He'll also be able to win 1-1s and take a safety or LB out of the box to open up the run game. Most of all, he'll help open things up for the other WRs and TEs, and for the first time in my entire life, we have a QB who will actually be able to go through progressions to find open guys, so this seems like a slam dunk signing to me.  

42 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've paid almost no attention to this story and am not sold either way, so can someone explain to me what the rationale for not signing him is if we can get him on a team friendly deal? Or is it simply that he would demand more than a team friendly deal?

IMO, this is a WR who is better than everyone other than G Wilson on the Jets, and would provide great insurance for us if Garrett had to miss time due to injury. He'll also be able to win 1-1s and take a safety or LB out of the box to open up the run game. Most of all, he'll help open things up for the other WRs and TEs, and for the first time in my entire life, we have a QB who will actually be able to go through progressions to find open guys, so this seems like a slam dunk signing to me.  

Basically, there is not much against him on a team friendly deal.  There are some that think he is not a team friendly player.  He doesn't like to practice.  He has a bad attitude.  He would probably be more Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason than Jericho Cotchery if things go a bit bad.  Main issue is certainly the expected money.  The OBJ deal probably makes these guys expect a fortune.  It might make sense to be in on him, if for no other reason than to run the price up on the Bills. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

1) Apparently gave the impression he doesnt want to play here because he didnt list the Jets as one of the teams he would like to play for (Have to give him a break, since from the sound of it, doesn't seem like he realizes the Jets are a team in the NFL)

2) He's older, slower, and has a bad attitude (Unlike Aaron Rodgers, who is older, slower, and has a great attitude)

3) Coach Saleh apparently likes our current WR room (He also liked Zach Wilson as our #1 QB and said Elijah Moore wouldnt be traded)

4) He will likely demand 15-20 million per season and we have Corey Davis (who some believe is better than DHop)

5) The Bills and Chiefs are our competition to get him (Would YOU want to play here?)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 7:15 PM, JetNation said:

DeAndre-Hopkins-scaled.jpg

In a bit of news unrelated to the Jets as of this moment, the release of free agent wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins is now official.  This means Hopkins is now free to sign as soon as he finds a destination that meets his needs.

DeAndre Hopkins’ release from the Cardinals has now been officially processed by the league.

He is eligible to sign with a new team immediately ⏰

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) May 30, 2023

While the Chiefs and Bills have been discussed as potential landing spots, they have roughly $650,000 and 1.5 million in cap space respectively.  It has been reported that Hopkins, who averaged 79.7 yards per game last season, will not be signing on the cheap.  This is where the Jets could come in.

According to overthecap.com, the Jets currently have just $6.3 million in cap space, but that does not yet take into account the $12.8 million the Jets created with Carl Lawson’s pay cut.  So in all reality, the Jets are sitting at close to $20 million and could get to $31 million if they were to cut or trade Corey Davis which would seem inevitable in any move to acquire Hopkins.

How much of an upgrade would DeAndre Hopkins be over C. Davis? Looking at 2019-2022.

Davis: 1 drop per 16 tgt
Hopkins: 1 drop per 80 tgt

Hopkins: 77 y/g
Davis: 55 y/g

Hopkins: 17 TD
Davis: 11 TD

Hopkins: 6.3 rec/g
Davis: 3.6 rec/g

Davis: 15.4 ypc
Hopkins: 12.2 ypc

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) May 30, 2023

And while far too much is being made of Hopkins not mentioning the Jets as one of his top five choices on a podcast earlier this month, the Jets do have the three things Hopkins listed as mattering most to him.  That list being a high level quarterback, a top defense and a stable front office situation.  The Jets have all three, and the ability to create more cap space than other clubs in the running.

The addition of a player of Hopkins’ stature would likely elevate the Jets receiving corps to one the top 10 groups in the NFL.  Having opened themselves a very real but also very small super bowl window, the team should be doing everything they can to make it happen and Hopkins would be a huge step in the right direction.

The post DeAndre Hopkins Release Official; Receiver Free to Sign Immediately appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Couldn’t agree more. We literally have a two year window. Year three is likely a rebuilding year with a new QB who we draft in the 2nd or 3rd round next season. Unless we pull a miracle with a QB in 2025, we are likely free to burn whatever cap we need to in year 3.

Maybe it doesn’t work out. Who the f knows . Only thing I do know is that I’d rather go down swinging than watching him play in Buffalo, KC, or Philly. I’d rather be upset that we wasted Woody’s money if he underperforms than be upset that was the difference in a game we lose to one of those three teams with him.

We have the cap space to relatively easily sign him with some small moves if he actually is going to go to the highest bidder that has a chance to win. What the hell else are we saving it for if not for this exact type of situation? If he truly doesn’t like the Jets for whatever reason, that’s out of our control. But there is literally no reason we shouldn’t try. A team with a Super Bowl window NOW shouldn’t have 13 million in cap space with the ability to have 20 million without much effort.

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Jets arent even sniffing him, I'm guessing. JD is looking for the next Bernard Perrriman pickup. 

Stars? Nah we dont need that. We have Corey Drive Killing Drops Davis. 

It does not appear that Hopkins wants to be a Jet. The Jets should not try to convince him to be a Jet. Both the Raiders and Bucs are going to be in full tank mode as we move along here, so the Jets would be wise to keep their powder dry in the event Davante Adams, Mike Evans, or Chris Godwin hit the block.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

At this point in his career, who knows. The Cardinals were willing to eat a lot of money just to get rid of him. I would think that Mike Evans would be a much better option, with a guy that has no character concerns and is still an elite player. Hopkins looked slow last year and not worth the headache.

But, Corey Davis has been a no show at OTAs with Aaron Rodgers there practicing hurt. Not making a good impression on the new coach, I mean QB.

Just now, JETS SB said:

At this point in his career, who knows. The Cardinals were willing to eat a lot of money just to get rid of him. I would think that Mike Evans would be a much better option, with a guy that has no character concerns and is still an elite player. Hopkins looked slow last year and not worth the headache.

But, Corey Davis has been a no show at OTAs with Aaron Rodgers there practicing hurt. Not making a good impression on the new coach, I mean QB.

I mean to even suggest Cory Davis is a better wr than Hopkins is beyond laughable. 

main difference between mike evans and deandre Hopkins is that Hopkins only cost money. Evans cost money and draft picks.

Ultimately I’d be fine trading draft capital to land evans but that will most likely leave us with no draft picks before round 3 next year. Doesn’t sound like something JD would do

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, JETS SB said:

1) Apparently gave the impression he doesnt want to play here because he didnt list the Jets as one of the teams he would like to play for (Have to give him a break, since from the sound of it, doesn't seem like he realizes the Jets are a team in the NFL)

2) He's older, slower, and has a bad attitude (Unlike Aaron Rodgers, who is older, slower, and has a great attitude)

3) Coach Saleh apparently likes our current WR room (He also liked Zach Wilson as our #1 QB and said Elijah Moore wouldnt be traded)

4) He will likely demand 15-20 million per season and we have Corey Davis (who some believe is better than DHop)

5) The Bills and Chiefs are our competition to get him (Would YOU want to play here?)

3) that was last season pre-trade deadline. 

On 5/31/2023 at 2:33 PM, #27TheDominator said:

We have a WR that, as a rookie, had 1100 yards from Zach Wilson, Mike White and Joe Flacco, but let's act like Allen Lazard can't hold a candle to JuJu Smith Schuster.

Mahomes is younger and better than Aaron Rodgers.  He also has the greatest TE ever and a great offensive coach calling the plays.  

14 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I mean to even suggest Cory Davis is a better wr than Hopkins is beyond laughable. 

main difference between mike evans and deandre Hopkins is that Hopkins only cost money. Evans cost money and draft picks.

Ultimately I’d be fine trading draft capital to land evans but that will most likely leave us with no draft picks before round 3 next year. Doesn’t sound like something JD would do

Bucs will be in full fire sale mode by early October.  I think we got a shot at trading for Evans or Godwin.  We probably will be desperate at that point

39 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Mahomes is younger and better than Aaron Rodgers.  He also has the greatest TE ever and a great offensive coach calling the plays.  

They also won the super bowl with a mid-pack defense giving up 35 points.  Having better receivers is a goal, but I would not have a problem going to war with what we have. 

I am also not completely sold that Hopkins is the upgrade you think he will be.  On the field maybe, but you guys like to talk about culture and then want to sh*t it away the second you get close. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2023 at 11:50 AM, FidelioJet said:

So, is your point Hopkins isn't good? Or that good players don't help you win?

Hopkins isn't good is more a valid argument then one you seem to be trying to make  - which is good players don't help you win.

The point is does Hopkins move the needle enough to justify his cost.  
Most don’t agree that he does, it’s really that straight forward. 

• Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The point is does Hopkins move the needle enough to justify his cost.  
Most don’t agree that he does, it’s really that straight forward. 

It's exceptionally straight forward.

What are you giving up for that cost?  What are you not getting because you got him?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's exceptionally straight forward.

What are you giving up for that cost?  What are you not getting because you got him?

$15+ million in cap space and a potential locker room problem.  
Now tell me what you know you’re getting over Davis at this point, especially if he’s shot?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

$15+ million in cap space and a potential locker room problem.  
Now tell me what you know you’re getting over Davis at this point, especially if he’s shot?

What would you want to do with this extra space?  

It seems Hopkins is a massive upgrade over Davis.  I'm not sure the pushback from fans on having good players.

How much of an upgrade would DeAndre Hopkins be over C. Davis? Looking at 2019-2022.

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) May 30, 2023

• Post of the Week 1

On 5/30/2023 at 4:54 PM, slimjasi said:

Very reasonable deal assuming you don't consider a PED suspension at age 30 to be a red flag (some might?).

I'd personally be all in, but I'm not holding my breath. We weren't on his short list and I have to think that some of the teams that were  on it will make a move for him. 

I consider age 30 to be a red flag.......

Why should the Jets completely crater any chance to win after 2024?  They have young talented roster.  It makes no sense to add $100 million in contracts for a bunch of old guys that insure they will completely suck after next season.  All for a 5% chance to win a SB?  

33 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I consider age 30 to be a red flag.......

Why should the Jets completely crater any chance to win after 2024?  They have young talented roster.  It makes no sense to add $100 million in contracts for a bunch of old guys that insure they will completely suck after next season.  All for a 5% chance to win a SB?  

How do you feel about 40?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

What would you want to do with this extra space?  

It seems Hopkins is a massive upgrade over Davis.  I'm not sure the pushback from fans on having good players.

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) May 30, 2023

it's very easy to see the difference watching these two players if stats aren't for you. DHOP is far superior even at the dusty old age of 31. I really don't get the narrative that he's not a big upgrade. I get the other concerns but it shouldn't be a question that he's an upgrade.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That's in 2023.  What about 2024 when Hopkins is 31-32 and completely washed up.  Davis is off the books in 2024.  I don't think Hopkins is signing a one year deal.

I want to win a Super Bowl before we go back to the cycle of QB suck

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

he is NOT completely washed up. where the heck are people getting this idea from??

Because there is not a single receiver in the NFL at age 32 who produces at all. Receivers fall off a cliff at age 31-32.  A recent example is  Julio Jones. It starts with nagging injuries and then a drop in production.  Hopkins is already having availability issues. In fact, there are only 5 active receivers in the NFL currently who are 32 years old, and none are particularly effective.  The best is Thielen, and he is a limited possession receiver.  If that is the best you get from a 32 year old, do you want to pay Hopkins $15 million for 60 catches and 700 yards?  There are players on the Jets that can give you that for a lot less money.  

2 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Sad I'm missing deets take on all this

I can give you half of his take - you and anyone else posting on this thread is a complete idiot.  

I would need Deets for the other half of his take, but i think he’d argue I was able to cover the most important part for him.

• Haha 1

• Barry McCockinner changed the title to DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.