Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For anyone worried about the money aspect. Let's say Cook will take 5mill and DHop 12mill.

We cut both Davis' (Corey and Ashtyn) that saves us 14mill. So cap space wise. We'd be adding Cook and Davis for 3mill.

I was hearing Cook wanted in the neighborhood of $10 mil.  Yes I agree, both Davises should be cut they are both bad players and their salaries are ridiculous 

• Upvote 1

I’m totally fine running with Carter, Knight, Izzy until Hall is ready. It’s a risk, but Carter has to know he’s playing for a roster spot, Izzy looks like a home run hitter, Bam ran really hard but lost steam/our offense was an all time low the end of the season. 

Hopkins and Wilson together with Rodgers could be amazing though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I was hearing Cook wanted in the neighborhood of $10 mil.  Yes I agree, both Davises should be cut they are both bad players and their salaries are ridiculous 

You'd have to think they'd give a slight discount to play with each other, if that's what they want.

If you think about it, taking fandom out of it.

We're the only team that makes sense for both of them.

We can afford both of them with the flexibility we have with money with Rodgers and still some guys that can be restructured or cut (Mosley, Davis, etc).

We're for sure a win now team (something they'd both like).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

where are these supposed indications you speak of?

Saleh saying we like our WR room when asked about DHop and there's been 0 links to us with him.

Trust me if I had it my way DHop would already be a Jet and Davis would be cut.

• Upvote 2

He's not expensive at this stage. He'd likely cost 4mill or so. Cut Ashtyn Davis and add Elliott if you're worried about cap. Almost an even swap money wise.
No dude, Elliott is seriously washed up. I run faster than he does. Dalvin is a better pick-up but that would take away carries from Hall and I want to see him blow up this year.

DHop? I wanted him before but man every where he goes drama follows. He really doesn't fit the team culture and that is just as important as talent when it comes to a superbowl run.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You'd have to think they'd give a slight discount to play with each other, if that's what they want.

If you think about it, taking fandom out of it.

We're the only team that makes sense for both of them.

We can afford both of them with the flexibility we have with money with Rodgers and still some guys that can be restructured or cut (Mosley, Davis, etc).

We're for sure a win now team (something they'd both like).

Of course we are desirable destination.  We have Aaron Rodgers and an elite defense.  Barring an injury to Rodgers we are competing for a Super Bowl I don’t care how badly espn wants to pretend otherwise 

• Upvote 1

Of course we are desirable destination.  We have Aaron Rodgers and an elite defense.  Barring an injury to Rodgers we are competing for a Super Bowl I don’t care how badly espn wants to pretend otherwise 
Did you see our offensive line play last year ... I distinctly remember a play where Laken Tomlinson looked like a video game glitch ... The play was over before he even flinched.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Just now, Dunnie said:

Did you see our offensive line play last year ... I distinctly remember a play where Laken Tomlinson looked like a video game glitch ... The play was over before he even flinched.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Did you see our quarterbacks last season?  The next Pat Mahomes couldn’t make a pre-snap read ever and a cement block is more mobile than White and Flacco

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

For anyone worried about the money aspect. Let's say Cook will take 5mill and DHop 12mill.

We cut both Davis' (Corey and Ashtyn) that saves us 14mill. So cap space wise. We'd be adding Cook and Davis for 3mill.

I'd rather use the majority of that space to pay Rodgers in 2023, as there's no way paying him only $1.1M this year makes sense.  We need to get that number up to $25M or even $30M if we can.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Izzy is not even close to being an NFL running back on a winning team. He will hardly see the field this year, other than special teams. 

Why? RB is probably the easiest position to transition from college to pros, with UDFAs getting significant snaps (and starting jobs) every year. If you’re that concerned about his pass protection, pull him on obvious passing downs. There’s no reason he can’t -at a minimum- win the two-down job in camp if Breece is coming along slowly (despite every report stating the opposite). 

Also think the overall concerns about the position are overblown, and that Dalvin Cook himself would’ve struggled mightily behind the Jets’ OL the second half of last season, probably fumbling even more than he usually does. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slats said:

Why? RB is probably the easiest position to transition from college to pros, with UDFAs getting significant snaps (and starting jobs) every year. If you’re that concerned about his pass protection, pull him on obvious passing downs. There’s no reason he can’t -at a minimum- win the two-down job in camp if Breece is coming along slowly (despite every report stating the opposite). 

Also think the overall concerns about the position are overblown, and that Dalvin Cook himself would’ve struggled mightily behind the Jets’ OL the second half of last season, probably fumbling even more than he usually does. 

Have you seen him play? Do you know anything about his game? He has no catching skills. He's fast but thats about it. He is a change of pace RB, kick returner, until he is in the NFL for a few years, at least. Unless he makes a miraculous transition, he is very limited, other than he has tremendous speed. Great kid. My son grew up with him and played high school football with him in Brooklyn. We love him. But, he has severe limitations, which is why he wasn't drafted until late. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Have you seen him play? Do you know anything about his game? He has no catching skills. He's fast but thats about it. He is a change of pace RB, kick returner, until he is in the NFL for a few years, at least. Unless he makes a miraculous transition, he is very limited, other than he has tremendous speed. Great kid. My son grew up with him and played high school football with him in Brooklyn. We love him. But, he has severe limitations, which is why he wasn't drafted until late. 

If he can take a handoff, he can take as many as they want to hand him over the course of a game, at any time in the game. It’s the easiest transition of any position in the league. Take the ball, see the hole, run thru it. Rookies taken in every round (or not taken at all) have succeeded at the RB position over the years. If his receiving or blocking aren’t up to par, they don’t have to have him on the field for those downs. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

53 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

I get that you have knowledge of the player, but what makes him a "change of pace" back?  He is a 215 lb RB that had rushing 20 TDs last year.  He went in the 5th.  Pacheco went in the 6th last year and he certainly had a way worse pedigree and worked out okay.  Backs excel all the time from nowhere.  James Robinson?  Is there any reason to be so sure he can't give what Tyler Allgeier or Damon Pierce did in 2022?  Maybe the team likes the player and the fit.  Stop acting like it is malpractice not to block him with a $10M insurance policy.  It's not like either would be expected to be RB1.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

There is no way in the world that RBs take a "few years"  to develop.  RB is a plug and play position in the NFL.  RBs are "old" after "a few years" now.  That is why you see teams balking at second contracts for the likes of Barkley and Jacobs. That is why Cook is available. 

What are the Jets looking for in a running back at this point?  If the goal is to take some of the load off Hall early in the season, there is no reason why Carter/Knight/Abanikanda can't do that.  If the goal is a 3rd down back, Carter has 77 receptions in two seasons.  If the goal is to sign a veteran as a complementary running back to Hall, it appears Cook is over qualified. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Abanikanda can't pick up the blitz.  We'd better pick up Cook or Elliott quick!

He can’t catch a ball out of the backfield either.  But hey, Aaron doesn’t need a receiving RB. We have Michael Carter. We are all set. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

we also have people @Bobby816 pitching Zeke who is 2nd on this list and looked like he was running in quicksand last year. because he's cheap.

wolf of wall street omg GIF

I’d like more insurance behind Hall than what we have that’s rather all unproven or not very good. If we weren’t a win now team I’d be saying play the young guys. But we are a win now team. And I’d rather have a guy who’s lost a step that had 12 TDs and almost 900yds last year as the safety net. Not Carter who looked bad last year. Knight who was average at best. And an unproven guy in Izzy.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d like more insurance behind Hall than what we have that’s rather all unproven or not very good. If we weren’t a win now team I’d be saying play the young guys. But we are a win now team. And I’d rather have a guy who’s lost a step that had 12 TDs and almost 900yds last year as the safety net. Not Carter who looked bad last year. Knight who was average at best. And an unproven guy in Izzy.

Zeke would’ve looked a lot worse than Carter behind the Jets’ OL after AVT went down, IMHO. How many fumbles would Cook have had? Jets are fine at RB. All reports are that Breece is ahead of schedule. Even if they bring him along slowly, he’ll still likely get around 50% of their carries. Whatever you think of the other three guys, they can handle the other half. No need for an expensive, over the hill RB. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Zeke would’ve looked a lot worse than Carter behind the Jets’ OL after AVT went down, IMHO. How many fumbles would Cook have had? Jets are fine at RB. All reports are that Breece is ahead of schedule. Even if they bring him along slowly, he’ll still likely get around 50% of their carries. Whatever you think of the other three guys, they can handle the other half. No need for an expensive, over the hill RB. 

How’s 4-6mill expensive though? That’s my point. If he wants more than that. I for sure don’t want him.

I guess I just don’t have the optimism in the guys after Hall that others do. 

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

He can’t catch a ball out of the backfield either.  But hey, Aaron doesn’t need a receiving RB. We have Michael Carter. We are all set. 

Nice try with the pivot, but nope. I thought the Jets needed a veteran who can pick up the blitz?  The tweet above from Nania above indicates Cook stinks in pass protection.  So if Hall is relatively healthy and Carter/Knight/Abanikanda can take some of the workload away from Hall early in the season, what exactly would the Jets be paying starting RB money to Cook for? Injury protection?  3rd down back? Carter has 40 catches in each of his first two seasons.  Hall can catch as well. He had 19 receptions in only 7 games.  I just don't see a need for a high priced running back on this team.  

By the way, there have been a number of running backs drafted late who contributed right away.  Just last year alone  there was Pacheco, Allgeier, Ingram. In 2021 there was Stephenson, Hubbard, Gainwell, Mitchell, Herbert.  

RB does not have much of a learning curve.  In fact, it has the lowest learning curve of any position in the NFL. It's a ridiculous waste of resources to sign Cook.  

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Abanikanda can't pick up the blitz.  We'd better pick up Cook or Elliott quick!

An FYI… Elliott had 2 drops and 1 fumble last year. So where it looks like he doesn’t take care of the ball. That’s false. And isn’t he known as one of the better guys at picking up blitzes? That “pressure” stats seems bogus. Takes scheme, OL missing a block, etc out of it.

28 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Nice try with the pivot, but nope. I thought the Jets needed a veteran who can pick up the blitz?  The tweet above from Nania above indicates Cook stinks in pass protection.  So if Hall is relatively healthy and Carter/Knight/Abanikanda can take some of the workload away from Hall early in the season, what exactly would the Jets be paying starting RB money to Cook for? Injury protection?  3rd down back? Carter has 40 catches in each of his first two seasons.  Hall can catch as well. He had 19 receptions in only 7 games.  I just don't see a need for a high priced running back on this team.  

By the way, there have been a number of running backs drafted late who contributed right away.  Just last year alone  there was Pacheco, Allgeier, Ingram. In 2021 there was Stephenson, Hubbard, Gainwell, Mitchell, Herbert.  

RB does not have much of a learning curve.  In fact, it has the lowest learning curve of any position in the NFL. It's a ridiculous waste of resources to sign Cook.  

Maybe study the player a little more before making assumptions. Izzy will hardly play this year. He has upside but he is not NFL ready.