Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

55 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Good luck with that.  Teams are just handing out $10 million per year to running backs left and right.  Just ask Barkley, or Elliott, or Josh Jacobs.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic but Barkley and Jacobs were both offered 10 million+ guaranteed by their current teams and both turned it down. 

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The great Dalvin Cook was dumped by his current team and now cant find a team that wants him.  How surprising.

There are many teams that want him. But more like 5-7 million per season, rather than the 10 million he wants. Jacobs and Barkley are younger and turned down 10 million+ guaranteed on franchise tags.  Both will likely get 12 million per season. I see a team that might be willing to pay Cook 10 million incentive based. Not guaranteed though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

There are many teams that want him. But more like 5-7 million per season, rather than the 10 million he wants. Jacobs and Barkley are younger and turned down 10 million+ guaranteed on franchise tags.  Both will likely get 12 million per season. I see a team that might be willing to pay Cook 10 million incentive based. Not guaranteed though. 

You want a guy bad, you pay him.  When u want a guy only at a bargain price, you dont really want him.

It's a buyer's market for RBs, folks.  Good news for us because I think we'll need one, but don't need one of the "top-end" free agent ones.  And the market saturation will bring the value down on all of them.

Even if you're happy with the AMOUNT of RBs we have in the RB room (I'm not), we could always look to upgrade.  Michael Carter sucks.  A 1-for-1 swap where we cut Carter and add a better back would be nice.

Hopeful we can scoop up a good one after roster cutdowns.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a buyer's market for RBs, folks.  Good news for us because I think we'll need one, but don't need one of the "top-end" free agent ones.  And the market saturation will bring the value down on all of them.

Even if you're happy with the AMOUNT of RBs we have in the RB room (I'm not), we could always look to upgrade.  Michael Carter sucks.  A 1-for-1 swap where we cut Carter and add a better back would be nice.

Hopeful we can scoop up a good one after roster cutdowns.

We dont know michael carter sucks.  He was pretty good year 1 and bad year 2.  I think he will flourish as a pass catching 3rd down back w/ aaron rodgers.

Bam looked really good until he got hurt.

Izzy is talented but young.

RB room is fine and requires 0 tweaking.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We dont know michael carter sucks.  He was pretty good year 1 and bad year 2.  I think he will flourish as a pass catching 3rd down back w/ aaron rodgers.

Pretty sure we do.  

But OK.  If you want him to just be the 3rd down guy, fine, keep him around.  Still would be nice to add someone to be the early down/every down guy as an upgrade over Bam.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pretty sure we do.  

But OK.  If you want him to just be the 3rd down guy, fine, keep him around.  Still would be nice to add someone to be the early down/every down guy as an upgrade over Bam.  

I was really bummed by his second year - Zach, Moore, and Carter collectively sh*t the bed in year 2 - usually a bad omen going forward when you struggle in year 2. 

I really thought Carter had some beastly moments his rookie year. Last year was surprising. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Izzy is the big X factor 

that one cut and go style might really work in this offense and the guy has big play potential. RBs hit the ground running (pun intended) in the NFL faster than any other position. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I was really bummed by his second year - Zach, Moore, and Carter collectively sh*t the bed in year 2 - usually a bad omen going forward when you struggle in year 2. 

I really thought Carter had some beastly moments his rookie year. Last year was surprising. 

Yup.  Sophomore slumps shouldn't exist at all for RBs unless there's an underlying injury few know about.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Michael Carter and Bam make up the slowest rb duo in the NFL. 

On 6/9/2023 at 1:30 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Breece is already hitting 22 mph in straight line runs and he is cutting already.  He still has 3 full months till the 1st game.

If you connect the dots, he will be a full go week 1.  20 plus touches!!!!!

There is no way I give him 20 touches week 1, for 2 reasons.

#1  Mentally he has to get back to being what he was pre injury.

#2  17 game season, + hopefully several playoff games.   20 touches a game for that = about 400 total touches.   That is how you burn a player out by the time he is 26.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

and ALL impacted by the loss of  AVT.

I think people don't realize just how much of an impact that man makes.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yup.  Sophomore slumps shouldn't exist at all for RBs unless there's an underlying injury few know about.

SOMETIMES THE QB IS SO BAD HE HANDS THE BALL OFF SLOW AND THE RUNNING BACK GETS TACKLED WITHOUT EVEN HAVING A CHANCE!!!

Did I do that right?  :)

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

SOMETIMES THE QB IS SO BAD HE HANDS THE BALL OFF SLOW AND THE RUNNING BACK GETS TACKLED WITHOUT EVEN HAVING A CHANCE!!!

Did I do that right?  :)

lol! 

You accidentally caused me to do some research here.  Next Gen Stats keeps track of the % of plays where a RB sees 8+ men in the box.  Here's where Carter ranked among qualifying backs in 2021-2022:

Carter

• 2022:  14.9 % (40th out of 49 qualifying backs in NFL)
  • 2021:  19.1 % (32nd out of 52)

To put that in perspective, Derrick Henry faced 8+ men in the box 38.1 % of the time in 2022.  Christian McCaffrey - 34.8 %.  

So defenses "not respecting the pass" wasn't an excuse for Carter.  :) 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Like, to the entire OL? 

lol, fair, but even when AVT was healthy Carter wasn't exactly producing like his rookie year. 

In the AVT games (Weeks 1-7) Carter totaled 228 yards on 66 carried (3.5 YPC) and 2 TDs, and didn't have much activity in the passing game either (20 catches, 151 yards, 0 TDs)  in that span.