Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In my entire Jets fandom there have only been 2 players the Jets let go that was truly regrettable:  James Farrior and Demario Davis.

However, there have been countless instances of the team hanging on to a sh*tty player for too long.  David Barrett, Justin McCareins, Eric Smith ( @Bleedin Green ), Mark Sanchez, Wayne Hunter, Kyle Wilson, Buster Skrine, Chuma Edoga, Conor McDermott, Denzel Mims, Nathan Shepherd, Ashtyn Davis  ( @pointman), CJ Mosley ( @Sperm Edwards ), etc etc

Color me unconcerned about this.

Completely agree, but how could you forget the most noodly noodle that ever noodled for faaaaar too long?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jgb said:

I sympathize with Zach. It must suck to suck in such a public position with customers (read: fans) that are so emotionally-invested in your performance. But I care more about the Jets than him personally. If you’re not helping the team win, hasta la vista.

I get it.  I’m not making the case for you to care about him.  But it might be easier to root for him than some others and there also might be a path to success.  But the YIPs are tough to overcome so we’ll see

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Alternatively let’s say AR plays for 3 years and Zach hardly gets any playing time, hopefully big leads for us leads to mop up duty.  Either way how much are we going to see out of ZW for 3 years.  Who trading for ZW?

Somebody will think can can fix him and may throw something our way.

shoe throwing GIF

• Haha 1

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I get it.  I’m not making the case for you to care about him.  But it might be easier to root for him than some others and there also might be an other to success.  But the YIPs are tough to overcome so we’ll see

I do want him to succeed. But I ain’t betting on it. I also don’t cash out my 401k to buy lottery tickets but I hope to win that, also.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Somebody will think can can fix him and may throw something our way.

shoe throwing GIF

Upon further review, the guy actually has a pretty good arm. His receiver made no effort to reel those passes in.

#QBofTheFuture?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

I do want him to succeed. But I ain’t betting on it. I also don’t cash out my 401k to buy lottery tickets but I hope to win that, also.

Amen.  I’m not betting on it either.  But I’m open to seeing if he has improved with some medication, off-season sports counseling and some fresh faces coaching the offense.  Because I believe that’s what he needed, along with taking a back seat

42 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Fixed.

Tua's 5th year option cost is over 23 million.  Zach is at the basic level which is over 20 million.  Tua and Burrow's basic level was 20 million.

Anyways, why would the Jets pick it up?  He will be traded next offseason.

Because if he looks like a FQB in practices and garbage time they will

Or as Jets fans we can, you know, look at the positives

Al Iannazzone @Al_Iannazzone
Aaron Rodgers “loves” and “cares about” Zach Wilson and “wants him to be great.” Wilson is getting a Masters class on how to play the QB position from Rodgers and showing improvement. #Jets

Zach Wilson's 'reset' with the Jets begins with being QB1 for Hall of Fame Game

CANTON, OHIO — Zach Wilson is no longer the center of the Jets’ universe. But they’re committed to making sure Wilson is more comfortable and effective when he is under center.

That’s where Wilson will be Thursday night when the Jets open the preseason against Cleveland in the Hall of Fame Game. Wilson, in however many series he plays, will have an opportunity to show he’s grown from last year’s disappointing and humbling season. Having Aaron Rodgers in his ear every day certainly has made an impact.

Rodgers is giving Wilson a master class on how to play the quarterback position, how to talk to and encourage teammates and how to carry himself as the leader of the team. There have been signs in training camp that Wilson is improving.

The Jets' backup QB has made some impressive throws and good reads, knowing when to check down and when he can take shots.

Robert Saleh sees a more decisive and confident Wilson. Rodgers has noticed that Wilson has matured from OTAs to now and believes this experience will make the young quarterback better. Rodgers promised to be like a big brother and help Wilson every step of the way during this reset.

“I hope that this time for him is like a deep inhale and exhale,” Rodgers said. “That he can really like take a breath and pause and sit with the disappointment of last year and the frustration and then channel it. I feel like he has, but just reach in and channel it to a positive and focus on the opportunity in front of him.

“To learn with a guy who loves him and cares about him and wants him to be great and wants him to do incredible things every day and to get better. Then just go be himself and look at this as a chance to reset. I think he’s done it.”

Rodgers and Wilson have developed a close friendship. They spent time together in the winter long before they were teammates. Rodgers is always giving Wilson tips in practice.  

Wilson watched, admired and tried to pattern his game after Rodgers. Learning from Rodgers now is something Wilson is embracing.

“I think at first it was, you know ‘Aaron Rodgers is in the room,’ it’s one of his favorite players, so I think there was a little bit of being starstruck at first,” offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett said. “Then watching when Aaron and I interact, I like to think of it as getting a PhD in football.”

The Jets drafted Wilson second overall in 2021. They immediately handed him the keys to the franchise, but his performance and how he dealt with adversity showed he wasn’t ready.

The low point was a 10-3 loss last November in New England. Afterward, Wilson was asked if he felt he let the defense down. He responded, “No. No.” That didn’t go over well in the locker room or anywhere else.

Wilson was trashed on local and national sports shows. He addressed his teammates privately and apologized. Wilson was benched twice last season. He finished with six touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

“It’s a tough position,” Rodgers said. “You’re the guy, you dealt with all the stuff last year. His play on the field, the frustration, some of the stuff that he said, the stuff that was said about him, which is probably the most difficult by his teammates and by some of you all. Now he’s got a chance to kind of reset that whole thing. Take back the narrative. I think he’s done a great job. He’s played really, really well in camp.”

The Jets need Wilson to be ready to step in if anything happens to Rodgers. They hope that’s not the case, but Wilson’s development is still critical for his future and the Jets.

“He looks confident,” Rodgers said. “His fundamentals, I think, are improving. He’s thrown the ball on time. He’s got all the other intangibles. He can run, he can move, he can throw on the move, he could throw no-look passes.

“Just [let this] be a good reset for him and I think he’ll look back years from now and be really thankful for this time to grow, to reset, to take a breath. That’s going to set him up for a nice long career in the league.”

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Amen.  I’m not betting on it either.  But I’m open to seeing if he has improved with some medication, off-season sports counseling and some fresh faces coaching the offense.  Because I believe that’s what he needed, along with taking a back seat

I don’t think anyone disagrees. Except maybe @bitonti who believes he is a locker room cancer that will disrupt the team’s cohesion. He costs more to cut than to keep and no one is trading for his contract. So all we can do is hope he beats the long odds.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

People in general aren't super happy with my posts

but you all should see what I want to post

I probably post 1 out of every 10 negative comments that I want to

along those lines it's Zach Wilson's birthday, the hall of fame game

I'm not going to do the Zach Wilson is the devil routine today 

go Jets or whatever

I wasn’t digging at you and only stated what I believe your opinion to be, hopefully accurately.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because if he looks like a FQB in practices and garbage time they will

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Short of A-A-Ron having his leg amputated, he will not be on the team by the 2024 training camp.   If Zach looks like a FQB, a competent QB or even JAG, he will be traded. 

If A-A-Ron is playing at least the next three years, the Jets, a team against the salary cap with some young talent that is going to get paid, will be paying Zach excess of 32 million to carry a clipboard.  Then the Jets will still need to extend him before he is QB1 of the Jets.

That is not happening.  Zach might have a Steve Young revival in his career, but it will not be in Jersey.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Short of A-A-Ron having his leg amputated, he will not be on the team by the 2024 training camp.   If Zach looks like a FQB, a competent QB or even JAG, he will be traded. 

If A-A-Ron is playing at least the next three years, the Jets, a team against the salary cap with some young talent that is going to get paid, will be paying Zach excess of 32 million to carry a clipboard.  Then the Jets will still need to extend him before he is QB1 of the Jets.

That is not happening.  Zach might have a Steve Young revival in his career, but it will not be in Jersey.

Ok, wouldn’t make any sense in that scenario but ok

33 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

You’re right. No QB has been crap for 2 years and had a revival on the team that drafted him. Precious few have accomplished this after one bad rookie year for their drafted team.

42 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

You guys tanking for the USC kid ?

3 hours ago, jgb said:

this all sounds so very familiar

2FA9235F-2D6E-407D-B58F-E188AAACD2E2.png.af30dd63b223b584e7d2ab0f3980313c.png

Unlike Hans Solo, I am interested in talking about the odds. And they ain’t good.

Maybe but Zach is one of that long line of players the fans hate but are still playing because the coaches love them.  As for the odds, I just don’t think people realize what a mess milfy left on offense.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In my entire Jets fandom there have only been 2 players the Jets let go that was truly regrettable:  James Farrior and Demario Davis.

However, there have been countless instances of the team hanging on to a sh*tty player for too long.  David Barrett, Justin McCareins, Eric Smith ( @Bleedin Green ), Mark Sanchez, Wayne Hunter, Kyle Wilson, Buster Skrine, Chuma Edoga, Conor McDermott, Denzel Mims, Nathan Shepherd, Ashtyn Davis  ( @pointman), CJ Mosley ( @Sperm Edwards ), etc etc

Color me unconcerned about this.

Santana Moss. I hate that we got rid of him for L Coles. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Zach Wilson gets the start in the glorified scrimmage that is the HOF game. A start usually reserved for 3rd string QB's. 

Kind of amazing thinking about us as a fanbase thinking of him 2 summers ago to now. It was a complete and utter disaster none of us expected.

Didn't surprise me

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Let’s say AR plays for 3 years. Is Zach really gonna stick around for that long as a reclamation project? What kind of contract would he receive in that scenario? And then when Rodgers finally does retire would Zach be capable of handling the QB1 duties? A lot remains to be seen how his story plays out but I’m interested as hell watching him tomorrow night.

I get it...3 years is a long time to wait....no one knows better than Aaron himself.

So we don't really know when Aaron will hang up the cleats, or how ZW will persevere. AR said the Jets invested too much for it to be a 'one and done' thing. Fair enough. He also said 'but you never know...could be a magical season' (or something like that) illuding to the possibility if he wins another ring his first year here, he may call it quits.

I think it will be two seasons.

There are two criteria that AR wants to accomplish: First, he wants to win another ring, or at least play really well, giving his new team meaningful wins come PO time. Second, I think AR's REALLY trying to develop ZW, almost an obsession. I think when AR believes that mission accomplished, ZW is ready to take over, that will go a long way to AR deciding to retire.

AR would love nothing more than to go out a winner AND hand the car keys to his personal project, who keeps the winning going. The second one is becoming almost as important as the first.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Maybe but Zach is one of that long line of players the fans hate but are still playing because the coaches love them.  As for the odds, I just don’t think people realize what a mess milfy left on offense.

Whether they love him or hate him, Zach would still be a Jet because of his guaranteed contract. He’s more expensive short term to cut than keep (dead money) and no team will trade for that contract. The fact that he’s still on the team doesn’t mean anything, one way or the other.

And the odds are the odds. Lots of player outcomes that lead to them also had terrible situations.

8 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I get it...3 years is a long time to wait....no one knows better than Aaron himself.

So we don't really know when Aaron will hang up the cleats, or how ZW will persevere. AR said the Jets invested too much for it to be a 'one and done' thing. Fair enough. He also said 'but you never know...could be a magical season' (or something like that) illuding to the possibility if he wins another ring his first year here, he may call it quits.

I think it will be two seasons.

There are two criteria that AR wants to accomplish: First, he wants to win another ring, or at least play really well, giving his new team meaningful wins come PO time. Second, I think AR's REALLY trying to develop ZW, almost an obsession. I think when AR believes that mission accomplished, ZW is ready to take over, that will go a long way to AR deciding to retire.

AR would love nothing more than to go out a winner AND hand the car keys to his personal project, who keeps the winning going. The second one is becoming almost as important as the first.

Has to be at least 2 years.

OL could prove to be the Achilles heel once again.  Billy Turner is JAG level at best at this point, and Duane Brown hasn't even been able to practice.

The quick passing game will help, but AR isn't as mobile as he used to be.

The older he gets, the harder it will be for him to effectively scramble and extend plays, etc.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

OL could prove to be the Achilles heel once again.  Billy Turner is JAG level at best at this point, and Duane Brown hasn't even been able to practice.

The older he gets, the harder it will be for him to effectively scramble and extend plays, etc.

I will literally spew coffee through my nostrils if another sh*tty year of OLine play turns one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game into a pedestrian player.   I do not expect that to happen and if it does .. fire everyone.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Rodgers was 2nd fastest in the NFL last season in time from snap-to-throw (Brady #1). Zach Wilson was dead last. There is more to taking pressure off your OL than being able to run.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Rodgers was 2nd fastest in the NFL in time from snap-to-throw (Brady #1). Zach Wilson was dead last. There is more to assisting your OL than being able to run.

Yeah, like I said, the quick passing game will help.

But there are situations when you have to take 5 and 7 step drops on 3rd down, for deep shots, etc. and the line has to hold up.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Rodgers was 2nd fastest in the NFL last season in time from snap-to-throw (Brady #1). Zach Wilson was dead last. There is more to taking pressure off your OL than being able to run.

yep .. elite snap to release times are probably the most important stat to improving OLine play.   Hopefully Zach has improved in this regard.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yeah, like I said, the quick passing game will help.

But there are situations when you have to take 5 and 7 step drops on 3rd down, for deep shots, etc. and the line has to hold up.

Sure there are situations but quick throws are more important than running and will be impactful in a much larger percentage of plays. Also, Rodgers is a Jedi at using the pocket (as was Brady). Brady wasn’t exactly known for his wheels even as a young buck and was consistently one of the least-sacked QBs in the league.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

yep .. elite snap to release times are probably the most important stat to improving OLine play.   Hopefully Zach has improved in this regard.

We will probably be able to count on one hand the number of wide open receivers Rodgers doesn’t see or straight up misses this season.