Guess some of you need to hear this: Zach Wilson (and his $23 mil 5th yr option) has no Future in NY

Paradis

6 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

No, the comeback to this is simple.  Your only argument against OP's is "No team in the league will give him a starting job".  So you state that as fact while projecting 2 years.

Did we not just go through the same with Darnold, who was broken and seeing ghosts?  Someone wanted him.  And you assume Zach Wilson, who has struggled mightily in NY, will just want to stay here and continue as is.  It is way more likely he gets offered a back-up job somewhere else and leaves to start fresh, like most of our failure QBs have done.

These arguments are horrible. Darnold was traded away by a GM who didn’t draft him off a team turning over the coaching staff. Projecting us not doing that in the next 2 years and having some success, these situations couldn’t be any more different.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Considering this is time for Zach to reset and develop, I’m going to reserve judgement until AFTER he gets a chance to reset and develop. 

Unless Rodgers gets hurt then he’s the guy again and when he (likely) isn’t good, we will get to hear how it’s not really his fault because the Jets didn’t bring in a vet to protect him from having his 3rd reset aborted.

• En Fuego 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Newsflash for the podcast bloggers whoever, there wasn’t a proper tank because teams don’t tank.  
This all started because I was discussing Zach and said he looks better.  Something pretty much every media outlet has said.  This has opened up the floodgates from a handful of posters who are falling over themselves to say he looks not different, that he was inaccurate or whatever their lying eyes saw

These are the same posters that wanted to trade QW for a 3rd rounder after his second year.... It doesn't stop... They just latch on a new player to hate

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

My point here is not to argue about Zach. In fact it’s the opposite. There’s nothing to argue about. He’s a meddling back up who will be gone. Nothing to see here 

Then let it be and stop trying to jam your opinion down everyone's throats.

The fact is that some players at all positions take more time to develop. If Zach turns out to be a good NFL QB after this reset time it wouldn't be the first time that happens in NFL history. No one can predict the future and your emotional hatred for this player is obvious.

Why not support the kid and hope for the best. We have a capable GM who sees this young man everyday and I am certain Douglas will be contacting you for your Zach breakdown when the time is right.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I think it goes as we don’t pick up his 5th year option next off-season. But he’s still a Jet next year remember. So that’s another year under Rodgers. Let’s just for the sake of this, say Rodgers retires after the 2024 season. So now we have a need at QB and Wilson is a FA. So I think we could come up with a 1 year deal with him allowing him to show what he has learned in 2 years behind Rodgers. He plays good that year then we pay him. He doesn’t? Then we’re back to the drawing board at QB.

The other scenario is east IMO. Rodgers decides to play a 3rd year and you just let Wilson walk after next season.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Seriously, some of you need to be walked through this?… Forget his dumpster fire play on the field — Aaron committing to at least 2024 officially (and thankfully) ends any speculation. 

we’re not picking up Zach’s roughly $23+ million dollar 5th year option. 

we’re not gonna double down on him with an extension in 2024 after backing up Arod for 2 yrs

we’re not going to forego drafting a QB in 2025 or signing a veteran because “let’s run it back with Zach”

it’s over. Done. He’ll be cut or traded long before he ever gets named QB1 again here. 

tenor.gif?itemid=18783644

Wilson isn't going anywhere.  He lost out on two years of QB training with the
unfortunate passing of Greg Knapp and LaFleur couldn't step into that gap.  Now
with Rodgers, Hackett, Downing and even Boyle he's getting the "grooming" he
missed out on.  I can see Douglas not picking up Wilson's option but working out
a "mini extension" to keep him around.  With the discount Rodgers gave the team
Douglas will have the flexibility to do so.  There's no downside for either
Wilson or the team in this arrangement, Wilson would have a leg up to replace
Rodgers and the team would have a physically gifted QB who hopefully has "reset"
and ready to live up to his draft status

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Seriously, some of you need to be walked through this?… Forget his dumpster fire play on the field — Aaron committing to at least 2024 officially (and thankfully) ends any speculation. 
we’re not gonna double down on him with an extension in 2024 after backing up Arod for 2 yrs
we’re not going to forego drafting a QB in 2025 or signing a veteran because “let’s run it back with Zach”
it’s over. Done. He’ll be cut or traded long before he ever gets named QB1 again here. 
Arrow pointed. Upppppp.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

Agreed, I think the only way it works is if they sign an extension. Hard to see either scenario (paying 23 mm or more to a backup QB) or (declining the option and brining him back as a free agent -- if he had worth).

Been saying this all along ... they will know what they have in Zach at the end of the year .. he will then be extended, traded or released after yr 4. They are not gonna chance him sparking a high $$ in yr 4.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

I don't think Zach has his option exercised but I also think he is open to waiting and sitting behind Rodgers for at least the next 2 seasons.

Unless some other team falls for him and offers good compensation, I think Zach is at least more physically gifted than any QB we will be in position to draft.

• Upvote 1

The thing is no matter how anyone feels about Zach Douglas will need to find a better option. At this point it doesn’t seem likely they pick up the fifth year option but that doesn’t mean they can’t sign him after year four. Of course that depends on how well he plays over these next two seasons.  I think people forget Rodgers sat behind Favre for a few seasons so it’s possible that Zach will develop into a good qb.  And Douglas will have to weigh that development against the college QBs and any other vet who may be available.  And the kicker is the jets don’t have enough draft capital over the next couple of seasons to move up very far and get a top prospect . This assumes the jets are successful with Rodgers and pick in the high twenties.

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

1 hour ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Then let it be and stop trying to jam your opinion down everyone's throats.

The fact is that some players at all positions take more time to develop. If Zach turns out to be a good NFL QB after this reset time it wouldn't be the first time that happens in NFL history. No one can predict the future and your emotional hatred for this player is obvious.

Why not support the kid and hope for the best. We have a capable GM who sees this young man everyday and I am certain Douglas will be contacting you for your Zach breakdown when the time is right.

Fair enough. Emotional hatred tho? No. Tired of reading arguments about “every throw from our back up who is most likely adios” yes. And it’s not just a likelihood based on play trajectory. It’s a near certainty from a contract standpoint. Agents of soon-to-be 25 yr old former 2nd OVA free agent QBs aren’t in the habit of letting their clients hang around because “grooming”. 2 yrs behind Aaron Rodgers will get Zach a second chance in TEN or LV etc 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Find me one QB in that same scenario who did not stick around.

BTW although a “franchise” QB was not involved, Alex Smith resigned with the Niners and stuck around to “compete” for the job. And let’s not forget, our franchise QB is on the cusp of retirement and we have a GM who likes to have a plan and build through the draft. What are JDs post Rogers plans at QB? Right now IMO his plan is hoping that Hackett and Rogers can fix Wilson. If that is not option A, what is?

Look at the precious few successful QB rehabs. How many of those were for the team that originally drafted them and they busted on? I count zero.

7 hours ago, JKlecko said:

The only thing that is folly is your thinking that you're so smart and know everything.  You are clueless.  Know-it-all Jets fans and posters like you are a dime a dozen on Jets fan sites, and you all drag the level of conversation/discussion down.  

Irony is ironic 

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I know you think you know everything, that's obvious by the tone of your posts, but you don't.  In fact, you have no eye for QB talent if you think Zach doesn't have any talent, you have no imagination/creativity when it comes to player contracts, and no idea what the Jets think about Zach or Zach thinks about the Jets.  A lot of things could change between now and 2025.  God forbid, Rodgers could get hurt this season, miss 3-4 games late in the season, and Zach could play at a high level and save the season. Therefore, it's totally ridiculous to make a post like yours at this time.

Since you can't seem to envision a scenario under which Zach could stay or why the Jets would want to keep him or why he might want to stay, I'll spell it out for you.

This is Zach's 3rd season. If Zach continues to learn and fixes his issues before the end of this season. the Jets could decide to offer Zach a reasonable 1-2 year extension that would begin in the 2025 season that was filled with easily achieved incentives/goals, and escalators that would increase the value and the length of the contract to 4-5 years if he played well in 2025 and the team made the playoffs.  Even if they don't do it following this season, they could do it during next season, as he continues to show that he is ready to take over the reins.  It would be to the Jets advantage to be able to salvage Zach and have Rodgers' heir apparent.  It could be to Zach's advantage to stay here on a young hungry team where he knows everyone, knows the scheme, and has developed chemistry with his receivers.  If Zach then succeeded he would become an all-time great in the NYC sports pantheon.  He might stay out of pride, not wanting to have his time here be a failure.  He might stay out of gratitude for the Jets not giving up on him and continuing to believe in him.  It doesn't matter what the agent does, Zach will make the call where he wants to play. Rodgers isn't just have an impact on Zach's mechanics and reading Ds.  I'd be willing to be he's influencing his attitudes as well.  After seeing Rodgers give back $35 million, Zach could easily decide to help the Jets and at the same time bet on himself to succeed and achieve any and all incentives so be willing to take the risk of making less money.

He also could just play out the short-term extension, would have proved himself for overcoming the adversity he has faced in the bright glare of NYC, and he could pretty much write his own ticket to whereever he wanted to play.  The point is NO ONE knows what will happen over the next two years, if Zach will wind up playing during the regular season, and if so, how he will play.  If he plays very well, no one knows what the Jets or Zach will do and/or how they will react, so it's totally ridiculous for any fan to make so many posts as if you know the future and what's going to happen.  You don't.

Zach would have more worth to the Jets than to any other team for a couple of reasons, so they could be willing to pay him more than any other team.  One, they know that he knows the system, already has chemistry with the receivers, and if they're willing to offer him another contract or an extension, they believe that he will be their FQB going forward. Two, if Zach won't be the successor, then they're going to have a very hard time finding a quality QB to succeed Rodgers.  They'll be drafting at the bottom of the round and won't have the draft position to get an elite QB prospect, so would either have to roll the dice and hope they could find another Tom Brady somwhere below the 1st round or would have to mortgage their future to trade up to draft another elite QB prospect.  In that scenario, they wouldn't have a quality vet for the rookie QB to sit and learn behind, so it could be a similar situation to what Zach went through, except we'd have an experienced OC and HC.  Chances are that they wouldn't be able to trade for a good QB or sign one in FA, either because this year was an anomaly.  Very good/great QBs usually don't be come availble except at the very end of their careers. So Zach would solve the problem of whom the successor would be, and would also remove all the criticism that JD has taken for drafting Zach. It would prove that he, the Jets Scouts, and CS was right initially.  It would also provide greater stability and continuity.

its not knowing everything , its putting yourself in JD shoes. 

if you give Zach that extension your talking about, make no mistake, Zach Wilson is the starting QB for 2025. if your JD can you trust him? 

if he wants to keep his job he cant get burnt a 3rd time by Zach. and we will know right away in 2025. it would be best for him and Saleh to draft a guy and they would get 2-3 years more to see if this guy is any good. 

how many chances can you give a guy to make you look bad before you move on. before you lose your job.? 

same thing with Darnold, yeah JD didnt draft him but he knew he couldnt give him another year. and that decision is looking pretty good right now even if he made a mistake in drafting his replacement. 

Zach would have more worth to the Jets than to any other team for a couple of reasons, so they could be willing to pay him more than any other team

the cap hit on Rodgers in 2025 is ridiculous. even if they restructure it, it won't be peanuts. Hall who was a 2nd rd pick doesnt get a 5th year option. he will have to be paid in 2025. plus he needs to make room for GW and Sause in 2026. i dont see us having more money to offer Zach than any other team.

• Post of the Week 1
  • En Fuego 1

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Alex wasn’t supplanted by a franchise QB for 2 years. He also took a pay cut in yr 4 and lost his job in TC to jags. 

He was a redemption story as is Kurt warner.. Steve young, Carson palmer on his 3rd team...geno smith, Warren moon... Sure they are all different tales to how they got there but all were considered busts at some point... Maybe after college not getting drafted or drafted high and failing and coming back or huge injury and never going to play well again... Nobody is going to have the same story because that is impossible to predict... Still doesn't make you right or prove your point. 

Those QBs also didn't have prescident before they did it yet they each did it in their own way... Stop labeling these guys... 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

its not knowing everything , its putting yourself in JD shoes. 

if you give Zach that extension your talking about, make no mistake, Zach Wilson is the starting QB for 2025. if your JD can you trust him? 

if he wants to keep his job he cant get burnt a 3rd time by Zach. and we will know right away in 2025. it would be best for him and Saleh to draft a guy and they would get 2-3 years more to see if this guy is any good. 

how many chances can you give a guy to make you look bad before you move on. before you lose your job.? 

same thing with Darnold, yeah JD didnt draft him but he knew he couldnt give him another year. and that decision is looking pretty good right now even if he made a mistake in drafting his replacement. 

Zach would have more worth to the Jets than to any other team for a couple of reasons, so they could be willing to pay him more than any other team

the cap hit on Rodgers in 2025 is ridiculous. even if they restructure it, it won't be peanuts. Hall who was a 2nd rd pick doesnt get a 5th year option. he will have to be paid in 2025. plus he needs to make room for GW and Sause in 2026. i dont see us having more money to offer Zach than any other team.

I’m not as worried about those contracts coming up. When they come due they still get 1-2 years more before they enter major cap hit territory, and RBs just don’t get paid anymore (they’re now below - or at least in the same ballpark as - TEs). 

They won’t have Mosley eating up $21MM in cap space. They won’t have Lawson either by then (def not at even at his now-reduced rate). It’s at best a guess to think JFM is still in the (2026 version of) ~$15MM+ range himself by then, and if they figure he’s just expendable anyhow. Reed is also unlikely to still be at the top of his game taking up borderline CB1 cap space. Ditto Corey Davis in 8-figure territory himself. Same with Laken Tomlinson. Uzomah won’t be here getting paid $8MM/year himself and Conklin is at best 50/50 to predict to still be starting here 3 years into the future. 

QW will still be here, and will be in his highest cap-hitting seasons. They’ll of course sign some other veterans with higher pricetags, but everyone need not be replaced 1 for 1. 

Point is, it’s doable same as they can fit Rodgers now & could’ve also fit him even without the pay reduction (though it will sure help). Wilson would have to first show he’s worth it, and that timing has to coincide with when they need him to 180 from his prior play. They’re nowhere near that stage as things stand today, though. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Thanks for sharing. I wasn’t sure where you stood after reasonably down voting me 23 times this morning.  

You made a post that made something out to be fact, that isn't and basically called everyone dumb for not believing your view... So ya you did deserve it based on your presumption that you already know the answer. 

For a topic that is on a back up QB... That has no value other then to stir division. 

• Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

Paint the picture for me. In what universe do the jets pick up Zach’s bloated 5th yr option.

Look, we've been promised right here on thiss message board that Davante Adams will be a Jet this year.  So a few posters here believe that Zach Wilson will be reborn after nursing under Aaron Rodgers teet.  Let them fantasize.  In fact, one of them is the same poster IIRC.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

You made a post that made something out to be fact, that isn't and basically called everyone dumb for not believing your view... So ya you did deserve it based on your presumption that you already know the answer. 

For a topic that is on a back up QB... That has no value other then to stir division. 

I didn’t call anyone dumb, just continually redirected the topic to the inevitable contract decision likelihoods. Y’all kept bringing your feels into this thing, when it’s almost entirely an outcome that is indifferent to liking or not liking Zach - or even how well he develops. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I agree with you. The only chance he’d have here is if AR gets hurt this year or next and he comes in and suddenly plays well. Barring that unlikely event, he’s done here.  

Having said that, how many more Zach threads y’all need? This feels like a board obsession at this point.

They are still way behind the number of Jamal Adams threads.  I guess they are trying to catch up.

• Haha 2

Just now, Paradis said:

I didn’t call anyone dumb, just continually redirected the topic to the inevitable contract decision likelihoods. Y’all kept bringing your feels into this thing, when it’s almost entirely outcome that is indifferent to like/not like or even how well he develops. 

Max already addressed this, yes it is most likely you are correct but you could also be very wrong... Just because you say it is so doesn't mean that Greg dorch can play football in the NFL or that Andy Isabella was a good draft pick in the 3rd round

8 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Max already addressed this, yes it is most likely you are correct but you could also be very wrong... Just because you say it is so doesn't mean that Greg dorch can play football in the NFL or that Andy Isabella was a good draft pick in the 3rd round

Agreed on both Dorch and Isabella. 

• Haha 1