Updated cap number OTC

Larz

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

Jets at $8,433, 751.  Please direct all inquiries to OTC. I don’t know why it isn’t 18 million anymore.  

IMG_7212.jpeg

IMG_7213.jpeg

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

Spotrac has it all broken down showing the top 51 as 15+ Mil in cap space... I find that number more reliable, since he breaks it down more thoroughly. 

What I did not realize was Berrios, Moore and Jake Martin? Costing nearly 7.5 Mil in dead cap... 

Who is Jake Martin? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Spotrac has it all broken down showing the top 51 as 15+ Mil in cap space... I find that number more reliable, since he breaks it down more thoroughly. 

What I did not realize was Berrios, Moore and Jake Martin? Costing nearly 7.5 Mil in dead cap... 

Who is Jake Martin? 

He updated it today with all the new top 51’s. 

36 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Who is Jake Martin? 

Jacob Martin.  Edge we signed last year and traded midseason.

• Upvote 1

Yeah...>NONE of this makes sense.

I could have sworn someone said, after signing Dalvin Cook, we had about $5-6 million left.

Then, Cory retires.  Should that not mean we have, at the very least, $10 million?  I mean, if he was making $10 million, with zero guarantees, how is he not on the books anymore and we have less than $10 million?  Wouldn't that mean we were $2 million over?

I fully admit, I am not the guy who gets all this stuff, so for those who do, help us non-math people.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah...>NONE of this makes sense.

I could have sworn someone said, after signing Dalvin Cook, we had about $5-6 million left.

Then, Cory retires.  Should that not mean we have, at the very least, $10 million?  I mean, if he was making $10 million, with zero guarantees, how is he not on the books anymore and we have less than $10 million?  Wouldn't that mean we were $2 million over?

I fully admit, I am not the guy who gets all this stuff, so for those who do, help us non-math people.

He’s got Morestead as a million dollar dead cap hit. It’s a one year deal. The only thing I can think of is that cutting him and bringing him back cost a million bucks in cap space.  It should be noted that I am guessing on that. 

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Unfortunately, yes 

IMG_7215.jpeg

I was under the impression the Jets were still on the hook for the full value of CD's contract until he was cut or traded as his contract is in full effect when he was placed on the "Reserve/Retired" List. If the Jets do move Davis then the Cap for the final season is returned.

I dont see any team making a move for Davis until after all of the Top Tier Players are traded.

6 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

I was under the impression the Jets were still on the hook for the full value of CD's contract until he was cut or traded as his contract is in full effect when he was placed on the "Reserve/Retired" List. If the Jets do move Davis then the Cap for the final season is returned.

I dont see any team making a move for Davis until after all of the Top Tier Players are traded.

He’s not listed as a contract liability but is listed as dead money. I’ll message jason and see if he responds 

6 hours ago, Larz said:

Some clarity but basically bad news I think 

Yup, this is the reason.

In the offseason, only the top 51 cap numbers count against the cap.

During the season, all 53 players on the roster, plus everyone on IR, plus the 16 guys on the practice squad all count against the cap.  And that all adds up.

• Upvote 2

On 9/2/2023 at 9:01 PM, Larz said:

He’s got Morestead as a million dollar dead cap hit. It’s a one year deal. The only thing I can think of is that cutting him and bringing him back cost a million bucks in cap space.  It should be noted that I am guessing on that. 

Morstead's contract was fully guaranteed, which is one of the reasons he rejoined the Jets.  When we cut him, that counted as a dead cap hit.  We then brought him back on what appears to be a vet minimum deal.  So, it looks like the net cost of cutting Morstead for a day and then bringing him back was the added cost of a vet minimum contract on top of his already guaranteed deal.  No wonder he agreed to the temporary cut, and no wonder the Jets were so sure about getting him back.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, Cimini said if was $20+ as of yesterday:

6. Money to burn: The Jets head into the regular season with $20.3 million in cap space, according to Over the Cap, which will allow them to add a big salary at the trading deadline. That's something to watch, assuming they're still in contention.

Douglas acknowledged that Rodgers' $35 million voluntary pay cut provides that kind of opportunity. It came with the tacit understanding that it needs to be used for roster bolstering.

"It's almost like an unspoken thing," Douglas said. "You know if you're doing this, there's a reason why he's doing this. So it's going to give us great flexibility moving forward."

One name that surely will surface in the rumor mill is Bucs receiver Mike Evans, 30, currently engaged in a contract dispute as he looks for an extension. The Jets lost a big target in Corey Davis (6-foot-3), who retired. Evans (6-foot-5) has the body type to fill that role.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

6. Money to burn: The Jets head into the regular season with $20.3 million in cap space, according to Over the Cap, which will allow them to add a big salary at the trading deadline. That's something to watch, assuming they're still in contention.

Douglas acknowledged that Rodgers' $35 million voluntary pay cut provides that kind of opportunity. It came with the tacit understanding that it needs to be used for roster bolstering.

"It's almost like an unspoken thing," Douglas said. "You know if you're doing this, there's a reason why he's doing this. So it's going to give us great flexibility moving forward."

One name that surely will surface in the rumor mill is Bucs receiver Mike Evans, 30, currently engaged in a contract dispute as he looks for an extension. The Jets lost a big target in Corey Davis (6-foot-3), who retired. Evans (6-foot-5) has the body type to fill that role.

His source is OTC which the op shows was just updated 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Larz said:

Some clarity but basically bad news I think 

I was about to mention this but wasn't completely sure. Spotrac knows what they are talking about though.

During the preseason, only the top 51 count. This allows some flexibility during the offseason. We must have an expensive practice squad.

OTC is not right yet.  He hasn't updated the effective cap space which only accounts for the top-51 salaries.  Right now it's the same as the total cap space for all teams.  It's weird how much Spotrac differs from OTC but both look wrong.  I think Jason needs a few days to catch up as I generally find his numbers more accurate but I've seen this happen before.  

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

OTC is not right yet.  He hasn't updated the effective cap space which only accounts for the top-51 salaries.  Right now it's the same as the total cap space for all teams.  It's weird how much Spotrac differs from OTC but both look wrong.  I think Jason needs a few days to catch up as I generally find his numbers more accurate but I've seen this happen before.  

Top 51 part of the off season is over. They all count now. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder Rodgers considers Quinnen Wiliams' new contract part of that roster bolstering your post refers to.  If not then I suppose we are still in the WR market.       

• Upvote 2