Has a Jets GM had a worse year in the past 30 years or so than Joe Douglas?

Beerfish

1 hour ago, SpartanJet said:

I mean it would have looked different if Rodgers were healthy but the question that has to be asked is would Rodgers have survived this offensive line to this point anyway.  I think JD had one great draft class and a few good trades and the rest of his work was garbage.

Ummm….he lasted 4 plays

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nature of the beast.  We have many a poster writing things they would ceaselessly mock other fanbases for writing in the same situation.

I get this but be honest, if you were a fan of a AFC East team not named jets wouldn’t you want the jets to keep JD based on the overall picture? I know I would want them to 

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So this is a good thing that we added to the Rodgers cost of huge draft capital and a huge salary with adding about 5 players and a coach that make the teams substantially worse?

Sorry adding 5 worse pieces to your team to go all in on a player makes that player totally not worth it.

As for Zac Wilson they yanked him in favor or backups last year then replaced him this year with Rodgers.   And Douglas's prudent back up plan to Rodgers getting hurt was......nothing.

Hey overall I like Douglas, he does some things really well but this past years worth of moves has been a greek tragedy.

I would gladly take all those players for a few years of Rodgers. If it were 1 year I'd agree. The only players that hurt are Lazard and Cook, Lazard hurts more than Cook due to playing time but even Diuglas was trying to upgrade that position with Adams or Evans.

We gambled this 1 season that Rodgers would stay healthy as he has the last decade. We just had the worst case scenario happen.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

No. This is what happens when you let inmates run the asylum. This was a conscious decision by management and one they did not have to make. If we're not holding Douglas responsible for this, then where should we direct our criticism? 

All he had to do was tell Rodgers no, but Douglas chose not to do that for risk of losing Rodgers. So the question remains, who should we blame, if not for Douglas?

I'm sorry but I'd glady make those concessions to acquire 2+ years of Rodgers. The salary is not an issue so much as the roster spot and playing time. Lazard is really the only one that hurts from that perspective

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Dude is 24 -50 but you have jets fan posting nonsense like this, imagine if this was another fanbase typing this about thier loser GM, we would all be LOL’in our a**** off. 

Post like this are sad and makes this franchise seem so desperate and easy to take advantage off.

Smfh 

Who do you want as GM? I'm not saying he is infallible, plenty of decisions I don't like. Acquiring Rodgers for two second round picks is not one of those though. 

Are there players we released during camp that you are upset we let go to hold onto Lazard, Cook, and Turner? 

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think people need to get over the Lazard, Cobb, Turner, and Cook signings. Those were the cost of locking in Rodgers to NY.

Our issue is we missed on the Zach pick. Full stop. If you remove QB from the equation, I'm not sure there are 5 other rosters you'd prefer to have. I'd gladly take Jets 2023 roster over any Jets roster I've seen since I started watching.

I think @Beerfish and others like @Beerfish would do well to look around the league at other receiving corps, because they all contain dead weight after their WR3, and even the ones who have good WR2’s usually do so because they swung a trade for a hugely expensive WR1. The Chiefs would kill for our sh*tty WR room. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think @Beerfish and others like @Beerfish would do well to look around the league at other receiving corps, because they all contain dead weight after their WR3, and even the ones who have good WR2’s usually do so because they swung a trade for a hugely expensive WR1. The Chiefs would kill for our sh*tty WR room. 

Lazard is our #2 Wr and he STNKS

Cobb was a laughable #3 guy until he finally got benched.

Garret Wilson had a poor game for him last game and he is all we have.

But Joe D is fine paying lazard 11 million a year for a 4 year deal for the dreck lazard has provided.

Our #1 guy is much better than anyone the chiefs have, the rest?   They are as good easily. even with their stink wrs.

KC also has the best TE in the league.

If you are 'good' with our Wr room I do not know what to tell you.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Lazard is our #2 Wr and he STNKS

Cobb was a laughable #3 guy until he finally got benched.

Garret Wilson had a poor game for him last game and he is all we have.

But Joe D is fine paying lazard 11 million a year for a 4 year deal for the dreck lazard has provided.

Our #1 guy is much better than anyone the chiefs have, the rest?   They are as good easily. even with their stink wrs.

KC also has the best TE in the league.

If you are 'good' with our Wr room I do not know what to tell you.

- Corey Davis was supposed to be our #2, dude left 2 weeks before the season started

- Cobb is not WR3 lol

- I agree at WR, JD seems to agree as well hence the push for Adams and Evans

- Lazard is the 24th highest paid WR, who's contract was entirely erased due to Rodgers restructure.

- No argument on Kelce being better than out TEs, I'd say Garrett and him are a push in terms of pass catchers.

- I don't think anyone is good with our WR room. I can tell you for a fact the most engagement I've gotten outside Rodgers was discussing WR trade rumors.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

- Corey Davis was supposed to be our #2, dude left 2 weeks before the season started

- Cobb is not WR3 lol

- I agree at WR, JD seems to agree as well hence the push for Adams and Evans

- Lazard is the 24th highest paid WR, who's contract was entirely erased due to Rodgers restructure.

- No argument on Kelce being better than out TEs, I'd say Garrett and him are a push in terms of pass catchers.

- I don't think anyone is good with our WR room. I can tell you for a fact the most engagement I've gotten outside Rodgers was discussing WR trade rumors.

I think the foundation of the argument is….JD surrendered being a competent GM to please AROD on all after 4 losing seasons under his belt. Wiffs of desperation. The whole friend network and Bros of Rodgers have not improved this team at all. So if that’s the Rogers tax without Rogers playing, we got ripped off. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

This is pure nonsense. A well run organization like the 49ers were paying Tray Lance alot and moved on.....

You see he doesnt have it and you move on

It is not nonsense at all dude.  It is what they did.  I am not saying I agree with it.  Personally, I would have cut him and picked up someone like Teddy Bridgewater.  But that isn't how this went down.  I am sure Woody had a big hand in all this. 

39 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I think the foundation of the argument is….JD surrendered being a competent GM to please AROD on all after 4 losing seasons under his belt. Wiffs of desperation. The whole friend network and Bros of Rodgers have not improved this team at all. So if that’s the Rogers tax without Rogers playing, we got ripped off. 

You can't evaluate those moves without taking Rodgers into account though. I'm not sure how many people would be signing off on Hackett and Lazard without Rodgers.

Lazards mid contract and playing time is the biggest issue with Rodgers buddies.

10 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Stop spitting facts....

JD truthers will stick to the Jamal Adams trade for dear life and ignore everything else....

Well if you want facts, we have the most talent on this team we have had in almost two decades.  Facts suck when they don't work for you....

• WTF? 1

Douglas needs to catch heat for his inability to evaluate talent on offense. Most of his free agent signings on that side of the ball aren’t living up to their deals and his picks on offense haven’t amounted to much other then GW and Breece. 

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Who do you want as GM? I'm not saying he is infallible, plenty of decisions I don't like. Acquiring Rodgers for two second round picks is not one of those though. 

Are there players we released during camp that you are upset we let go to hold onto Lazard, Cook, and Turner? 

Who do I want? Idk but I do know every year there are dudes who are hired that have been groomed for the position, we need to find the next great one period.

Rodgers was a move most of us wanted but even the original plan to surround rodgers was extremely flawed as was the plan to develop Zach.

how can you guys not see this  and trust this GM moving forward ?????

Besides if I’m a fan of any AFC east team not named jets I’m laughing and smiling hoping most jets fans think like you

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is a very relative statement. If Rodgers was healthy and we're first place in the AFC East (admittedly a big "if") I think that player is 100% worth it.

This is the real whiff. Subjecting the team to another season of Zach Wilson should have never been allowed as a possibility.

Bingo

Outside of that 1 draft in 22, jd has not been good with adding talent thru the draft

IMG_5822.thumb.jpeg.d160e5499da8e4dc87e73f1c2f06cb36.jpeg

Avt, & Carter are the only good players taken from his first 2 drafts. He’s also responsible for the worst pick in franchise history with ZW

IMG_5823.thumb.jpeg.84ea0a0062a95fbe6c20f4e844a78900.jpegsauce, Gwills, JJ, and Breece was obviously a great draft. This past year is obviously too early to judge but tippman has been the only contributor. 

my biggest issue with JD is not moving on from ZW. Once they traded for ARod, ZW should have been traded away for any draft capitol, even if it was just a 5th or 6th. And a legitimate backup should have been brought in during the off-season. And At the very least A replacement should have been brought in the second ARod went down.

The fact that we keep trotting ZW out on the field every week is beyond embarrassing. He deserves to be fired for this alone. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Nobody has mentioned the unexplainable signing of Hardman. How can you sign a player in FA, then not come up with a plan to use him. It's embarrassing. 

The dude signed 3 wrs. And they are all trash. Lazard is a decent 3rd or 4th wr. But we are paying him as a number 2.

Cobb should have retired 3 years ago and Hardman couldn’t do anything with Mahomes throwing him the ball 

terrible signings all around

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The dude signed 3 wrs. And they are all trash. Lazard is a decent 3rd or 4th wr. But we are paying him as a number 2.

Cobb should have retired 3 years ago and Hardman couldn’t do anything with Mahomes throwing him the ball 

terrible signings all around

And before someone comes up with Davis - he also wasn't a good WR 2 - maybe a 3 at best - just look at his stats pls

• Thumb Down 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

His draft right now has provided less than the infamous Idzik 13 and his draft priorities were terrible.

He gave up massive draft capital for a player the other team was desperate to get rid of and there was no competition for that players services.

As expected the whole year is all about Rodgers, even in his injury all the stories are about rodgers.

(Got 4 snaps out the player you sold the teams soul for)

He 'improved' the team with the following signings:

Alan Lazard 4 years 11 million a year.  A total dog player so far.

Randall Cobb a guy who was done 2 to 3 years ago, got lots of snaps and provided nothing.

Billy Turner, terrible player here from one reason.  He is a buddy.

Tim Boyle, we have the worst Qb in the league backed up by the worst backup in the league.

Signed Dalvin Cook who has been terrible to a fat contract.

Brought in Nat Hackett a guy not one other team in the league would think about hiring as an oc after the Denver debacle.

Gave Quinnen Williams the biggest DT contract in the league for good 'pass rush win rates' and pff pressures.

His plan A was always Duane Brown at LT

He has utterly failed to do anything in season.  Other teams are picking up QBs that are at least competent, Joe sits on his hands. His big move to help the oline is Roger Saffold, he has done not one thing to bolster the weakest Wr group in the league.

His team 'plan' has just fallen apart this year and he is starting to resemble mike mccagnan level of gming

He got fleeced in the Rodgers deal and then picked up every bad player Rodgers wanted.  Biggest mistake seems to have been thinking adding Rodgers would fix every other deficiency on the roster.  Biggest screw ups were QB2 and WR behind Wilson IMO.

His approach to the draft was mind boggling from the word go.

I'm a huge Joe D. supporter but this has been his worst stretch at GM.

That being said, I think the top four picks in this class will all be good players when all is said and done.

17 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Outside of that 1 draft in 22, jd has not been good with adding talent thru the draft

IMG_5822.thumb.jpeg.d160e5499da8e4dc87e73f1c2f06cb36.jpeg

Avt, & Carter are the only good players taken from his first 2 drafts. He’s also responsible for the worst pick in franchise history with ZW

IMG_5823.thumb.jpeg.84ea0a0062a95fbe6c20f4e844a78900.jpegsauce, Gwills, JJ, and Breece was obviously a great draft. This past year is obviously too early to judge but tippman has been the only contributor. 

my biggest issue with JD is not moving on from ZW. Once they traded for ARod, ZW should have been traded away for any draft capitol, even if it was just a 5th or 6th. And a legitimate backup should have been brought in during the off-season. And At the very least A replacement should have been brought in the second ARod went down.

The fact that we keep trotting ZW out on the field every week is beyond embarrassing. He deserves to be fired for this alone. 

Unless we're saying that finding depth players late in the draft isn't important this is a pretty odd assessment.  Just because a guy isn't OROY or DROY doesn't mean he didn't get value with some of these guys.  And are we still saying Becton was a bad pick at this point because GVR rolled up on his leg?

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Unless we're saying that finding depth players late in the draft isn't important this is a pretty odd assessment.  Just because a guy isn't OROY or DROY doesn't mean he didn't get value with some of these guys.  And are we still saying Becton was a bad pick at this point because GVR rolled up on his leg?

If he stays healthy this year I wouldnt say that with the performance he showed

• Thumb Down 1

14 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think people need to get over the Lazard, Cobb, Turner, and Cook signings. Those were the cost of locking in Rodgers to NY.

Our issue is we missed on the Zach pick. Full stop. If you remove QB from the equation, I'm not sure there are 5 other rosters you'd prefer to have. I'd gladly take Jets 2023 roster over any Jets roster I've seen since I started watching.

Yes and No.  The biggest issue is JD deals and signs for Rodgers - cash and picks - and STILL holds on to the Prodigal Son.  Zach was not supposed to be playing this year. He was slated to sitting and learning. Even if Rodgers was injured, JD should have had a back up QB in place BEFORE the season started not named Zach Wilson.  There were tons of options to back Rodgers up.  Zach has been atrocious and although he has played like poop, the blame falls directly on JD for not having a plan B to back up the plan A..   

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Most WR rooms stink and would look positively horrific playing with Zach Wilson. If Rodgers is healthy, Lazard is fine, Garrett Wilson probably has 12 TDs at this point, and the TEs are both on your fantasy team. 

And the Jets cheerleaders would be back. Ra RA Shish BOOM BA

• Haha 1

You answered your own question with your point about selling the team’s soul for AR. When Woody gave JD the mandate to get AR at all costs, the rest was predictable. JD now works for Rodgers,period. I’ve been a Jet fan for 57 years and a season ticket holder for 44 years. This is the most f**ked up this team has ever been and that’s saying a mouthful. There is no end in sight other than new ownership and that looks like it will never happen. We are the biggest joke in pro sports.

It’s all Woody. Do you guys check under the bed to make sure he isn’t under there?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

Douglas needs to catch heat for his inability to evaluate talent on offense. Most of his free agent signings on that side of the ball aren’t living up to their deals and his picks on offense haven’t amounted to much other then GW and Breece. 

Breece was a no Brainer. I don't give him any credit for that pick. It was a surprise he was still there. We needed a back. There you go

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

No

They should have been factored in. The whole move was idiotic and said it before it happened.

• Upvote 2