Jets Doomed Jets, Not Zach

Ulrich

Zach Wilson had no business being drafted at all, much less the 2nd overall pick. This was a catastrophe for a franchise that's had too many of them since 1969.He is bad at football. He will never be even adequate backup NFL QB. Pin blame on whom ever you want. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 3

The Clif notes to the above post:

The Jets can't develop a QB to save their lives

The Jets have a crummy offensive coaching staff

Other teams overcome bad picks and develop a diamond in the rough

We gave the keys to the kingdom to Aaron, let him bring JAGs to the team...

Zach says to himself...it was all those guys fawlt, i'm good i know I am...

Jeez

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

This "elite physical talent"; examples?  Among his attributes; running backward in the face of a pass rush, failing to read defenses, locking in on 1 receiver, throwing bounce passes, Hanging onto the ball waaaaayyyy tooooo long, fumbling

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

"Also one thing lost in Zach’s ignominious Jets tenure: he’s got more to his personality than what we’ve seen of him here. Years ago I saw portions of several interviews before he set foot in 1 Jets Drive. He was self deprecating, funny and personable. He came off likable. This team and offense - and to be sure his wretched play - destroyed his likability here."

If you have to sell his wonderful personality this hard, he's probably a total douche bag. That isn't a surprise to anyone over 12. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

This "elite physical talent"; examples?  Among his attributes; running backward in the face of a pass rush, failing to read defenses, locking in on 1 receiver, throwing bounce passes, Hanging onto the ball waaaaayyyy tooooo long, fumbling

(sigh)

Zach has an elite arm and he has excellent escapability (not a fan of that word but whatever).  He locks in on 1 WR because we only have 1 legit WR.  He's a slow processor and not the best decision-maker, which are admittedly both critical traits for a QB.  However, we put him in a terrible situation for those weaknesses.  The OL has been pretty awful this year and has completely caved in several games (certainly the Dallas game).  Put him on a team with a competent OL and he'll have a little bit more time to see the field and not worry about pirouetting to buy time to try to make a play.  And give him 3 competent WRs (maybe 1 star like GW and a quality WR2 and WR3), and he'll actually have someone open down the field (who can actually catch) after he buys 5 seconds running away from the Maxx Crosby's of the world.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

The Zach Wilson* fiasco helped sink the Jets. Yet in the final analysis it was the Jets who sunk the Jets. Due to their their dodgy football program - specifically their clueless offensive program.

Great programs survive botched high draft picks. Happens many times. Even a No. 2 overall projected franchise QB like Zach.

Niners thrived despite the Trey Lance blunder. Sure lucking in to Purdy is a huge reason why. But main reason is their stellar program. They made a major mistake but could withstand it. Had they not hit on Purdy they’d of found another QB to plug in. Likely not at Purdy’s historic production. But they won appreciably with Jimmy G so they woulda found someone.

That’s what great programs do.

Jets?

Led by the blockhead Johnson brothers, they bowed down to Rodgers ignoring offensive deficiencies elsewhere. Keeping their fingers crossed it’ll all work out.🤞= always a hallmark of a great program!

*If I’m Zach I’m thinking:

Screw the Jets and the hater fans & media segment. I was drafted in to a totally dysfunctional offensive operation. I always had dogs—t players and offensive coaches to work with. Arguably the NFL’s worst environment for a top draft pick QB to develop.

So f—k all y’all. I’m outta here. I possess elite physical talent. Obviously I must improve a ton processing the NFL game. Maybe I never will. But I know I never will in this broken environment.

Also one thing lost in Zach’s ignominious Jets tenure: he’s got more to his personality than what we’ve seen of him here. Years ago I saw portions of several interviews before he set foot in 1 Jets Drive. He was self deprecating, funny and personable. He came off likable. This team and offense - and to be sure his wretched play - destroyed his likability here.

It’s not even that they drafted him so high.  What they did was pair him with a newbie and inept offensive coordinator and then played him without much of a team to back him up.  Year two had better players but the inept milfy was running the offense.  This season he was supposed to sit.  The bottom line is for all of Zach’s shortcomings the jets didn’t do him any favors by starting him from day one.  Had they brought in a vet to start for a season or two things might have turned out much differently.  And maybe we’re not talking about Rodgers at all.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

(sigh)

Zach has an elite arm and he has excellent escapability (not a fan of that word but whatever).  He locks in on 1 WR because we only have 1 legit WR.  He's a slow processor and not the best decision-maker, which are admittedly both critical traits for a QB.  However, we put him in a terrible situation for those weaknesses.  The OL has been pretty awful this year and has completely caved in several games (certainly the Dallas game).  Put him on a team with a competent OL and he'll have a little bit more time to see the field and not worry about pirouetting to buy time to try to make a play.  And give him 3 competent WRs (maybe 1 star like GW and a quality WR2 and WR3), and he'll actually have someone open down the field (who can actually catch) after he buys 5 seconds running away from the Maxx Crosby's of the world.  

I’m not sure he can be called a slow processor.  I believe his stats show he’s much better making quick throws.  The key is to run plays that get his first option open and at least not have to go through a whole progression.  Pretty tough when there’s only one receiver capable of getting open consistently.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

It’s not even that they drafted him so high.  What they did was pair him with a newbie and inept offensive coordinator and then played him without much of a team to back him up.  Year two had better players but the inept milfy was running the offense.  This season he was supposed to sit.  The bottom line is for all of Zach’s shortcomings the jets didn’t do him any favors by starting him from day one.  Had they brought in a vet to start for a season or two things might have turned out much differently.  And maybe we’re not talking about Rodgers at all.

The Jets also don’t have a program. It’s a loosey goosey run team where the second pick quarterback can live on the other side of the country. Zero commitment to winning from the owner on down.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I’m not sure he can be called a slow processor. 

he literally has ADHD so bad the league gives him an exception for adderall a banned substance

the problem is that adderall doesn't turn severely ADHD people into fighter pilots all of a sudden 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he literally has ADHD so bad the league gives him an exception for adderall a banned substance

the problem is that adderall doesn't turn severely ADHD people into fighter pilots all of a sudden 

Source?

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

Source?

Wilson has ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), like some others in his family, and it created challenges in the college classroom, but it has no effect on his ability to absorb football concepts, according to people close to him.

"His mental horsepower is through the roof," Saleh said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31399489/zach-wilson-path-new-york-jets-nfl-worst-kept-secret

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

I meant 'source on the league exemption for adderall'. I know he has ADHD.

This thread is pretty good 

note that @Maxman or whoever closed it for supposed HIPAA violations but Pro athletes are not covered under HIPAA 

they are public figures and their injuries or shortcomings are public domain

just like how we talk about Aaron's Achillies every 2 seconds and it's not a HIPAA violation 

the NFL players in general don't have the same human rights (OSHA, Labor rights)  as anyone else, due to the Anti-Trust exception signed by congress 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This thread is pretty good 

note that @Maxman or whoever closed it for supposed HIPAA violations but Pro athletes are not covered under HIPAA 

they are public figures and their injuries or shortcomings are public domain

just like how we talk about Aaron's Achillies every 2 seconds and it's not a HIPAA violation 

the NFL players in general don't have the same human rights (OSHA, Labor rights)  as anyone else, due to the Anti-Trust exception signed by congress 

I didn't see any confirmation that he did get an exemption, only speculation. You would think a list of Adderall exemptions in the league would be public and easy to find.

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

The Zach Wilson* fiasco helped sink the Jets. Yet in the final analysis it was the Jets who sunk the Jets. Due to their their dodgy football program - specifically their clueless offensive program.

Great programs survive botched high draft picks. Happens many times. Even a No. 2 overall projected franchise QB like Zach.

Niners thrived despite the Trey Lance blunder. Sure lucking in to Purdy is a huge reason why. But main reason is their stellar program. They made a major mistake but could withstand it. Had they not hit on Purdy they’d of found another QB to plug in. Likely not at Purdy’s historic production. But they won appreciably with Jimmy G so they woulda found someone.

That’s what great programs do.

Jets?

Led by the blockhead Johnson brothers, they bowed down to Rodgers ignoring offensive deficiencies elsewhere. Keeping their fingers crossed it’ll all work out.🤞= always a hallmark of a great program!

*If I’m Zach I’m thinking:

Screw the Jets and the hater fans & media segment. I was drafted in to a totally dysfunctional offensive operation. I always had dogs—t players and offensive coaches to work with. Arguably the NFL’s worst environment for a top draft pick QB to develop.

So f—k all y’all. I’m outta here. I possess elite physical talent. Obviously I must improve a ton processing the NFL game. Maybe I never will. But I know I never will in this broken environment.

Also one thing lost in Zach’s ignominious Jets tenure: he’s got more to his personality than what we’ve seen of him here. Years ago I saw portions of several interviews before he set foot in 1 Jets Drive. He was self deprecating, funny and personable. He came off likable. This team and offense - and to be sure his wretched play - destroyed his likability here.

Zach will be stocking the shelves at ShopRite in 2 years. Not a NFL qb.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Zach will be stocking the shelves at ShopRite in 2 years. Not a NFL qb.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Zach Wilson will be handing out a lot of them in 2 years. As a cashier lol .

Right, because that's what young millionaires that also have rich parents do.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

48 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

His uncle is the big bread winner of the fam. Suppose zach could wash 1 of his cars. His dad owns some little gas stations/ convenience stores. Maybe he will take over 1 of them. Be owner operator. Packing shelves and pumping gas. A “ dual threat”  we all thought he would become.. 

This team had a really good shot of being a playoff team this season.  The fact that they didn’t have a capable back up QB on the roster is an indictment on JD, the coaching staff, and the organization.  If this clown of an owner had a say on this, then shame on him.  The goal should be to win at all costs.  This organization didn’t put this team in the best position to do so.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

His uncle is the big bread winner of the fam. Suppose zach could wash 1 of his cars. His dad owns some little gas stations/ convenience stores. Maybe he will take over 1 of them. Be owner operator. Packing shelves and pumping gas. A “ dual threat”  we all thought he would become.. 

What part of Zach is a rich man do you not understand?

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

What part of Zach is a rich man do you not understand?

He is now. Won’t last long. Mommy and daddy wont let him hang out at home at sleep with grandmas. His pathetic arse will have to work just like the rest of us. Transitioning to Coaching is obviously not in the cards for him lol. 

• Haha 1