Chargers clean house, coach and GM fired

Rhg1084

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Huge problem for anyone that wants to fire Saleh is that the Jets job would immediately become the least desirable opening in the league.

Maybe I'm a delusional homer, but how would the Jets job anywhere near the worst job available (assuming we have a new GM)? I don't see how it's possibly worse than the Commanders, for example. 

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we keep JD (without extending him) and it's clear that he has 1 year to get the ship righted or else it's a house cleaning then I agree with you.   No HC of value would want to step into that situation when they know the whole thing could blow up in a year.  

If Saleh ever goes, JD should go, as well. 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Maybe I'm a delusional homer, but how would the Jets job anywhere near the worst job available (assuming we have a new GM)? I don't see how it's possibly worse than the Commanders, for example. 

Woody is cheap, meddling, and you have to bend the knee to a fading Rodgers while maintaining a top three defense

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

well for one your forced to keep Hackett. so as a new HC you have no say in the OC. plus if you want an OC/HC there is no way there letting anyone run there offense.

it might work for a DC/HC but then you might as well keep Saleh if your going to do that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Woody is cheap, meddling, and you have to bend the knee to a fading Rodgers while maintaining a top three defense

I won't revisit the Woody stuff here other than to say that I think it's overstated. 

But, IDK, if I were an offensive coach with confidence, I would be pretty excited to inherit an Aaron Rogers, Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, and an elite defense on paper. Saleh himself has said a monkey can call his defense. You couldn't hire a coordinator who runs a similar scheme to get 85% of what Saleh gets out of it? 

I think it comes down to what you think of a 40 year old Aaron Rodgers and what you think of your new GM's ability to draft a young QB (which is a total crapshoot, anyway). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

well for one your forced to keep Hackett. so as a new HC you have no say in the OC. plus if you want an OC/HC there is no way there letting anyone run there offense.

it might work for a DC/HC but then you might as well keep Saleh if your going to do that.

If it's an offensive HC:

I'm assuming if you blew everything up that Rodgers would have to acccept the fact that the new offensive coach is going to call the plays or at least hand pick his own OC. 

If it's a defensive HC (not my preference):

If Rodgers is healthy, Hackett is largely irrelevant. Rodgers won back to back MVPs with Hackett. 

If Rodgers is healthy, he's going to do whatever he wants at the LOS with Hackett here, anyway. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I won't revisit the Woody stuff here other than to say that I think it's overstated. 

But, IDK, if I were an offensive coach with confidence, I would be pretty excited to inherit an Aaron Rogers, Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, and an elite defense on paper. Saleh himself has said a monkey can call his defense. You couldn't hire a coordinator who runs a similar scheme to get 85% of what Saleh gets out of it? 

I think it comes down to what you think of a 40 year old Aaron Rodgers and what you think of your new GM's ability to draft a young QB (which is a total crapshoot, anyway). 

Yeah, but that’s too many variables, and the Woody stuff is very much out there. Would you rather take the Pats job with Kraft and Drake Maye? The Chargers job with Herbert? The Bears job with Caleb Williams? The Commanders coach is going to get paid by Josh Harris, who’s patiently overseen the build up of the Sixers. Maybe a worse job is Carolina, because Tepper is insane and Bryce Young probably sucks. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Has there EVER been any sort of confirmation to Woody's interference? Like through real reporters? (Manish does not fit this bill). 

Hell I dont even think he pushed for Tebow. I think that was Mikey T flailing to save his own job like an armless kid in a pool. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but that’s too many variables, and the Woody stuff is very much out there. Would you rather take the Pats job with Kraft and Drake Maye? The Chargers job with Herbert? The Bears job with Caleb Williams? The Commanders coach is going to get paid by Josh Harris, who’s patiently overseen the build up of the Sixers. Maybe a worse job is Carolina, because Tepper is insane and Bryce Young probably sucks. 

If the Pats get a top two pick, I agree, but remember that Kraft is 82 and has very high expectations. I don't think that's a slam dunk job. I also think they have the worst roster in the division and are desperate for young stars on offense. 

The Chargers would easily be my top choice because Herbert is an established dude in the prime of his career. 

The Bears would be my second choice because of Caleb Williams and a second top 10 pick. Although - Are they definitely firing their coach? I've heard mixed things. 

The Commanders -  I don't see at all. Josh Harris? Ok. The Sixers haven't really won anything. IDK, I don't see how that job is very appealing. If I were a coach, I'd be more interested in the Jets young talent. And the Panthers is a bad job on paper unless you believe in Bryce Young. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Has there EVER been any sort of confirmation to Woody's interference? Like through real reporters? (Manish does not fit this bill). 

Hell I dont even think he pushed for Tebow. I think that was Mikey T flailing to save his own job like an armless kid in a pool. 

There was a lot of smoke that he was a major meddler in the early to mid 2000s. It has been widely reported that he pushed the Favre move and fired Mangini (who didn't want Favre initially) after promising he wouldn't when it all fell apart, for example. 

I don't think there is much to support the notion that he's forcing Joe Douglas to do anything these days. My impression is that Douglas has run the show since he got here. 

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yea, Mike T has publicly fallen on the sword for the Tebow move. I'm sure Woody was all in, though. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah he is not good.... but

Injured or not Carr, plus Broderick Jones, plus jayden Reed, plus another WR this year in the 2nd round or a young QB plus no cobb, lazard, turner, boyle, hacektt and a bunch of cap space is

>>>>

Our new scout team LB we are counting on being a pro bowl level qb for maybe a year or two at 40 coming off a down year with no oline.

Well played

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If it's an offensive HC:

I'm assuming if you blew everything up that Rodgers would have to acccept the fact that the new offensive coach is going to call the plays or at least hand pick his own OC. 

If it's a defensive HC (not my preference):

If Rodgers is healthy, Hackett is largely irrelevant. Rodgers won back to back MVPs with Hackett. 

If Rodgers is healthy, he's going to do whatever he wants at the LOS with Hackett here, anyway. 

Rodgers is the key. 

if you blow it up and get rid of Hackett you know Woody will give Rodgers a big say in the HC. 

Rodgers hand picked Hackett, Cobb, Boyle...etc.. do you trust his hand picked HC will be any good? and that guy will be so appreciative of Rodgers getting him the job he will never tell him no.

i know Saleh and JD did the same but after the garbage Rodgers made us sign this year i think they will be more tougher and not just sign anyone he wants. 

if you really want a OC/HC this is not the year for this. you want to give him a fair shot to run this like he wants with no influence from Rodgers on personal and schemes. 

Rodgers handpicked this OC, HC and GM. they got one year left might as well run it back and blow it up next year.

plus everyone assumes that Ulrich will stay but i cant remember the last time a new HC kept the last OC or DC. a new DC might want to change things up and it might take a transitional period to make that change. 

thats a lot of change for a SB run. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Woody is stupid, difficult and wants to be shadow GM/coach.  That’s why no legit coaches are coming here

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is ironic considering Jim Jones got people to believe stuff based off of very little but percieved belief and little data. 

15 years of the jets making boneheaded draft, free agency and trades is plenty of evidence.  Woody even said it himself when he got his made up job as UK Ambassador he was stepping away from football operations and letting his even more mentally challenged brother take over

47 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

15 years of the jets making boneheaded draft, free agency and trades is plenty of evidence.  Woody even said it himself when he got his made up job as UK Ambassador he was stepping away from football operations and letting his even more mentally challenged brother take over

Lots of assumptions there. 

On 12/15/2023 at 12:14 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

What an opening for a hc.  I think Bellichek goes there.  HE will be great fixing that D and with herbert as qb.

I could see bill getting 1 more super bowl w/ herbert before it is all said and done.

The Chargers won't pay him what he's worth.  BB is going to get serious money or call it a day.  

They'll go the Jets route and hire an up and  coming future DC. 

On 12/15/2023 at 6:48 PM, Beerfish said:

Yeah he is not good.... but

Injured or not Carr, plus Broderick Jones, plus jayden Reed, plus another WR this year in the 2nd round or a young QB plus no cobb, lazard, turner, boyle, hacektt and a bunch of cap space is

>>>>

Our new scout team LB we are counting on being a pro bowl level qb for maybe a year or two at 40 coming off a down year with no oline.

This is it. Carr is looking like a really poor investment, but it was never Rodgers vs. Carr. It was Rodgers vs. Carr + all the sh*t we gave up to get Rodgers.

• Upvote 2

This had to happen. Staley is a defensive minded head coach, yet rolled out some of the worst defenses in the NFL. Those chargers offenses for the first 3 years of Herbert’s career were very good but the defense couldn’t stop a nose bleed. It’s not for lack of talent either, the chargers have had some guys. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is it. Carr is looking like a really poor investment, but it was never Rodgers vs. Carr. It was Rodgers vs. Carr + all the sh*t we gave up to get Rodgers.

Meh, you're making the right move or you're making the wrong move. Thus far both were wrong moves, but I understand going for the gold instead of going for the bronze. 

I am not lamenting the Jets not locking into 3 seasons of Derek Carr, who's sucked despite more favorable everything in New Orleans:

• multiple receivers, compared to the Jets 1 
  • better OL play (less than half the percentage of dropbacks under pressure than Jets' QBs have endured)
  • better run support (Kamara + Hill >>>>>> Breece + Cook + MC1)
  • never plays in the rain with slippery balls (giggity) at home games
  • plays in the weakest division in football

With all that he still has a pathetic 13 TDs in 13 games, and only just got 2 of them last week against the f'ing Panthers. 

Also he's a mental mush who apparently goes into sulk mode when any film critiquing him is done in front of the team (like they do for everyone else who plays). He's was much a fit for NY as was Zach Wilson, or Darnold before him. Basically if you wanted a redo without trading for Rodgers it'd be to heavily invest in neither, not split hairs over which bad investment was nominally better.

As things look today, heading into next season I'd still rather have Rodgers minus a pair of 2nd rounders than Carr with those picks that likely would've been inconsequential anyway.

If it's all about the hindsight of Broderick Jones over McDonald - a player I'm still unconvinced they select even if they were still at 14 - then go full hindsight: they could've moved up for a 4th themselves if they were truly dead-set on drafting him. So far no 4th rounder has been good anyway, and just one WR has been a wow pick for all of day 3, and he was also still there for them if he was even on the Jets' radar (not that the Jets need a WR or anything). It seemed their board was McD > Mayer > Jones, which is why - with everyone knowing Pittsburgh wanted to draft a tackle - he made no effort to move up to either NE or GB even as he casually predicted it'd happen before it did. Incidentally, it's just as damning that his 2nd rated player would've been Mayer; not only was he & McDonald ahead of Jones, but both of the TEs actually taken between McDonald and Mayer are so far crushing it as rookies. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2023 at 6:16 PM, JTJet said:

What are you talking about? Woody is the senior most executive in a bankrupt company. He is responsible for all decisions because,even if he doesn’t issue a direct order, he selects those that do. The Jets suck because Woody sucks.

• Upvote 1