ESPN says Jets sign Trey Teague to a 2- year deal

lawngnome o-line

Versitile O-lineman who has started all but 4 games since being named a starter by Denver in 01..nice signing for an early 30's O-lineman. Old? Depends on what you consider old. IMO 32 is fine. Now if he were 32 with a 7 year deal that would be another thing.

To me it means they are still taking Mangold @ 35.

More like at 29.

Still, this move was a fail safe...

This way should Lienert fall to #4:

• we take Leinert - If D'Brick is gone

If Leinert goes prior to #4:

• we take D'Brick - If Mario is gone
  • we take Mario - If D'Brick is gone

If we can get a trade, we don't loose...

Makes Sence. Good Job Mike!

More like at 29.

Still, this move was a fail safe...

This way should Lienert fall to #4:

• we take Leinert - If D'Brick is gone

If Leinert goes prior to #4:

• we take D'Brick - If Mario is gone
  • we take Mario - If D'Brick is gone

If we can get a trade, we don't loose...

Makes Sence. Good Job Mike!

Ok, so the Jets are going to spend First Round money on Nick Mangold to back-up Trey Teague for the next two years. I dunno about that.

Teague is an effective and experienced Center The contract is also very reasonable at 2 years. I have to say this is a very good move.

Draft Mike Degory or Pat Ross in Round 4 and let one of those guys learn behind Teague for the next two years. They are both going to be solid players and will cost a lot less than Nick Mangold.

Don't forget the Jets also have Norm Katnik, C who the Jets got off of the 49er practice squad. I think he's playing in NFLE, but I'm not sure.

theres no way there gonna draft a C...with trey and KATNIK...they are very high on Katnik...

Don't forget the Jets also have Norm Katnik, C who the Jets got off of the 49er practice squad. I think he's playing in NFLE, but I'm not sure.

Actually its Charles Missant another Center on the roster that is

playing in NFLE for Frankfurt I believe.

Interesting to see if they still go after Mangold or one of the other high

rated Centers.

Fits the pattern of relatively low key signings- we needed another experienced offensive lineman - Teague can play center or fill in at another position

Cardinal rule of successful football teams:

Thou can not have enough depth on the OLine and DLine.

Another very good pick-up for the Jets.

This crap is starting to get scary.:eek:

What if Mangold is still sitting there at #29 or #36?

I don't think Mangini would pass on him.

Few teams may trade for him.. Jets dont need to draft another C unless Mangini and his staffs are not satisfied with katnik or missant's developmental process..

Great / awesome signing. 2 year deal for a 32 year old C whose been around the league and definitely has a lot of skill. I liked Teague a lot in Buffalo and I'm happy to have him. Shows that now our C problems are filled with Teague and Katnick (since the coaching staff loves The Big K so much). It's either D'Brickashaw, Leinart or Cutler at 4 and at 29 / 35, who the hell knows.

JETS SIGN C TREY TEAGUE TO A 2 YEAR DEAL

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

The New York Jets, who last month released six-time Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae for salary cap reasons, on Wednesday found his replacement, reaching agreement with unrestricted free agent Trey Teague on a two-year contract.

The durable Teague started at center for the Buffalo Bills in each of the past four seasons. His addition fills a huge void for the Jets, who did not have a proven center on the roster except for veteran Pete Kendall, a more natural guard who has started at the latter position for New York since 2004.

Contract details on Teague's two-year deal were not yet available. But landing Teague, who visited with Jets officials recently, is certainly a major step toward solidifying the line.

Teague, 31, is a tough interior blocker, a solid technician and a savvy player who can make all of the blocking calls for the revamped Jets line. Given his experience and ability, it was somewhat surprising that Buffalo did not try harder to retain him, but the Bills wanted to go younger at the position. Most observers felt Teague was the best remaining lineman in the much-diluted unrestricted pool.

In his four seasons with the Bills, the eight-year veteran missed only four starts, all in '04 when he suffered a strained left knee.

A former University of Tennessee star, Teague entered the league as a seventh-round choice of the Denver Broncos in the 1998 draft.

Buffalo coaches were initially uncertain where Teague would play but moved him to center in mini-camps, and he became a fixture there. Because of his experience at tackle, Teague is regarded as one of the best pass-blocking centers in the league.

Teague has appeared in 94 games and started 80 of them.

Ok, so the Jets are going to spend First Round money on Nick Mangold to back-up Trey Teague for the next two years. I dunno about that.

Teague is an effective and experienced Center The contract is also very reasonable at 2 years. I have to say this is a very good move.

Draft Mike Degory or Pat Ross in Round 4 and let one of those guys learn behind Teague for the next two years. They are both going to be solid players and will cost a lot less than Nick Mangold.

You know that Mangold would be making a fraction of what Teague is making right? I don't think the "first round" money thing is a big deal. I suppose Degory would cost less, although i don't think he makes it past the third round, but it's basically spending a nickel on a cheaper candy instead of a dime on better candy when you have $20 to spend. You are not going to notice those 5c, but you will notice the difference in quality.

Flexibility is the name of the game and the reigning theme for the jets new regime.

Matt Chatham can play inside and outside linebacker as well as special teams. Same story with Brad Kassell.

Tim Dwight returns kicks, punts and can play WR. Trey Teague can play center and guard.

Kimo Von Oelhoffen can play DT in The 4-3, DE in The 3-4 or NT in either The 4-3 or 3-4. He's done all of these things and has done them well.

Even a guy like Monsanto Pope. Can play DT in The 4-3 as he did in Denver, Can play DE and NT in The 3-4 as he did at Virginia with Al Groh.

The Jets also have options and flexibility in the draft.

They don't have to take a QB early because they have Pennington and Ramsey. They still might but they don't have to.

The Jets don't have to go DE with Ellis and Von Oelhoffen but they still might.(Mario Williams anyone?)

I figure that The Jets have 4 starters on their offensive line as of today, Pete Kendall, Brandon Moore, Adrian Jones and Trey Teague. Nothing is set in stone but all 4 of these guys could be starting in 2006. The question remains as to who will be #5.I expect atleast one of The Jets first three picks to be an offensive lineman. Probably an OT.

Don't be fooled however by free agent signings. The team philosophy is to double and triple up at all positions. I can already list 5 players who may play inside linebacker next year in Vilma, Hobson, Barton, Kassel and Chatham.

By the time, Mangini is done. You won't even have to list positions for players. It will just be OP and DP. Offensive and Defensive Player and even that may not be needed. We are talking about a guy who has 3 championships from a regime that played WR's at DB and LB's at FB and TE.

Without sgining Teague, the Jets have a bullseye on their back as being "a team in need of a center". Anyone drafting after number 29 knows to jump in front of us for Mangold. As it sits now, we have flexibility in the draft. I would not cast aside the idea of drafting Mangold (or any other C). He is a good interior lineman and it is not unheard of to bring a guy like that in to play guard for a couple of years and make the switch after he learns the game. Remember our flexibility and versatility mantra from management.

Teague does alot for us...which I don't know has been mentioned on this board. He played LT for the first 4 years of his career. So if for some reason we can't get brick at 4, and we can get mangold...we can judge how ready mangold would be for the season. If he's good to start, teague could bump out to LT and play there. Kendall does not even need to worry about playing center and can go back to his natural guard position.

If we get brick...I see no need to grab mangold, we have young talent at center that need time to develop, and there are many other people availiable in later rounds at the center position. At 29 you may be able to find a steal or something solid. My choice is Lendale because he is dropping for bs reasons. He's a early first rounder dropping to the end of the first. If he can get past Carolina at 27 we should pick him up .

Everyone talks about his weight being up, he is still under what he ran at for the Championship game. He reported to pro day at 247, he ran in the Rose Bowl and 255. Does anyone remember how he did then?

20 rushes for 124 averaging 6.2 yards per carry.

Here's the big one for those who love their power rushers 3 Touchdowns. If you want to call him slow and weak look how he did against the Longhorns Defense on the biggest stage. He's not a flop, he's the real deal.

Everyone talks about his weight being up, he is still under what he ran at for the Championship game. He reported to pro day at 247, he ran in the Rose Bowl and 255. Does anyone remember how he did then?

20 rushes for 124 averaging 6.2 yards per carry.

Here's the big one for those who love their power rushers 3 Touchdowns. If you want to call him slow and weak look how he did against the Longhorns Defense on the biggest stage. He's not a flop, he's the real deal.

You gotta love these people who don't want Lendale White because he weighed 6 lbs over his listed weight on the Pro Day. I like to judge players by what they do on the field and if Lendale is 260 lbs and has an excellent game in the Rose Bowl I say keep putting on the weight and keep mowing over those linebackers and safeties.

Archived