Who sits behind Rogers next season

SoJetsy

1 minute ago, football guy said:

You and @Matt39 need to get a room lol

I am not doubting you’ve got good contacts dude. I just think you’re peddling Jets PR stuff. Zach’s performance on the field would have him as a fringe NFL player. Woody making decisions above the GM predates Joe Douglas. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It needs to be someone on that list for sure. We can't repeat this season.

The reason they weren’t here this season is because—besides being better players than Zach Wilson—they’re all respected and beloved in whatever locker room they walk into. Zach Wilson wouldn’t survive five seconds as a starter in the event Rodgers went down. There’d have been a mutiny. And that’s how you ended up with Tim Boyle and Trevor Siemian.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I have zero allegiance to those that run the team. I gave up my season tickets this year because I’m disgusted with the product. It’s a matter of understanding the game, listening to what people in the know have to say, and trying to rationalize the “why” behind their decisions. By no means am I blindly agreeing or sticking up for Saleh, Douglas, Woody, or anyone else who runs the team.

I actually believe you, and your line of thought / reasoning as to what the idiots in charge are likely thinking is probably closer to reality than what seems to be a common sense approach in the eyes of outside observers who have no skin in the game.

It’s just sad.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I have zero allegiance to those that run the team. I gave up my season tickets this year because I’m disgusted with the product. It’s a matter of understanding the game, listening to what people in the know have to say, and trying to rationalize the “why” behind their decisions. By no means am I blindly agreeing with or sticking up for Saleh, Douglas, Woody, or anyone else who runs the team.

I think your contacts you have report to Woody, directly or indirectly, hence the issue with their info. Under no circumstance should Zach be back on the roster of it were just about football. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The reason they weren’t here this season is because—besides being better players than Zach Wilson—they’re all respected and beloved in whatever locker room they walk into. Zach Wilson wouldn’t survive five seconds as a starter in the event Rodgers went down. There’d have been a mutiny. And that’s how you ended up with Tim Boyle and Trevor Siemian.

Nonsense, you are letting the brain trust off the hook with this.

Zach was here becasue Douglas wanted to with a faint hope reclaim him or at least boost trade value, it was a stupid and ill fated move but douglas assumed rodgers would not get hurt.

Boyle was #3 becasue he is a green bay buddy and Rodgers and Hackett run this team in all personnel decisions.

5 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Brissett

Minshew

Tyrod Taylor

5 hours ago, GreenFish said:

In order of preference

1) Ryan Tannehill

2) Joshua Dobbs

3) Gardner Minshew

The budget should be $10m. We cant afford a bad backup QB.

Oh, ohhh...I know this one!

Name 5 guys that Joe Douglas will never sign as backup QBs, but may own a five guys franchise.

Did I win Jets Jeopardy?!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I didn't say they would get someone for 5 million. But they have to get someone.

Brisset signed for like 8 million this year.

Tyrods Average value isn't crazy.

Douglas and Saleh have millions of dollars riding on next season. Playoffs and their life is good.

They might get fired but it won't be for making the same mistake they made this year.

Even if we budget $8-10 million, point I’m driving is that I don’t know who will want to sign here. Brissett has chased opportunities where he has a chance to start. Tyrod has no experience in this WCO and is not much better than what we already have. Tannehill may not want to come here/continue playing.

Sure on paper it’s easy but we’re failing to recognize what the players themselves will want to do, plus also have to consider the money they will be trying to invest in a WR and OL help. It’s not so simple

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Even if we budget $8-10 million, point I’m driving is that I don’t know who will want to sign here. Brissett has chased opportunities where he has a chance to start. Tyrod has no experience in this WCO and is not much better than what we already have. Tannehill may not want to come here/continue playing.

Sure on paper it’s easy but we’re failing to recognize what the players themselves will want to do, plus also have to consider the money they will be trying to invest in a WR and OL help. It’s not so simple

I understand what you are saying but the chance to play for Hackett is a major selling point lol.

Really though, you have a great shot to play if you're a backup. 40 year old, major injury, win now defense. Good skill guys.

It's a good opportunity.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, football guy said:

He won’t be cut. He’ll have a trade market and my guess is he’d wind up with a team like DEN, PHI, SF, KC, MIN as their primary backup (or competing to start in DEN) but we’d be taking on a $5m hit. So as you’re alluding to, we would be paying a guy $5-8m plus taking on the dead cap hit. 

Ultimately I expect them to mutually make a decision to move on, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Rodgers tries to mend the fences and move forward with the original plan.

You think a bunch of good teams like you listed would want to have Wilson as their back up after watching him be the worst qb in football for 3 years?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Because you don’t go into the season expecting to lose your starting QB. And if JD/Rodgers got their way, they would argue that Zach performed just as you would expect a backup to perform given the circumstances, would have another year under his belt in the system, still growing as a player, etc. 

Money allocation is a real thing, and it’s very uncommon to roster expensive backups who are capable starting QBs behind expensive starters. Those players often sign with teams where there’s a chance at competing for a starting job or with teams who have cheap starting QBs. 

It’s likely moot point because I expect a mutual parting of the ways, but fans should be prepared to be underwhelmed whoever the backup winds up being… Brissett and Tannehill will have other options, so it wouldn’t shock me one bit if Rypein wound up the backup.

This is 100% my thinking as well. Rodgers committing to multiple years with the Jets has made it less likely Brissett, Minshew, or QBs of that caliber want to come here because there isn't a future in the near future. By that same token, I think Zach will be more attractive than that next tier of backup, purely cause of his familiarity with everything and his upside.

Rodgers commitment also makes Zach look more attractive in a trade since it sort of looks like we are moving him due to committing to Rodgers instead of trading Zach cause he's been bad or disgruntled.

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I understand what you are saying but the chance to play for Hackett is a major selling point lol.

Really though, you have a great shot to play if you're a backup. 40 year old, major injury, win now defense. Good skill guys.

It's a good opportunity.

Agree to disagree. From my point of view, the frindge starters will not want to come here to be Aaron’s backup unless they’re being overpaid. Additionally, I really don’t think we’d have a different result if guys like Brissett or Tannehill were our QB right now. It’s no different than Flacco last year- the fan base was screaming for him to come out of the lineup, but in retrospect the real reason he couldn’t perform was because of the offensive line. Now he’s on a linsanity run, putting up bonkers numbers off his couch, leading the Browns to the playoffs.

I understand why it’s a hot button issue and understand why the backup is so important, but I also look around the league and realize that the best backup QBs aren’t necessarily “name” guys- they are players who are with a program for a number of years and have mastered their offensive system, or fit perfectly within that system. Throwing money at a guy is not necessarily going to reap any reward

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Agree to disagree. From my point of view, the frindge starters will not want to come here to be Aaron’s backup unless they’re being overpaid. Additionally, I really don’t think we’d have a different result if guys like Brissett or Tannehill were our QB right now. It’s no different than Flacco last year- the fan base was screaming for him to come out of the lineup, but in retrospect the real reason he couldn’t perform was because of the offensive line. Now he’s on a linsanity run, putting up bonkers numbers off his couch, leading the Browns to the playoffs.

I understand why it’s a hot button issue and understand why the backup is so important, but I also look around the league and realize that the best backup QBs aren’t necessarily “name” guys- they are players who are with a program for a number of years and have mastered their offensive system, or fit perfectly within that system. Throwing money at a guy is not necessarily going to reap any reward

Well this all assumes they finally replace Corey Davis and the offensive line is revamped.

Woody is good at winning the off-season. That is how they sell a backup.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, football guy said:

A legit backup QB is vastly more important than a guy like mosley and Bryce Huff.   Money should be no excuse at all.

People will be enraged by my take but tough it is the truth with a 40 year old QB and the way this team has operated this year.

Just now, bitonti said:

Yup they love him 

They will point to his modest improvement and the Texans 2nd half and write this fairy tale story how he's doing great 

If they had any intention of keeping him he would be playing the last couple of games.

They talked him into coming back to play after the boyle debacle and promised to trade him.   He will be gone.

• Upvote 2

It really depends on what Rodgers thinks. Does he want a backup QB? Will he sign off on it? I’m not so sure the Jets will have a backup next year, since it’s all about Rodgers.

Really makes you think… who’s running this team? Seems like old wrinkled achilles boy is. Same old Jets 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If they had any intention of keeping him he would be playing the last couple of games.

They talked him into coming back to play after the boyle debacle and promised to trade him.   He will be gone.

He can't play he's in hydration protocol 

Obviously hope he gets traded but it's like a nightmare that you can't wake up from.

He's not darnold. He's more like jamarcus Russell at this point. it's hard to see anyone wanting him as qb 3 on that contract so they have to pay part of his salary to trade him for peanuts plus the 5m dead cap from a trade

they might just say screw it and keep him. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well this all assumes they finally replace Corey Davis and the offensive line is revamped.

Woody is good at winning the off-season. That is how they sell a backup.

No offense, but to this day I can’t understand the love for Corey Davis.

Sure, he seemed like one of the nicer guys in the league, but it never amounted to any kind of tangible production or difference-making talent on the field.

For every positive thing he ever did, it felt like there were at least 2 negatives, an ugly drop at the most inopportune time, the fumble in the MW Buffalo game, always getting injured, etc. and then ultimately straight-up walking away from his teammates and from the organization that ponied up to pay him what nobody else would…

• Upvote 2

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

To this day I can’t understand the love for Corey Davis.

Sure, he seemed like one of the nicer guys in the league, but it never amounted to any kind of production or difference making on the field.

For every positive thing he ever did, it felt like there were at least 2 negatives, and ugly drop, the fumble in the MW Buffalo game, always getting injured, etc. and then ultimately straight-up walking away from his teammates and from the organization that ponied up to pay him what nobody else would…

Corey Davis’ main value to this roster would have been in keeping Lazard at #3 and keeping Randall Cobb off the field entirely.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Corey Davis’ main value to this roster would have been in keeping Lazard at #3 and keeping Randall Cobb off the field entirely.

I am still waiting for one of our ace jets reporters to actually dig into this and find out the real reason Davis packed it in.

I still think it is becasue he saw the jets bring in a guy like Lazard, hand him the #2 wr job and then Douglas tried to make him take a pay cut.

He said, screw it you are jacking me around I'll make it easy for you.

Until I hear otherwise that is my scenario.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I am still waiting for one of our ace jets reporters to actually dig into this and find out the real reason Davis packed it in.

I still think it is becasue he saw the jets bring in a guy like Lazard, hand him the #2 wr job and then Douglas tried to make him take a pay cut.

He said, screw it you are jacking me around I'll make it easy for you.

Until I hear otherwise that is my scenario.

It’s possible, but everyone around the Jets made it sound like it was a serious personal issue. If it was about the pay cut/disrespect, I think Davis would have just refused to renegotiate and ended up on the Chiefs or wherever.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s possible, but everyone around the Jets made it sound like it was a serious personal issue. If it was about the pay cut/disrespect, I think Davis would have just refused to renegotiate and ended up on the Chiefs or wherever.

Well the jets would that ti be the scenario, personal issue.

Davis is a bit of a different dude.

• Upvote 1