Rapoport: Jets Expected to Trade Zach Wilson This Offseason

Basically when you read about Zach and listen to the football experts talk about him almost all you hear is that he sucks. That's the opinion on ZW around the league. So his trade value isn't zero but it's low and probably a conditional pick with new team not picking up any of his salary. They pick up league minimum Jets pay the rest. But good chance they release him. 

On 1/7/2024 at 1:38 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep good chance they eat some of it but it won’t/can’t be all of it. His new team still has to pay him at least the minimum salary he’s due. They may have to eat his $4.4MM roster bonus, though, and take a pick in 2025’s draft.

We’ll see. Most/all of us are on board with any deal they get, so long as something  gets done.

His new team will pick him up after he's released

41 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

His 5 mil 2024 salary isn't that high for a backup with 32 starts and he has an upside. But teams might not want to pick up that contract and could wait for him to be released because they know he's a goner here. He's much more attractive to a team with an under 2 financial obligation. Doubtful that there's high interest for Zach. 

holy mother of Jesus

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is certainly feasible, imo.  I'll be very interested to see what becomes of the rest of his career.  I think the main thing for him right now is to go to the right franchise.  One with a good HC, OC and weapinzz.  

I think the only thing that will shy away teams is if there is any truth that he took himself out of games because he was getting battered so much.  Frankly I don’t blame him but he also needs to stay in and do the best he can.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I always felt like the biggest problem with ZW was his slow processing speed rather than his accuracy. Sure, he struggled with accuracy at times but it was the holding onto the ball to long thing that really made him the worst QB I've ever seen play football at any level and made me throw up in my mouth and sometimes have explosive diarrhea.

He never should have started as a rookie. He was overwhelmed by the speed of the game. It made him Question his own abilities which led to his indecisiveness.couple that with a weak offensive line, and you have a QB, who never had a chance to settle down, and develop.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

holy mother of 

If you look honestly at the stats, no other QB, has performed at a higher level than Wilson the last three years. Including Mike White. White had one good game, that was against the Bengals.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

If you look honestly at the stats, no other QB, has performed at a higher level than Wilson the last three years. Including Mike White. White had one good game, that was against the Bengals.

every other bad qb the Jets trotted out, with the notable exception of the immortal Tim Boyle, out performed Wilson over the last 3 years. White, Flacco, Josh Johnson and Semian. He's one of the worst to ever do it. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

every other bad qb the Jets trotted out, with the notable exception of the immortal Tim Boyle, out performed Wilson over the last 3 years. White, Flacco, Josh Johnson and Semian. He's one of the worst to ever do it. 

Lol. Please. Check the stats, and win loss record of those Qb's when they started here.

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, genot said:

Just stop man . I honestly look at the stats and see a sh*tty QB in every single metric its not even a question. Zach needs a pocket like he had at BYU where he could stand back there vs borderline division 2 schools and scan the field for 4 seconds with no worries and those days are long gone in the NFL the way defenses define the pass rush these days. Zach Wilson can not in any way shape or form play the QB position with a 2-3 second window he can not process information at that speed and he will never be able to process at that speed.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Just stop man . I honestly look at the stats and see a sh*tty QB in every single metric its not even a question. Zach needs a pocket like he had at BYU where he could stand back there vs borderline division 2 schools and scan the field for 4 seconds with no worries and those days are long gone in the NFL the way defenses define the pass rush these days. Zach Wilson can not in any way shape or form play the QB position with a 2-3 second window he can not process information at that speed and he will never be able to process at that speed.

Why not. He's stupid. That's what QB developing is about. Something the Jets don't know how to do. Your post makes my point.He never should have started his rookie season. He wasn't ready. Andy Reid felt the same way about Mahomes. Sat him for a year, behind a competent veteran QB. We should have done the same. 

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Why not. He's stupid. That's what QB developing is about. Something the Jets don't know how to do. Your post makes my point.He never should have started his rookie season. He wasn't ready. Andy Reid felt the same way about Mahomes. Sat him for a year, behind a competent veteran QB. We should have done the same. 

would have made no difference Wilson is not an NFL QB. I'm not sure how I made your point as you describe it . Mu message is simple Zach Wilson is a terrible QB and always will be a terrible QB

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

would have made no difference Wilson is not an NFL QB. I'm not sure how I made your point as you describe it . Mu message is simple Zach Wilson is a terrible QB and always will be a terrible QB

If your offensive line stinks. If your olay calling stinks. If your wide receiver group stinks. Guess what, your Qb is gonna stink.

• More Ugh 1

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

His new team will pick him up after he's released

Could be, but if it came to that it'd be cheaper to trade some future 7th and get him for $1MM.

It's the kind of pick surrendered that could be recouped by dropping down insignificantly in round 6.

It's more than nothing for Douglas, and - for any team that really wants him - while Zach won't cost several million, the $1MM is still probably less than he'll get as a FA and then they take chance / player decision out of the mix.

I still think someone will give up something more than a 7th him, but it may have to be after they pay his roster bonus. Not that I'd put money on it either way ;)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, genot said:

lol not even close.  Non-Wilson QBs averaged nearly 100 more yards per game and a higher PPG from 2021-22.  And White had two great games for an NFL QB standards when compared to Zach:  Bengals & Bears (‘22). 

Zach was better than Tim Boyle in ‘23.  Awesome!  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol not even close.  Non-Wilson QBs averaged nearly 100 more yards per game and a higher PPG from 2021-22.  And White had two great games for an NFL QB standards when compared to Zach:  Bengals & Bears (‘22). 

Zach was better than Tim Boyle in ‘23.  Awesome!  

Mike White was 2-6 as a starter for Jets. Threw 8 tds and 12 interceptions. He stunk, as much as Zach stunk  Same can be said for Flacco. 

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, genot said:

Mike White was 2-6 as a starter for Jets. Threw 8 tds and 12 interceptions. He stunk, as much as Zach stunk  Same can be said for Flacco. 

And yet they all produced more points, which is what matters most for a QB, no? 

White, Flacco and Josh Johnson were all more productive in their time under center than Zach Wilson, and that's quite sad, as Joe Douglas intentionally left the depth chart behind Zach cheap/weak in order to hand Zach the unquestioned QB1 job.

Just stop.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet they all produced more points, which is what matters most for a QB, no? 

White, Flacco and Josh Johnson were all more productive in their time under center than Zach Wilson, and that's quite sad, as Joe Douglas intentionally left the depth chart behind Zach cheap/weak in order to hand Zach the unquestioned QB1 job.

Just stop.

What did we talk about. Before the Wilson draft. Remember my position on Wilson. He was drafted too high, and never should have been the starter his rookie season. He wasn't ready. That's on the Jets, not Wilson. He was a boom or bust prospect, who was almost guaranteed to bust being drafted by the Jets.

13 minutes ago, genot said:

What did we talk about. Before the Wilson draft. Remember my position on Wilson. He was drafted too high, and never should have been the starter his rookie season. He wasn't ready. That's on the Jets, not Wilson. He was a boom or bust prospect, who was almost guaranteed to bust being drafted by the Jets.

Then stop fighting me on this lol

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then stop fighting me on this lol

I'm not. I don't think it's fair to compare what Flacco did as a 10 year veteran with the Jets to a rookie QB, who played his football at BYU. 

Sorry if this has been mentioned here already, but when Rodgers was asked about Zach coming back, he said that he wants what is best for Zach and talked about a change of scenery being a breath of fresh air (much like it was for him coming to the Jets). 

I think that was pretty telling as it pertains to where this thing is headed. Zach Wilson expects to be gone. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, genot said:

I'm not. I don't think it's fair to compare what Flacco did as a 10 year veteran with the Jets to a rookie QB, who played his football at BYU. 

2022 was Wilson’s second season.  He got outplayed by Mike White and Flacco in that one too.  It’s completely fair to compare them in the supposed “year 2 leap” season. 

Hell even Streveler went 10-15 for 90 yards in that offense when he can’t even throw a forward pass at an acceptable pro level.  @JTJet

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be, but if it came to that it'd be cheaper to trade some future 7th and get him for $1MM.

It's the kind of pick surrendered that could be recouped by dropping down insignificantly in round 6.

It's more than nothing for Douglas, and - for any team that really wants him - while Zach won't cost several million, the $1MM is still probably less than he'll get as a FA and then they take chance / player decision out of the mix.

I still think someone will give up something more than a 7th him, but it may have to be after they pay his roster bonus. Not that I'd put money on it either way ;)

I sincerely doubt it. The Jets got offset language in the contract, meaning that he's getting that 1MM from the Jets either way - odds are good he goes to the best possible situation for him (KC or SF) on a minimum salary deal

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

I sincerely doubt it. The Jets got offset language in the contract, meaning that he's getting that 1MM from the Jets either way - odds are good he goes to the best possible situation for him (KC or SF) on a minimum salary deal

I meant as a cost to his next team. They can't pay him $1 just because there's no offset. They still have to pay him a minimum of...well, the minimum lol. 

But if there's another team out there willing to pay him more than $1MM (on top of the no-offset he gets to keep), the "winner" would still have to outbid the runner-up. 

That is, unless they make a trade, in which case they pay as little as possible: $1MM.

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

There will be a struggle with the Wilson’s to ensure Zachy-Poo ends up at the team they want (49ers, etc) not who offers the Jets the best deal.  

It really depends on how opposing CS's currently rate Zach. Do they want to take on an unsuccessful starting QB who failed after 32 starts. But a QB highly rated coming out of college. Obviously overrated by the Jets but by all reporting widely considered by most orgs a high first round talent. Or do they want no part of him esp with so many new untested prospects. Remember a few weeks ago after Zach's good game vs the Texans when he was AFC offensive player of the week opinions on him quickly changed from maybe he is hopeless to he still has the talent. I got the feeling listening to the pundits that people around the NFL were rooting for him not against him. And were genuinely happy he played well. Right now I think the Jets will end up releasing him vs a trade. Him being on IR hasn't helped his cause. And rumors that after getting injured he didn't want to play true or untrue. 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I meant as a cost to his next team. They can't pay him $1 just because there's no offset. They still have to pay him a minimum of...well, the minimum lol. 

But if there's another team out there willing to pay him more than $1MM (on top of the no-offset he gets to keep), the "winner" would still have to outbid the runner-up. 

That is, unless they make a trade, in which case they pay as little as possible: $1MM.

What does that leave the jets to pay Wilson in this scenario?

Will be interesting to see what offensive coach thinks highest of him and gives up some compensation.  I would not be surprised if McVay or O'Connell in Minnesota is where he ends up. His arm talent and age will convince someone he can be fixed.  

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

There will be a struggle with the Wilson’s to ensure Zachy-Poo ends up at the team they want (49ers, etc) not who offers the Jets the best deal.  

Which is why it’s still very likely he’s back with the Jets.

5 hours ago, genot said:

If he had sat for a year he would be smart!

• Haha 1