Jets May Still Get Either Alt Or Fashanu

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I doubt it but I proposed a similar scenario. The key selections will be - the Pats at pick #3, the Chargers at pick #5 and the Giants at pick 6.

Assuming CHI and WAS take QBs - do the Pats take the #3 QB? Or do they take MHJ - potentially the best prospect in the draft? This is critical because if they choose to take MHJ, I highly doubt ARI takes a QB, so I think this pushes up a WR (a major need for ARI) OR a defender. Both good things for the Jets. 

The Chargers might elect to take one of Alt or Fashanu if they are there to play RT (Slater stays at LT). But they also have a need at WR and defense. So this decision will be critical. If they go defense. Obviously good for the Jets because Tenn is probably going OT (depending on FA). 

For the Giants theres the domino effect from the Pats pick. If they go MHJ and pass on a QB, the Giants may decide to take that 3rd QB (Daniels?) instead of continuing to build around Danny Dimes. Obviously great for the Jets because the Falcons and Bears don't really need an OT. If the Giants decide to take a T, welp, Tenn is probably going to take the 2nd T and the Jets are effed. 

I think it may go something like this:

CHI- Williams

WAS- Maye

NE- MHJ

ARI- Nabers

LA- Latu

NYG- Daniels

TEN- Fashanu

ATL- Turner

CHI- Odunze

NYJ- Alt 

Thats probably the best shot we have at one of the top 2 OTs. 

That's pretty intriguing.  Never considered the Pats with MHJ or Arizona with Nabers.  Never considered Nabers in the top 5 with any team.  Hmm... 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Hmm. Crossing my fingers. There’s a chance.

I think the key teams will be:

- Titans: They need a OT

- Saints: They need OT. Could jump uS

Titans are key with LT for sure.  Lets hope that prospects like Bowers and Nabers impress some of the teams at the top of the order. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Especially when the FA LT market looks bleak. Does Tyron even make it to FA?

image.png.ecd1b5e20d8790683c356f67fa693fcd.png

Teams in need of a LT will also likely be eyeing 6-9 as a target to trade up to knowing the Jets need a LT.

There is always the chance that Bakhtiari comes to hang with his old pal Rodgers.  I'm sure the two will be on the phone talking about old times and possibly new ones.

I would be in favor of giving it a try as long as it was a short and back-loaded contract that was predicated on playing time.   JD was at least smart to make the conditional # 1 for Rodgers based on him not busting his ass after four plays.  Very smart, indeed.  Do the same with Bakhtiari and it's a deal I would go for. 

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

That's pretty intriguing.  Never considered the Pats with MHJ or Arizona with Nabers.  Never considered Nabers in the top 5 with any team.  Hmm... 

ARI needs a WR badly...maybe they go defense but I doubt they pass on Nabers, who looks like a stud to me and will probably only improve his stock after the combine.  And I think if the top 2 QBs are off the board and MHJ sitting there at #3, there is a good chance the Pats don't let him slide. After all, they also have a need at WR. The question will be...is the new regime in NE sold on whoever is the #3 QB? They may not be. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Bakhtiari is not a serious option for starting LT in 2024.

I continue to be fascinated by the Jets fans being like:

oh yea, the tackle who almost never actually plays from GB but is an "ALL PRO" when he does? He's what the Jets need!

• Upvote 4

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

#9 Bears' LT only gave up a couple sacks this year, and they just used their 1st rounder last year on Darnell Wright. It's possible, but I doubt they're thinking tackle over a WR or possibly the class's top edge rusher.

#8 Falcons have solid, veteran, 32 yr old probowl LT drawing just $15.5MM salaries, and just signed '19 1st rounder McGary to a 3 year extension in March (next year being guaranteed). I doubt they're looking at a tackle this year. Or anyway, there's no rush with Matthews locked up at the team's pleasure for 3 more seasons. They need another WR almost as badly as the Jets, though they could look to FA to fill that spot. Bud Dupree isn't what he was back in Pittsburgh, so that's an option for them, too.

I think I mostly agree - the Bears are more likely to draft another weapon. I still say the Falcons would lean defense (especially if no defensive players are off the board yet when they pick), but we need to see who gets that coaching job. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not so sure about that.  Bowers is the sleeper of the draft.  Meaning there is a team with a top five pick that is hoping no one else sees what they do in Bowers.  IMHO, he is the third most valuable player in the draft not including QB's which of many top rated QB's will be major busts.  Alt, MHJ and Bowers are the best three players in the draft, IMHO.  Bowers is a great rout runner, is aggressive to the ball, has good hands, is aware of the QB and is a good blocker.  He will make a good offense and QB elite. 

I cant see him dropping lower than 5 unless there are some surprise trades for QB's that we are not expecting. 

The Bowers hype train is literally insane.

Reminds me of when Jet fans wanted Leonard Fournette at #6.

It would be a grace and a mercy if he gets taken ahead of #10 so Joe Douglas is spared the temptation of such a foolish dice roll.

Kyle Pitts is the greatest TE prospect I’ve seen (I didn’t really follow the draft when Tony Gonzalez was in it).

He went top-10, was superior to Bowers as a prospect, and he freaking sucks in the NFL.

The Jets deserve to be banned from the NFL if they pass on a cornerstone LT for anything other than a QB.

I don’t see how his skill set will translate to being some HOF type difference maker folks here seem to think he is guaranteed to be at the pro level.

Dalton Kincaid was praised to the freaking moon for his “elite” skill set just like so many other 1st round reaches — Ebron (LMAO), Vernon Davis (good not great) — while the smart teams get their studs in round 2 or later (Kittle, Gronk, LaPorta, Antonio Gates UDFA).

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm stoked about sitting through a 7-win season just to draft a tackle to replace the bust tackle that we drafted in almost the exact same slot like two days ago.

I dig.  What can I say... Before that draft I was in here foaming at the mouth over Becton.  I insisted that the Jets not draft him.  I also had ZW on my do-not-draft list.  Too bad JD does not listen to me.

If he wants to listen now, here is the Jets big board. 

MHJ is not on the list because there is ZERO chance he will be there.   QB's have been left off too.

1. ALT

2. FASHANU

3. BOWERS (yes... BOWERS before FUAGA even thought they need an OT)

4. FUAGA (yes, FUAGA before the better rated player Odunze because FUAGA is not too far down on my big board from Odunze and RT is a position of great need.  In this case, the minor difference in overall big board rating takes a back seat to major position of need along with excellent overall rating for FUAGA. 

5. Odunze

Side notes

If JD wants to go all out and also draft a QB for possible  possible #2 or future development, trade back into round 2 and take JJ McCarthy.  I don't see anything like this happening, though.  

****DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTACES draft JC Latham no matter how much an OT is needed*** 

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Bakhtiari is not a serious option for starting LT in 2024.

Anything for OL should be considered.  Starters or depth.  If the price is right, they have to try it out.  I would even be OK with trying Beckton on the inside if the price is right.  Bakhtiari may actually still be able to play.  They got Faneca at the end of his career and he held stabilize the line and teach Brick a few things. 

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm stoked about sitting through a 7-win season just to draft a tackle to replace the bust tackle that we drafted in almost the exact same slot like two days ago.

time is a flat circle 

and amazingly, the same GM is getting to make the pick!

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

One game shouldn’t decide if you want a guy or not and we know how irrational teams get come draft time with qbs.  There’s several teams picking in the teens starting with Minnesota who may want one of those qbs.

They were fringe before the game. Showing you have the big game in big moment trait definitely helps. The ability to play great when the pressure is at its highest is something scouts and teams want to see. While I agree 1 game shouldn’t define a career, it could be the difference in a team wanting to trade up or  sitting back and hoping that player falls.

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Been looking at all the latest mock drafts...  Jets may very well still have a chance at either Alt or Fashanu

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024.php

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

These make sense.  It may very well go down like this. I hope it does.  

Of course we might.

Presuming we know all the picks, today, before the combine, before interviews, before the fast, late risers, is just silly.

I'm as into mocks as anyone, but truth is, a lot can (and likely will) change between today and Draft Day.

There is no certainty we won't have an opportunity at something we want/need badly.  

Presuming, of course, we don't trade down.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I think the first 4 picks will very likely be 3 QBs and MHJ. I also think Atlanta taking Turner makes a ton of sense. Let's assume that all happens.

That leaves 4 more picks before us - If 3 of those 4 picks are Bowers, Odunze, and Nabers, we are good. Not impossible - but probably not most likely. 

IMO, the chances are that we will be staring at Bowers and one of Odunze or Nabers. 

Of course, this is all super early - players will shoot up the board and others will drop. 

5 more picks before us, we are at 10 (not 9). 

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Bowers hype train is literally insane.

Reminds me of when Jet fans wanted Leonard Fournette at #6.

It would be a grace and a mercy if he gets taken ahead of #10 so Joe Douglas is spared the temptation of such a foolish dice roll.

Kyle Pitts is the greatest TE prospect I’ve seen (I didn’t really follow the draft when Tony Gonzalez was in it).

He went top-10, was superior to Bowers as a prospect, and he freaking sucks in the NFL.

The Jets deserve to be banned from the NFL if they pass on a cornerstone LT for anything other than a QB.

I don’t see how his skill set will translate to being some HOF type difference maker folks here seem to think he is guaranteed to be at the pro level.

Dalton Kincaid was praised to the freaking moon for his “elite” skill set just like so many other 1st round reaches — Ebron (LMAO), Vernon Davis (good not great) — while the smart teams get their studs in round 2 or later (Kittle, Gronk, LaPorta, Antonio Gates UDFA).

Perhaps, yes... We shall see

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Alan Faneca hadn't missed a game in 6 years when the Jets signed him. Bahktiari has played 15 games combined over the past 3 years and hasn't played a full season in 5 years. If you want to bring him in for a depth guy I guess, whatever but he's not a serious starting LT option for anyone.

I would not be in favor of Bak in any way unless it was a short, backloaded contract.  But it is possible he can play and stay on the field.  The Jets smartly said goodbye to LB Cashman because he could not stay on the field.  Now, he is contributing for the Texans.  68 tackles 33 assists.

Ya never know.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, THE BARON said:

I would not be in favor of Bak in any way unless it was a short, backloaded contract.  But it is possible he can play and stay on the field.  The Jets smartly said goodbye to LB Cashman because he could not stay on the field.  Now, he is contributing for the Texans.  68 tackles 33 assists.

Ya never know.  

Blake Cashman is 27 years old. Bak will be 33 next season. I wouldn't bet on his health taking a sudden turn for the better like Cashman unexpectedly did.

13 minutes ago, extmenace said:

They were fringe before the game. Showing you have the big game in big moment trait definitely helps. The ability to play great when the pressure is at its highest is something scouts and teams want to see. While I agree 1 game shouldn’t define a career, it could be the difference in a team wanting to trade up or  sitting back and hoping that player falls.

Yet mccarthy played quite well vs alabama.  Truth we know teams get irrational about qbs.  It’s possible, is all I’m saying.  If the first 3 picks of the draft are qbs and you are Minnesota, atlanta, denver, raiders saints or Seahawks you may want to ensure you get your qb.  We know teams panic and do stupid things during the draft. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Blake Cashman is 27 years old. Bak will be 33 next season. I wouldn't bet on his health taking a sudden turn for the better like Cashman unexpectedly did.

and rodgers is gonna be 40.  and brady was how old ???  if the money is small, the deal would be big. 

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

and rodgers is gonna be 40.  and brady was how old ???  if the money is small, the deal would be big. 

not only has rodgers health has been an issue the last 2 seasons but he plays a position where he's protected by the refs. What does Brady have to do with Baktiari man? Dude has been not available this decade. I wouldn't be the least bit excited if we signed him and hope we do not.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet mccarthy played quite well vs alabama.  Truth we know teams get irrational about qbs.  It’s possible, is all I’m saying.  If the first 3 picks of the draft are qbs and you are Minnesota, atlanta, denver, raiders saints or Seahawks you may want to ensure you get your qb.  We know teams panic and do stupid things during the draft. 

I got ya. I’m all for it obviously but it sure would have been nice if that game was a shootout. 

57 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not so sure about that.  Bowers is the sleeper of the draft.  Meaning there is a team with a top five pick that is hoping no one else sees what they do in Bowers.  IMHO, he is the third most valuable player in the draft not including QB's which of many top rated QB's will be major busts.  Alt, MHJ and Bowers are the best three players in the draft, IMHO.  Bowers is a great rout runner, is aggressive to the ball, has good hands, is aware of the QB and is a good blocker.  He will make a good offense and QB elite. 

I cant see him dropping lower than 5 unless there are some surprise trades for QB's that we are not expecting. 

The chargers will be all over Bowers.    So you can forget that dream. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Been looking at all the latest mock drafts...  Jets may very well still have a chance at either Alt or Fashanu

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024.php

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

These make sense.  It may very well go down like this. I hope it does.  

Mocks before the senior bowl combine  workouts free agency pro days are useless.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’ll be fun when the LTs we want get snatched up picks 8 & 9 and we’re left with our collective d**k in our hands, all because we had to build that winning culture.  

Just take a WR. 

This draft is deep (and really good at the top) at both tackle and WR. There will also be a minimum of 3 QBs off the board before we pick. You also have to figure that the top edge prospect this year is likely to be in the top 9.

I'm having trouble seeing how we don't end up with either a good tackle or good WR prospect.