Staff changes across the league

This is interesting.  I wonder if Frank Reich goes back to Philly

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-brian-johnson-will-not-return-as-eagles-offensive-coordinator

Report: Brian Johnson will not return as Eagles offensive coordinator

The Eagles will now need two coordinators. 

Per Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Brian Johnson will not return to the team as offensive coordinator. 

Johnson had just completed his first year as the team’s OC after two seasons as Philadelphia’s quarterbacks coach. But while the Eagles finished No. 7 in points and No. 8 in yards, the unit was marred by inconsistency, particularly down the stretch. The Eagles scored just nine points in their wild-card round loss to the Buccaneers.

Quarterback Jalen Hurts’ interceptions also went up from six in 2022 to 15 in 2023.

Johnson had received some interest in the head coaching market, interviewing with the Falcons and receiving requests from the Panthers and Titans.

The Eagles have also reportedly parted ways with defensive coordinator Sean Desai and senior defensive assistant Matt Patricia as the team looks to reshape its coaching staff after dropping six of seven games to end the year.

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:03 AM, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I mean they're keeping the play-caller (Stefanski) and keeping the greatest OL coach ever (Callahan), the rest is nonsense.

If stefanski is calling the plays then just what does the oc do?

Well at least he didn’t hire the headcoach , or won’t be charge of the contracts.     I rather they kept Champ Kelly , or Hired Ed Dodd  for the Gm job. But I don’t get a say in it.     After the Raiders destroyed the Chargers their Gm , and coach , got canned.   Their Gm now , becomes the Raiders new Gm. 

On 1/17/2024 at 12:49 PM, Mogglez said:

They very well might be, I won’t dispute that…but, to be honest, Hackett’s system, with the full playbook that an elite and cerebral QB like Rodgers can execute to near perfection, is fine.  When Aaron is back there, he will be the play-caller, ala Manning/Gase in Denver so it will, likely, be a night and day difference between what we saw this year, resulting in a vastly improved, possibly elite, product on the field.  It doesn’t surprise me to hear that he was ripping our defense apart in team periods.

My issue, which is what I think makes the Jets so f’ng stupid, is that should he get injured again, Gardner Minshew or Jacoby Brissett, while better than what we saw this season, are still not good enough to execute the system to the degree that makes me feel confident that we will be successful.  The full package is very complex, probably to a fault.  That’s a mind-numbing level of risk at this point.

This is very true.. and honestly probably the reason they rolled with zach this year even though it was an awful decision.  

I do know that Rodgers Hackett and probably some new offensive coaching personnel will be sitting down this offseason and going through the playbook in a way to make it more user friendly if in the catastrophic event that we are in the same situation again next year they can operate at a better efficiency. 

What that ends up looking like and what ends up being changed remains to be seen.  I would expect some new concepts to come into the playbook, simpler checks, and easier verbiage within some regards. 

4 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Sweet. Here comes another former coach from that vaunted Tennessee offensive coaching staff

Come on down!

I mean, just get someone that doesn't F up Breece. That's all I ask. 

I like how of all the position coaches on offense - running back is the one they first make a change to. That'll do it!

On 1/25/2024 at 10:22 AM, T0mShane said:

They must’ve been dazzled by the nine points Canales’ offense put up against the Panthers three weeks ago

Canales resurrected the careers of Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield.

Maybe he could have resurrected Rodgers career!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Bienemy hired by Chicago as OC. Nice hire there.

You wonder if that helps them or hurts them in their effort to get Caleb Williams to agree to play there. Bienemy’s rep of a being a hardo followed him to Washington and he didn’t get a sniff at an HC job despite propping Howell up for a few weeks. If I’m Williams, no way do I want go to Chicago where Eberflus is starting out with one foot on a banana peel. I’d much rather end up back home in DC with Ben Johnson and those receivers. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Canales resurrected the careers of Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield.

Maybe he could have resurrected Rodgers career!

Crazy what happens when you let your creative young OC call plays for a middling to average veteran QB instead of forcing them to stick with a bust draft pick. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You wonder if that helps them or hurts them in their effort to get Caleb Williams to agree to play there. Bienemy’s rep of a being a hardo followed him to Washington and he didn’t get a sniff at an HC job despite propping Howell up for a few weeks. If I’m Williams, no way do I want go to Chicago where Eberflus is starting out with one foot on a banana peel. I’d much rather end up back home in DC with Ben Johnson and those receivers. 

I actually think this helps support the possibility of them keeping Fields who for all faults on the field is not a snowflake and is a stud.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Huh??
Chicago hired Shane Waldron as their OC.

Bienemy is still in Washington and will prob be out of the job once Ben Johnson lands there. 

Yeah my fault didn’t double check after someone telling me the wrong thing. My bad and disregard.

• Upvote 1