Daniel Jeremiah's Mock 1.0: Fauga over Fashanu

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I want the pass blocking tackle.  

Massive and powerful, sorry i want agile.  Becton was massive and powerful and can run block but he gets destroyed pass blocking.

Pass blocking is vastly more important than run blocking for your tackles, both of them.

Fuaga might be a good player but regardless, Douglas has to get this one right.

Penei Sewell?

• Upvote 1

I just don't see any way they pass on the LT, at least not for a RT.  Maybe they'll pass if Bowers or Odunze is there and they go hard in UFA to address the line.  Chances are though they won't get another chance like this at an elite LT prospect, especially if their expectation is to become a consistent playoff team starting next year.  So what if he can't run block, he can protect the QB and that's exactly what they need him to do.  

I'll still be shocked if he's on the board though, so IMO it's all moot.  Still expecting Bakhtiari and Becton to bookend our OTs next year while we use this pick on a weapon or a falling QB(most likely the former).  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Penei Sewell?

Sewel is a RT which is fine but I feel it is a stretch putting this guy in sewels category as a prospect.

Sewel was being talked about as a top 3 or 4 pick in his draft year, he went 7th.

Fuaga is being elevated awful high awful fast.

This seems to be a case of prospects being elevated due to need.

Take the best pass blocker, end of story imo

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I just don't see any way they pass on the LT, at least not for a RT.  Maybe they'll pass if Bowers or Odunze is there and they go hard in UFA to address the line.  Chances are though they won't get another chance like this at an elite LT prospect, especially if their expectation is to become a consistent playoff team starting next year.  So what if he can't run block, he can protect the QB and that's exactly what they need him to do.  

I'll still be shocked if he's on the board though, so IMO it's all moot.  Still expecting Bakhtiari and Becton to bookend our OTs next year while we use this pick on a weapon or a falling QB(most likely the former).  

mother of god danger GIF

• Of course OL are going to be elevated.  The NFL needs more of them.  College players are now moving these from DL to meet the demand.  
  • Jeremiah is a friend of JD's, and my suspicion is that he will project picks to help support JD.  He was the first to project Becton high.
  • Bakhtiari and Fuaga as the Ts with Warren, Mitchell as reserves is not a bad plan.  I think we give up on Becton.  

32 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I'll still be shocked if he's on the board though, so IMO it's all moot.  Still expecting Bakhtiari and Becton to bookend our OTs next year while we use this pick on a weapon

I got this as the most likely scenario

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

I got this as the most likely scenario

No way.  They can sign a FA wr or obtain another day 2 pick and use that on a wr.  Round 1 is a tackle and there’s no team that needs one more than the jets.  Not only do they need to protect rodgers and open up runs for breece but if this regime actually stays beyond next season they’re going to be drafting another qb (if not sometime this year) and they need tackles to protect the new qb

• Upvote 2

I'm just relieved that the need should meet the value for OL at #10.  Take the best one left and fill a hole at a premium position, LT or RT. 

I wonder if Amarius Mims is going to rise as well.  He's got the measurables and pedigree but lacks experience due to injuries and will take some time to develop, which doesn't exactly line up with our timetable.

Not to argue about AVT's correct position but his G/T versatility takes some pressure off. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

some are projecting him as a Guard. Taking a G over a LT who can start D1 would really be something.

Wasn't Wirfs projected to be a guard as well. I am not familiar with Brandon Thorn. Is he any good?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

I'm just relieved that the need should meet the value for OL at #10.  Take the best one left and fill a hole at a premium position, LT or RT. 

I wonder if Amarius Mims is going to rise as well.  He's got the measurables and pedigree but lacks experience due to injuries and will take some time to develop, which doesn't exactly line up with our timetable.

Not to argue about AVT's correct position but his G/T versatility takes some pressure off. 

It may well get to the point where the jets take fuaga over the penn st LT 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

No way.  They can sign a FA wr or obtain another day 2 pick and use that on a wr.  Round 1 is a tackle and there’s no team that needs one more than the jets.  Not only do they need to protect rodgers and open up runs for breece but if this regime actually stays beyond next season they’re going to be drafting another qb (if not sometime this year) and they need tackles to protect the new qb

You sir are 100% about what they NEED to do. 

Thats exactly why I think that my suggestion is the most likely scenario. ....just been here tooo long to expect things to be done the right way. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the argument is what their biggest need is right now, I am on board.  If you are deciding what to do in the draft based solely on that need, I say that is a fine way to have a sh*tty team.  The Giants needed offensive line in 2022.  They took Evan Neal.  Do you think they'd be better off starting some mid to low-tier FA T and drafting Wilson or Olave?  If there is someone sitting there that they like fine, but saying "Take the pass blocking LT!" sounds good until the guy gets to the NFL and can't pass block. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

If the argument is what their biggest need is right now, I am on board.  If you are deciding what to do in the draft based solely on that need, I say that is a fine way to have a sh*tty team.  The Giants needed offensive line in 2022.  They took Evan Neal.  Do you think they'd be better off starting some mid to low-tier FA T and drafting Wilson or Olave?  If there is someone sitting there that they like fine, but saying "Take the pass blocking LT!" sounds good until the guy gets to the NFL and can't pass block. 

I’m assuming need meets value at 10 for OT, either side.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m assuming need meets value at 10 for OT, either side.  

Sounds like it might, but I have read some decidedly mixed reviews on Latham.  I am also reading that people don't want to pick based on traits because they think that got us Becton, but IMO Wirfs was one of the premier traits OL of all time.

11 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Wasn't Wirfs projected to be a guard as well. I am not familiar with Brandon Thorn. Is he any good?

He publishes trench warfare, he’s all about line play.  Offense and defense. He collaborates with Duke Mayweather, who is universally respected. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't remember Wirfs being projected as a guard but could easily have forgotten something like that.

In keeping with this thread title, fwiw Dan Jeremiah was one of those who projected him to guard.

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network has Wirfs pegged as a guard and said the following to Scott Dochterman of The Athletic:

"I think he's somebody that has a chance to be an All-Pro guard. I know he's played on the right. He's played on the left, and he's a good tackle. I think he can play tackle in the NFL. I just think he has a chance to be an elite guard. He's got some issues, oversetting, that can be cleaned up a little bit. I just thought he'd be better if he had neighbors on each side."

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't remember Wirfs being projected as a guard but could easily have forgotten something like that.

Tristan Wirfs, OL, Iowa: Many have projected Wirfs as a Pro Bowl guard, and he did nothing on this night to dampen the high expectations for his future.

From NFL.com

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sounds like it might, but I have read some decidedly mixed reviews on Latham.  I am also reading that people don't want to pick based on traits because they think that got us Becton, but IMO Wirfs was one of the premier traits OL of all time.

You watch Latham and he reminds me of a more fundamentally sound becton.  Slow feet but not confused.  Then you watch fuaga and he seems quicker and more ready for the speed rushers.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I want the pass blocking tackle.  

Massive and powerful, sorry i want agile.  Becton was massive and powerful and can run block but he gets destroyed pass blocking.

Pass blocking is vastly more important than run blocking for your tackles, both of them.

Fuaga might be a good player but regardless, Douglas has to get this one right.

Seems that the better pass blockers are superior athletes. Two that seem to fit that mode that DJ has mid 1st rd are Amarius Mims and Tyler Guyyon. I know you love moving around in the draft and depending how the board fell, moving back to 17-23 might get you one of these guys plus recoup a 2 nd. 😎

• Upvote 1