Woody Johnson Opens up on Frustrations With Jets Struggles

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Regrettably, it makes no sense to draft that QB this year. One, that QB isn’t going to help the team this season and Two, if it goes bad this year and everyone gets swept out, you have to give the incoming administration the freedom to draft their own QB. 

This has the makings of a complete disaster.

It makes sense from Woody's POV to want a QB in place to succeed #8.

But Joe Douglas will never do it because he's in "job saving" mode and knows he needs to win now.  21 y.o. Peyton Manning could be on the board at #10 and JD would pass because it doesn't help him this year.

This is the problem with delaying the inevitable. 

They will say all the right things in the pressers, but there is a clear conflict of interest between a "win now at all costs" approach now adopted by the GM and HC and what's in the best interest of the franchise.

Even if Rodgers is able to play 2 years, he's likely to look cooked at some point within those 2 years, and then it's all downhill from there.

Unless we think this team is somehow Super Bowl caliber, even with a guy like Jacoby Brissett pulling the trigger in the playoffs 🤣

• Upvote 2

Just now, sourceworx said:

I agree they shouldn't take a QB early for the reasons you mention, but I'd be fine taking a shot at one in the middle rounds. 

Eh. Douglas and Saleh probably have a 40%(?) chance of keeping their jobs next year. If, hypothetically, they were able to hire Mike McCarthy, the first thing he’s going to do is go out and find a new QB. Whoever Douglas drafts this year will be wasted

• Upvote 3

"New York Jets Owner Woody Johnson Savagely Roasted Zach Wilson At The NFL Honors"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/new-york-jets-owner-woody-johnson-savagely-roasted-zach-wilson-at-the-nfl-honors/ar-BB1i0tl3?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=fce2829a1cba48b696e0079078cee471&ei=5

"It appears New York Jets’ owner Woody Johnson is not fond of Zach Wilson."

"“I’d give up a two-week stay at a Best Western. I’m not a fan,” one anonymous coach stated."

OK... If Woody does not like Zach Wilson, then who the hell was keeping him there and on the field and why ???

14 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Ironic coming from someone who does everything but use their noggin. 

Again, you're spouting some conspiracy between Zach, the NFL and the seperate doctors that run the concussion protocol to keep Zach off the field and in concussion protocol. 

What’s this conspiracy now? That Zach was concussed for a month?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It sounds like backup QB is going to be their #1 priority in free agency, so they‘ll know what they have when they get to the draft, at least. We shall see

Yes, qb and OT.  So with woody’s insistence (finally) they focus on offense, combined with Rodgers’ precarious health and no 2nd rounder, it makes for a very telling free agency period.  And i do think if they go hard after some legit backup qbs and whiff, it probably increases the chance they consider a qb in the draft, though i don’t know by how much and in what rounds. 

4 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

The point of trading him wasn’t draft compensation but to get his money off the books. Not trading him takes up more cap space. Forgot the numbers but I think it’s like 5-6mill off the books if we trade him vs If we can’t. 

Is there a big difference in cap hit between trading him or releasing him

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It sounds like backup QB is going to be their #1 priority in free agency, so they‘ll know what they have when they get to the draft, at least. We shall see

Yes, qb and OT.  So with woody’s insistence (finally) they focus on offense, combined with Rodgers’ precarious health and no 2nd rounder, it makes for a very telling free agency period.  And i do think if they go hard after some legit backup qbs and whiff, it probably increases the chance they consider a qb in the draft, though i don’t know by how much and in what rounds. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What’s this conspiracy now? That Zach was concussed for a month?

When wilson came out my biggest concern was durability 

In 3 years he's missed a month with a knee x2 and a month with a dehydration concussion 

All his play issues aside he can't take what other players would consider normal nfl punishment 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

AR8 lasted 1 series behind this OL this past season but Woody thinks the problem is ZW, and has assigned Robert Saleh to focus on/fix the offense.

You’re blaming the OL for Rodger’s Achille’s injury?

He wasn’t touched on that play… he got hurt trying to move. (things that happen to a 40yo playing a young man’s game for $500, Alex.)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. Douglas and Saleh probably have a 40%(?) chance of keeping their jobs next year. If, hypothetically, they were able to hire Mike McCarthy, the first thing he’s going to do is go out and find a new QB. Whoever Douglas drafts this year will be wasted

The Jets have to make the playoffs for these two to get extensions 

Do we really put the Jets playoff chances at 40 percent? It seems high for a team that is running 3rd place in the afc east 

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Regrettably, it makes no sense to draft that QB this year. One, that QB isn’t going to help the team this season and Two, if it goes bad this year and everyone gets swept out, you have to give the incoming administration the freedom to draft their own QB. 

14 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This has the makings of a complete disaster.

It makes sense from Woody's POV to want a QB in place to succeed #8.

But Joe Douglas will never do it because he's in "job saving" mode and knows he needs to win now.  21 y.o. Peyton Manning could be on the board at #10 and JD would pass because it doesn't help him this year.

This is the problem with delaying the inevitable. 

They will say all the right things in the pressers, but there is a clear conflict of interest between a "win now at all costs" approach now adopted by the GM and HC and what's in the best interest of the franchise.

Even if Rodgers is able to play 2 years, he's likely to look cooked at some point within those 2 years, and then it's all downhill from there.

Unless we think this team is somehow Super Bowl caliber, even with a guy like Jacoby Brissett pulling the trigger in the playoffs 🤣

Agree with you both.  And it really shows the importance of making a decision on these guys before they reach their contract year.  It sounds like JD just lost his top 2 assistants (who I'm assuming view this situation as a sinking ship and want off ASAP!)  That doesn't seem like it would bode well for this offseason.  I feel bad for AR8, who agreed to take on this challenge when almost nobody else would.

14 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

He is right but it's all lip service to appease the angry season ticket holders. If he cared he would have cleaned house and hired Harbaugh.

Josina had a tweet early in the year that woody decided the Jets had spent enough on qb this season. This whole "we didn't have a backup" is on some level Woody's order 

It's also Joe Douglas fault for assembling the worst qb room in the league year after year, but who hired Joe Douglas? 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Classic Woody, telegraphing his off-season priorities to the rest of the league 🤣

But luckily for us, nobody is trading with NE this year to jump us for a backup QB in round 1,

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

feel bad for AR8, who agreed to take on this challenge when almost nobody else would.

The highest paid player in franchise history? Who played 4 plays? We're supposed to feel bad for him? 

I feel bad for the players wasting their primes with this con man at qb1 

• Haha 2

Just now, bitonti said:

The highest paid player in franchise history? Who played 4 plays? We're supposed to feel bad for him? 

I feel bad for the players wasting their primes with this con man at qb1 

Why is Rodgers a con-man?   He agreed to take on the challenge here.  He got hurt 4 plays in.  What was he going to do?

I will admit he's a garbage GM but I don't think that makes him a con-man.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I've been saying this for weeks. 

The only thing dumber than taking a defensive player with #10 overall would be taking a player who can't help the team this year and then will almost assuredly be replaced by the new administration in 2025. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When wilson came out my biggest concern was durability 

In 3 years he's missed a month with a knee x2 and a month with a dehydration concussion 

All his play issues aside he can't take what other players would consider normal nfl punishment 

Heard a crazy stat last year when they were talking about Bryce Young’s size, that the only QBs drafted in the first with similar height/weight/BMI profiles were Manziel and Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

I mean Woody isn't wrong with a lot he says. BUT where it falls short is why weren't guys fired over mistakes? Why was Wilson QB2. JD shouldn't have been safe. Saleh another year of bad coaching but gets a pass bc of Rodgers injury.

The pro of all this... is it appears we will be going all in on offense this offseason. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Woody is a disgrace.  Even if he truly thinks that, there was absolutely no reason to say what he said. 

And it also hurt his team's negotiating position as far as trying to trade ZW.

Agree Woody is an idiot. I don’t think it effects anything, everyone knows what Zach is 🙈. That earlier report from scouts hurt more. Woody wasn’t lying though. The genius Joe Douglas said last spring “ Zach is going to sit and watch rodgers, as a REDSHIRT yr.”  No other gm would consider “ redshirt yr” same as backup qb. 

• Post of the Week 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Agree Woody is an idiot. I don’t think it effects anything, everyone knows what Zach is 🙈. That earlier report from scouts hurt more. Woody wasn’t lying though. The genius Joe Douglas said last spring “ Zach is going to sit and watch rodgers, as a REDSHIRT yr.”  No other gm would consider “ redshirt yr” same as backup qb. 

Backup and redshirt are not synonymous. No one ever really explained that one. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The only thing I can think of is that AR8 has almost always been healthy so they figured that would continue.  Probably JD wanted to "go for it" last year and didn't think it QB2 was a good investment (as if AR8 goes down, they were probably going to lose anyway).  Plus they were already paying ZW a good chunk of money and there's probably only so much you want to pay a position group (and between AR8 and ZW, they were already spending a ton).  

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I believe it’s just spin by Woody, and he’s delivering some lines that were handed to him by Elhai or whomever. Disagree that Zach wasn’t a solid 75% of the problem, however. Highhhhh time to throw and bottom-of-the-league accuracy marks are enough to make everyone look worse, and that’s before you take into account the intangible costs of playing him. 

image.png.dc7eb2f4be01ecea9caa6c850d056bbe.png

Actually found this about his accuracy stats recently (post from about a month ago). Looked like his accuracy had much improved and it seems like it wasn't just my eyes. I took a screenshot of the full post if you want, but the first paragraph is the meat.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It was nice of Woody to come out and put to rest the idea that Rosenblatt and Russini might be lying or exaggerating about the dysfunction in the building, however. 

You clearly don’t remember that we were told by an official JN insider “ my guy(s) inside the building tell me that story was all fabricated.”

Something something agendas and such.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Heard a crazy stat last year when they were talking about Bryce Young’s size, that the only QBs drafted in the first with similar height/weight/BMI profiles were Manziel and Zach Wilson. 

Bryce Young is 5'10", 194 lbs.

Zach Wilson is 6'2", 214 lbs.

Zach has proven to be a pretty tough player.   Bryce Young is tiny.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4685720/bryce-young

image.png.e9df05e2f13bce4423f73b91fecf6586.png

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4361259/zach-wilson

image.png.6a814e5d6eee154ca789c0b082eaa534.png

• Haha 1

Since Saleh likes golf so much....

To sort of try and equate this to a golf tournament, Joe Douglas has presided over exactly 4 drafts.

2020: 100? (Becton, Mims, Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga, La'Mical Perine, Captain Morgan, Cam Clark, Bryce Hall, Braden Mann)

2021:  95?  (Zach Wilson, AVT, Elijah Moore, MC, Sherwood, MC2, Pinnock Hamsah, Echols, Jonathan Marshall

2022:  58?  (Sauce, GW, JJ, Breece, Ruckert, Max Mitchell, Clemons)

2023:  ??  (McD, Tipp, Carter Warren, Izzy, Zaire Barnes, Bernard-Converse, Kuntz)

You're not winning any tournaments with this kind of performance.

In fact, JD wouldn't have even made the cut.  No way he makes it to Saturday with those '20 and '21 drafts.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

image.png.dc7eb2f4be01ecea9caa6c850d056bbe.png

Actually found this about his accuracy stats recently (post from about a month ago). Looked like his accuracy had much improved and it seems like it wasn't just my eyes. I took a screenshot of the full post if you want, but the first paragraph is the meat.

Great post!  I was confident ZW was playing much better this past year.  

Do you have a URL, btw?