Saleh not expected to attend scouting combine ***UPDATE- may be attending now****

On 2/27/2024 at 7:04 AM, T0mShane said:

I mean there’s a whole article detailing how much the guy golfs

https://nypost.com/2022/07/10/jets-coach-robert-saleh-finds-escape-in-his-golf-obsession/

It’s an article talking about how he loves the game but his job keeps him from playing.

The only shame for Saleh, 43, is that he’s too busy at the moment — leading the Jets as their second-year head coach and continuing to build a life for his six children — that he doesn’t have nearly enough time to play as often as he’d like. 

NFL head coaches have a very small window of unencumbered free time in between the season, the draft, free agency, OTAs, minicamps and training camp. 

The current period is that one window, between the final minicamp and training camp (which begins in a couple of weeks), and Saleh, on a muggy summer day last week, took the time to play 18

As long as you have a good GM with a quality staff the Head Coach is better served spending his time with his coaching staff at the facility. Players can still meet with the head coach during visits.

The GM makes the final decisions on drafting players. Crucial for him to be in Indy, the head coach, no.

Key is having a good GM and staff! If you don't have that then you are screwed no matter what the head coach does.

14 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Coach Bobby at the office watching film now

PUTT-A-BOUT Eagle 8 Golf Putting Mat | Brookstone

Say you are an executive in your 40’s and get a president or CEO job at a publicly traded company, I’d imagine you’d have enough self awareness to not go talk to the the Wall Street Journal that your goal is to play 1,000 golf courses. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

Say you are a executive in your 40’s and get a president or CEO job at a publicly traded company, I’d imagine you’d have enough self awareness to not go talk to the the Wall Street Journal that your goal is to play 1,000 golf courses. 

not disagreeing with you - if you are not familiar look up the collapse of Bear Stearns and what the CEO was doing during that time .  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

Lets walk this dog 

Saleh goes to indy studies all the prospects and comes up with a list of players he likes from scratch 

Joe Douglas is not going to listen. 

He didn't listen when Saleh didn't want Zach. That's gotta be frustrating to put all this work into the offseason and have Joey pretzel just draft whoever he wants 

This board is chronically under employed but one thing you don't do is tell the boss how to do their job. 

Shoot I'd be golfing too 

I tell my boss how to do her job every single day.  It is literally my job.

2 hours ago, Jetpain said:

Coach Bobby at the office watching film now

PUTT-A-BOUT Eagle 8 Golf Putting Mat | Brookstone

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Say you are an executive in your 40’s and get a president or CEO job at a publicly traded company, I’d imagine you’d have enough self awareness to not go talk to the the Wall Street Journal that your goal is to play 1,000 golf courses. 

I don't know why golf has such a bad rap. Well I do know... but in defense of golf you're outside, connected to nature and relaxing 

Being in clipped grass land like a park, cemetery or golf course are proven to be most relaxing outdoor settings. Because our lizard brain sees long grass and thinks snake or ocean water and thinks shark but a golf course is the perfect mix of outside and safe. There are no surprises. 

What's the big beef here? He's too relaxed? Not screaming at players enough? People said the same about Bowles he's got a ring and promoted since leaving the Jets 

A relaxed leader makes better decisions. As is a guy in shape. Andy Reid aside 

Saleh does his job more or less

there's no amount of work that will make him an offensive coach. He will be fired soon enough but these guys go as far as the qb takes them

That's why Aaron Rodgers makes 100 million and Saleh makes like 3-5 per year 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What’s wishing you could play have to do with you not working and playing golf instead.
I wish I could play every day but I have to go into a clinic for 4 hrs a day, three days a week.  Guess which one I do?

• Upvote 1

Starting at 4:11, former GM Randy Mueller talks about a HC being at the combine:

Would I like my HC with me?  Yes, I would like him here for, if nothing else, to be face-to-face with the prospects in your interview room.  I live in Seattle.  I've known Pete Carroll forever.  I know that when Pete Carroll is in the room, those prospects, when they come in, they kind of get a vibe about the Seahawks.  Maybe he comes at it at a little different level than Robert but I do think there's value, don't get me wrong.  But I understand if they've kind of prioritized how they want to spend their time.

Sounds like he's saying he understands that Saleh prioritizes golf over being HC of the NYJ.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Woody making Saleh get on a plane to Indianapolis is so humiliating that imagining how the conversation played out is giving me new life.

I wish we could see this entire scene play out in an offseason version of Hard Knocks.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Starting at 4:11, former GM Randy Mueller talks about a HC being at the combine:

Would I like my HC with me?  Yes, I would like him here for, if nothing else, to be face-to-face with the prospects in your interview room.  I live in Seattle.  I've known Pete Carroll forever.  I know that when Pete Carroll is in the room, those prospects, when they come in, they kind of get a vibe about the Seahawks.  Maybe he comes at it at a little different level than Robert but I do think there's value, don't get me wrong.  But I understand if they've kind of prioritized how they want to spend their time.

Sounds like he's saying he understands that Saleh prioritizes golf over being HC of the NYJ.

This is, genuinely, the equivalent to interviewing Charley Casserly, except this version has zero Super Bowl rings and every team he was fired from was better for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Used to piss me off to no end. Still does, honestly.

True story: I was watching highlights from ‘09 to just revisit how fun that year was and I completely forgot about the Jets - Dolphins game where he returned 2 kicks to, essentially, put them on his back and beat us.  I vividly remember getting up to get Mrs. Fields before the second return for a touchdown, hearing a roar of boos, coming back and asking my dad “wtf did I miss, I just went to get a blondie?!”

Im pretty sure my brain blocked that game out, because I don’t even remember Sanchez putting up a legitimate franchise QB stat-line (for the time) that day.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

"I'll go to the combine when I'm in the mood for it.  Maybe I'll drop by this weekend, when it's most convenient for me".

Salehs got the “I’ll get back to you at my earliest convenience” out of office

• Haha 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

Remember what Joey Galloway used to do to Aaron Glenn? 

One of the first non-Jets WRs I ever watched.

While Glenn’s Jets years ended before I was old enough to go to games with pops, I think I remember him telling me a story about how this went down when talking about how some guys have another player’s number.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The only motherf*cker besides Stevie Johnson that could toast prime Revis.

I'm still not over the game in 2009 where he returned two kicks for TDs against us.

Pepole always talk about that team being lucky to even make the playoffs at 9 and 7, but we actually blew so many games that year. So many dumb losses. (Atlanta at home, Miami at home, Buffalo where we ran for a billion yards but Sanchez threw 5 picks) 

• Upvote 2