JJ Mccarthy QB Michigan

53 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Yes, O Line and WR are priorities for our team but this kid sure is intriguing to sit behind Rodgers for a year or two:

His stock his shooting up right now seems to be mocked to Atlanta in top 10 

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:16 PM, NYDreamer said:

Yes, O Line and WR are priorities for our team but this kid sure is intriguing to sit behind Rodgers for a year or two:

He will need to learn and have the balls to step up in the pocket, bailing out deep spinning and getting outside doesn’t work in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

Thought when I watched him and have heard it from some guys I listen to - the Shanahan schemes are going to like McCarthy. Can move, throw on the run, good enough arm, smart, takes care of the ball.

The new Atlanta coach has roots there, so does Minnesota’s. Lots of time for the veteran QB carousel to shake out.

I think this class has nine guys who are generally considered blue chip offensive prospects - of course opinions on individuals will vary - and of course the Jets pick tenth. McCarthy isn’t one of those generally considered blue chippers so if he can possibly go ahead of the Jets then somebody else slides.

The dream is that Minnesota wants to get up ahead of Atlanta to take him and Tennessee thinks they can wait on tackle with Bill Callahan coaching the OL - Vikings move up with the Titans and moves a team that’s been penciled in for a tackle back behind the Jets.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Thought when I watched him and have heard it from some guys I listen to - the Shanahan schemes are going to like McCarthy. Can move, throw on the run, good enough arm, smart, takes care of the ball.

The new Atlanta coach has roots there, so does Minnesota’s. Lots of time for the veteran QB carousel to shake out.

I think this class has nine guys who are generally considered blue chip offensive prospects - of course opinions on individuals will vary - and of course the Jets pick tenth. McCarthy isn’t one of those generally considered blue chippers so if he can possibly go ahead of the Jets then somebody else slides.

The dream is that Minnesota wants to get up ahead of Atlanta to take him and Tennessee thinks they can wait on tackle with Bill Callahan coaching the OL - Vikings move up with the Titans and moves a team that’s been penciled in for a tackle back behind the Jets.

Man, I keep hearing it mentioned how much “the coaches” love McCarthy and it gives me the shakes. I know the Shanahan system takes a lot off the QBs plate, so they’re really looking for the smart kid with some athletic ability, but McCarthy is so much of a projection that I’d legitimately think—if I was the Vikings, etc—I’d rather throw a sixth a the $5.5 mil at Zach Wilson before I’d throw a first at McCarthy. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Man, I keep hearing it mentioned how much “the coaches” love McCarthy and it gives me the shakes. I know the Shanahan system takes a lot off the QBs plate, so they’re really looking for the smart kid with some athletic ability, but McCarthy is so much of a projection that I’d legitimately think—if I was the Vikings, etc—I’d rather throw a sixth a the $5.5 mil at Zach Wilson before I’d throw a first at McCarthy. 

They got to take him at ten. I'm telling you he's the guy

• Ugh 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think McCarthy effectively projects as a really high end game manager. Russell Wilson esque? Kind of guy who looks really good if he's playing off a run game and just asked to take care of the ball and create some big plays, but if you ask him to throw the rock as your primary way of moving the football things might get a little ugly. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, derp said:

I think McCarthy effectively projects as a really high end game manager. Russell Wilson esque? Kind of guy who looks really good if he's playing off a run game and just asked to take care of the ball and create some big plays, but if you ask him to throw the rock as your primary way of moving the football things might get a little ugly. 

At worst I think he'll be Alex Smith but with a great arm ... At best he could be big time like Elway or Staubach 

On 2/25/2024 at 1:21 PM, derp said:

I understand your projection as that is what we have seen to date, I just disagree for a few reasons.

In general, I dont like the term game manager being a negative because understanding down/distance/score, not turning the ball over and taking what the defense is giving you is how you win games.  Tom Brady was essentially a game manager outside of the few years he had moss.

With respect to projecting a QB, Kurt Warner had a great comment about how difficult it is to project these guys due to how little NFL type plays they execute in college, its all bubble screens, half field reads, etc.  I think this is where maybe JJ is an outlier.

For most QBs (Andrew Luck's aside) you have to hope you can take a guy with a lot of talent who had good stats in college and develop their timing, processing speed, and ability to execute the offense and pair with their physical skills to be a good NFL QB.   Can someone like Bo Nix develop - who knows.  He did have good stats and is a good athlete but can he develop pro skills?

For JJ he has already learned how to be a good game manager, protect the football, operate play action plus he does have + running ability and a + arm.  So with him, are we just saying that he is incapable of putting up big numbers?  

I dont see a scenario where we take him, but id much rather pay for a RT in free agency and take JJ to develop him for a year or 2 behind rogers and its not close.

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

I understand your projection as that is what we have seen to date, I just disagree for a few reasons.

In general, I dont like the term game manager being a negative because understanding down/distance/score, not turning the ball over and taking what the defense is giving you is how you win games.  Tom Brady was essentially a game manager outside of the few years he had moss.

With respect to projecting a QB, Kurt Warner had a great comment about how difficult it is to project these guys due to how little NFL type plays they execute in college, its all bubble screens, half field reads, etc.  I think this is where maybe JJ is an outlier.

For most QBs (Andrew Luck's aside) you have to hope you can take a guy with a lot of talent who had good stats in college and develop their timing, processing speed, and ability to execute the offense and pair with their physical skills to be a good NFL QB.   Can someone like Bo Nix develop - who knows.  He did have good stats and is a good athlete but can he develop pro skills?

For JJ he has already learned how to be a good game manager, protect the football, operate play action plus he does have + running ability and a + arm.  So with him, are we just saying that he is incapable of putting up big numbers?  

I dont see a scenario where we take him, but id much rather pay for a RT in free agency and take JJ to develop him for a year or 2 behind rogers and it’s not close.

I’m not sure I exactly get where you disagree, aside from saying you don’t think it’s reasonable to say McCarthy is “incapable of putting up big numbers” which I didn’t necessarily say. Did Russell Wilson ever put up big numbers? 

Was also just my best guess at a positive scenario for him, there’s other stuff in the range of outcomes, I just don’t think it’s especially likely. You bring up Tom Brady and Kurt Warner, do you think a single person on the planet would’ve said they “project” to be what they ended up being? They’d have been laughed out of the room. There’s almost always a higher end possibility that doesn’t get discussed much. 

Pretty sure you also complain about the use of game manager and then use game manager later. Just not exactly following.

5 hours ago, derp said:

I’m not sure I exactly get where you disagree, aside from saying you don’t think it’s reasonable to say McCarthy is “incapable of putting up big numbers” which I didn’t necessarily say. Did Russell Wilson ever put up big numbers? 

Was also just my best guess at a positive scenario for him, there’s other stuff in the range of outcomes, I just don’t think it’s especially likely. You bring up Tom Brady and Kurt Warner, do you think a single person on the planet would’ve said they “project” to be what they ended up being? They’d have been laughed out of the room. There’s almost always a higher end possibility that doesn’t get discussed much. 

Pretty sure you also complain about the use of game manager and then use game manager later. Just not exactly following.

I don't think McCarthy will make it out of the top 7 after the combine

2 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I don't think McCarthy will make it out of the top 7 after the combine

Yeah, but I think more like the 10th pick is where it stops and we'd be in prime position to trade down. I don't see the Giants taking a QB in the first and let's see what Atlanta does in free agency at QB, but Atlanta would be the only team I can see taking a QB outside of the top 3 QB prospects out of the first 9 picks and even then there will be a run on QBs because rounds 2-3 will look pretty barren for teams looking for a QB.

Picking right after us is Minnesota, Denver, Vegas, New Orleans, Indy, Seattle. Everyone one of those teams except Indy would be in position to trade up to 10 to get McCarthy or whichever QB they like.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:21 PM, derp said:

the problem i see with mccarthy is sooooo much of him as a prospect is projection. 

We just have not seen a ton of him being asked to throw the ball and the offense never flowed through him.  His tools and intangibles are top notch.  BIG arm (i dont know if he throws at the combine but the kid can whip the rock around)  Flexible arm too, can throw from multiple angles (the new rage)  But he's also going to run probably like a 4.5? Then factor in being trained by Harbaugh, how he'll interview and that he's a winner?  There a tonnnn on paper to like. 

Just again,  we havent really SEEN it yet.  So to take him top 20 is really just risky, even if he pans out. 

27 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah, but I think more like the 10th pick is where it stops and we'd be in prime position to trade down. I don't see the Giants taking a QB in the first and let's see what Atlanta does in free agency at QB, but Atlanta would be the only team I can see taking a QB outside of the top 3 QB prospects out of the first 9 picks and even then there will be a run on QBs because rounds 2-3 will look pretty barren for teams looking for a QB.

Picking right after us is Minnesota, Denver, Vegas, New Orleans, Indy, Seattle. Everyone one of those teams except Indy would be in position to trade up to 10 to get McCarthy or whichever QB they like.

First domino is where fields ends up.  If he goes to atlanta, the 8 spot is a prime trade up spot.  Also think tennessee may trade out of 7 if they get a good offer.  At this point, before combine, I’d say it’s a bit less than 50/50 mccarthy goes top 10 but that could change in a hurry.  I do think there’s a good chance the penn st OL falls to 10.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

the problem i see with mccarthy is sooooo much of him as a prospect is projection. 

We just have not seen a ton of him being asked to throw the ball and the offense never flowed through him.  His tools and intangibles are top notch.  BIG arm (i dont know if he throws at the combine but the kid can whip the rock around)  Flexible arm too, can throw from multiple angles (the new rage)  But he's also going to run probably like a 4.5? Then factor in being trained by Harbaugh, how he'll interview and that he's a winner?  There a tonnnn on paper to like. 

Just again,  we havent really SEEN it yet.  So to take him top 20 is really just risky, even if he pans out. 

Yup, totally agree. I guess it depends what kind of situation he’s going to. I don’t know if he needs to sit, but if he’s going to a team with a strong run game and good passing game options I’d feel better about him than if he’s asked to be the guy. Think he’d do well in Miami for example. Atlanta, maybe - we haven’t seen that staff yet but they have pieces. Minnesota would be interesting. A team like Oakland or Denver is probably a little more up in the air though. Just thinking of teams that will be in the market.

9 hours ago, derp said:

It seemed like you were saying if you rely on JJ to have to throw a ton its going to be a problem and I was just saying that there is no way we know that more or less with him then we do any other QB prospect.

As far as Brady I meant that as a reference to the game manager tag and I used Warner from his analysis that he tweeted the other day, not what he did as a player. 

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

It seemed like you were saying if you rely on JJ to have to throw a ton its going to be a problem and I was just saying that there is no way we know that more or less with him then we do any other QB prospect.

As far as Brady I meant that as a reference to the game manager tag and I used Warner from his analysis that he tweeted the other day, not what he did as a player. 

I didn’t say anything explicit. I do think we know less about him than some QB prospects. There are guys who have had success throwing a ton at the collegiate level, he has not because he hasn’t had the opportunity. Doesn’t mean he can’t, but it’s even a little more of a projection. Granted, the projection is hard for everyone - just think his is even harder in some ways.

On the other hand I do think we may know better than some others regarding his game manager skill set - in a positive way.

I understood what you meant regarding Brady and Warner, but since you brought them up they were convenient examples of what I was trying to express in the most recent post.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

First domino is where fields ends up.  If he goes to atlanta, the 8 spot is a prime trade up spot.  Also think tennessee may trade out of 7 if they get a good offer.  At this point, before combine, I’d say it’s a bit less than 50/50 mccarthy goes top 10 but that could change in a hurry.  I do think there’s a good chance the penn st OL falls to 10.

I like Fashanu a lot and would be psyched if he's there at 10. I'm not really sure why the media seems to be wavering on him and they're really pumping up Fuaga who is not the same prospect as Sewell even though they seem to be touting him as such.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The odds that JD is going QB at 10 in a win-now-or-be-fired season is slim to none. 

No point getting emotionally invested in something that will not happen.  

That's Woody's responsibility to assure Douglas job security in congruence with long term stability and what's best for the jets. Not what's best for immediate impact or joe Douglas. I hate the idea this isn't his approach ...if Woody is leading the organization putting pressure on Douglas " to win now" instead of being comprehensive, thats such a linear mindset and ridiculous... 

If Maye or McCarthy are there @10 it should absolutely be encouraged by ownership to take a high level QB prospect. Like duh

6 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

That's Woody's responsibility to assure Douglas job security in congruence with long term stability and what's best for the jets. Not what's best for immediate impact or joe Douglas. I hate the idea this isn't his approach ...if Woody is leading the organization putting pressure on Douglas " to win now" instead of being comprehensive, thats such a linear mindset and ridiculous... 

If Maye or McCarthy are there @10 it should absolutely be encouraged by ownership to take a high level QB prospect. Like duh

All well and good, QB still isn't going to happen at #10 with Aaron Rodgers on this team in a lame duck season for both GM and Head Coach. 

We can joust windmills over it, but it won't change it.  And Woody isn't going to change it either.

Maye will not be there at #10.

Personally, I'm entirely unconvinced McCarthy is such a sure-thing he warrants the pick at #10 anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, derp said:

Yup, totally agree. I guess it depends what kind of situation he’s going to. I don’t know if he needs to sit, but if he’s going to a team with a strong run game and good passing game options I’d feel better about him than if he’s asked to be the guy. Think he’d do well in Miami for example. Atlanta, maybe - we haven’t seen that staff yet but they have pieces. Minnesota would be interesting. A team like Oakland or Denver is probably a little more up in the air though. Just thinking of teams that will be in the market.

i think denver could be good just because payton is excellent with working with qbs. 

But minnesota to me seems the best fit.  Their run game should be stronger and he has a great cast of weapons to work with.  Addison, Jefferson, Hockenson.  Theres a ton of  RB's in FA this year.  That team could do really well with down the line with mccarthy.  I would sit him though for at least half the year.  He has had a lot of experience but not throwing the ball the amount that OConnell will ask of him. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:39 PM, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

At worst I think he'll be Alex Smith but with a great arm ... At best he could be big time like Elway or Staubach 

Alex Smith had elite arm strength.

4 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Reports are McCarthy is the best on the whiteboard in this class and his recall is reportedly outstanding. I'm praying he's there at ten. I got a bad feeling the giants are taking him

I hope he is there so we can trade down to some silly team.

Vastly overrated prospect.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

5 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Reports are McCarthy is the best on the whiteboard in this class and his recall is reportedly outstanding.

Word for word - Zach Wilson, March 2021

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1