CJ Mosley - Keep Or Release ???

C.J. Mosely - Restructure or Release ???  

59 members have voted

1. 1. C.J. Mosely - Restructure or Release ???

• Restructure Him - He Is Too Important A Piece To Let Go
    • Let Him Go - He Is Important, But the Cost Is Just Too High

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

After cutting him, two weeks into camp we will be raving about the later round pick or udfa or cheap Fa taking his spot and marvelling at the leadership of Quincy Williams.

He should be cut outright, if you want to ask him to take an insultingly low pay cut then by all means but he'll reject it.

Restructuring is what will happen but it's a big mistake.

Agree,  time to move on...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I think he's clearly fallen off a bit.  He's still a solid LB, but far from the Pro Bowler he was once.  If we can afford to keep him I'd lean that way.  Would rather not restructure him and push any extra money down the line.  At that point I'd just cut him.  There are some really exciting LB prospects coming out this year, especially if we're willing to invest that 3rd rounder into one.  Guys like Payton Wilson and Junior Colson, specifically.  

So yeah, ideally keep him as-is, no re-structure.  Otherwise cut and draft a kid:  promote Quincy to QB of the defense, and open up that #2 spot to a competition between Sherwood, Surratt, Barnes, and your new draft pick.  Getting younger and faster at LB wouldn't be a bad thing though, especially considering I think part of our run D struggles last year were due to Mosley not being as aggressive attacking the LOS as he once was.  Obviously upgrading DT2 will be the biggest thing to help fix that area, but a kid like Wilson or Colson coming in would help as well.  

For the purposes of the poll though I chose to cut him.

I don’t see how you can say he’s clearly fallen off?

He was an all-pro in 22, and had just as good of a year in 23.

This is a hard one however, but I question the replacement value out there. Teams like the Eagles and Steelers really struggled down the stretch without guys inside.

Devin White was benched and often quits in games. Wagner gave a hometown discount. Jordan Hicks and Cunningham are coming off a serious injuries. Queen, Jewell and Gay are all going to cost between $7-$10M. 

Reduce his salary is the real answer but he probably won’t do it, and if they weren’t all in this year, I’d cut him in a heartbeat.

I’d turn one of his void years into a couple million $, 1 yr. extension in new money with escalators and spread the cap hit over two years ($10-12 a year). Very similar to the deals the Bucs gave Lavonte David the last 3 years.

5 hours ago, varjet said:
  • Yes, I agree.  The money is compelling.  His salary is $17mm.  Devin White made $7.3mm last year.  
  • Mosley should give up, not push to the future, $8mm-$10mm.  If he gets cut he is signing a contract for $5mm-$7mm, tops.  Give him $8mm to stay.
  • But if he refuses, cut him, save the $11mm of cap and try to replace him for $5mm-$6mm.  

A cut and resign is a good option.

6 hours ago, Pac said:

They love CJ and he's the leader of the D.  Gotta try and restructure but ultimately he'll remain a Jet which is good news for the revenge tour. 

ARod is the unquestioned leader of this team right now. CJ is like a fat old Command Sergeant Major that likes to yell at privates when they walk on "his" grass.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I think he's clearly fallen off a bit.  He's still a solid LB, but far from the Pro Bowler he was once.  If we can afford to keep him I'd lean that way.  Would rather not restructure him and push any extra money down the line.  At that point I'd just cut him.  There are some really exciting LB prospects coming out this year, especially if we're willing to invest that 3rd rounder into one.  Guys like Payton Wilson and Junior Colson, specifically.  

So yeah, ideally keep him as-is, no re-structure.  Otherwise cut and draft a kid:  promote Quincy to QB of the defense, and open up that #2 spot to a competition between Sherwood, Surratt, Barnes, and your new draft pick.  Getting younger and faster at LB wouldn't be a bad thing though, especially considering I think part of our run D struggles last year were due to Mosley not being as aggressive attacking the LOS as he once was.  Obviously upgrading DT2 will be the biggest thing to help fix that area, but a kid like Wilson or Colson coming in would help as well.  

For the purposes of the poll though I chose to cut him.

Quincy will not be the QB of this defense. Hes a really good LB and making him think too much will hurt him IMHO. Lets see what Barnes has as the MLB I liked him a lot from what I saw in PS last year 

10 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

You approach him respectfully because he deserves it about a pretty big pay cut with incentives . If he rejects it you designate him a post June 1 cut. You then have all your money for the season emergency signings, practice squad and 2-3 solid free agents who are still available but for cheaper 

Respectfully my a$$.  He took a year off to play Johnny eff around.  Cut Raggedy Anne as fast as you can.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fantasy Island said:

Respectfully my a$$.  He took a year off to play Johnny eff around.  Cut Raggedy Anne as fast as you can.

I generally agree with what you're implying. I just don't know if that type of approach is good for the locker room. He's well respected 

You can do both. 

I agree the opt out stuff was ridiculous. 

Here is the rub.  

Cutting him pre-June 1 saves 11 Million on Cap.  Post-June 1 nearly 15.5 Million.

Can you sign someone outside of the building, whether free agency or draft, for significantly less with minimal fall off, perhaps even better play?

Yes.

Clear decision is move on.  Even if he took a huge pay cut, you can probably get younger and faster with minimal fall off.

His replacement may already be on the roster.

• Upvote 2

I think the whole issue is who his replacement could be.  It doesn’t seem like Sherwood is the guy.  Maybe Suratt?  Suratt could be interesting since he has some good talent and experience.  He could be another late bloomer like Demario Davis.  I know a lot of angst about Moseley are his coverage skills but I can’t remember when the jets ever had a lb who could cover tes.  Especially not with their  current two lb set.

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

After cutting him, two weeks into camp we will be raving about the later round pick or udfa or cheap Fa taking his spot and marvelling at the leadership of Quincy Williams.

Just like all of you marvelled at Gipson and Brownlee, lol.

Jets Fans love UDFA's more than any other fanbase, and hype them up to no end.

Then they generally are meh.  Just like Gipson.  Brownlee doesn't even warrant a meh yet, he's so irrelevant.

Don't fall for the old "any cheap FA/UDFA would be fine" so popular around here......it never works.

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just like all of you marvelled at Gipson and Brownlee, lol.

Jets Fans love UDFA's more than any other fanbase, and hype them up to no end.

Then they generally are meh.  Just like Gipson.  Brownlee doesn't even warrant a meh yet, he's so irrelevant.

Don't fall for the old "any cheap FA/UDFA would be fine" so popular around here......it never works.

Go look at my list of top 15 tackers in the leauge.

ILB is not WR nor CB, nor QB nor pass rusher nor OT

The player in questions makes tackles, does not blitz and does not cover at all.

The guy that lead the league in tackles?  Got cut due to his high salary, bounced to another team, came back and at like 7 million lead the league.

When your offense is holding you back and you have a young pass rusher who is going to leave, tackling lb should be about you last priority to keep around at a huge inflated contract.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Go look at my list of top 15 tackers in the leauge.

ILB is not WR nor CB, nor QB nor pass rusher nor OT

The player in questions makes tackles, does not blitz and does not cover at all.

The guy that lead the league in tackles?  Got cut due to his high salary, bounced to another team, came back and at like 7 million lead the league.

When your offense is holding you back and you have a young pass rusher who is going to leave, tackling lb should be about you last priority to keep around at a huge inflated contract.

Then like I said, I expect to see no drop-off whatsoever after he's gone.  If you're correct, our D should actually improve, so I look forward to that.

• Upvote 1

The only skill he brings to the table is leadership.  He can't tackle RBs within 5 yards of the LOS (only 5 TFLs in 1,128 snaps last season), he can't cover sh*t (94+ QB rating and 7.4+ yards per target each of the last 3 years) and he CERTAINLY doesn't get to the QB (1.5 Sacks, 5 QB Hits, 3 QB Knockdowns, 2 QB Pressures total over the last 2 seasons).  

Sounds like a guy who should be coaching for us, not playing.  And a coach salary doesn't count against the cap and is much, much cheaper than his stupid contract.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I obviously voted "Let him go", but disagree with him being "important".  Bad poll is bad.

@Sperm Edwards

Seriously. The only way to answer the poll - no matter which option one chooses - is "I still want Mosley starting on the Jets." There is no other option.

• Option A = I like him as starter and want him to continue to be a starter here.
  • Option B = I like him as starter and want him to continue to be a starter here.

Thumb on the scale much?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Then like I said, I expect to see no drop-off whatsoever after he's gone.  If you're correct, our D should actually improve, so I look forward to that.

#1 It wont be much worse, we hardly had a great run defense as it was.

If it is a bit worse?  So what?

17 million?

I'll take a guard and a WR

Or our backup QB and a guard

Or Bryce Huff alone.

All vastly better use of resources.

You are thinking like Saleh and the Jets.  Coming off a historically awful offensive year we don't want to do a thing to hurt the defense.

Don't worry though the Jets will agree with you and restructure him just adding to the huge cap liability in a year or two for a position and player that is easily replaced.

6 hours ago, hawk said:

Here is the rub.  

Cutting him pre-June 1 saves 11 Million on Cap.  Post-June 1 nearly 15.5 Million.

Can you sign someone outside of the building, whether free agency or draft, for significantly less with minimal fall off, perhaps even better play?

Yes.

Clear decision is move on.  Even if he took a huge pay cut, you can probably get younger and faster with minimal fall off.

His replacement may already be on the roster.

Who is your replacement of choice?

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

#1 It wont be much worse, we hardly had a great run defense as it was.

If it is a bit worse?  So what?

17 million?

I'll take a guard and a WR

Or our backup QB and a guard

Or Bryce Huff alone.

All vastly better use of resources.

You are thinking like Saleh and the Jets.  Coming off a historically awful offensive year we don't want to do a thing to hurt the defense.

Don't worry though the Jets will agree with you and restructure him just adding to the huge cap liability in a year or two for a position and player that is easily replaced.

Yes, the most right answer for Mosley is to rip the band-aid off and find an as good/better/younger player much cheaper.  

A right answer is to keep him for much less money, for one more year. 

Any answer that pays him the same or moves the same or more money into the future is wrong.

A good organization finds a way to replace overpaid players. 

Connor Hughes thought that the Jets should have kept LT to try and fill at least one hole on the OL and hope for better play.  That is a stretch, but if you are going to do that on any side of the ball, it would be offense.  The defense can take a chance.  

• Upvote 1