CJ Mosley - Keep Or Release ???

C.J. Mosely - Restructure or Release ???  

59 members have voted

1. 1. C.J. Mosely - Restructure or Release ???

• Restructure Him - He Is Too Important A Piece To Let Go
    • Let Him Go - He Is Important, But the Cost Is Just Too High

I know this has been kicked  around in other threads, but I want to take a survey of the posters in here to help me make my mind up.

Should New York rework the contract of their captain, they would save over 10 million. 

If he is cut after June 1st they would save 17 million and only have to eat $4 million in dead cap. Also... Sherwood had a very nice season.  Can he do the job ???

C.J. is the captain and calls the signals, but is the cost too high considering Sherwood may be able to get it done ???

Do they chance letting him go ???

Please vote...

I think he's clearly fallen off a bit.  He's still a solid LB, but far from the Pro Bowler he was once.  If we can afford to keep him I'd lean that way.  Would rather not restructure him and push any extra money down the line.  At that point I'd just cut him.  There are some really exciting LB prospects coming out this year, especially if we're willing to invest that 3rd rounder into one.  Guys like Payton Wilson and Junior Colson, specifically.  

So yeah, ideally keep him as-is, no re-structure.  Otherwise cut and draft a kid:  promote Quincy to QB of the defense, and open up that #2 spot to a competition between Sherwood, Surratt, Barnes, and your new draft pick.  Getting younger and faster at LB wouldn't be a bad thing though, especially considering I think part of our run D struggles last year were due to Mosley not being as aggressive attacking the LOS as he once was.  Obviously upgrading DT2 will be the biggest thing to help fix that area, but a kid like Wilson or Colson coming in would help as well.  

For the purposes of the poll though I chose to cut him.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Barkus said:

The coaching staff is weak at best. Need as many leaders and alphas as we can get. For that reason would keep Moseley. Cut him after this staff gets cleaned out and team starts over.

Every team needs leaders.  Coaches that lead are different than teammates who lead

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Barkus said:

The coaching staff is weak at best. Need as many leaders and alphas as we can get. For that reason would keep Moseley. Cut him after this staff gets cleaned out and team starts over.

From all accounts the defense isn't short on leadership.  If we're keeping a guy around for $21M for leadership purposes then we're probably already ****ed.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

• Yes, I agree.  The money is compelling.  His salary is $17mm.  Devin White made $7.3mm last year.  
  • Mosley should give up, not push to the future, $8mm-$10mm.  If he gets cut he is signing a contract for $5mm-$7mm, tops.  Give him $8mm to stay.
  • But if he refuses, cut him, save the $11mm of cap and try to replace him for $5mm-$6mm.  
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

A restructure to push money into the future should be OFF THE TABLE.

I prefer a salary cut from $17M down to between $8-$10M.  Possibly further.  A benchmark for a quality aging inside LB is the contract Bobby Wagner signed last year after a strong year.   1 year total $7M.  Wagner was 1 year older than what CJ will be this year.  The higher value for CJ above is a ‘leadership’ premium.  LOL.

Quite frankly, Wagner is better than Mosley.  

If CJ doesn’t accept this, then it’s a warm thank you and goodbye.

This is about winning.. not sentimentality.  

Hard to have a top 10 playoff Defense with a big hole at MLB.

I'm 100% fine with a restructure and smaller/shorter deal, is Mosely is willing to accept it (he won't be).

But if we move him, please don't be so naive as to think we can just plug some UDFA or cheap FA into that slot and still be the same.  You're going to have to spend real assets (either cap space for a new stud FA, or a higher draft pick if we have one) to fill that hole in Saleh's system.

I'd rather not spend all of 2024 reading threads about "Why has our Defense taken a big step back?" and folks in denial that dumping Mosely played any part in that falloff, lol. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm 100% fine with a restructure and smaller/shorter deal, is Mosely is willing to accept it (he won't be).

But if we move him, please don't be so naive as to think we can just plug some UDFA or cheap FA into that slot and still be the same.  You're going to have to spend real assets (either cap space for a new stud FA, or a higher draft pick if we have one) to fill that hole in Saleh's system.

I'd rather not spend all of 2024 reading threads about "Why has our Defense taken a big step back?" and folks in denial that dumping Mosely played any part in that falloff, lol. 

We have a difference in opinion in how good he is.

Or in whether he is still a 3 down LB.

Last year he was incredibly slow to the ball carrier on both running and passing plays.  

We also seem to have a difference in opinion on the importance of a middle linebacker.

But as I stated, I value leadership and continuity.  That’s why I would start with a salary reduction while still paying him a market premium rather than cutting him outright.

Lets not be naive about how overpaid he is or how useful those dollars are filling premium OT and WR positions.  That’s the opportunity cost 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We have a difference in opinion in how good he is.

Or in whether he is still a 3 down LB.

Last year he was incredibly slow to the ball carrier on both running and passing plays.  

We also seem to have a difference in opinion on the importance of a middle linebacker.

But as I stated, I value leadership and continuity.  That’s why I would start with a salary reduction while still paying him a market premium rather than cutting him outright.

Lets not be naive about how overpaid he is or how useful those dollars are filling premium OT and WR positions.  That’s the opportunity cost 

Like I said, not stressing it either way.  I have no real hope we win in 2024 regardless.

But it'll be fun to see how it all plays out and if his long-standing mostly-salary-based critics turn out right or not.

The view of Mosely around the NFL vs that held here on JN remains very different.   

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

linebacker that makes tackles is by far the easiest thing to find in the NFL.  He would be missed for a week until the next guy steps in and makes tackles like he does and another player becomes 'leader'

The top 15 or so tacklers from the nfl last year, most of them were cheap and low picks or FAs or cheap FA signings, about 3 of them were mosley esque, big money guys.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

linebacker that makes tackles is by far the easiest thing to find in the NFL.  He would be missed for a week until the next guy steps in and makes tackles like he does and another player becomes 'leader'

The top 15 or so tacklers from the nfl last year, most of them were cheap and low picks or FAs or cheap FA signings, about 3 of them were mosley esque, big money guys.

Then we should have no problem maintaining or improving our D once he's gone.  Great!  

• Upvote 1

You approach him respectfully because he deserves it about a pretty big pay cut with incentives . If he rejects it you designate him a post June 1 cut. You then have all your money for the season emergency signings, practice squad and 2-3 solid free agents who are still available but for cheaper 

• Upvote 1

You HAVE to keep him for this short play with Rodgers. If this team actually makes a run for 1 yr…next year they 💯 NEED the vet leadership. Less the player skills and more about the personality/experience. Only the dumbass Jets would let him go for next yr. 

Disclaimer: I don’t even think he’s that great of a player or anything anymore

• Upvote 1

The smart thing to do is probably just cut him and move on.

The team is all in on winning this year though, so they'll definitely keep him. Probably restructure and push more money to the future, which is realistically the dumbest move we can make, depending on how much you believe in our 2024 prospects.

I know this has been kicked  around in other threads, but I want to take a survey of the posters in here to help me make my mind up.
Should New York rework the contract of their captain, they would save over 10 million. 
If he is cut after June 1st they would save 17 million and only have to eat $4 million in dead cap. Also... Sherwood had a very nice season.  Can he do the job ???
C.J. is the captain and calls the signals, but is the cost too high considering Sherwood may be able to get it done ???
Do they chance letting him go ???
Please vote...

I can see the Jets letting him go.

I also see a chance a non LB moves into the group.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app