Back up QB

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Backup quarterbacks don't win in this league. At least not with any sort of regularity. And when they do, they are almost always carried by the team around them.

It's a dime a dozen situation. QB40 vs. QB60 just doesn't make much difference.

Like I said, it's a strange fascination. 

The fascination with backup is because the Jets knowingly carried one who cannot play. They also let a perfectly fine backup leave in White because of this player. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Backup quarterbacks don't win in this league. At least not with any sort of regularity. And when they do, they are almost always carried by the team around them.

It's really not that strange. 

A Jets QB hasn't made it through the season uninjured for a decade. In JDs 5 years, we've lost our starting QB by the end of week 1 three times. 

We don't need a great backup. But, if Rodgers misses a month (and Jets history suggests this is pretty much a certainty), it's important to have someone who can step in and go 2-2 and not torpedo everything. 

The alternative is we do what we did last year: wait for Rodgers to get injured. Then everyone can act surprised, throw their hands in the air, the season can be written off, everyone gets an extension (because if it weren't for them injuries...) and Saleh can spend the next few months working on his golf game whilst the team stumbles to another 7-10.

40 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

We should pick up Zach’s fifth year extension

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Brissett or Minshew probably get the Jets into the playoffs last year. But even if you don’t want to stipulate that, let’s take a season-ending injury off the table. What if Rodgers sprains his ankle and has to miss a month? You’re cool letting Zach Wilson go 0-4 in those games?

Funny, Jets fans here expect Rodgers to miss 4 or more games while backup QBs like Brissett and Minshew don’t. 

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I mean isn't it pretty obvious we're getting Tannehill?  That works for me..  Probably 1a to Brissett 1b.

Tannehill is perfect.  He can come in on lobsided games and start in a pinch or a few games if need be.  He's got a good QB IQ, has good legs and a decent arm.  What is JD waiting for? We havent signed anyone today while everyone has made significant splashes.  

26 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Zach stays and is the backup next year this guy somehow rises from the ashes every year after he burns it down 

No way. Not after Saleh demoted him and Woody flat out embarrased him saying we didnt have a back up QB last year.  I dont think Woody would even stand for this.  I like JD, but he is really getting on my last nerve.  

14 hours ago, bitonti said:

The fascination with the backup is because we all know deep down that Aaron is completely washed and not making it through 10 games, let alone 17 

Wut? Are you mad?  17 games? I set my over under at 17 plays. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

What does this even mean

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Wut? Are you mad?  17 games? I set my over under at 17 plays. 

I think this, but don’t quote me, though I’m the one that’s quoting. But still. 

18 minutes ago, Pac said:

You can't make the shots you don't take. 

I have no idea what this means in this context, tbqh.

EDIT:  Oh, this was a joke because we'd signed Tyrod.  Sorry, had just got online and hadn't heard/read that news when I read your post.  Got it now.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

We should pick up Zach’s fifth year extension

Zach is as good as gone. If the Jets don't find a trade partner, he'll be cut.

The Jets will be bringing in a veteran backup. Does it really matter whether it's Tannehill, Taylor, Wentz, Winston, Darnold, or Trubisky? Not really.

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Zach is as good as gone. If the Jets don't find a trade partner, he'll be cut.

The Jets will be bringing in a veteran backup. Does it really matter whether it's Tannehill, Taylor, Wentz, Winston, Darnold, or Trubisky? Not really.

If was Tyrod.  We signed Tyrod.

• Upvote 1