Back up QB

40 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

If JD doesn’t get Minshew or Brisset then it’s a failed Free agency do you agree?

He’s not signing either of these guys lol. The fact anyone thought these were a possibility was delusional. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets are about to enter a season where they have a top 10 all-time QB at the end of his career matched up with a top 5 defense and a couple of high end offensive play makers. They have 2 returning starters on the OL and Allen Lazard is currently their #2 WR. The idea that a backup QB, rather than OL & WR will make or break free agency is misguided, disgusting and you should feel bad for suggesting it.

So what happened when that HOF 40 year old QB went down 4 plays in, I guess you were happy with Zach and Siemian yeah let’s do that again!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, SoJetsy said:

So what happened when that HOF 40 year old QB went down 4 plays in, I guess you were happy with Zach and Siemian yeah let’s do that again!

Ok, so we sign Brisset or Minshew and no other WR or OL but JD has done his job.

You really picked a good screen name

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

We aren't superbowl contenders without that HOF 40 year old QB. We need a backup QB but it's much more important that the GM services the main thing first. The main thing should be trying to take advantage of the Rodgers window.

• Upvote 1

If I had to rank the Jets list of priorities, a "top" backup quarterback would probably be near the bottom.  If Rodgers gets hurt, the season is over.  Just like last season.

This fascination with the backup quarterback is strange.

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

If JD doesn’t get Minshew or Brisset then it’s a failed Free agency do you agree?

no.

but you should prepare yourself because we are not getting either of them.

after what Minshew did last year hes going to a place he can start. and historical guys like Brissett go to back up rookie QBs where they know they can get some games.

you need to set your sites a little lower than them.

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

If I had to rank the Jets list of priorities, a "top" backup quarterback would probably be near the bottom.  If Rodgers gets hurt, the season is over.  Just like last season.

You need a backup who can give you competitive reps. The problem with the backup last year was that it was Zach Wilson, whose market still appears to be robust.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

The fascination with the backup is because we all know deep down that Aaron is completely washed and not making it through 10 games, let alone 17 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Not necessarily. Couple other back ups that are at least some what interesting. Tyrod Taylor, Sam Howell, tannenhill, huntley, dobbs, wentz, winston....there are some decent guys out there with a bunch of starts under their belts. If your starter goes down, you're likely in a bad spot regardless of who you have as a backup. A good backup can just play to their abilities without getting over whelmed and keep things average. 

Been rumored for weeks

Jeremy Fowler ⁦‪@JFowlerESPN‬⁩

Source: #Patriots plan to sign quarterback Jacoby Brissett. 

A reunion in New England. pic.twitter.com/Y3qZwMSg72

3/11/24, 8:22 PM

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Brissett or Minshew probably get the Jets into the playoffs last year. But even if you don’t want to stipulate that, let’s take a season-ending injury off the table. What if Rodgers sprains his ankle and has to miss a month? You’re cool letting Zach Wilson go 0-4 in those games?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I want Wentz. He's still relatively young, and if Rodgers retires in a couple years you at worst have a competent bridge QB 

It would look pretty strange if JD ended up signing Wentz when he could've had him this past year but declined.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets are about to enter a season where they have a top 10 all-time QB at the end of his career matched up with a top 5 defense and a couple of high end offensive play makers. They have 2 returning starters on the OL and Allen Lazard is currently their #2 WR. The idea that a backup QB, rather than OL & WR will make or break free agency is misguided, disgusting and you should feel bad for suggesting it.

Well it was make or break on making last season watchable, so….

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It would look pretty strange if JD ended up signing Wentz when he could've had him this past year but declined.

I always hear negative things about Wentz in the locker room.  I just cant see Aaron wanting to share the QB room with a guy like that.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Brissett or Minshew probably get the Jets into the playoffs last year. But even if you don’t want to stipulate that, let’s take a season-ending injury off the table. What if Rodgers sprains his ankle and has to miss a month? You’re cool letting Zach Wilson go 0-4 in those games?

Backup quarterbacks don't win in this league. At least not with any sort of regularity. And when they do, they are almost always carried by the team around them.

It's a dime a dozen situation. QB40 vs. QB60 just doesn't make much difference.

Like I said, it's a strange fascination.