Who is going to be the shock player that plummets in the draft

Every year there is a player that seems to be a lock for the Top 10 but then drops and drops and drops.

Any thoughts on who that player might be?

My first thought was thought it would be JJ McCarthy who seems to have an unwarranted skyrocket on the draft boards/mock drafts but there is so much smoke about Giants/Vikings all wanting him that it seems like he is almost a lock Top 10 if not Top 4 now.

So if QBs go Top 4 and the Giants stay at 6, then 5 and 6 are both WRs unless Harbaugh's comments were not a smokescreen and they go OL. 7 is likely OL and 8 is probably best defensive player available. 

Then Chicago could go EDGE or 3rd receiver

A wild card might be Lathan going as 1st or 2nd OL but still it really seems like the Top 8 at least are almost written in stone at this point, so I am not sure I really see anyone that will tumble and be a shock to be there at 10 or after.

Top 7 is going to be 4 QBs 2 WRs and OL or 4QBs 1 WR and 2 OL no matter what.

I don't see a dropper but with I do see us maybe needing to target 8 as a trade up to guarantee what we want whether that is 2nd OL or 2nd receiver

I think Latham could go to the Titans. Whether they move down or not I don’t know. Seems like a Callahan type.

Bowers strikes me as someone draft media will be higher on than NFL teams, so everyone’s going to see him at 7 on Jeremiah’s big board and start clamoring about him sliding but I’m not so sure where his landing spot is, especially if the Jets don’t take him. I could see him tumble. Maybe I’ll look silly after he works out.

Everybody else is kind of outside of that top tier of prospects. Fashanu slides maybe if Latham is the first or second tackle and then defense starts going - maybe extra if Fuaga or Fautanu move up there.

• Upvote 2

I heard an interesting discussion about JJ McCarthy’s rise through the process despite underwhelming on-field performance, and the narrative that he could go second overall! and everyone was intrigued! And then the host reminded us that it’s exactly what they were saying about Will Levis last year before he dropped to the second round.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I heard an interesting discussion about JJ McCarthy’s rise through the process despite underwhelming on-field performance, and the narrative that he could go second overall! and everyone was intrigued! And then the host reminded us that it’s exactly what they were saying about Will Levis last year before he dropped to the second round.

True. I think the difference is that there are so many teams basically without a QB:

Chicago

Washington

NE

Minnesota

Broncos 

We could see 5 QBs in the first 11

• Upvote 2

On 3/30/2024 at 11:16 PM, T0mShane said:

That and Levi's didn't do sh*t in College. Not a McCarty fan but Levi's. Cmon man.

I don't really think Maye slides but I kind of wonder if Daniels could. Feel like he needs a team that's going to buy into utilizing his play style. I think it's best for the Jets if that happens at 2 but I'm not entirely sure.

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Bowers is going to be interesting.  He could go as high as 10 or he could drop to the 20s.  

I think he falls only b/c of his position.  I think teams will love him but will take other positions, including the jets. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2024 at 11:16 PM, T0mShane said:

If zach can go #2 so can JJ

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:50 PM, JohnnyLV said:

Top 7 is going to be 4 QBs 2 WRs and OL or 4QBs 1 WR and 2 OL no matter what.

I can totally see it being 4 QBs and 3 WR.  

I can see McCarthy dropping.  He's getting blown up a ton.  That could be legit or it could be teams trying to fluff him up to see what everyone else is thinking.  He has more right to got top 10 than Wilson did, but Wilson's failure isn't going to do his draft position any favors either. 

I talk myself in and out of these guys all the time.  My earliest thought would have been Odunze, but I guess I have come on board.  I have no idea what to make of Bowers.  I think his ratings have been all over the map anyway.  Would him going 20 really be a "slide?"  The Bills traded up for Kincaid at 25 and I'm pretty sure they are satisfied with the ROI.  Bowers is world's better as a prospect and LaPorta's year probably helps pump up teams thinking about TE value.  I'd expect him to go 10-20.

36 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Define "slides" - he won't get past the top 10

that's kind of the theme of the thread, no? I have him falling past 10, maybe into the 20's. It's not something people expect and there's a good chance I'm wrong. 

I'm taking a flyer on the recent diva/off-field reports coupled with his comments about how the Giants would need to figure out the QB situation if they drafted him. 

JJ McCarthy is the QB who’s been most often brought up in “as high as #2”. Every year there’s one QB who is used this way in gamesmanship. I think it’s him, if it happens at all this year.

After that, it’s hard to call anything a “slide” as this draft feels very even with prospects 9-40. It’s only the projected top 8 that make me perk up…. Which I obviously mean get a big boner.

A few players come to mind. 

1. C.Williams: If CHI doesn't take him, I could see him drop as far as the Broncos or Raiders. Minn seems to really like JJ. So is that him dropping A TON? Well, considering everyone has him going #1 overall. Yes. 

2. Jer'Zhan Newton: Not too long ago considered a top 10 prospect. Now barely talked about as a 1st round prospect.  

3. Penix: Injury history could scare teams away. I could see him drop out of Rd. 1 despite a lot of talk of him potentially being the #4 QB.

4. Fuaga: So much hype around guys like Fautanu, Mims, Latham, even Morgan and Guyton. That Fuaga, who was considered at one point to be the consensus #3 OT but seems to be strictly a RT, might drop to the early twenties. 

5. Liatu Latu: Edge defenders in general will drop because of the awesome talent on offense in this draft. But Latu, atone point considered the #2 behind Turner, could drop to the 4th Edge taken behind Turner, Verse and Robinson. Putting him somewhere in the late teens early twenties. 

6. Cornerbacks: This is a good draft for CBs. Its just so much better for WRs, O-linemen and even QBs. I could see this a scenario where the first CB goes in the twenties.  

• 2 weeks later...